June 4th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/4/08

Breaking news tonight: Senator Hillary Clinton will suspend her campaign on Saturday and on that same day will endorse Sen. Barack Obama. Is this too late? Should she have done it last night instead of telling her supporters she hadn't made any decisions and asking them to weigh in on her web site.

Tonight, we'll look back on how Barack Obama became the presumptive nominee. What did he do right? What did she do wrong? And what about Bill Clinton? What impact did he have on her campaign? We'll also look ahead at the general election. What are the strategies for Sen. McCain and Sen. Obama? We've got a lot to talk about tonight with the Best Political Team on Television.

And don't forget about the live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kim

EJ, I am not saying having Caroline Kennedy on the team is a bad idea. I just never knew she did anything in politics at all. If she wants to be involved, good for her. Surprised me, is all.

June 4, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  2. Shirley Woodyard

Mrs. Clinton I hope will be the woman I've always believed she was and man up on Saturday and concede.

June 4, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Becca

How great would it be if Obama took Bill Clinton as his VP?

June 4, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  4. cana

I think Chelsea Clinton will be a good VP for unity of the party
    and for the message of ' CHANGE'

June 4, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  5. Andrew, Lafayette IN

the 'boo' thing was pretty funny.. thanks for the laugh erica and anderson

June 4, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Stacy

Glad to see 360 embracing Anderson's "boo" comment; the Internets certainly have.

June 4, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  7. Janet Deering

Anderson,
    Wouldn't be a great idea for Caroline Kennedy to be on the ticket with Barack Obama. She is well respected and a woman who could inspire women to vote.

June 4, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Maria Gama

JOLENE : The voters want their voices to be heard. They probably feel unimportant, those who voted for Hillary. Well This is the only way they can be in the spot light again.. "Choose Hillary, of You won't we chosen"

June 4, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  9. Jacqui Chan

boo is homie slang 4 sweetie

June 4, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Mary

Hillary Clinton for VP, yes sir re:. Hillary Clinton for VP. Hillary Clinton for VP.

Obama don't let people with bad intention lead you away from Hillary Clinton for VP. You two together will make an unbeatable team. Take her on the ticket and march striaght to the White House.

June 4, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  11. Becca

I don't think that Clinton will run on the ticket with Obama. How could Barack possibly be comfortable with Bill in the White House with him? And how would Hillary deal with that? I think that ticket is doomed to fail.

June 4, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  12. Andre

Anderson,
    What about Chuck Hagel as a VP for Obama or Richardson?

June 4, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Zenta, New York, New York, NY

I'm totally disappointed with the decision of California Supreme Counrt; they are against thier own ruling...

June 4, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Kim

I think, Hillary Clinton would be awesome in a cabinet position where she can run her own topics. I don't think having her and Bill as VP would be a good idea.

June 4, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Lyn

There could not be a worse choice for VP than Hillary. She has never demonstrated the slightest "team player" attribute necessary for number 2. He would never have his own identity.

June 4, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, Ohio

Mike, Syracuse NY; If you find out let me know. Did you hear that Obama has changed his opinion on Iran? Now it is a "serious threat, " It seems like he said the opposite in Oregon just the other day.

June 4, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Nancy.......I agree with you too. I hope that she would run best candidate president, but not! I will try switch to McCain to vote.

June 4, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  18. Fred Chicago, IL.

It'll be hard for Obama because hardcore HRC supporters seem to only care about her, not the country. It's like kids on the schoolyard. I can't get my way so I'll take my marbles and go home.

June 4, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Shannon

I don't think that all 18 million people that voted, live by Hillary's orders. I think most of them naturally would go Democratic and the few more militant supporters would be upset no matter what.

June 4, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Steve from California

Hillary would undermine "change'? There's that word again. I just would like to know exactly what that means. Will the celestial choir start to sing to signal this change? I'd like some specifics from Barack.

June 4, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hopefully Obama and McCain will choose who is best for them for VP. It's a decision that will speak volumes about their leadership skills.

June 4, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  22. ericacnn

hi, everyone

June 4, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  23. andersoncnn

good evening everyone

June 4, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Sean, Albuquerque NM

Why is it that out of all the possible VP candidates that were speculated, the only reason that was shown that Obama could take a woman as his VP is if he wants the female vote?

June 4, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  25. Maureen T

Have faith in Barack Obama. He's only just begun...

June 4, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Yvonne

Obama cannot put Hillary on the ticket to serve a short-term purpose of winning votes. She will not serve him well as VP.

June 4, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  27. Chuck in Alabama

Frankly, I could care less what color or sex the president is, I just want someone that can HEAL America!

June 4, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Kim

If all of her supporters are saying they'll vote McCain anyways, then why put her on the ticket at all?

June 4, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  29. John D

No. if Hillary wanted to wait to due some soul searching that is her right. I hope Obama picks her for VP because he may not win without her and America can not handle an 4 years of John McCain.

June 4, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Clara from Cali

I cannot get behind the idea of an Obama-Clinton ticket. Obama=change, a new order. Clinton=yesterday, old-school. It's like oil & water, or cats & dogs. They just don't mix.

June 4, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Zenta, New York, New York, NY

It sounds like Mr. Obama wants Ms. Clinton's help at least (hopefully to ask her for becoming vice president) because he praised her a lot in the speech yesterday. If he cannot get help from her, I don't think Mr. Obama will not be able to win; he still has a lot of weaknesses in terms of becoming the President...

June 4, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  32. Kim

Jo Ann, it wasn't his campaign that seriously miscalculated, fought among themselvers and went broke twice... it was hers. I am just wondering, if she was listening to the wrong advice or simply underestimated the Obama campaign. Either way it speaks of poor management and budgeting skills.

June 4, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Cynthia

Senator Obama also campaigned as the candidate of change. Senator Clinton and Bill would not be a change.

June 4, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Fred Chicago, IL.

Why people would vote against their own interests just because their candidate didn't win makes absolutely no sense. Vote for McCain so we can stay in Iraq, let the economy continue to go down the toilet, cement the conservatives for years in the Supreme Court. Let's do that, instead of just voting Obama who's positions were almost in lockstep with Hillary.

June 4, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Anne

I would like to see Obama select Gov. Bill Richardson as his VP.

June 4, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Larry

Yeah! Bill Richardson for VP!

June 4, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  37. Stephen Gitau

The Clinton camp need to chill out as one legislature said. Obama is in charge of his Presidential campaign and he gets to decide. The posturing by the Clinton campaign needs to end. Obama can handle it.

June 4, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Maria Gama

Kim, I hear you. And I think Hillary will try her best to help Obama to win, look good when he does, work hard when he is president and hopefully for her, do a better job than him... and then... take the white house.
    I don't think she underestimates the voters to play it dirty.

June 4, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  39. Tammy, Berwick, LA

I think Hillary needs to be cut some slack by those who say she should have conceded last night. A huge dream was lost, reality is kicking in, and that takes time to get over. Give it to her. I do think Bill Clinton as Mr. VP will be Obama's worst nightmare in the White House. I don't think he'd be willing to play third fiddle.

June 4, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  40. Chuck in Alabama

Mike in Syracuse, I like the way you think! I can't believe Caroline Kennedy is on the VP search team.

June 4, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Stacy

I think Clinton is all wrong for VP. Obama needs someone from the south or someone with military experience. Clinton should get a cabinet position.

June 4, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Bonnie

If I were Hillary–I take a nice relaxing vacation (Hawaii maybe)–and then decide what to do.

June 4, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Michaela, San Diego

I just have to step back and find this really exciting.

We're in the United States, blogging about the first African American presidential candidate, and wether there will be a woman running mate.

No matter which way you look at it, the Democratic Party made history.

Regardless what happens, this'll be in the history books.

June 4, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  44. Mary

I really hope that Obama will not listen to hate monger and make Hillary the VP. Hillary can really help Obama but I think if he ask her to unite the party and help to make him President he should want to make her VP. She has every thing he needs to bring the party together.

If Obama uses Hillary and then abuses her it will not look good to the Hillary Supporters. Hillary is my vote for Obama without her my vote will move to McCain.

June 4, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Jolene

It is interesting to hear voters wanting to switch parties if Hillary is not named VP, I guess it is more about the candidates than the issues they or the party stands for.

June 4, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  46. Robert

Hey Nancy, I'm a Republican who wants to vote for Obama, lets just switch!

June 4, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

EJ~ that is a devisive statement!
    Of course we are proud of Obama! Since Hillary is out, let's just give her due. Barack is surely getting his.
    Peace out~
    Let's all work together for a united party:-)

June 4, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  48. EJ (USA)

"I was really surprised to hear, that Obama asked Caroline Kennedy to be part of his VP screening committee. Has she ever really been in politics at all?"

Just because she tries to stay out of the limelight (due to her and her family's extreme popularity) doesn't mean she's an idiot.

She comes from a political dynasty.

June 4, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  49. Stacy

@Nancy–Bill Clinton didn't have much experience when he became president either. I'd much rather take my chances with a lack of experience, than vote for someone who's going to continue to take the country in the wrong direction.

June 4, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Maria Gama

This is historic, and we can all trust that Hillary with her integrity and love for democracy will help Barak Obama to win in November.
    McCain will certainly use every tool at his disposal to win. And also we as viewers and participants can HOPE that the media will not sink to a low, but cover the elections with respect that this historical process deserves.

June 4, 2008 at 10:13 pm |