June 4th, 2008

I am not a bargaining chip. I am a Democrat.

Front pages of some major British newspapers showing stories about Barack Obama's success in the US Democratic presidential race.

Hilary Rosen
Political Director, The Huffington Post

Senator Clinton's speech last night was a justifiably proud recitation of her accomplishments over the course of this campaign, but it did not end right. She didn't do what she should have done. As hard and as painful as it might have been, she should have conceded, congratulated, endorsed and committed to Barack Obama. Therefore the next 48 hours are now as important to the future reputation of Hillary Clinton as the last year and a half have been.

I am disappointed. As a long time Hillary Clinton supporter and more importantly, an admirer, I am sad that this historic effort has ended with such a narrow loss for her. There will be the appropriate "if onlys" for a long time to come. If only the staff shakeup happened earlier; if only the planning in caucus states had more focus; if only Hillary had let loose with the authentic human and connecting voice she found in the last three months of the campaign. If only. If only. I have written many times on this site about the talents of Hillary Clinton and why I thought she'd make a great President.

After last night's final primary, she was only about pledged 100 delegates behind him. Ironic that after not wanting to make the decision for so long, it was in fact, the superdelegates who made the decision. But I guess they did so for another reason...

It just isn't her time. It is his time. It's a new day that offers a freshness to our party that many have longed for. We felt the rush of new voices and a new energy in the Congressional sweep of 2006 and the sweep continues. It has been an organic shift. And a healthy one.

The life's work of Bill and Hillary Clinton in partnering with so many African Americans uniting our purpose and promoting our mutual issues is as responsible for Barack Obama's success as our first African American nominee as anyone. And yet, that joy is being denied for them by themselves. It is so sad.

So, I am also so very disappointed at how she has handled this last week. I know she is exhausted and she had pledged to finish the primaries and let every state vote before any final action. But by the time she got on that podium last night, she knew it was over and that she had lost. I am sure I was not alone in privately urging the campaign over the last two weeks to use the moment to take her due, pass the torch and cement her grace. She had an opportunity to soar and unite. She had a chance to surprise her party and the nation after the day-long denials about expecting any concession and send Obama off on the campaign trail of the general election with the best possible platform. I wrote before how she had a chance for her "Al Gore moment." And if she had done so, the whole country ALL would be talking today about how great she is and give her her due.

Instead she left her supporters empty, Obama's angry and party leaders trashing her. She said she was stepping back to think about her options. She is waiting to figure out how she would "use" her 18 million voters.

But not my vote. I will enthusiastically support Barack Obama's campaign. Because I am not a bargaining chip. I am a Democrat.

Editor's Note: This essay first appeared on The Huffington Post.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Democrats • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Jeri Shaffer

I find it infurriating that Clinton keeps demanding that we count all the votes when clearly she means that we should count all her votes. She is implying that those of us who chose to support Senator Obama somehow got it wrong because she is the stronger candidate. The speech last night showed her as a spoiled child wanting to take her votes home to pout. It proves that she is too self serving to be VP. If she demands that position, would she really be proud of herself? She is not the stronger candidate. She is the former candidate and it is time for her to get out of the way.

June 4, 2008 at 3:49 pm |
  2. Maria

I was watching reruns of the CNN coverage of last night's events...In one of them, one of your "pundits" commented that, if Obama put Sen. Clinton on the ticket, he'd better hire a FOOD TASTER...So much for the "class" of your experts.

June 4, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  3. David

Sen. Clinton should say no to VP and run as an Independent for president. I am a life long Democrat and have very mixed feelings about Sen. Obama. I have voted every year since I was 18 (I'm 48 now), but I am considering not voting this year.

June 4, 2008 at 3:46 pm |
  4. Calandra Ferguson

Love your post and closing statement. I'm in agreement.

June 4, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  5. Joyce-Houston

Hillary Clinton should have stepped down last night with dignity.
    I too am a Democrat .
    I AM NOT A BARGAINING CHIP.
    I am an Individual with a voice and a Choice to vote for the one who I think is able to run this Country of AMERICA with Wisdom and Integrity.

June 4, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  6. Debbie, NJ

Hillary thank you so much for your honesty and your support. I have been watching you over the past 6 months or so on the different news shows and I know you were a die hard Hillary supporter. But I am happy that you wrote this blog to remind the people that this election year is not about Hillary. It is about the Dem. party, the country and our future. Again thank you very much.

June 4, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  7. BonnieInTexas

So sorry you are disappointed. I can only imagine how disappointed Senator Clinton is.

Like you, I thought the Senator to might make "the speech", but I am not disappointed in her. I'm disappointed in you. You who have run for nothing have no say in when the time is right. You who have stood for nothing, who have avoided being called the odious names she has been called, have some nerve urging her to do anything.

I'm disappointed that you, a woman, don't GET IT. You have paid no price, no dues, no nothing to have a say in when is the right time for Senator Clinton to give "the speech." The woman I have trusted for years will make the speech when the time is right for her to make it. Everyone who knows her, who has trusted and suipported her knows that too.

You say you will enthusiastically support Obama. Now I'm not only disappointed in you, but I think you aren't very bright either.

June 4, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  8. Cam

Perhaps just a side note: but, come on: “The life’s work of Bill and Hillary Clinton in partnering with so many African Americans uniting our purpose and promoting our mutual issues is as responsible for Barack Obama’s success as our first African American nominee as anyone.” Really? As “anyone”? As Abraham Lincoln? As Dr. Martin Luther King? As Frederick Douglass, Booker T. Washington, as Medgar Evers, as Malcolm X, as Ralph Abernathy, as Paul Robeson, as Muhammad Ali? Come on! I wouldn’t deny that both Clintons worked hard for and believed strongly in civil rights for black Americans, but lets at least try to keep some perspective. This is like those ridiculous and frankly patronizing comments about Bill Clinton being “the first black President.” It’s an insult to African-Americans to suggest that a white man as the “first black president” and it insults the memory of the heroes and martyrs of the civil rights movement, not to mention to Senator Obama himself, to suggest that Hillary and Bill Clinton are “as responsible for Barack Obama’s success as our first African American nominee as anyone.” Perspective, please!

June 4, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  9. Ken Carrick

The media needs to back off Sen. Clinton. The media has been bias through out this campaign. Many examples could be used, but stories’ handling each candidate’s spouse comes to mind. The media looks for anything to smear Bill Clinton and anything about Mrs. Obama barely hits the radar screen. There has been a lot of talk about Mr. Clinton during this campaign, whether he is a liability or an asset. In Puerta Rico, he was label an asset for the out come of the vote, but quickly labeled as a liability in the next round of states. However, the people of South Dakota “beg to differ” still awarding Sen. Clinton another big win.

As far as the Vanity Fair Story, tell all the facts. If someone is attacking your character or spouse would you not speak out? Instead of the media harping on Mr. Clinton’s comments, did anyone investigate to see if the facts in the Vanity Fair where true? What gives journalists the right lie or telling half truths? What happened to integrity in the news instead of making money off of gossip? Did the journalist not respect the rules to stay out of the crowds and away from the candidates? Mr. Clinton was there to greet and meet the American people, not to talk to reporters.

I have nothing against Mr. Obama and think that he would make a good president, someday, but not now. He just needs to get more experience under his belt.

Sen. Clinton ran a great campaign in spite of many challenges which she turned around showing the American public that she is a true leader. She congratulated Mr. Obama and his campaign. Rerun your own video to see. When the dust settles, the Democratic Party will realize that they made the wrong decision, but it will be to late, John McCain will be president.

June 4, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  10. Iris Thompson

Funny...I would think that her voters, supporters and the democratic leaders would appreciate being invited by Senator Clinton, to voice their opinion to her before she made any big announcements. She has just fought a long, hard campaign on behalf of her supporters(Hillary Rosen included), the Democratic Party, this country and women worldwide...She has just won in South Dakota and has 18 million Americans rallied behind her...So why not allow this great leader and her voters to enjoy a victory speech at the end of her historic campaign? The delegate math and what it meant was obvious, but at the time of her speech, it had been less than 1 hour since Senator Obama officially became the presumptive Presidential nominee. The concession speech will obviously be a very emotional moment for her, her staff and her voters...So why not let them gather their thoughts, absorb the situation and allow them time to make a unified decision that will bring the most votes over to Obama. Had she immediately conceded and endorsed Obama, without the regard of ALL her supporters, everyone would've said she was too rash and risked losing a large portion of her voters to McCain...voters who felt slighted and weren't quite ready to switch to Obama. Shame on you Hillary Rosen, for not allowing someone who has been campaigning so hard on your behalf, to take even a little bit of time to catch her breath, so she can walk out with her chin up and give the kind of speech you were looking for.

June 4, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  11. sandy

I, personally, still believe popular vote should prevail and caucuses are out of date for the population we have now. I think Hillary Clinton was the best person for the job and I think that the votes that were cast say the same thing. I will never, ever forget the tradgedy of the 2000 election which put us where we are now with this administration. Popular vote didn't count then and it should have...Al Gore would have prevailed. I hope that the Democrats (these Super Delegates) many of whom decided to support a candidate that their constituents did not vote for, do not look back in years to come and realize that it should have never been their choice...but the choice of the people. Lets get a primary system more like the Republicans where the common people cannot be overruled by Super Delegates (who, of course, are much smarter than we voters!?! For those who hate the Clintons and choose to find fault with her even in the lack of conceding I just shake my head. Old Indian proverb, "Do not judge a man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins." She has walked many a mile and talked to millions of voters during this election process. She believes in making America the best it can be and I don't see this as a power play or bargaining chip...I see it as her desire to work for us. Without her on the ticket I know there are votes that will not go to Obama. With her on the ticket many of the "haters" may not vote for Obama. It is a choice for Barack Obama to make...what and who is best for America and who have Americans professed a belief in by millions of votes? It is his choice. I am not bargaining with my vote either...I will vote for the good of the country...the same thing Hillary Clinton (and Barack Obama as far as I know) have worked for their entire life. All this yakety yak is just causing more dissension and division. Is that what everyone wants? It is not what Hillary does or doesn't do...it is articles like this and the media's reaction to the "moccasins" she should have walked in (their viewpoint) that is going to cause the Democrats not to come together. Stop this now and let the candidates work it out...if they aren't smart enough and don't care enough about the American people to become a team (in some sense) then neither of them need to be president.

June 4, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  12. Keith Gomez

Can Hillary for President as a Independent ?

Nassau,Bahamas

June 4, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  13. Jan from Wood Dale IL

Well, I for one was cheering wildly for Hillary last night, and her decision to take some time before making any decisions. Throughout this primary campaign, political pundits (including those on the Huffington Post) have been pushing Sen. Clinton to drop out. Emotions have been running high for both candidates, the the DNC's poor handling of the MI and FL situation only added to it.

Then yesterday, the AP announced Obama had secured enough superdelegates to assure the nomination. ABC News broadcasted this, but all other media outlets were playing this down by slowly adding to Obama's delegate total until he was within 4. This was a strategy carefully planned by the Obama camp, so it looked like the pledged delegates (those who represent the voters) took him over the top. At the same time, the public was being spoon-fed to the historic nature of this presumptive nomination. Not one person was willing to point out that Obama was getting this nomination due to the superdelegates, and it was not won by the popular vote or pledged delegates.

No mater how flawed this system is, the nomination will still stand. But I believe Senator Clinton is giving those who voted for her, who had worked hard for her nomination, a chance to ease into this acceptance. After all, those same people saw Obama ignore some voters in WV and KY. People are not ignorant to the fact that Obama has maintained a condescending attitude that goes beyond sexism. His praise and verbal support of Senator Clinton alone will not mend many of those bridges. He will need Senator Clinton's strong connection to those voters to help keep those people stick with the Democratic party and elect him as our next President.

June 4, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  14. minha

She may be thinking of leaving the Party to become an independent candidate. Did anybody think about that?

Minha of Miami

June 4, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  15. Crys

I'm an Obama supporter, but as someone who voted for the first time for Bill Clintion, I'm dissappointed in the Clintons for how unprofessional they are acting. Americans are not sore losers!

June 4, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  16. steve

scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Thats what we have today in our presidential race.

America poor America

June 4, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  17. Dave

Why is Hilary do this to the people who help and love her? using them as a bargaining chip is not showing her respect for her people.

June 4, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  18. Brian from Granada Hills, CA

It is a very sad commentary of the current state of our country when the most liberal big government spending tax increasing Senator in Washington is still abel to convince the democratic party that he is good for the country because he can give a good speech. When people realize that if he is elected that their paychecks will be much less due to the siginificant tax increases he will impose upon both businesses and individuals, they will find his speeches hollow each time they review their paycheck stub.

By the way, I heard he didn’t win the popular vote of his own party. Jack how has he done in the last 11 contests? I would say not too great. I think he lost all but 3 of the last 11 contests.

June 4, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  19. NC for Obama

Barack has made HISTORY, and the news media and Hillary supporters are obsessed with what does Hillary want..

Hillary had the perfect opportunity last night to not only bring the party together, but also to show a little class. I started as a Hillary supporter and she quickly lost my respect as a candidate. I would not want to see her on the ticket or in his cabinet.

Her speech last night was all about her versus what is best for the party. She is going to be the rock in Obama's shoe until she acknowledges his win as the nominee. Osama can and will win without her.

June 4, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  20. Tim Whitesides

I am an undecided voter. I have heard many comments that Mr. Obama does NOT place his hand over his heart during both the "Pledge of Allegiance to the US Flag" or the "National Anthem." I would like Mr. Andreson or others at CNN to let all of America know if this fact or myth.

Trust me, many Americans will make a decision based on this fact.

June 4, 2008 at 2:51 pm |
  21. Gary B

Great post. I also have great admiration for the Clinton. When this campaign began .I was in the Clinton Camp. However the more I learned and heard Obama speak the more excited I got. I was very disappointed with her last night. She could conceded and she would be remembered for her gracful exit, Instead I'm pretty angery with Hillary. She and Bill are letting their egos get in the way of winnning this election.Right now I don't want her on the ticket. Hopefully I will get over it and it could be a winning ticket. However Bill needs to be control.led This can't be Clinton II.

June 4, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  22. Rahni, Connecticut

Hillary Clinton reputation is tarnish due to her mean spirited decision not to congratulate Barack Obama last night on his win to become the first African-American to win a major party for president. Her supporters, mostly female were very upset about her failure to win the nomination and the hateful and uncivilized crowds that she spoke to were mob mantality.

I hope and prey that Obama don’t pick Hillary for the number to two spot. She is a back stabber!

Rahni, Connecticut

June 4, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  23. Georgette

I am an Independent, who has not supported one candidate over another. If all Americans think for one minute we have a voice in this or any election forth coming you are mistaken. The elections are manipulated to sever the few high-powered in government.
    Just look at the events of this campaign.
    Lets be honest here, from day one the news media has been bias. They have not been fair to the candidates, nor given Americans the real truth behind the stories. They broadcast what they want us to hear and know. Have you ever noticed the clips they choose to show, clips that in most cases then not are negative, without out revealing the actual truth behind it.
    The talking heads you see before your TV screens get there marching orders from the higher ups, who have already set the agendas.
    These self-severing originations from the onset, picked a candidate and proceeded
    To influence the American people with propaganda. The news media, journalist and ill informed annoying talking heads are part of America’s problem!

Sympathy for Senator Clinton, I think not! PROUD YES INDEED!!! She is a fighter, strong with many years of experience. She represents millions of strong Americans who will support her in whatever path she chooses.

June 4, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  24. Gloria F-C

Gloria

If Hiliary had bowed out gracefully, and did the politically correct thing, who knows what our new "PRESIDENT TO BE" would have done. At this point I hope he does not even consider her. It would be Bill, Hilliary and President Obama and Michelle in the white house. She can't be trusted at this point because she would be stabbing him in the back every time she get the chance. Her character has been tarnished – can't trust her.

June 4, 2008 at 2:41 pm |
  25. Lisa

I am saddened by Sen, Clinton's desperate actions and egotistic decisions in this campaign and especially last night. I am a woman and an African American. I was, until her campaign, a fervent supporter of Bill Clinton. However, like many others that changed several months ago. She and her husband have both lost the respect they once had from me and all of those in my family. I have been a Sen. Obama suppoter, not from the begining, but ever since I took the time to really listen to what he had to say. I will be proud to vote for him in November, without Hillary on the ticket, of course!

June 4, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  26. Bill

Great article, Hilary with one 'L".

It's a shame that Hillary thinks she can manipulate not only the party but also free-thinking U.S. citizens into following her as if she were about to hold a coup d'état .

June 4, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  27. Donna

I believe that CNN did a dis-service to all of the Hillary supporters and the people of South Dakota by casting Hillary Clinton in a negative light when she did not concede last night. People look to you for leadership and guidance. This was not the fair thing to do.

Last night was NOT the night for Hillary to concede. People are not stupid, they know the speeches are made ahead of time and if HIllary had conceded, her supporters in South Dakota would have felt like their vote was for nothing. Further, avid Hillary supporters accross the nation need some time to digest the fact that she will not be the nominee.

If she had conceded last night, it would have been for the Obama supporters and not the HIllary supporters. She did the right thing by giving it a day or so. Her supporters will digest the information and then they be ready to listen to Hillary when she speaks of party unification.

June 4, 2008 at 2:31 pm |
  28. Alain Adunagow

I agree with you. Last night was an opportunity to show great leadership, rising above the differences and shortfall. After having dealt and discussed the undiscussable, there is only one thing left to do.. unite under the final decision/verdict in order to focus on the most important goal – win the general elections.

The more she keeps acting as such the biiger the opportunity for Republicans to leverage the divides to Dem's detriment. Whether she is Veep or not, she should know by now that she is a great leader with a track record of 18 millions people who approved of her views.

Sticking to the Oval office's thirst will only depict a poor view of her understanding of already being a leader with a much bigger platform to operate – the people!

June 4, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  29. Sullay

Hillary Clinton said she is committed to uniting the party. False! It appears she is bent on dividing the party. The Democratic race is over and she lost. Concede! It appears that she is a barbed loser. As contentious as it may seem, she confirmed Rev. Pfleger’s assertions. She is refusing to accept the realities of this new age by making a political entitlement and ownership claim regardless of the Democratic choice. ‘Get over it’ Hillary Clinton and be cordial in defeat. Someone other than a Clinton needs to be in the political spotlight. Obama is the Democratic candidate.

June 4, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  30. JR Chattanooga, TN

This makes me wonder about those that will support McCain...that's if they are truly Democrats.

June 4, 2008 at 2:26 pm |
  31. Mindy Chatsworth, Ca.

I also do not consider myself a bargaining chip. However, I have a different perspective than Ms. Rosen. I think Hillary Clinton did exactly what she should have done last night – celebrated her extraordinary accomplishment in this long primary process. This was her last hurrah, so to speak. This woman has earned the right to bask in the triumph of fighting the good fight when all of the media was telling her to get out. It is the voters who kept her in this race and made it so close. Yes, we still get to have our say, regardless of the pundits and commentators. There was a groundswell of support for her and she rode it until the end. This must be a bittersweet time for her. She was so very close. There are many women of a certain age, myself included, who wanted very dearly to see the first woman president in our lifetime. Instead, we saw a truly outstanding, brilliant, eminently qualified woman derided by the press, subjected to humiliating and derogatory comments that would never have been aimed at a man running for the presidency.

I say good for you, Hillary! Enjoy your moment. Let the concession wait until you are good and ready. You have earned that will the votes of 18 million people. Obama supporters need to keep that in mind when they start telling Hillary Clinton how to act and what to say. She will do it in her time, in her own place and when she feels that she should.

So get off Hillary's back and leave her alone for once. Maybe she isn't ready to gracefully exit the stage and it's not up to the author of this article to tell her when to do it. Bravo Hillary! You made all of us middle-aged women proud.

June 4, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  32. Jeff

Obama is the next Jimmy Carter

June 4, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  33. Kathie,Ontario.Canada

Hillary Clinton won't do what any of the talking heads or her so
    called poltical supporters (turncoats) want her to do . Only they
    and Obama supporters want her to call it quits.
    If you go to her website people are enraged at the backdoor
    things that went on with the democratic party. They are all urging
    her not to quit. Instead, they are urging her to run as an Independent.
    Obama needs her more to get the votes in the states he can't win
    then she needs him.
    Run as an Independent Hillary for the 18 million people behind
    you , who voted for you and who support you .

June 4, 2008 at 2:20 pm |
  34. Jim

Very disapointing speech from Hillary. She would have expected to Obama to leave the stage and support her had she won the most delegates. She only acknowledged Obama in the same way she would have in a victory speech.

She feels entitled and wants to twist arms to become the VP candidate or fight on. The comments from Bill, the snub yesterday and 1990's baggage will not help the Obama campaign or White House. Obama needs his own VP choice not to include Hillary. True Democrats will get on board. Obama can ignore the pressure.

I voted for Bill Clinton twice but those were different times. Hillary is full of herself. The speech was all about her. Her campaign advisers are rude and vile. All super delegates should switch immediately to Obama as she wants to destroy the party with a fight to the convention, or an Independent run which helps only McCain.

Hillary's website deletes all negative posts. It is a love fest. She will get no objective advice there. They say go Independent, vote for McCain and fight to the convention.

June 4, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  35. Beth Estes

Jeffrey Toobin's response to Senator McCain's speech last night was RIGHT ON. I had to move the channel from Mr. McCain's speech as I was just too uncomfortable watching. But a big hi-five to Jeffrey for calling it the travesty it was.

I missed his Hillary/narcissism comment but I'm sure it too was on point and I admire him for eloquently speaking the truth! .

June 4, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  36. Lisa

I'm very proud that Obama has won the nomination, but he does not need to have Ms. Clinton on the ticket especially after the entire negative comments her and Bill have said. I'm so disappointed about how this whole thing played out. I voted for Sen. Obama here in NC. I would be very disappointed if he chose Ms. Clinton for the No. 2 spot. She is the cause of party being divided. She is very arrogant and condescending in regards to placing herself unavailable to even speak him after he was nominated. It took more than 1 ½ hr to return his call. She also did not official concede after losing to a black man. I’m a woman and I wouldn’t had mind if she was the VP but only if she had ran her election a lot differently. The comments made by Mr. Clinton were not called for. The Clintons has really surprised the black voters. The letter that Mr. Johnson (BET owner) wrote indicated that Mr. Obama should select Mrs. Clinton for his VP should not be of any bearing. Yes he is a billionaire, and he and the Clintons are friends so tell me why she went in debt or had to loan her campaign monies to move forward in the primaries. Mrs. Clinton knew that the math was not on her side so she continued to run this race on behalf of women across America but I’m a woman and I wanted her to stop along time ago after leaving NC. But she did this to secure the No. 2 position, how could she had managed the country budget and she has to borrow monies from her and Bill’s account and continue this race. Bill Clinton stating that he would not submit to his pass financial records something that is required when a candidate is running. It should be public information since she is a state official. Again, please don’t select her for VP or my vote will not be counted like many other black Americans. Another thing why should Mr. Obama bring the party back together when she was the one to divide the party. That’s crazy.

June 4, 2008 at 2:11 pm |
  37. Kim

I agree whole-heartedly.
    While I am an Obama supporter I would have greatly admired Hillary Clinton if she had ended this graciously.
    She is so knowledgeable on the issues and she has fought a good fight, but through her speech yesterday she gave away the chance of putting the interests of the Democratic party before her own.
    While I didn't expect her to do that from what I had seen on the campaign trail, I really hoped she would.
    It remains to be seen how she will act over the next days and weeks, but she missed a once-in-a-lifetime chance last night to cement a positive image for friend and foe alike.

June 4, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  38. Carol, WI

What an appropriate title for this well thought out, heartfelt article. Thank you so much for acknowledging the pain I feel as an Obama supporter after I heard Hillary's speech last night. I would have been happy if she only would have ended her statements about what she wanted next (national healthcare, benefits for working families, an end to the war in Iraq, etc) with a statement that "John McCain will not support these causes," to remind her supporters of the difference between the Republicans and the Democrats.

In my mind she did not need to concede the nomination last night, if only she had hinted to her supporters not to vote for McCain. I understand wanting to give her supporters time to heal as well as taking some of that time for herself to do the same, but starting a movement to rally her supporters into fighting to Denver or demanding VP was uncalled for.

I am desparately trying to continue to be positive about this, but I am disappointed I still can not celebrate the nomination to its full extent due to the lingering questions about what will Hillary do next (or what are the Democrats going to do for Hillary). Last night should have been about our nominee but she ruined for me by turning the attention to her and not being gracious. However, the Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee acted presidential and extended the olive branch letting Hillary come to him when she is ready. Please let it be soon...

June 4, 2008 at 2:00 pm |
  39. Ita

The thing that struck me the most last nite was the fact that during Obama's speech ALL HIS SUPPORTERS cheered when he was acknowledging Mrs Clinton.
    During Mrs. Clinton speech her supporters's faces were all but happy to her her talking nice about Mr. Obama.
    this is a hhughe sign of the diversity in the mentality of the supportes, the future of the US is rapresented in Obama's supporter, not Mrs. Clinotn.
    We are the future.

June 4, 2008 at 1:58 pm |
  40. keesa

I think its a sham she is treating her voters like barging chips.The thing I look at she lost its over,so lets unite so we could go against Mccain.If she care so much she would stop this disunite in unite.The problem is i didnt care who became the nominee,I have pocket book issue gas high, food high .But she dont care because she dont have to struggle with the millions her and bill banking,so she dont have to feel the pain us voters struggling to fight for.Obvisously she dont care its not her pain its her Ego.

June 4, 2008 at 1:57 pm |
  41. keith

While I watched the political coverage on CNN I thought every one was very good about treating all candidates far. Theexception was Mr. Tobin. He should have just came out and said I am for Obama but instead he blasted McCain for his speech and Cinton for not bowing out. Very unprofesional. Now you know why people do not trust CNN as their team members lean to the left and show bias. Mr. Tobin you sir are a disgrace to the journalism field. Your title is CNN Political correspondent not an Obama supporter. 😦

June 4, 2008 at 1:56 pm |
  42. gray

Cnn stiff had done everything to make sure that Obama would win and did everything to get Hillary out of the picture. I watched Cnn and then turned channel to other news twenty-four hours a day back and forth to one news channel to the other. I didn't miss anything. The off the wall stores your people said about Hillary. I just can not believe, now you want her just to walk away! Will I want her to stay! For what I have watched your going to be sorry it always comes back !

June 4, 2008 at 1:56 pm |
  43. Nicole Ryan

You may not be a bargining chip for Hillary Clinton, but I am turncoat for not wanting to vote for Obama. I am a free thinking young woman, and although I have always voted democrat in the past, I do not think the party should assume I will back any canidate they choose.

June 4, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  44. Helen

What is apparent to all is that Obama can not be declared the winner until the convention. This is the point at which the superdelegates cast the vote that is counted. What has been made very clear throughout this process is the deficency of the DNC selection process.
    They do not want all the people to v ote and have the votes counted. Selected states v ote first and they narrow down the field, but it is a horror if the voting goes on until June. Then why are they holding primaries this late. Change, change and more change, let it start by changing business as usual within our party. Until these facts are faced I will find it hard to believe anything the candidates say and I will for the first time in my life rethink my connection to the democrats.
    I still worry about Obama and his judgement. I feel he belonged to the Trinity church for political rather then spiritual factors. This is not a real problem for me but the fact that he had is children in this enviroment makes me question if he ever questioned Rev. Wright and his sermons as inappropriate.
    Helen

June 4, 2008 at 1:53 pm |
  45. Jerris

I too am not a bargaining chip.

Obama '08

June 4, 2008 at 1:49 pm |
  46. seah

Hillary is an exceptional woman, The best Candidate, The best one to beat McCain.

Her speech was awesome, from the heart in a room with her staff and supporters.

Clinton does not have to concede, The pressure and railroad job being done is shameful.

The convention is when the Democratic Party Announces their Candidate after the delegates vote.

She has the right, and the responsibility to her supporters and voters
    To be at the convention. Part of the process.

Over half the voters of the democratic party want her to go to the convention, Those against that, are the ones driving stakes to divide the party.

We the democratic voters say that is what we want. We the majority of the democratic party are watching.

June 4, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  47. cassie

If only people like the writer had more loyalty as a woman. If only all people were seen as equal. You do not now nor have you ever supported Senator Clinton.

June 4, 2008 at 1:44 pm |
  48. Christine

I am an American first and Democrate second – I will only vote for the best person QUALIFIED to run the country. Between McCain and Obama? That would be McCain so there will be my vote.

June 4, 2008 at 1:35 pm |
  49. Jessie

Thank you Ms. Rosen for your toughtful comment. Now you will better understand why so many Democrats were outraged with Mrs. Clinton's behavior at so many occassions. I am, too, very disappointed with Mrs. Clinton's performance last night and her lack of minimal courtesy to recognize senator Obama's historic victory. Instead, she was calling for "street democracy" to chant "Denver, Denver" and wait to her supporters to tell her what to do!? This level of ignorance and irresponsible, offensive and inflammatory behavior would hardly qualify anyone for a public office.

June 4, 2008 at 1:32 pm |
  50. Beth

Great post! I have always admired Sen. Clinton, but her failure to gracefully exit the stage last night was a disappointment. She has always shown much more grace and dignity. The bad behavior reinforced in my mind what an excellent choice Sen. Obama is for the Democratic nominee. I too am a Democrat and will vote accordingly. I am not a bargaining chip.

June 4, 2008 at 1:21 pm |