June 4th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/4/08

Breaking news tonight: Senator Hillary Clinton will suspend her campaign on Saturday and on that same day will endorse Sen. Barack Obama. Is this too late? Should she have done it last night instead of telling her supporters she hadn't made any decisions and asking them to weigh in on her web site.

Tonight, we'll look back on how Barack Obama became the presumptive nominee. What did he do right? What did she do wrong? And what about Bill Clinton? What impact did he have on her campaign? We'll also look ahead at the general election. What are the strategies for Sen. McCain and Sen. Obama? We've got a lot to talk about tonight with the Best Political Team on Television.

And don't forget about the live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jolene

Well, wouldn't be interesting if John McCain selects a female running mate, especially one strong in the economy. I have to admit, though, his speeches are getting better.

June 4, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Maureen T

Eventually it will be interesting to see the debates between McCain and Obama...

June 4, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  3. Cathy

Glad David Gergen is "trying" to blog with us. Agree, Obama/the campaign does need to take charge of this or the Clinton people will keep pushing him into a corner.

David, I think you would be an excellent advisor to the Obama campaign! Always fair in your assessments!

June 4, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  4. Bonnie

Mr. Gergen–what do you think Obama means when he says he's the candidate of change–what's he going to change and how is he going to do it?

June 4, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

AC, that's ok... Great to have David on the blog but better to hear his viewpoints about Hillary potentially as VP.

June 4, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Maria Gama

David Gergen!
    I most certainly agree with you. Obama is in No position to exhale in relief. And get back there with full force.

June 4, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Kim

Aw, Anderson, let him blog... We love the team interacting with us

June 4, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Zack

David I agree with you point about how Obama defines his own voice. And ordinarily he would be doing this today if he wasn't he;d hostage by Hillary.

June 4, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  9. andersoncnn

we keep pulling david away from the computer so he can be on the air. sorry

June 4, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Claire

David Gergen, thanks for joining in! I always appreciate your calm and rational view of politics. You never seem to take sides and that really shows. Glad to have you blogging.

June 4, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Gloria

David, I don't think Barack Obama should let McCain call the shots. He never has a large crowd. Maybe thats why he wants Barack to join him in these town hall meetings.

June 4, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  12. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Welcome David Gergen. I think we have just ended a long election and now have the final leg of the race. It's time to have the debating begin between the two men running. I look forward to it.

June 4, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  13. Quentin- Ceres, CA

David G is on the mark with his comment about Barrack taking charge of his campaign. I believe that based on his interview today with Brian (from the peacock affiliates) he is already starting to do so.....Go Obama "08!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  14. Stacy

Hi David. Always love seeing you on 360. You're right that both Clinton and McCain have stolen the headlines from Obama today. But I think we'll see something from him soon–perhaps some stoking of the VP rumor mill.

June 4, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  15. Shannon

To David Gergen's point, I think that Obama is walking a very fine line not offending Hillary's supporters. If he doesn't give her space and let her react how she will than he risks losing their vote. He has to appear strong and pivot to the general, but he cannot be in anyway perceived as disrespectful.

June 4, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  16. Liz

I agree w/Rendell, Hillary is not a team player. Obama needs a VP that is loyal to him and to his campaign, not someone that has her own agenda. Besides the RNC started their ads today running the tape of Hillary saying Obama is not ready to be commander in chief–awkward.

June 4, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  17. Rory

Welcome David!! 🙂

June 4, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  18. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Hey David I agree with you! 😉

June 4, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  19. Wanda, DC

I doubt he can win without Hillary, Bill, and her supporters so the Obama team better think through what they need to do to win. The Clinton's are among the brightest leaders who have devoted their lives to public service and good despite his indiscretions.

P.S. Tell David Gerghen to stop talking. He clearly disrepects women.

June 4, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  20. Jane

It Jane & thats what they have advisors for. What experience did Bill Clinton & Al Gore have as a President or VP when they won they WH.

They had advisors.

June 4, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  21. Karen--Leesburg

Great to have you on board, David! This is a cool forum and is as Marshall McCluen said, "The medium is the message. . . ."

June 4, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  22. Zenta, New York, New York, NY

Mr. Gergen...welcome to blogging finally!

June 4, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  23. Cynthia

I agree totally with David Gergen. Senator Obama now will be able to as the nominee get out and set his own agenda. I have watched all candidates give speeches, debates and sorry to say John McCain puts me to sleep.

June 4, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  24. Maureen T

Erica, love your sense of humour! You and Anderson make a "heavy" polictical program light...:)

June 4, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  25. Renee

Carter is so outdated! The man needs to stay in Plains and eat peanuts!

June 4, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  26. kim-chicago

I am confused by all the Hillary supporters who say they will now vote for McCain...I did not support Hillary because when she voted for this war she lost my support...but if she had won the nomination there is no question I would have voted for her...Have any of you really been listening to John McCain?? Talk about going back to the dark ages!! I truly don't understand.

June 4, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Mary

Bill Richardson for VP and Obama can kiss the White House good-bye. holly-molly don't knock your self out Obama.

Bragging on Hillary will not cut it with Hillary Supporters, we can see through a smoke screen. We are smart voters.

June 4, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Jolene

Hi David Gergen! Thanks for blogging. Always appreciate your point of view on things. To me, Obama doesn't come off as a fighter so I agree he needs to show the voters he can take charge.

June 4, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  29. Hannah Storm

David Gergen joined the live blog.......WELCOME!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Zack

If Hillary is so experienced, why is she waiting to end her primary run? Why does she have to talk to her advisers, can't she make up her own mind? She is showing the world that she is not ready to run the country, she really never ran her campaign. And that's S A D.

June 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Jacqui Chan

"boo remix", U r 2 funny Erica

June 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Claire in Birmingham, AL

I about fell out of my chair laughing when Anderson said 'I wanna be your boo" XD

I so desperately want an Obama/Edwards ticket. I think that would just be epic.

June 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, Ohio

Mary, If Obama chooses Clinton for VP she will never get the chance to run for president if he wins. At least if McCain wins he will only serve one term and she would still have a chance.

June 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  34. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Jo Ann, I heard about that change of heart on Iran today, too. Pretty interesting. I wonder what else he'll see the light on before November.

June 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Chuck in Alabama

David Gergen, Just what is it that is keeping Obama's supporters and the MSM focused on Hillary? Fear? Hate? What?

June 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  36. Jackie

Bill could not be VP. He isn't eligible to be Pres again.

June 4, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  37. ericacnn

glad you all enjoyed the "boo" remix 😉

June 4, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  38. David Gergen

Hello everyone... this is the first time I have joined the blog in progress... fascinating process... and it is wonderful to see so many of you joining in... gives all of us a sense that this is more of a conversaation than one-way communication...

Anyway, the point I was trying to make try toward the close of the first panel is that Barack Obama, riding on his historic victory, now needs to take charge of the dialogue about the fall. Isn't it odd that the night after he broke through, we opened up with a discussion about Hillary Clinton? And is it a good thing for him that it was John McCain today who took the initiative today in calling for a series of town hall meetings? In my view, Obama now needs to put his own stamp on the reality of the campaign if he wants to keep lifting himself up.

More in a bit.... David

June 4, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse, NY

OMG Janet! Obama/Caroline Kennedy? Between the two of them they would have less than zero experience. What's next Stewy and Brian from Family Guy?

June 4, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Jolene

@Becca: Obama taking Bill Clinton as VP would be a big slap in the face to Hillary, that would never happend.

June 4, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Steve from California

Barack Obama, the man from from "cyberspace".

June 4, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Tracey - Boston

Obama/Kennedy(Caroline) would be awesome!!!

June 4, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I think Bill helped Hillary. I met him here in my town and he was very cordial and passionate~

June 4, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Karen--Leesburg

Hey! Whoa! Why should Caroline Kennedy NOT be part of the VP search team?? She graduated from Radcliffe College/Harvard University and Columbia Law School , is an author, activist and mother. (She didn't have to take the Bar Exam more than once either!) She could BE VP!!

June 4, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Jean Baptiste Franck

I think it would be a huge mistake if senator Obama pick Hillary as his running mate. As we saw last she still didn't make it any better for the democratic party by not conceding. It's a price that she would have to pay now.

June 4, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Diane Tolbert

Hillary lost.....she didn't have the most popular votes nor the most delegates. I didn't know the Clintons where such sore losers. This is a historic event for Obama and a moment that we won't forget how selfish she is.

June 4, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Shannon

Caroline Kennedy is a very good choice. Obama did not get where he is right now without having a keen sense of who to have on his staff.

June 4, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  48. EJ (USA)

I was one of those people googling "boo" last night.

June 4, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Jasmine from MD

Sean I am a female and I did not Vote for Hillary in the primary. I think that he will be ok with the woman vote. We need to just get on board and bring the Democrates back in the house.

June 4, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Why wouldn't any of the Dem VP choices have the same 'old school' issue as Hillary? Richardson has been around a long time, as has most of the other names I've heard. Obama has to pick someone with more experience than he has.

June 4, 2008 at 10:24 pm |