June 4th, 2008

I am not a bargaining chip. I am a Democrat.

Front pages of some major British newspapers showing stories about Barack Obama's success in the US Democratic presidential race.

Hilary Rosen
Political Director, The Huffington Post

Senator Clinton's speech last night was a justifiably proud recitation of her accomplishments over the course of this campaign, but it did not end right. She didn't do what she should have done. As hard and as painful as it might have been, she should have conceded, congratulated, endorsed and committed to Barack Obama. Therefore the next 48 hours are now as important to the future reputation of Hillary Clinton as the last year and a half have been.

I am disappointed. As a long time Hillary Clinton supporter and more importantly, an admirer, I am sad that this historic effort has ended with such a narrow loss for her. There will be the appropriate "if onlys" for a long time to come. If only the staff shakeup happened earlier; if only the planning in caucus states had more focus; if only Hillary had let loose with the authentic human and connecting voice she found in the last three months of the campaign. If only. If only. I have written many times on this site about the talents of Hillary Clinton and why I thought she'd make a great President.

After last night's final primary, she was only about pledged 100 delegates behind him. Ironic that after not wanting to make the decision for so long, it was in fact, the superdelegates who made the decision. But I guess they did so for another reason...

It just isn't her time. It is his time. It's a new day that offers a freshness to our party that many have longed for. We felt the rush of new voices and a new energy in the Congressional sweep of 2006 and the sweep continues. It has been an organic shift. And a healthy one.

The life's work of Bill and Hillary Clinton in partnering with so many African Americans uniting our purpose and promoting our mutual issues is as responsible for Barack Obama's success as our first African American nominee as anyone. And yet, that joy is being denied for them by themselves. It is so sad.

So, I am also so very disappointed at how she has handled this last week. I know she is exhausted and she had pledged to finish the primaries and let every state vote before any final action. But by the time she got on that podium last night, she knew it was over and that she had lost. I am sure I was not alone in privately urging the campaign over the last two weeks to use the moment to take her due, pass the torch and cement her grace. She had an opportunity to soar and unite. She had a chance to surprise her party and the nation after the day-long denials about expecting any concession and send Obama off on the campaign trail of the general election with the best possible platform. I wrote before how she had a chance for her "Al Gore moment." And if she had done so, the whole country ALL would be talking today about how great she is and give her her due.

Instead she left her supporters empty, Obama's angry and party leaders trashing her. She said she was stepping back to think about her options. She is waiting to figure out how she would "use" her 18 million voters.

But not my vote. I will enthusiastically support Barack Obama's campaign. Because I am not a bargaining chip. I am a Democrat.

Editor's Note: This essay first appeared on The Huffington Post.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Democrats • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Trudy in Peoria

Do you see finally that she's in it for herself?!! If she truly loved and supported the DNC she would given an exceptional concession speech and jumped on-board the Obama train immediately. The fact that she did not indicates that she is being a spoiled brat and brings more dishonor to herself and her legacy. So pitiful.

June 4, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  2. Mary H from TN

She had the perfect moment with the nation watching to show some class and support. It was HIS big night and she just couldn't stand it!!! She had to make it all about her. Her entire speech was about her and it was a defiant speech and move on her part and did NOTHING to unit the Democrats. She thinks she has to control everything. ONLY reason you need Obama not to put her on the ticket! The moment she should have given him the stage was last night and she just wouldn't do it! What a sham she is.....doesn't deserve to hold ANY public office.

June 4, 2008 at 8:03 pm |
  3. martha zubiate

The media has been trashing Hillary from the beginning and now that she is not the nominee, they're still trashing her. All those people who voted for Obama simply wanted to be part of history, "the one's who voted for the first black democratIc nominee. These people have never voted, but this time they wanted to be part of history. It didn't matter who the candidate was, as long as he was black. Obama is not equipped to run this country. He is a persuasive speaker, everyone becomes mesmerized . . . THAT'S IT!!! You bunch of DUMMIES.

June 4, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  4. jose

..i think it behooves hillary to take some time off and reflect on the campaign she has conducted.. the clinton s squandered the support they had through reckless foot-in- mouth disease seemingly racist comments of her husband during the south corilna primary....if she ever chooses to pursue the presidency again she may want to author a book in the interim: IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO SHUT MY HUSBAND UP...

June 4, 2008 at 7:52 pm |
  5. CLM

Great Post!!!!

I have been really shocked this primary season. Not because this has been a historic race, but because of the tactics that have been displayed by the Clinton campaign. I have never been more tired of hearing, "ready on day one"... No one is ready on day one! Contrary to popular belief, being the President of the United States, requires on the job training! Unless you have done it before, you are not qualified! Being married to a former president only makes you ready on day one to tell Michelle Obama what to expect! Let's talk about all the experience Bush had on day one... and look where we are!!!!!

Okay, so, she has won the "popular vote" in this primary season, but not by large margins. Need I remind you that in the 2000 ELECTION, not primary, Al Gore won the popular vote by 543895, a much larger margin than in this primary season, and we all know how that worked out!

It's time to unify this Democratic party – and the answer is not just up to Obama to make her the VP! She has to have some grace and elegance herself ... and since she has said that she is in it to win it, then do that! Not for herself as the nominee, but the democratic party as a whole to win the election. Be in that to win that!!! She has not proven herself worthy of the bid for VP! Obama just became the presumptive nominee last night, yet before he could even walk on stage, she was tipping her hand in as the VP via her aids... He has the right, like every nominee, to pick a running mate that is of HIS choice! Since we are giving her time to concede, let's give him some time to decide who would best fit HIS policies and agendas! The "Dream Ticket" should be up to him and NOT Hillary or anyone else. Ever wonder why you don't get to vote for a VP until the election? Because it's up to the front runner to make that decision as to who will run with him/her.

And for those Hillary supporters that say that they will not vote at all since Obama is the nominee, I say great! Stay at home, your ignorance is not needed in this election! And for those of you who say that you will vote for McCain, I say great! Vote for McCain – and when the war drags on until 3008 and gas prices soar to $20 a gallon – I will come and knock on your door for gas money!!!

June 4, 2008 at 7:47 pm |
  6. Anban

Rezko was found guilty on 16 counts. This is one of the reasons that Hillary should never quit. She should not be the VP for Obama. Let's see if Obama will be cleared of his dealings with this guy.

June 4, 2008 at 7:17 pm |
  7. Angie

I was a Clinton supporter. I own every book I even donated to her campaign earlier in the year however, i was inspired by Obama and I switched to Obama. Through it all I still respected the Clinton's until last night. How disrespectful. I say we do not have time to baby and beg the Clinton supports they need to get on the bus and let go!!! or they can stay home or vote for John McCain. Electing McCain will elect the next supreme court justice and turn women's right back 100 years. The choice is yours get on the bus because the Obama train is leaving.

June 4, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  8. theresa

History has been made, and every American should have been proud for the USA last night! However, Hillary Clinton did not see it that way, because what she did will now go down in the history books as a disgruntled, bitter candidate you was so wrapped up in her own personal agenda to be a part of this great moment! Now, she has the audacity to want to be on the VP ticket, she surely has been and is out of touch with reality for far too long. One can only hope, that now, she will take some time off and look back and see how she disrespected not only herself but her country by not conceding with respect and dignity to the moment of history.

Theresa
    Tennessee

June 4, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  9. Debbie, Atlanta

When have we ever allowed a candidate time to work through their emotions after another candidate gets the delegates in a primary to secure the nomination. Ms. Rosen's article is spot on. I, too, am disappointed with Mrs. Clinton's performance last night. She looks like a sore loser. Worse, she is playing into stereotypes about women. We don't learn how to play hard and if we lose congratulate your opponent and walk off the field. Pouting is not allowed. Complaining about the referees (press) is not allowed. Woman are better than this. Ms. Clinton has let us all down.

June 4, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  10. Raymond

Nice to know what Billary thinks of all of her supporters. GO OBAMA!!!

June 4, 2008 at 6:45 pm |
  11. Bridget M

Poor Hillary whats next everybody is asking well if you ask me its a gallon of Ben and Jerrys when she made her speach today I thought she was going to cry. I was crying I can not believe the rudeness of the press. Some of her friends have truned their backs on her so I think she dersves a week before anybody says anything nasty about her they all are talking about "change" in america well they all sound like a playground bully who steals your lunch money.....change? it sounds like a scam to me. George Washington was chosen to command the troops in the revolution because he had experince!! something out founding fathers depened on so why dont we? say what you like i will always support Hillary Clinton

June 4, 2008 at 6:36 pm |
  12. Nuwan Samaranayake

I am sorry to hear that Ms. Rosen but this is your interpretation of what happened yesterday. I also voted for Hillary because I even for this moment do not believe that Obama is the right person to lead this country. He is good in organizing a campaign, rallying people and giving the best political speeches. I give him all the credits for that. None of those things make a person a good leader. And I will not vote for someone who I would not believe is fit for the job. American people learned a lesson twice by electing Bush who showed similar qualities. I am a democrat. But I am left with a nominee that I can not vote for. I have no loyality to a party. I have loyality is for the country.

I firmly believe that Hillary didn't want to just dissapoint her passionate supporters yesterday. She has seen so much that you or I have not seen during this campaign. I also very much notice the way this campaign has changed her. This campaign has made her a better human with true passion. So many people have relied on her and she has promised them to make this country better. These people was behind her 100% even all the odds are against her. What she did was a miracle considering the resistance she was facing from everywhere. I believe that she talked to her passionate supporters and that she will stand with them. It is not about making them a bargaining chip. I never felt the way you felt. She will have to see how she would deliver the promise that she made for people who supported her. She would not want to leave them empty handed although you claimed otherwise. I understand she could have gone a little further to recognized Obama better. But I am not in a position to put me in her shoes. So I understand.

I have nothing against Obama like those Obama supporters who hate Hillary. I am impressed with his speech and talents. I just expect more from a leader so I can not vote for him with good concious unless he pick Hillary for VP slot. That way I know that the next administration will not be lost and that Hillary will have a greater opportunity to work on delivering on her promises.

June 4, 2008 at 6:28 pm |
  13. Dee

First, as an Obama supporter, I want to congratulate Senator Clinton on running a vigorous and competitive campaign. I think this process has been beneficial to the Democratic Party, even though, at times, it has been contentious. The result of this democratic primary season has brought millions of new voters to polls, not just black voters for Senator Obama or women voters for Senator Clinton, but millions of young voters, blue collar, Hispanics. This cycle has been extraordinary to experience.

But last night was quite frankly, disappointing! And I say that with all do respect to Senator Clinton, but she had a chance to be magnanimous and she missed it. In light of the facts, the mathematics, the surpassing of the delegate threshold, she still continued to run as if she was going to be President, on a night where our Democratic party selected its nominee for President. In the beginning of her speech, she mildly praised Obama, while simultaneously not acknowledging his clinching of the nomination, which left me bewildered, because for weeks she has been advocating party unity. But where was the party unity last night? All I heard was her touting her 18 million votes, proclaiming they have not been respected, even though, she was able finish out the primary season with little or no chance of actually winning. Saying, the vote they cast for her showed, somehow, that they had better judgment in selecting a President because everyone knows she the best candidate in the field. She even invoke the speculation on everyone’s mind in America in regards to her true intentions, which showed to me that she is aware of the awkward situation she is putting the party in, but still refused to concede graciously, why? Why didn’t she concede last night? She says, "she needs time to think things over." If you are going to come to the same conclusion and concede two or three days later anyway, why not do it on the night where it best positioned the party? Is it because she is in denial? Even though, Obama basically wrapped up the nomination months ago. So there is not surprise factor here, why? Does she feel like she is being pushed out of the race? Even though, she has completed and contested every primary, why? Does she want to be VP? Which I think she did a disservice to herself last night, if she does. So, I don’t understand the mindset Senator Clinton can be in at this moment.

As democratic, I just hope in the end we can come together as a party and be united and work together to get a democratic back in the white house. Because we don’t need four more years of George Bush via John McCain. If one thing in this campaign that the Obama supporters and Hillary supporter can and should agree on, is that if we really want to make a fundamental change in this country with healthcare, the economy, education, the mortgage crisis, and ending this war in Iraq, that we have to but our petty differences aside and coalesce behind the nominee because that is the only way change will come to Washington.

June 4, 2008 at 6:27 pm |
  14. Pat

Why are we not talking about the fact that according to CNN's information, Clinton received more elected delegates than Obama?
    I seem to remember that Obama made a statement that the super delegates should not over-ride the will of the people. Now that super-delegates have put him ahead it appears to be OK? Can anyone explain this?

June 4, 2008 at 6:23 pm |
  15. Dan from Boston

I think the gamesmanship of Hillary's candidacy shows what is wrong with American politics.

Washington plays their games about egos and powerplays.

Barack ran a Satyagraha campaign that is akin to the love-force campaign with which Gandhi changed India. He treats issues and opponents with compassion and without prejudice.

The empire of America needs this refreshing change, and taking Hillary as VP will bring too much baggage into Obama's campaign which is meant to inspire American politics with a new spirit of hope.

June 4, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  16. Christopher Jeremiah

Since she asked for our comments, I went to her web site to leave this note. You can do the same. I certainly would not want a spoilt child as Veep.

Dear Hillary,
    I am a great fan of President Clinton and the wonderful things that he did for this country.
    At the beginning of the primary season, my wife, I and a lot of my friends were for you but as the contest went on you became very negative and lost your message. You were willing to do anything for the nomination and when people saw that they started moving away from you. You wanted it at all cost and that is why you lost it.
    Obama wanted it too but he has kept to his core message throughout and let the people decide. He did not go negative like you did.
    The last straw came yesterday when on his big night and an even bigger night for Americans, White, Black, Latino, Asian, all of us, you refused to bow out gracefully. Still sticking around like a thorn we can't remove.
    The Democratic Party, party elders, and we the people let you stick around a lot longer than we would have tolerated any other candidate out of respect to President Clinton but not conceding yesterday to begin healing the party was the last straw.

Sincerely,
    Chris Jeremiah

June 4, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  17. Marguerite White

As Obama said, we are Americans first, and what worries me is that many of the Clinton supporters who claim that they will vote for McCain are acting like children; after not winning, they will take there ball and go home. The idea that they would hand McCain the election and have the nation suffer four more years of Bush politics is insane. Clinton and her supporters who are not uniting behind Obama are bringing shame to the Democratic Party.

June 4, 2008 at 6:07 pm |
  18. george

I too am not a bargaining chip.

Obama ‘08

June 4, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  19. Jennifer from Virginia

I am disgusted that CNN has been so rude and inconsiderate towards Sen. Clinton there is no rule that says she must concede once a rival candidate has exceeded the number of delegates needed for the nomination. When Senator Obama receives the nomination in August at the convention then its over for Sen. Clinton but she has the right to take it as far as she choses. My family has and always will be democratic but none of us can bring ourselves to vote for Obama...so we will not be voting in November.

June 4, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  20. suki

Last night was Barack Obama's night – not simply because he won the nomination of the Democratic Party but also because American history was made – Hillary Clinton just doesn't seem to realize the world does not revolve around her – her inability to graciously concede the primary to Obama was an insult not just to him but to the Democratic Party and the American people – she showed why she is disliked – when she has the nerve to ask her supoorters to tell her what they think she should do, she proves why she did not win

Had she endorsed Obama last night her supporters would have known that she was asking them to support the party – instead she proved many who have said she doesn't care about the Democratic Party rather she cars only about herself and her legacy – I guess she never learned the lesson about playing fair on the playground

June 4, 2008 at 6:02 pm |
  21. Cheryl- Atlanta

Hillary needs to give it up. It's been a great race, but this chapter is over and Barack has won by the rules fair and square. She needs to do what's right for the party, and stop this childish nonsense. She needs to use her emotional intelligence to now do the right thing and concede.Let's all move forward with positive energy and let Barack continue a great campaign against McCain.

June 4, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  22. Donald

Hillary Rosen's essay is right on point! I too, am not a bargaining chip.

I must also wonder if Clinton's hesitation and needing to think and weigh her options even after it is clear to the whole world that the primaries are over, is not some form of reversed sexism. How would we react if a man had been in Hillary's position and insisted on thinking about it?

June 4, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  23. sidney smith

I find it amazing to hear men talk about what women voters will do. As a woman voter I can tell you we won't get over it and support Obama . Unless, he chooses Hillary to be VP ,time and anything he or Hillary ("as a good dem") says won't change it. Rather, since John McCain is somewhat of an independent we will not only vote for him but will work PASSIONATELY for his election. In 4 years Hillary can run again! And buying her off with a cabinet postion etc won't work and what she says won't change anything we know she will have to give the party line and make it believable . Hopefully, Barack will do this for the country- it would show great strength and class and ability to put the voters first. I would love to be able to vote and work for the "dream team."

June 4, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  24. Spencer

I am ver dissappointed in The Hillary bashing that has gone on today and especially last night... You guys are real jerk(nothing like keeping the pot stirred)..I think you owe her and her supporters and the viewers and appology for your coverage last night...You guys in the media drove a wedge last night that might keep the party divided regardless of what Hillary does next...You guys talk about her being graceful, yet you can not even extend her the same courtesy....

June 4, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  25. KN

This is not about YOU Hillary!! She knew this moment was going to come days ago and should have been prepared to exit gracefully. Instead, democrats can't get her off the stage.

PLEASE PLEASE somebody mention the tortured logic Clinton must use to support her ridiculous claim of a lead in the popular vote.

Among other things, she's not counting any states that held caucuses instead of primaries. For all the talking she's doing about counting everyone's votes, she certainly seems quite ready to disenfranchise entire states full of voters.

June 4, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  26. Steve Hoagland

Time for a reality check–the public appears to grown weary of politicians with name legacy of White House occupants. I, for one, need a break from the father-son war monger approach and from the Clinton unique-definition duo. Had Hillary won the nomination, this democrat's vote was crossing over to John or an independent type.

June 4, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  27. Beth

I wish the media would stop speculating about what Hillary Clinton wants and what Hilliary Clinton might do. Speculation is not news! Stop stirring up the frenzy and giving her all of the attention that should rightly be given to Sen Obama.

June 4, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  28. Christy

Hillary's lack of grace in acknowledging Obama's victory demonstrates her insincerity and inabiity to put country and party first, revealing yet again her propensity to blur reality for her personal gain. Her actions in the last 24 hours alone should preclude her from consideration as a vp candidate. She does not represent the change Obama emphasizes, and she has shown her willingness to undermine him even at this historic moment. It is Obama's choice. Can you imagine had she won, what her reaction would be had he made these demands?

Electibility – Who raised the money and who is $30M in debt?

June 4, 2008 at 5:00 pm |
  29. Mo Black

I agree that Hillary should have conceded last night. We would be praising her today and giving her a pat on the back, because she gave it her all. But the people have spoken and she should be listening. She should not be included on the ticket, if she is going to act like a child, then I would hate to see how she would be as vice-president. Obama is a smart man and I know whatever decision he makes will be a wise one. I am a Democrat, first and foremost, and to me it really didn't matter who won the nomination. Now that we have a winner, we all need to stand behind Barack Obama.

June 4, 2008 at 4:56 pm |
  30. Mike P

Right on! The 18Million Vooters* should now back their party's nominee, if they are true Democracts. This nonsense about going for McCain if your candidate isn't chosen is just childish. You vote for your party's beliefs.
    I think the whole switch to McCain thing is just a blanket statement for "I' don't want a black man as Pres.", but no one cares to admit it.
    And after seeing the impact of last night, I'm shocked and have to ask if they even still make people like that. New Times & New World, Move on!

June 4, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  31. Janet, 60+White Female American via Canada

Words of Truth by Hilary Rosen! Thank You!

June 4, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  32. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Whether or not Hillary concedes or not, it's over, and at this time she will not be Obama's V.P. She may be able to blame people some of the time, but this time she can only blame herself for her failure in a graceful exit. I too am not a bargaining chip.

June 4, 2008 at 4:45 pm |
  33. Lee Beavers

I like Senator Clinton's speech. I am a supporter and she didn't leave me feeling empty. I don't think if she gave the speech you wanted her to everyone would be saying "how great she is and giving her her due." The vitriol about Senator Clinton is truely amazing to me. I am hugely disappointed that she didn't get the nomination. That's politics.

Please don't suggest that anything Senator Clinton said last night would have given her widespread approbation.

June 4, 2008 at 4:44 pm |
  34. ALFREDA

I agree. I waited for her to be big and to extend that hand. Instead she choose to act as if I was hers to use and I would not vote without her. It made me sick, angry and sad. I am a Democrat. With her or without her I will support our democratic nominee.

June 4, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  35. Rita - Tampa, FL

Give me a break. I am so sick of everyone talking about what Sen. Clinton should have done. Give the woman a chance to do what she needs to on her own time schedule. I happen to think that she is entitled to that. Further, I don't consider myself a bargaining chip either, just because the canidate I supported wants to take a deep breath and not follow a protocol estentially demanded of her by mass media. And if the only reason that you are now voting of Sen. Obama is simply because he is the nominee, I would defininately say that you are not a bargining chip, a lemming maybe, but not a bargining chip. Shouldn't your reasons for supporting a nominee go a little deeper than because he won the nomination over your first choice?

June 4, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  36. anna barone

I believe Hillary clinton is all class she is a wonderful caring individual.
    I have a group of us that are supporters of Hillary clinton and we are not going anywhere. We belive she should stay in this race as Barack Obama does not have the pledge delagates and will need the super delagates as Hillary clinton does the super delagets can change their vote at the convention and until then anything can happen. Hillary clinton is wonderful and should continue on in this battle. Hillary clinton is too qualified to be vice president she should be President and we will vote for John Mccain if she is not the nominee that you can count on.

June 4, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  37. GB in Los Angeles, CA

Thank you, Hilary, for that honest and genuine post. I have been an Obama supporter from the beginning, and have pressed the mute button many times watching some of the Hillary Clinton surrogates. However, I always listened to you, because you were always fair and unbiased, even though you had declared your support for Hillary. You're appreciated and one example of how the party can and will heal and unite.

June 4, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  38. Kee

I was very disappointed in Sen Clinton's selfish behavior last night. She continues to show why she should not be considered for the VP slot. I five Sen Obama credit for showing her respect when she has contiously shown him none. The Clintons dropped the ball early in this campaign because she did have the edge, but his organized grassroots campaign struck a chord with many and she did not help herself with distortions and attempts to rewrite rules and history. He should offer her a post in his cabinet not VP

June 4, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  39. Mama Mwita

Well said! I thoght I was being too hard on Hillary regarding her behaviour last night! She is misrepresenting the Democratic party, the American people and most importantly...women! She could bowed out gracefully, but right now she's brought herself lower than a snake! Her aspirations for presidency are out the window...and right now, even her chances as a VP are...well, N.I.L!

You still have a chance Hillary, get out with grace...and don't use our loyalty to you as a bargaining chip! It's already put me off!

June 4, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  40. Gary Chandler in Canada

She is so irrelevant that even her gaffes can go unchallenged. Nobody has commented when in her speech, 'well South Dakota, you got the last word.' (Montana anyone?)
    The Clinton theory of the Popular Vote uses 44 1/2 States, instead of 50, and adds a Commonwealth, which does count in November. If you give Obama any reasonable share in MI, plus the 4 States he won, that she won't count, he got over 18 million votes.
    (Google the charts at 'real clear politics'.)
    Will just ONE news person mention that Ickes figure of 73 in MI is wrong!? 128 times 55% is 70, not 73. He hijacked 3 votes.

June 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  41. Beverly

Ms. Rosen:

Thank you for eloquently putting into words the disappointment among other things I felt about Hillary's lack of grace last night. When one of her surrogates phoned a CNN panel member to say last night was her night, I lost it , and a nice vase on my coffee table paid the price. She made herself look small and petty.

Although she tried to turn Barack's night into the Hillary show his speech saved the night for me. My tears of frustration turned to joy and anticipation for the America I love.

June 4, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  42. Alexander O

I have admired Hillary for her strength and to her stated causes (making people lives better). After claiming to have spent her life putting other's well being ahead of her own, I was saddened to watch as she put herself above her party, and country. Not only did she weild her supporters as a though they were a club with which to forcibly negotiate but dedicated her whole speech to Hillary and what SHE wants. If I could speak to her today I would say "Hillary, you have veered away from your guiding principles. Please pause for a moment and find your bearings again. Tell us not what you want but what America needs."

A lot has been said of the Clintons and yesterday was Hillary's moment to shine and show that ambition and power were not all that motivated her. Saddly she let the opportunity pass. As an Obama supporter I m elated that he won but I feel a great sorrow for the party. 18 million people voted for Hillary so going forward they will most likely follow her lead. We are in dire starits if half the party adopts her attitude towards this defeat. With power/leadership comes great responsibility.

June 4, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  43. Tracey Anderson - Boston, MA

I agree. It would have been a better evening all around if she conceded. The rest of the world would have said "Now the USA is finally and truely a democratic country: A woman and a second-gerenation immigrant-bi-racial man have come together to lead a nation."

But, know they and all of us will have to wait.

June 4, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  44. Linda Black

This has truly been an historic milestone! This has been a truly amazing race. I never thought that this kind of history, a black man nominated for president of the United States of America, would be made in my lifetime, but I'm so happy it did. I only wish that some of my ancestors, especially my maternal grandfather, could be here to rejoice in it. My mother is the only one living and she has alzheimer's disease, so none of my ancestry will ever experience the exhilaration history being made for people of color. We have no place to go but up from here. I know Barack O'Bama will be a good, proud president. He is very intelligent, articulate in thought, sincere, versatile, and I believe, fair.

As a black woman who grew up in the south in the 50's and 60's, I've experienced just about anything that has to do with racial injustices, but I do believe that the mountaintop is in view for many of us now. I only have three words-God Bless America!

June 4, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  45. Jeanne

Very good post. Although both Clintons lost my support about midway through this campaign, I held out hope that there would be some sort of redemption at the end. Last night, however, was Obama's night, and Hillary's refusal to give it to him has forever reduced her in my eyes. She had the opportunity to act as a good Democrat and a good representative of women. Instead she acted only for herself. Shame on you Hillary.

June 4, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  46. TB

Senator Clinton really disappointed a lot of people who expected her to do the right thing by acknowledging Senator Obama as the Democratic Presidential Candidate chosen by the people and super delegates. Her actions continued the divide in the country instead of bringing the party together. I truly understand all that Senator Clinton has done but last night took it to another level. She is not the Democratic selection so why is she acting this way? Losing was not part of her game but it happened so the right thing is to acknowledge the winner and support the party. I honestly believe she will undermine Senator Obama if she were his selection for VP and President Bill Clinton will bring a whole new set of bagge with him affecting the race for the White House. So I do not agree with Senator Clinton being his VP.

Senator Obama made history last night and stood above the rest by acknowledging Senator Clinton for her hard work, super campaigning, and her work in the Senate. He set the highest example of everyone on the trail when it comes to staying out of the gutter. He stays about the dirt and dust and gives everyone their just do. Outstanding for him and a good leader.

TB

June 4, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  47. Arlene Santana

After all the dust settles it is still the old boys club that reings.

June 4, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  48. Kathleen Ritch

You talk about how it now “Obama’s time” and that Hillary should have conceded graciously and bowed out last night. I disagree. Obama should have chosen to let the remaining primary votes be counted before announcing that he had enough Super Delegates to secure the nomination. Obama could have been less effusive about Hillary Clinton in his speech and done more to gain the allegiance of her supporters by waiting for every elected delegate to be counted before claiming a prize he could not win by himself. June 4 would have been soon enough for his speech and would garnered him more votes in November by letting the process play out.
    You may contend that it’s Obama’s time, but there are still doubts in the core Democratic constituency. Remember that just yesterday Obama lost S. Dakota (which he was scheduled to win), that he lost two out of three primaries in the past 3 days (Puerto Rico in a blow out), that he lost the majority of primaries since March 4, that he lost the overall popular vote and most large important states, and finally, that he won the nomination only because the Super Delegates put him over the top.
    I realize that it is not part of Party hyperbole to talk truth. The Democrats must anoint Obama despite his limp to the finish line which he could only cross with the help of the Super Delegates. He may draw crowds by the thousands, but he’s not winning the minds and hearts of the rest of us who vote year in and year out. Who will take responsibility for another Democratic loss in November? Howard Dean, the Party bigwigs, the Super Delegates, you?

June 4, 2008 at 3:55 pm |
  49. Sherice

I agree with the post! The Clintons have paved the way for many black americans but couldn't be gracious enough to acknowledge Obamas historical feat.That says alot about her character. But still yet, Obama gave her her props on a well fought campaign and acknowledge her husband in his speech. I,m proud to be a american, democrat, and proud to call Obama, Mr. President.

June 4, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  50. Jamie

I would like to see you run for President. What part of competion do you not understand. Hillary has every right to take her time. Look how the others who ran away from the fight waited. It is Hillary's time to wait. She has a lot at stake. 18 million people voted for her. I am no dummy those 18 million would not just want her to bow out gracefully. It is different when you are a candidate that does not have a whole lot invested. I know there are a few who still are undecided.

Hillary I think you are doing this the way it needs to be done. Speak with your campaign advisors and do the right thing. I do not see the 18 million that voted for you wanting you as the VP. All of your experience is not VP. Stay as the Senator if possible and come out fighting in 2012.

June 4, 2008 at 3:49 pm |