June 4th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/4/08

Breaking news tonight: Senator Hillary Clinton will suspend her campaign on Saturday and on that same day will endorse Sen. Barack Obama. Is this too late? Should she have done it last night instead of telling her supporters she hadn't made any decisions and asking them to weigh in on her web site.

Tonight, we'll look back on how Barack Obama became the presumptive nominee. What did he do right? What did she do wrong? And what about Bill Clinton? What impact did he have on her campaign? We'll also look ahead at the general election. What are the strategies for Sen. McCain and Sen. Obama? We've got a lot to talk about tonight with the Best Political Team on Television.

And don't forget about the live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Maria

I don't understand how the Democratic party could run someone with no experience. I've been a lifelong democrat and I will be voting for McCain in the fall if Hillary is not the VP for Obama. I'm hoping my home state of Pennsylvania goes republican!

June 4, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, Ohio

Obama is supposed to be presidential material yet he has to be told to take control of his own campaign? What does that tell you?

June 4, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  3. Kim

Would you really want a president in the White House who was blackmailed into choosing a certain VP? How could he even govern if people perceive him as folding under political pressure? He should be free to choose the person he thinks is most qualified and who will be a valuable teamplayer in his administration.

June 4, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  4. Jolene

I hope we discuss VP's on the Republican side, seems like it's all about the democrats these days in the news.

June 4, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar

Maggie, I agree with you. I am not comfortable with Obama, Me either. I can't stand with him........

June 4, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  6. Rory

Anderson, can you ask David Guergin if he would be interested in advising Obama like he's done for previous presidents?

June 4, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  7. Tracey - Boston

If not Hillary then who would be better?

June 4, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  8. Hannah Storm

I do not think Hillary would be a good choice as VP but maybe Sec. of Defence or Sec of State or something like that

June 4, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  9. Mechelle

You are right Anderson, she has had a while to prepare for losing, but have you ever seen a Clinton give in to defeat?! I hope Obama is smart enough to not put her on the ticket. I am sooooo sick of her and this is ruining the Democratic Party. I don't think they will be able to recover this election.

June 4, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  10. Andrew, Lafayette IN

I agree Betty-Ann. If Hillary isn't on Obama's ticket it's going to be a hard fight for Obama

June 4, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse, NY

EJ, I keep hearing about Obama's accomplishments. What exactly are they?

June 4, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  12. Cali

Mike – you are right.
    But we choose the nominee by delegates not the popular vote.

June 4, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  13. EJ (USA)

"A Woman made history. I am proud of that as much as anything!"

Of course it doesn't matter to many Clinton supporters than an African-American made extraordinary history yesterday...

June 4, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  14. Cindy P.

I disagree with the comment that Obama does not need Hillary. You don't want to alienate 18 million people.

June 4, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  15. David

come on everyone give Hillary some room...

June 4, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  16. Zenta, New York, New York, NY

on Maggie.

Presidency cannot be stand only by gender issue. You should think what is good for this country, not only single segment...

June 4, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  17. jessie from Canada

Hi Anderson, This is only wishful thinking on my part. First she will need some time to remove the knives from her back. Then as she leaves for a well deserved rest she should wave her hand "Goodbye" giving the appropriate gesture to the DNC, the media & others.

June 4, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  18. kim-chicago

I am thrilled that Obama won...but I don't see why Hillary Clinton can't take a few days to sort this all out. I think this is difficult for both Obama and Clinton. This has ben a very intense campaign and I'm sure she has no clear cut idea what she wants.

June 4, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  19. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I'm thinking that Hillary will keep her delegates because she'll be hoping something blows up in the Obama campaign before the convention. The superdelegates can change their minds any time.

June 4, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Nancy

I am a lifelong democrat and when Hillary Clinton suspends her campaign or concedes – our family is re-registering as republicans and voting for McCain.

None of us like obama or would vote for someone with NO experience.

June 4, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Kim

I was really surprised to hear, that Obama asked Caroline Kennedy to be part of his VP screening committee. Has she ever really been in politics at all?

June 4, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

EJ~Obama can't beat McCain without Hillary~

June 4, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  23. David

Cooper, I've been a volunteer and still a loyalist to the clinton's. Now I am just hurt. I feel if Obama doesnt put Hillary on the ticket then I will vote for John McCain; however, if Obama put Hillary on the ticket then I will vote and help to push this ticket in my state. I am very dedicated to Hillary..

June 4, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Right Maggie~
    A Woman made history. I am proud of that as much as anything!

June 4, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Jolene

Isn't it really Obama's choice on who should run as VP?

June 4, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Maureen T

Once a Democrat always a Democrat, right? Both Barack and Hilary are on the same side, right?? The song remains the same, whether it's Hilary or Barack! Not voting or voting for the other party doesn't make sense to me...

June 4, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Trudy in Peoria

Let's make one thing clear right now. Obama won the popular vote. Despite what lies Hillary is spreading, she did not have the popular vote. She was giving full credit to bogus Florida and Michigan primaries, and does not count the caucuses. How ridiculous is that?

June 4, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, Ohio

It is ridiculous to choose a candidate based on party affiliation. It is bordering on reckless to put an incompetent inexperienced person in the White House. We have one there already and look what happened.

June 4, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  29. EJ (USA)

After I think back to everything that happened, Obama would be a complete fool to put her on the ticket. She & Bill both are very dismissive of him & his accomplishments. Any hopes of that ticket went out the window last night.

June 4, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Rory

Im much more interested in who Sen Obama is considering for his running mate. Hopefully he wont be pushed into making a poor decision

June 4, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Jacqui Chan

What can she do with these delegate votes if she keeps them???
    I honestly got the impression that Obama is interested in Hillary as his VP because he has said that he would like to speak with her.
    I hope she does not ruin it by being so damn pushy...

June 4, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Maggie

I can't believe that you are not recognizing that SHE is a WOMAN making HISTORY....

Why would I want to waste my vote on OBAMA if he doesn't make HER the VP?

I can't stand obama.

June 4, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar

Yes, I heard that, she did say no decision to make, now she will quit her race this weekend....... Cathy.........

June 4, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Mike, Syracuse, NY

What's the difference between conceding last night or Saturday? A month from now, no one will care.

June 4, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Christina, Windber, PA

I have a feeling I'm going to be dreading watching the news from now until November. If it weren't for Anderson, I'd turn the television off.

Anderson, I hope you weren't pulling for Hillary or it wouldn't have been a very happy birthday. I have to admit I'm thoroughly disappointed by her quitting.

June 4, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Jolene

Hey Bloggers! Well, I think we all knew that Hillary would eventually concede but today's headlines are more about Hillary not conceding than Obama being the first African American presidential candidate.

June 4, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I am so bummed about Hillary. It's the biggest bummer I've had all summer. I hope Obama chooses her as his VP! 😀

June 4, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Anne

Alleluia! Hillary has finally seen the light – I am a registered independent and I was very disappointed in her inability to concede last evening. Barack – please do yourself a favor and build the dream team without her – she and Bill are liabilities you don't need.

June 4, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Cali, actually they did make their choice and it was for Clinton. She got more votes.

June 4, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson!...History? Yes. Obama and Clinton on the same ticket? Most definitely yes!!!

June 4, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Paolo

Hi Anderson,

It looks like Hillary is doing the right thing for uniting the party against John McCain. It's better late than never.

June 4, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Cathy

Hillary did not have to concede last night but I think she would have looked better had she done so. Regardless, her speech last night was inappropriate.

June 4, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Andrew, Lafayette IN

Looking forward to the show tonight. I'm sad about Hillary suspending her campaign.. I hope I can get behind Obama.

June 4, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Cali

Good Evening everyone.
    I feel sad today.
    I am Hillary supporter and I think she is the better candidate.
    But the democrats’ voters made their choice.

Go Obama 08

June 4, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar

Hello Anderson, Erica and Bloggers!!!
    I was shocked and disappointed Hillary Clinton lost her race to Barack Obama last night.......... I think Hillary Clinton will be vice president with Obama.... I accept Obama is nomination president of united states.

June 4, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Kimberly

Anderson, is there any truth to the bombshell coming out about Michelle Obama's "Hate Whitey speech"? Fox new covered it and I was wondering if there is any truth to it?

June 4, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Kim

Hi Anderson, Erica and bloggers!
    The first day with our confirmed Democratic nominee making history...
    I do hope Sen Clinton is honest about supporting him and won't try to ruin it so she can run in 2012.

June 4, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

The bottom line is Clinton didn't concede last night, but will on Friday. Tuesday is over, no repeats of that day will come. I think we all have more important issues to now grasp onto. Just my thoughts.

June 4, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Good evening everyone

Anderson now that you are on the blog tonight.....happy belated birthday wishes sent your way

So did someone explain "Boo" to you because most of us on the blog can if no one has

June 4, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Zenta, New York, New York, NY

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, and all!

and...

Since it was your birthday yesterday...

Happy "belated" Birthday, Anderson! I hope you will spend a wonderful year :-). And thank you for always broadcasting valuable news in honest view!

June 4, 2008 at 10:00 pm |