June 4th, 2008

Hillary Clinton's concession call to Barack Obama: "I am prepared to help"

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.clintonobama.jpg caption="Senators Clinton and Obama at the NAACP annual convention in July, 2006."]
Carl Bernstein
CNN Political Analyst and author of "A Woman In Charge: The Life of Hillary Rodham Clinton"

Senator Hillary Clinton personally assured Barack Obama today that she recognizes he has won the Democratic nomination for president, and that “I’m prepared to help in any way I can,” according to a person familiar with their conversation.

Though she would prefer to be on his ticket as the vice presidential nominee, said this person, Senator Clinton has said her  only requirement  as the campaign goes forward is that “she be a player in the whole process. She doesn’t necessarily want to leave the Senate,  but she does want to be sure that key people from her campaign will have a role in Obama’s  presidential campaign and—if he wins the presidency—his administration.”

“Yes, it is somewhat a power play for vice president,” said this person, a Clinton supporter in Washington with whom she sometimes counsels on important matters.  “But being on the ticket is  not a requirement” for her unqualified help, especially in convincing her supporters to embrace Obama’s candidacy.   “Her speech [Tuesday night] was about being a player and making sure she was a player.”

However, as late as three this morning, said a source in touch with the highest levels of her campaign, Senator Clinton still believed it remained remotely possible she might become the eventual nomineee of the party, and was determined not to concede to Obama imminently.  Her thinking, said this source, remained focused on the idea that some piece of negative information about Obama might surface, or that some of the superdelegates might be somehow swayed after reconsidering that she was the more electable candidate, after some days of reflection  and polling.

“It’s crazy. Her head is not there yet, to the point where she is willing to accept that she’s not going to be the nominee,” said one of her major supporters this morning, based on knowledge of conversations Tuesday night between Senator Clinton and her seniormost advisors.

Apparently one of the things that changed her mind was the obviously negative reaction of some of her most important backers—-including members of Congress–to her failure to acknowledge Obama as the nominee in her speech to supporters, after Obama had definitively secured the number of delegates necessary to be the nominee.

As the critical response, especially from supporters who had never before wavered, threatened to reach a crescendo-—and it became evident that her chances of becoming the vice presiential nominee were being adversely affected by the reaction—-she went out of her way to assure Obama personally that she recognized his victory, would give him her complete support,  and  try to bring along  her own acolytes skeptical of his candidacy, and would do so rapidly.

Her effusive praise of Obama before the American-Israel Public Affairs Committee today was partly intended to assure him of the kind of support she  intends to put forward—and demonstrate credibility with certain constitutencies she hopes will lead Obama to choose her as his running mate.

“I think she’ll be a total activist. Within a very short period of time you’ll see a very united deal,” said a member of her senior-support network.   Apparently, that will occur Saturday, according to a statement from the Clinton campaign.

Meanwhile, her representatives have begun talking with senior Obama advisors about ways that he can help her pay off more than $10 million in campaign debt, through his partcipation in fund-raising efforts on her behalf between now and September, according to a knowledgeable source.  September is the legal deadline for retiring certain forms of campaign debt under Federal law.

In terms of her vice-presidential aspirations, which Bill Clinton has been pushing privatey as an alternative if she failed in her bid for the presidency,  Senator Clinton is said by her closest supporters to be genuinely convinced that Obama will have a very difficult time winning the presidency without her on the ticket, and that she is intent on demonsrating over the coming weeks her indispensibility to his cause.

“He (Obama) has a real problem with the Jewish vote, with white women over fifty, and a Catholic problem,” said one of Senator Clinton’s backers. “She can do a lot for him with those groups.”

It will be a very difficult sell, according to Obama’s senior advisors, many of whom have come to despise—the word is not too strong–the Clintons with the same degree of contempt that the Clintons have, in private and not-so-private, exhibited toward Obama.

However, Senator Obama is said by some of these same senior advisors not to be nearly so disdainful of Senator Clinton as some on his staff, but he has  been deeply angered at the conduct of aspects of her campaign and the words of both Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Carl Bernstein • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Alex

I hate to state the obvious and I am not an Obama supporter, but he'd be committing suicide to choose Hillary Clinton as his VP. Theres way too much baggage not to mention a huge conflict in Obama's message of change. Politically, if Obama choose Hillary, the Republicans are dead meat in November. The numbers would simply be overwhelming against McCain who drives me nuts (as a Republican) when he talks and gives off that stupid snicker after reading just about evey line off the teleprompter. I support him based on his decision making as opposed to his oratory qualities.
    But this might actually be a good test for the young Senator Obama with such limited experience in Washington. Now that could be a good thing because it's obvious Washington cannot function on its own anymore for a myriad of reasons. Perhaps youth and inexperience can bring us all some good fortune...at least that is what I have to keep telling myself cause this is gonna be real tough for Republicans.

June 4, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  2. Pat

Someday, Obama supporters are going to realize that Obama is as popular as they think he is, and they're going to realize that Clinton has a lot more support than they think. Their continued attacks against the Clintons are doing nothing but pushing Clinton supporters farther away from supporting Obama. Unfortunately, Obama supporters are going to realize this all too late, when John McCain walks to the White House.

June 4, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  3. Tommy

What exactly are women 50 years and above angry about and why would that anger be directed at Obama.

Also, what exactly are the women issues Hillary addressed in her campaign (outside if pushing gender as a reason to vote for her) that Obama needs to address.

June 4, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  4. Jason Morgan

They would be an incredible, unstoppable team. He would be able to get her support and hopefully most of her supporters, and she will be there to make sure we are all respected.

June 4, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  5. T.W.

Hiillary is a disgrace. I used to love Bill and by virture of that, had admiration for Hillary and her views. However, both of their comportment over the last few months as brought me to loathe her and really think the former "President" is longer presidential.

Hillary felt she had it wrapped up and along comes this "kid", freshman Senator and takes the show and the country by storm. Imagine!! She's behaved horribly and has damaged the party and our nominee. As has been said, she's put alot out there for the Reps to use in November.

Not to mention, that Obama can pull the Republicans that want to cross over and Hillary most certainly cannot. He can also pull all of those independents that will not vote for her. If she's VP it's going to be an uphill fight. If he choses someone like Richardson (Latino with loads of experience and a good head on his shoulders) or Edwards (common man champion even though he's worth a bundle) he's better off. No to HIllary on the ticket, it would only work to bring in her "supporters" (read fanatics) that say they won't vote for him if she's not there. The bigger picture is true democrats that want change and the those on the Rep and Independent teams that too want something different.

I for one, would rather have a Dem in the White House than anyone but even I would have a tough time punching my chad with HC on the ticket. Can't stand her anymore. Mean, horrible little woman.

June 4, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  6. BCR

People have been wondering what Obama did right and what went wrong with HRC's campaign. If you step back and take a careful look you will see that it's very simple:

Barack Obama's " Yes, We can! " is more powerful than Hillary's " Yes, I can! " and McCain's " No, you can't!" doesn't have a chance!

June 4, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  7. Ann

Maybe Hillary should become McCain's VP

June 4, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  8. Shaheen

Like most political junkies I have been glued to CNN for the past couple of days, albeit from Vancouver, British Columbia. A Canadian and Obama supporter, I'd like to share with you my perspective on who his running mate might be. Is it too far fetched to think it might be Caroline Kennedy? Assuming he wins the 2008 and 2012 elections one would think that he would also think about succession planning for the democratic party.

Just my thoughts.

June 4, 2008 at 11:52 pm |
  9. vivian

I will not vote for Obama. Maybe Hillary can run again, later.

June 4, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  10. BIGBLUESMANN

Hillary Clinton lost, and now she and her minions actually have the unmitigated gall to actually try to make a demand??? Please! Give me a break? I was a big fan of Bill Clinton's, but not so much with Hillary who, just in case no one has noticed, just ended, thankfully, a failed attempt to ride her hubby's coattail into the presidency. After turning a clean campaign into a dirty one, she now wants to push herself into the V.P. slot. No way! Hillary comes with more baggage than the belly of a 747 at spring break!

June 4, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  11. David

Hey just let the universe take care of it.

June 4, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  12. Donna

Hillary Clinton has not played well during the latter stages of this campaign. She lost her right to be considered for Vice President when she persisted in a losing campaign effort whose sole purpose seemed to be to enforce the fact that working class white people would not vote for Barack Obama.

Cynical politics at its worst. The Clintons bring out the worst in people.

June 4, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  13. Shirley Wright

If the goal is to have a strong America, Obama must choose Hillary Clinton for his Vice-President. This is the only way he can gain the seventeen million voters who went her way. She is compassionate, caring, and she and Obama will work well together. Those who have researched her life can honestly tell you that her life has been a mission to help those who need health care, a better education, and a better country.

June 4, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  14. Sophia

I really had much more respect for Hillary Clinton and am extremely disappointed by her bratty position she has taken in the last couple of days. I, being a single mother over 40, am joining the Obama campaign, it is absurd for her to think that she can steer 18 million voters to support her decision not to concede graciously!

June 4, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  15. Marian

Putting Clinton on as VP could make Obama's first term seem like an extension of the Clinton presidency. Too much baggage. Obama needs a completely fresh start if he is to truely represent a shift away from the old political paradigm.

June 4, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  16. Priscilla

There are so many factors as to why Hillary would want to be on the ticket with Barack. She said he is inexperienced, Unprepared to answer the phone @3am , cannot relate to white blue collar workers,has a problem undestanding Pa resident's culture ,and has no knowledge of foreign issues ( evidently hillary and Mc cain did not see his speach today, without notes:) Tell me again why would she want to hang out with someone like him. SABOTAGE!!!!!!!!!

It was best that the primary went as long as it did. We got to see the Clinton's true colors and ideas of race relations. if Bill was the 1st Black President did that make them an inter-racial couple? Noone ever mentioned her to be the first Black Fisrt Lady????? I need some clarification.

June 4, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  17. joe

But this is all politics, people say all kinds of things to each other and the next minute they are worshiping the other. You have to think positively, what clinton can help him with. This will be a lot of important help from her. You want all that but don't want to give her the vp position? Without her, he has chances of loosing

June 4, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  18. Matt

First, I think it is important that Obama not pick Hillary as VP, but I think a coveted Cabinet position (Health?) could be the best fit for her,...though she and Obama did not totally agree on the final solution for universal health care, they were only a few degrees off each other. Most importantly, I think it is critical that Obama overcome the "inexperience" issue by putting together a great "TEAM", not just a VP. I want to know who he has in mind for the Secretary of Defense, Secretary of State, etc. These are the positions that argueably have more impact on our affairs than a VP. The reason he has this nomination is not because of his vast wealth of experience (he can't and should not even try to compete with McCain on this issue),....it is because of his inspirational leadership style, and with that I feel he can rally the best and brightest to work and advise him on critical issues where his experience is deficient. I am a 40 year old retired military veteran, and I know leadership when I see it. Quick (sea)story, as an ex-Navy pilot, some of the best leaders I served under were not the best pilots, they were the best at motivating others to go above and beyond, for causes greater than theirown,....Obama needs to continue to play that card. For the first time in 22 years, I may vote Democrat,...but he need to put up or shut up when it comes to "Change."

June 4, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  19. teach lady

If Hillary is VP, I might vote for Obama. Otherwise, I'll have to vote for the old man McCain.

June 4, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  20. Margaret

I have reached the sad conclusion that Obama's supporters are more interested in purging the democratic party of people they don't like than in actually winning the presidency.

Hillary Clinton is an amazing woman who has really broke new ground, creating a discourse for a woman leader. She has intense support from her supporters, and obviously cares deaply about this country.

Women are always put down, always told that any ambition they might have is purely selfish. God bless Hillary for standing up for all of us and shame on those divisive Obama supporters who weaken our party every day and don't seem to know the meaning of the word magnaminity.

June 4, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  21. judyco

typical of carl bernstein to write an article and never quote an actual person. He wrote a whole book about hillary and never spoke to her. You all may have noticed that carl didn't quite do as well as his good friend bob woodward. that probably hasn't sat well with him and he likes to take it out on hillary clinton. I guess Hillary would be a good choice for vp for obama if he wants to win the general election. He won't win without hillary supporters.

June 4, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  22. K

Hillary, Obama and his campaigners/supporters hate you to gut. Your supporters love you. Why would you join the haters and leave the admirers? Worse then, if Obama is to screw it all up, which I think he will because he has no clue what he is doing (he knows how to talk though since someone wrote the scripts for him to sing), it is you who will be blamed for all the faults.

Hillary, if I were you, I would start a new party.

June 4, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  23. Ken In Orgeon

Thats okay (Maggie in OK) we don't need your racist, bigoted votes nor any others in your fine state of OK. Believe it, Obama in a landslide in Nov.

June 4, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  24. Annette

My husband and I are both registered Republicans and will be voting Democratic this fall. We are both self-employed and are looking for some serious changes in our economy.
    from Northern Calif.

June 4, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  25. Mary

I love your show. I could not believe McCains speech, asking OBama to use his plane for the town hall meetings. It was like I have no money so let's use your's to finance my campaign.
    As for Hillary for VP, no, she and her husband have to much baggage. I think she is in debt and needs his help also. Everyone needs to take care of their business, and let Barrack run his campaign.

June 4, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  26. Marty

"She doesn’t necessarily want to leave the Senate, but she does want to be sure that key people from her campaign will have a role in Obama’s presidential campaign and—if he wins the presidency—his administration.”

You have got to be kidding. This is his campagin, NOT hers. How dare she, what gaul!!!!

June 4, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  27. Sophie Mach

I am so sick of the Clinton's being blamed by the media and Obama's supporters for everything negative in this campaign. Take a look in the mirror. I am embarrassed by the party that I have supported for over 40 years for the way they have treated Hillary Clinton. If the democrates want to win in November they best embrace Hillary Clinton and her supporters. Enough!!!

June 4, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  28. Victoria

I believe the true reason behind Hillary's reluctance to concede is in her belief that Barak Obama may be assasinated. Hillary received votes when she left her name on the FL ballots. By not conceding, she positions herself as a second-tier option if something happens to Barak Obama.

Her recent comment about Robert Kennedy was not a short-sighted slip by a novice, but the distorted "audacity of hope" of a desparate and disgraced candidate.

She never had my vote and now she does not have my respect.

June 4, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  29. abbey todd

how does one takes seriuosly the Clinton claim of champion of woman by one whose husband is a serial sexual predator,and who enables that degrading conduct via factless defense of false denials.Please Senator go away–far away

June 4, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  30. jsclark

Senator Obama does not need Hillary Clinton. In fact, I think she would be a liability....people want change. Hillary is out of touch...she doesn't realize that people want change from politicians like herself. The Clinton's epitomize the seedy politics that people have come to intensely dislike. Barack Obama brings hope that change just might occur in Washington. To put Hillary on the ticket looks like more
    " politics as usual".

I am a 65 year old white female and I have been looking forward to Barack Obama emerging since hearing his speech at the last convention. I just hope he stays true to his word and changes Washington instead of letting Washington change him.

June 4, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  31. Mary Jane

Finally, this year I had hope of a woman president. Now my hope is dashed. I don't trust Obama. Can't bring myself to vote republican. So I've decided to write in Hillary Clinton in November.

June 4, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  32. Brad

Half the democrats don't like Hillary, and none of the republicans do.. so that means that three quarters of the population want someone other than a Clinton running the country. Why don't they get it? and just go home?

June 4, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  33. Ann

Whether Hillary is VP or not, she will continue to participate in politics and be a major force.

June 4, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  34. J. Ray Bakersfield, California

I am so sick of Hillary! I would never vote for McCain of course, but I hope he does not pick her for his VP. She is the wrong type of politics for him and what he is trying to do. The is holding out b/c she believes she still has a chance at the convention. She want's it so bad she is willing to do anything to get it. She is the most selfish canadiate I have seen in a while. I hope Obama is taking notes. There are plenty of great VP out there Obama don't make the Hillary mistake.

June 4, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  35. Delorah

Hillary Clinton would NOT make a good running mate for Senator Obama, because Bill Clinton had destroyed her chances for that. At one time I, as well as many others, thought that Hillary was a "shoe-in" for President, but thanks to her "Loving Husband Bill" he tore her apart starting in South Carolina. Also, she has not conceded in her "Heart" that Obama has won the nomination.....regardless of what she comes forth and say NOW, it is not in the best interest of the Democratic Party to have her on the ticket. She is resentful for many reasons. It appears that she is not able to overcome her defeat. Hillary can try with all she has inside her to cover-up what she really feels, however, it shows. Just like President Carter said, "That would be the worst mistake" of this Monumental Historical Accomplishment.

June 4, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  36. J Stanton

First of all Obama is not the first African American to be nominated – he is the first multi-racial person

Second – I feel the news media and the superdelegates played a big role in Hillary Clinton's loss.

Third – Not all Republicans changed parties for Obama. Most of us wanted Hillary Clinton to win and would have voted for her in the general election. Now we have to vote McCain.

Fourth – Obama is very inexperienced and I pray he doesn't win and his wife comes across as a racist.

June 4, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  37. mira

I am a Democrat who has no faith in Obama’s ability to run this country.
    If I vote at all, it will be for McCain – he is the most qualified of the two.

June 4, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  38. Vern Ancelet

If Obama decides to have Clinton VP, then history will repeat itself like how Bill screwed us with NAFTA and OPEC for so many years and not to mention how Obama Flip-Flops his issues and then denies some of these truths. If you like to see some of Obama's secret's go to Youtube and search the username "Obamasecrets"

June 4, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  39. Debbie

For at least the last 90 minutes tonight (6/4) CNN has sounded like this: Hillary blah blah blah.... Hillary blah blah blah, Hillary blah blah blah. She should be yesterday's news, but it seems Anderson Cooper and the rest of the reporters cannot STOP talking about her. Looks like she might be smarter than you think, ya think?

As for Obama, David Gergen et al are saying he needs to "take charge" - good grief its been less than 24 hours and in that time he has appointed a 3 person committee to look for a VP, called Hillary multiple times on the phone, gave another speech in DC... What do you want in 24 hours???? Give the man a break and let him sleep for 10 hours.

June 4, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  40. Pat Moreno

Any President must have the best possible team around him to be successful as a leader of this great nation. If Hillary stands any chance of being part of that team, and I believe she should be, whether it be VP, Health & Human Services Secretary, or any position that utilizes her strengths, she needs to stop the "prima donna" campaign and start using her proven strategic skills to formulate a plan that results in her appointment to a key position within the new administration. If not, she risks returning to the Senate as a "burned out" crusader with a chip on her shoulder. Shame on her if that happens and what an unfortunate waste of an elected position, and of her inarguable talent.

June 4, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  41. CAM-J

Hillary, as the Vice-President, very well could be the answer to a certain victory, maybe even a landslide, for Barack Obama over John McCain. I do not think that he (Barack) really need her to defeat McCain, and it probably would not be a very wise choice for Barack to make, because Bill and Hillary is certainly a package deal and they, most certainly Bill, will do much to upstage Barack. Nevertheless, it may be the only way to really bring real or the greatest unity to the Democrates.

June 4, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  42. Susan,

I am glad to find I am not the only one dismayed today. I didn't know if it was just me or if unbiased journalism had finally found it's last days. I have written to CNN and tried to post two blogs. I have only once before even attempted. I am uncertain if I am more frustrated with CNN or the DNC. My son is a decendent of the Bouvier's and therefore political conversation runs it's course.... how sad that his cousin's and ancestory is tied up in this year's mess.

June 4, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  43. STAUNCH CLINTON SUPPORTER

I suggest every H.R. Clinton supporter boycott CNN.

Except for the Lou Dobbs show...

The rest of the shows and especially Anderson Cooper' show, have become redundant, I guess it is to much of a good thing, right Anerson.

June 4, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  44. Zeke, Las Vegas, NV

President Lincoln faced a similar dilemma. He made a smart move, including his most ardent opponents as part of his government. However, I personally think Ms. Clinton would be far more effective as a member of Obama's cabinet–especially when she has expressed such an interest in Health and Human services.

However, Mr. Obama will have to face his conscience. Inviting Ms. Clinton to participate his program would genuinely demonstrate that he believes his politics–although he certainly is not in the position, nor should he, let Mrs. Clinton dictate the terms of engagement.

June 4, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  45. felice weinstein

re"what happened to hillary clinton's campaign"?isn't it obvious, the media really dumped on her most unfairly. it seemed to focus on her every misstep, misspoken word. her appearance was criticized. she was held to a much higher standard than was obama. in addition, this absurdly protracted media circus known as caucuses and primaries is/was just too long. once the first of these played out we had the "me too" jump on the so called winners bandwagon. can anyone tell me why we need so many different primaries/caucuses. with the advent of instant media coverage why not one National primary day?

unfortunately for the democratic party many women of my age will now vote for mr mccain rather than mr obama. and i fear mr mccain will be our next president...be careful what you wish for.

June 4, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  46. santosh hatwar

Barack Obama created history when he crossed the magic figure of 2118 on Tuesday and became the Democratic Party's Presidential nominee. The first person from the African-American origin to do so in American History. The Democrats have shown the way forward. Unfortunately, Hillary Clinton's refusal to concede the nomination will not help her cause in the long run. She could not digest her defeat and it has wounded her pride. If she thinks that she is going to make a big difference to Obama's campaign by manouvring for a VP slot, then she's got it wrong. Though statistically Obama-Clinton ticket may win over McCain in the General Election by a large margin, Obama without Clinton will also make it by an equally big margin because in the days to come Clinton will be a liability in the General Election campaign when Republican's will target her role in the Establishment. Obama's theme throughout the campaign "Change' will suffer a setback if he tags the Clinton baggage in his run up to the Election day. She will be a troublemaker even after his victory and will come to the White House with an agenda diametrically opposite to Obama's. Therefore Obama has to weigh his options before chosing Hillary Clinton as his running mate in this General Election.

June 4, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  47. Cheryl Demas

I am a Catholic Caucasion woman who grew up in rural Texas. I also support Barak Obama wholeheartedly and have done so since the beginning of his campaign. My first sentence is full of "demographics" that one would think would be favorable to support Hillary Clinton - but alas, this has never been so. As a woman, her behavior throughout the campaign and certainly now has not been reflective in my mind of what a female leader should be about. Now she seems to think that she is "entitled" to be the vice presidential running mate. It's very strange to me that she feels that Barak Obama is obliged to use her campaign staff in the general election and possibly in his administration if elected not to mention retire her campaign debts. Sounds like a lack of respect on her part for Barak Obama. I don't think that being shrill and demanding exemplies a leader but reinforces typical female stereotypical traits that annoy me as the very different kind of woman that I am. I find Caroline Kennedy, for example, much more interesting. I'm also tired of the whole female and male dichotomy and have been all of my life.

June 4, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  48. IK

Did the "18 million" voters that Hillary Clinton claims to be her coliation, vote for her as Hillary or for the polices she promised to implement.? Why are these voters being labeled and classified as robots who have no mind set of their own and can be pushed to any corner or put in a pocket by Hillary Clinton as if they are some kind of personal army. These 18 million voters are intelligent people who can find a candidate between Obama or Mccain that represent those policies that they believed Hillary will deliver, without having her tell them where to go as if they are pons in a chess game for her.

June 4, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  49. Marian Kelly NY

I am a woman, retired executive, over fifty, and I can assure you that I am totally fed up with this whole mess. NOW– leave Barack alone to get on with his campaign. We suffered through all of these months of super huge ego trips by one couple and we have watched the Republican camp laugh to themselves as they went about their business. Enough is enough. Think of all the wasted pledges of money many Americans contributed because this parade was not finalized months ago. And, most important, why on earth would Barack Obama want to have anything more to do with these people??? BARACK-please do NOT share the Oval Office--go forward and remain the strong gentleman who you are!!!You can win if you keep calm -–if you could win the Democratic nomination-you can certainly win the presidency. TAKE THE HIGHER ROAD ALWAYS.KEEP YOUR INTEGRITY AND ....DON"T FORGET TO BUY THAT PUPPY!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  50. Grayce

Anderson,
    Think about this : Barack Obama is the agent of change. The first thing to change is business-as-usual as in Ed Rendell's heavy-handed announcement that you cannot pressure the victor to be vp. OK, in his day, but it is a new day. The news is that a record-breaking voter turnout produced 35 million votes–split down the middle.

Did shakespeare write the diagogue we follow? You know, one vanquished foe and one insular victor? IT WAS A PRIMARY, AFTER ALL!

Do we crown the "last man standing"? Or is it time to begin the change that is different from the world as it is known in Washington.
    Has change already begun to show up inside the party?

If Barack Obama is to realize his dream, he needs to get her folks by the hand; he needs to applaud their audacity and their hope.

The audacity of hope now belongs to everyone who came out for the primary. Tonight you said in a presidential election, the loser does not hang around deciding to support the president. Yes,i t is over then. But, this was a primary. There is more work to do–including selecting a VP.

Do we suddenly surrender all our judgement and voice to one person because "it is his night"? Didn't we do that four years ago? How did that turn out?

Ed Rendell is wrong.

Obama is all about inclusiveness. That means including Hillary's constituents.

June 4, 2008 at 11:35 pm |