June 3rd, 2008

The final primaries... Suspense (or suspended anyway) on the tarmac

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/03/art.clintonobamasplit.jpg]
Candy Crowley
CNN Senior Political Correspondent

Bloggees-

I believe in accordance with squatters' rights, I now own O'Hare airport.

I will spare you the dreary story of how I came to be sitting in seat 8-B on an overheated plane so small my computer bag wouldn't fit in the overhead, wearing the same clothes I had on the day before when I left Washington DC for Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Today's travel tip: AMTRAK

But wherever we are, here we are. The eve of the end.

The famous final scene? I'm thinking so...

I'm thinking after today the superdelegates will begin to fall his way and Obama goes over the top with delegates sometime this week. Or maybe the superdels will give her a couple days to do it on her own.... Either way then she would "suspend" her campaign to retain her delegates and some leverage and power to help shape things to come.

HRC said she wanted to wait until everyone votes. (Check) She said she wanted Michigan and Florida seated. (Half-check) She said she wanted somebody to reach the magic number of delegates to secure the nomination. (Future check) And everyone around her says she has absolutely no desire to tear the party in half. So I think we are nearly there.

Or not.

She said Sunday night it's too early to talk about exit strategies... Monday, she's out here campaigning.

After it's over, we will begin the vice-presidential chatter with a long list of names often referred to as the "short list."

Uh-oh, this plane, roughly the size of a Chevy Suburban, is rolling down the runway.....

Signing off from 8-B.
-–
One last thing. If you drop your cellphone in the toilet, it won't work anymore.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Candy Crowley • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Misty

Hillary sounds like an independent candidate more than the VP for Obama. Why has this not been discussed at all by the media? Come on and elaborate on all the possibilities since her speech didn't include hanging up the ropes on her run to be president. By the way, I am Republican...and this battle is quite amusing to watch.

June 4, 2008 at 12:07 am |
  2. anj bejanian

Hillary does not represent "the women of America". She is far from
    knowing what feminism is and she probably will never know!!!!!!!
    Feminism is not synonymous with harming, hurting, back stabbing and or crushing the other in order to win. Feminists do not win at the expense of harming the other, even if the other is a male.
    Candy, I never cared for her as i don't tonight. I can clearly tell you i don't feel good about her being from a female gender.

June 4, 2008 at 12:06 am |
  3. Jennifer

We Clinton supporters are feeling very bad that our candidate is probably out of the race, and as people who care about this country and Democrats we will go out and work our hearts out for OBama, but his spokespeople on CNN tonight need to quit being so critical of Hillary and her speech tonight. I feel t was for us who supported her. It could make the effort we put into this fall's campaign something to think about.

June 4, 2008 at 12:03 am |
  4. lou, florida

Senator Clinton GOT ROBBED!
    Senator McCain has my democratic vote!
    To the superdelegates that went with Obama, even though he lost the popular vote, you are a bunch of scumbags. Go Hillary! given hell, they screwed you, now is your turn screwed them back come november. screw the party

June 3, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  5. Adnaloy

Hillary needs to allow her supporters time to convince the “SILENT VOTERS”. If she looks like she is giving into the left-winger easily, it will just make it harder to bring them on board to support Obama. You need to understand that Obama's team of adviser has said some very damming things about women, and there has been many treats on women during this campaign from his staff. We are very savvy. Most of us have changed our affiliation from Democrats to independent. Hillary is very aware that her constituencies are very tough and she needs to do a lot convincing as to why we should vote for Barack. The church, the bitterness and clinging to their guns are not things that we agree with especially after Barack used the race card against Hillary. He never acknowledged the Clinton administration. He by-passed all the good things that happen in the Clinton administration and there are a many people who betrayed Clinton. I am definitely giving my vote to John because he will not be able to do anything with a Democratic House and Senate. It was a sad day when Barack throw his grandmother under the bus to justify his attendance to a church for 20 years. We are peaceful and he has not answer the question “WHY” he stayed in the church. The Silent Voters, the Hispanic and humble people want an answer. He will not win the nomination as long as “SILENT VOTERS” agrees to back John McCain. We need to teach the Democratic party that women will not be told what and how.

June 3, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  6. Judy

Hi Candy,
    I'm glad you posted even if you find yourself on the tarmac. I always enjoy you as a panelist and find whatever you say insiteful.
    Hillary did not concede tonite and showed how devisive she intends to be about her continual fight over the popular vote. She's in denial and is showing how really little she does care about party unity.

June 3, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  7. AL

Jeffery Toubin was close in his diagnosis of "Deranged Narcissism." Clinically it's "Narcissistic Personality Disorder and Anti-Social Personality Disorder!"

June 3, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  8. Lisa

I am a Hillary supporter and will never vote for Obama. I like Obama. I think he is a great speaker. However, he is not experienced enough for a Presidential Role. I believe that we will only begin to uncover how unfit he is for this position. Unfortunately, for the democratic party it will be to late. Look at what states Hillary won. He is unelectable. For most Hilliary supporters that I talk to it will be McCain or not vote.

June 3, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  9. Edwina Marshall

I am a retired educator and African American. I am absolutely appalled by Senator Clintons speech tonight. As a woman, I am embarassed and angered by her behavior. Her selfish, divisive, arrogant behavior is something that is not needed. I had no problem with her staying in the campaign as long as she wanted, but it is over and even if she wanted to carry the issue to Denver, she could have at least acknowledged that Senator Obama had achieved.
    As an African American, I supported the Clintons and as long as we
    (African-Americans) were in the supportive role, we were fine.
    It appears that she and her husband can not accept African Americans in the role as leader. Thus , I now question the sincerity of their so called commitment to African Americans.
    Oops!! I forgot she really doesn't need us because she has her blue collar workers and women!!!
    How sad....

June 3, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  10. Jesse

Hard Time With The Stock Market. Just Wait What Will Happen If a democratic gets elected. Tax Oil Companies. Just watch People Pull Their Money Out. Think About Retirement?

June 3, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  11. Mr. Leggs

It has just been reported that Obama tried to contact Hillary but to no avail, there was no answer. Whether the phone call came in at 11:00pm or 3:00a.m, she was not there to answer the phone. Is this who we want to be our president?

June 3, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  12. tom dodson

iwas a hillary supporter and will vote for obama i don,t think she should accept the vice president position there will be to much for people to say abou it she nees to support him fully and she will be an ass,et to himbut not a vp

June 3, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  13. Buff Given Los Angeles CA.

Speaking of being gracious...what is Toobin's problem? Must he always be so nasty about Sen. Clinton? Even when she has won so many contests so convincingly some of you don't seem able to give credit to her when credit is due? He has the numbers, good for Sen Obama. They seemed more than polite tonight, they showed respect and admiration for one another. You people need to chill and stop tying to one-up each other. Thank you David Gergen for "disassociating youself from Toobin's most outrageous comments.

June 3, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  14. Jesse

Obama Wins. Wow. Even More Reason To Vote For McCain. I Dont Want This Country To Go Down The Gutter. Obama Is A Socialist. Taxing Everyone hen People Can Nearly Afford Gas and Food. More Drilling In Our Own Shores and Get Rid Of Environmental Special Interest Mumbo Jumbo And Democrats. How Do They Want Us To Live. We Cant Drill, Built Nuclear Power Plants, No Coal To Gas. What The Hell. Dont Get Me Started On Over Spending.

June 3, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  15. Adelle in California

Hillary is doing a great Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction impersonation.
    She is an irrational delusional woman who cant take NO for an answer. The party has spoken and for her to have no respect for the process and the result only speaks to her ego mania. Thank God she is NOT the nominee.

June 3, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  16. Denise NJ

Mason I have news for you Obama is losing to McCain in the polss – but Clinton is winning against McCain in the polls – He really needs a good running mate – the electability factor is a legitimate concern – not only can't Obama win in the major states (where Clinton wins) He doesn't carry the essential votes of women, latino, and the working class votes. Hillary Clinton would be the best thing to happen to his ticket if he should offer her the VP postion. People keep acting like it would be a forced issue. It would be a honor to have her on that ticket – not a nightmare!

June 3, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  17. Cathy Cross

Regardless of how Howard Dean's leadership has complicated the nomination process, the POPULAR VOTE is and should ALWAYS be the defining factor of who our nominee is.

That being said – Obama loses. Clinton prevails.

Super Delegates or ANY delegates should have no bearing on this selection process. The fact that they have so far completely ignored the popular vote speaks volumes to how OUR choice is NOT being considered.

So why do we even bother voting? THIS is what turns people off about voting. No matter what we choose, some back room super delegate vote matters more.

Here's a word to the Super Delegates. The American people are the SUPER delegates. Vote with us, we all win. Vote against us – the process is poisoned and the turn out next time will be poor for our party.

Cathy Cross
    Ft Wayne, IN

June 3, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  18. J Stewart

I think it is wonderful that the first major leg of the campaign is nearing so that we can start focusing on November.
    Personally, I do not think that Obama should consider Hillary Clinton as a running mate. It may bring part of the Democratic party together but would only continue the Democratic/Republican divide in this country. If we are to focus on bringing this country and world together Barack needs to remember that this is the goal and seek another running mate. Mrs. Clinton is a great candidate but this is the wrong time for her to be in such a role.

June 3, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  19. Wesley Livingston

Hillary did her best and fought a good fight and for that I applaud her. I am looking forward to her addressing the VP nomination and landing on the ticket with Obama. I feel that with both of their unique types of politics and vision for the country and with the two of them on the ticket, that there will be a great change not only for the Democratic party but this will be a great change for the American people.

June 3, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  20. JANET RANDLE

What are you guys talking about? She is a tough politician, and isn't going to just role over. What is this "nice/nice" stuff? She is leveraging herself, and the 18 million people who voted for her. Thank you for acknowledging that Senator Kennedy went into the convention 700 votes down. Damn right, she is not just playing nice....why should she? And as far as Obama and his staff are concerned, they better get ready to understand that not everyone is going to place nice, especially our enemies.....so Senator Obama has been handed the torch, and now maybe the heavy wave of the responsibility of what awaits him will hit him soon. He was too young...and he should have been forced to take a second seat to someone who paid her dues for years....Am I angry, you bet....will I vote for Obama? It will depend on how he treats her...trust me, I won't lose any sleep over voting for John McCain....what is another four years?

June 3, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  21. Eldred, Atlanta GA

I do not think that no one has paid attention to the fact that Obama, tonight, acknowledge his grandmother, saying, “this night is for her!” to me has a historical overtone in it. As subtle as it may be!

June 3, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  22. Jeff in Georgia

I would also like to remind everyone here that Senator Clinton has won the popular vote over Senator Obama. You need to keep in mind how close this election was and remember if you have these two on the ticket together then both Obama Voters and Clinton Voters will be happy. Otherwise you will have loyal fans of Clinton that will feel their vote meant nothing. And in two States half of them did mean nothing. Now is the time for unity, not negative talk about who said this and what Pastor did that. That is all in the past and the future is ahead of us. Let's unify Obama and Clinton into 1 team and blow the republician's away in November. If you have all the Clinton voters and the Obama Voters voting together it will double there numbers.

June 3, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  23. Lisa

I just want Hillary to understand that as of tonight it is over. Not only that as a military spouse i would defineatly say no HELL no to Hillary. what would be great for me would be a ticket that has Obama and another african-amerian female as the v.p. i am an african-american voter who feels that Barack could draw women into supporting him yet it does not have to be Hillary. God knows we dont have a need for there to be 2 v.p.'s (i.e. Hillary and Bill) we only need one. she needs to face facts she has lost! her and bill need to just pack it up and go home. the two of them have had their 2 terms. america is ready to have a change and as Barack said turn the page.

June 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  24. PJ

You know what you can say anything you want to about Hillary Clinton and alot of the stuff you're saying is garbage. She is still the most Qualified candidate and I applaude her for staying in after all it is not over till it's over. Hillary put up a great race and yes maybe some things were said in the heat of politics that could have been worded a little different .But when all is said and done. I think many things on both sides could of been thought but not said. Hillary I am proud of you for standing up for what you truely believe to be right.

June 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  25. Demplez

Please don't forget about John Edwards for VP!! The two looked so good when the endorsement was done!! Now, that's a dream ticket!!

June 3, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  26. Denise NJ

I have been keeping up with the show tonight and everyone is wondering why Hillary didn't "officially" drop out. Well I worked on her campaign for months now. Ironically my brother is a die hard Obama supporter even since before I started supporting Hillary. We havce interesting talks. But I think that she did this more for her supporters than for herself. She may have had plenty of time to grow accustomed to the idea of not winning. But there are a lot of supporters that really are die hards. They have no intenions of crossing to Obama. It will take special finesse and grace. They aren't ready to just in one night be told hey the jig is up. She can't say especially to Puerto Rico,Montana, and South Dakota hey I know I told you I wasn't giving up you were important yesterday but now it looks like you don't matter. How would that come across?? That would come off like another politician with a bag full of lies! We have been handed lies our whole lives. She has represented herself as somone with more than an agenda and when she delivered her speech it made sense to us – even if all of the reporters were like what was that?? She was saying to us – that my promises are not going to be left on the campaign trail – I will remember them even if I'm not in the White House – I will still fight to fulfill them however close I can get! Tonight was not the right night to broach the subject of Obama because it would be salt in the wounds of too many of her supporters – in the days to come many of them will realize that he is the best leader to keep their dreams alive for what they need in the future but right now they feel robbed – so to say go vote for him now they would feel the band aid was ripped off all at once and and they were left wounded on the side of the road! I myself will vote for him – I know he isn't the exact fit I wanted but I can't stand the idea of another republican in the white house – I will vote democrat no matter what – I really just wish it was a clinton white house! I wish the media could lay of of criticrizing Hillary for ONE Night – Give her a break!!! She is trying to do what's best for her supporters and those who went to bat for her for all these months! Denise, NJ

June 3, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  27. Brian Law

Hillary needs to run Independent!!!! Obama will never WIN the general election without her... It will never happen... Obama did not really win the people votes only the delegets....

B Law
    Pennsylvania

June 3, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  28. Margo Mann

Maybe Hillary hopes Obama will lose the race in the fall, so she can run again in four years. I felt her speech was so egoistic. As Jeffrey says, "deranged narcisism".

June 3, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  29. Susie Hortman

I thought we were working as a team. You all are not trying to put a team together. You are causing more division in the party. Lets get on to more important issues. Put your brains together and help figure out how we can save the U.S. from economic destruction.

Oh you all are awful and I do not respect you. If you have experienced a severe disappointment and you immediatly started brown nosing, and smiling and faking feelings, , then I wouldn't respect you.

June 3, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  30. teresa

Clinton's legacy...this is how ithey will be remembered....ME..ME...ME.,
    They only think of themselves, what they want. They have twisted everything to go their way. They are using the "people" for their interest. Clinton's will dig the deepest and dirties dirt to destroy Obama.

June 3, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  31. vatrice

I am a 24 year old african american women, and it is a honor to see an african american man win the democrat nomination, but it also sad the way Hillary Clinton reacted to defeat. Obama should not elect her as his VP, she has demostrated poor leadership skills tonight. That goes to show , we the people made a good choice.

June 3, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  32. Christina Thomas

I was disappointed to see Anderson Cooper's panelists attack Hillary Clinton's speech tonight. She has been criticized for not standing up for herself during the Lewinsky scandal, and now she's being criticized for promoting the interest of the record 18 million voters who supported her. Is she truly damned if she doesn't and damned if she does in fact speak up for herself?

June 3, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  33. Jeff in Georgia

As a loyal Clinton fan I have listened tonight to all the comments that have been made and have never actually posted anything in reference to my political beliefs. I feel that I must make a comment on the outcome of the primaries. I want to first congratulate Senator Obama on his victory tonight. I will now ask if the Obama camp will come together with the Clinton camp to make the Democratic team of Obama/Clinton a reality. You must admit this has been a really close race and hundreds of thousands of people have voted for Senator Clinton as well. It would be ashame is she was not on the ticket as the Vie-presidential nominee. I will say if this does not happen my vote will be going to Senator Mccain instead. Senator Obama now has the chance to make the Democratic team unbeatable. If he fails and makes the wrong choice as his running mate I fear most of the Clinton loyalists will cast their votes to the republician party instead.

June 3, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  34. Betty Toliver

How can the Dem. party ever unite when CNN is always bashing
    Hillary. I don't care want Hillary does it is never enough. Donna Brazil can come out of her shell now everyone always knew who she supported. I hope their are a lot of men who watch CNN because I don't think their will be many women tuning in after is over.

June 3, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  35. Norman Drakeford

I watch what happen tonight with Senator Obama speech, anfd listen to all the post comments, great night for African Americans, and also womens,,,,,But i truly think that White Americans have acheived the biggest mildstone of all racial groups,,,They really push Senator Obama across and made this historic. I am 48 year old balck male. I wish we could at least give them credit for their involement.

June 3, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  36. James Milton

the whole nation should have respected this moment tonight. After all that this country has been through we should show our respect to this historic moment. How can we Unite as a country if we act like what just happened is a small matter. I don't support anyone right now but what just took place(whether you like it or not; HAS JUST CHANGED THE WORLD)
    if we call ourselves americans we should have total respect for this moment. i believe that Hillary Clinton had an acceptable speech, but at the same time she showed A LOT of disrespect to Obama tonight.

June 3, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  37. Allie Bob.

I have a question. I dont want anyone to be offened by this so please do not take it that way. Why does everyone call Obama an african american? He is half white half african american. I was just wondering why its never said that he is half white.

June 3, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  38. Justin

Dear Anderson,

I am humbled tonight. A speech was made that touched the souls of us all. A speech, the best I have ever heard. Each of us strive daily to be the best we can to make a difference for a better World and here a man in St. Paul speaking to the World just gave us all the hope to move forward and be all that we can be together. I feel like a better person knowing and hearing a voice of integrity for a better world each day forward to come.

I am a Canadian.

June 3, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  39. Romana Lynch

I live in St. John's Newfoudland Canada
    Yahoo for Barack Obama!!!!
    What a speech he gave, I remember John F Kennedy, Robert Kennedy & Martin Luther speeches , I was a young girl but it stayed with me all my life & Barack Obama was right up with them a speech you will never forget. I have allot of ties with the USA most of my family live in New York & I spent a good part of my life in New York. He will be the BEST PRESIDENT the USA could ever see!! Canada & the USA will have better ties as well.

June 3, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  40. Sandy Panozzo

I think Hillary is delusional. It was very disappointing that she would not acknowledge that Obama won the nomination. I had no respect for her before now I know why. She is disgusting and I am tired of the fact that everyone keeps saying we have to give her time. She has had plenty of time. She lost and refused to acknowledge it. I wish she would go far, far away. She is a devisive figure and we don't need her. I would not give her the time of day.

June 3, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  41. ernie gudridge

I'm listening to your bizarre coverage at 1100 pm Tuesday. You have been counting superdelegates when there is no official verification of the choices of the superdelegates. Yet you called the nomination before a second or third hand unofficial report. You insult your audience.

By the way, it was a magnificent speech by Obama. Only Carl B understands the political significance. I give reasonable reserve to Mr. Gergen and Carl B. and Donna B. It's too soon to make intelligent comment, and most of you prove the point.

Just remember....Obama really needs Hillary Clinton, and your comments make you at least irrelevant....sometimes silly.

June 3, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  42. mike

god bless america we are all 1 thats the change love ya obama
    proud to be an american thats what we should all feel as one
    change i want to go visit the world and shine as a proud respectfull american. thats obama heart love peace and powerfull in the mind not just weapons

June 3, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  43. Pauline, Virginia

As I watched CNN tonight and the prediction that Barrack Obama was to be the nominee for the Democratic Party, I as an African American was removed to tears, as I never thought that in my life time this would happen. Sitting beside me was my 21 year old daughter, who had tears streaming down her face, and I asked her why are you crying, she replied "mommy, I too, never thought that I woud see this happen in my own early adulthood, I never thought it would happen at all." My reply to her was "yes" there is much to be proud of, but most of all, we as Americans, regardless of color, gender, and socio economic backgrounds, have reached a common ground that transcends the division that has separated us one race from the other, to a time when we all live in this great Country where the simplest dreams to the biggest dreams may now be realized.

June 3, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  44. Donna

Why is there so much talk about Hillary being VP? Why would should Obama have Clinton as a VP? She has mentioned assassination. She apologized but I don't believe her. Hillary had mentioned Sen. Kennedy unfortunate death in California as early as this March. She is a proven liar, Bosnia comes to mind. Doesn't anyone notice how desperate she has been to win? She has been so negative. Actions speak louder than words. She isn't even endorsed him after her lost, where is the unity. She is very scary; Obama is a lot safer without her. Barack, appoint her as an ambassador to another country.

June 3, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  45. EmmaOhio

How does Obama win without trying to connect to those 18 million voters? It is a valid question. The Ohio republican legislature is still in session when they should be on break. They are in session to write legislation about wedge issues for the November ballot. The republicans hope these wedge issues will bring out the religious republican right and the depressed republican base.
    If Hillary was a man you wouldn't say not conceding tonight was wrong but just politics among the good old boys. The press is never satisfied with women politicians -they are never tough enough or they are two tough or cry babies. Does Obama have emotion? I haven't seen it in a one on one situation with so called ordinary citizens.
    I am old. I want a press that works for the good of the people, not entertainment. Obama won the delegates-big deal. We the people count. Remember, we are a republic, not a democracy.

June 3, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  46. Len Tell It!!

It is not necessary to allow Hillary her night tonight, simply because it was not her night. It is however, necessary to acknowledge her resistance to the truth of the matter.

June 3, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  47. Chenthuran

I am an South Asian and I almost cried today when I heard that Obama won the nomination. It is a great day for the whole world. America has shown the way for the rest of the world how we all have to look beyond race. I hope the world will follow,

June 3, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  48. Shaun

Tonight is indded a momentous day in us history. i have been impressed by both candidates. However as decisive the racial lines have been and the frustration that the decision of the dnc has caused, Hillary had the opportunity to unite the party and she did not. I find that completely dissappointing and borderline offensive. This party needs that unity, and as a significant political figure, she failed miserably. It could been compared to sore loosing.

June 3, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  49. Reg Monaghan

I have been watching Obama closely but never moreso than this evening when he spoke on his clinch of the nomination. I hope that all Americans can see beyond the divisions created by the "Bushes" of this world and realize that while John McCain can keep America strong ... Obama can make America "Great" again.

June 3, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  50. Tom

As a Moderate Democrat from Chicago. Obama has not done anything in 20 years that he claims here in Chicago. So what did he do to change when he was a little known Illinois State Senator from Chicago?

The fact remains is if Obama does not ask Hillary to be his running mate, you will see many of the 17.6 million Hillary voters vote for McCain and this election is over.

June 3, 2008 at 10:54 pm |