June 3rd, 2008

The final primaries... Suspense (or suspended anyway) on the tarmac

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/03/art.clintonobamasplit.jpg]
Candy Crowley
CNN Senior Political Correspondent

Bloggees-

I believe in accordance with squatters' rights, I now own O'Hare airport.

I will spare you the dreary story of how I came to be sitting in seat 8-B on an overheated plane so small my computer bag wouldn't fit in the overhead, wearing the same clothes I had on the day before when I left Washington DC for Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Today's travel tip: AMTRAK

But wherever we are, here we are. The eve of the end.

The famous final scene? I'm thinking so...

I'm thinking after today the superdelegates will begin to fall his way and Obama goes over the top with delegates sometime this week. Or maybe the superdels will give her a couple days to do it on her own.... Either way then she would "suspend" her campaign to retain her delegates and some leverage and power to help shape things to come.

HRC said she wanted to wait until everyone votes. (Check) She said she wanted Michigan and Florida seated. (Half-check) She said she wanted somebody to reach the magic number of delegates to secure the nomination. (Future check) And everyone around her says she has absolutely no desire to tear the party in half. So I think we are nearly there.

Or not.

She said Sunday night it's too early to talk about exit strategies... Monday, she's out here campaigning.

After it's over, we will begin the vice-presidential chatter with a long list of names often referred to as the "short list."

Uh-oh, this plane, roughly the size of a Chevy Suburban, is rolling down the runway.....

Signing off from 8-B.
-–
One last thing. If you drop your cellphone in the toilet, it won't work anymore.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Candy Crowley • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Al & Del

Obama gave a speech tonight of a visionary. I believe he will achieve all that he sets out to do, because he has American people at heart. I pray the good Lord will continue to bless him and guide him.

June 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Winston

Obama have made history in the world.Also,prophecy has been fulfill.Senator Obama will turn this country around for the best.

June 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Sasha Morris

I am an avid Obama supporter, but I never imagined the extent of the grace and power he would demonstrate with his speech to the American public tonight. He is a kind man. He gave Hillary her due, even after she appeared to want to continue campaigning despite all odds. I loved Michelle's words to him "I love you." He lit up and grinned from ear to ear. It is so nice to have the prospect of electing someone who really supports his family, is a kind man, but has the strength to lead us to a new America.

June 3, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Ola' Oni

Tonight, Obanma has shown that politics des not necessarily have to be dirty and that the way to get ahead is simply preferring others to ourselves. He is truly phenomenal and I wish him well.

Ola'
    UK.

June 3, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Len Tell It!!

Glad to be apart of this very moment and will continue to believe that we as a country now have a chance to change the world if we stop working against ourselves and begin to work together and let go of all the old lies and old ideas...

June 3, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Vickie in Ky

Congrates to Sen.John McCain.The next President of the UNITED
    STATES of AMERICA..After the was people in power betrayed Sen.
    Hillary Clinton the way they did,I will never vote dems ever again.PS Hillary
    is not the loser,she is a vote getter,the dems. party is the loser.

Go all the way HILLARY,If not ,see you at the polls all of the Hillary voters in Nov. ...vote McCain

June 3, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  7. Al & Del

If Obama truly believes in change, he should distance himself from the Clintons as running mates.

June 3, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  8. bob larson

come on you guys, listen to what obama says and he just says what everyone wants to hear, does he actually say how he will do it? can't wait for that – it is not that easy, looking forward to comments!

June 3, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  9. impuzzled

Hillary please run as an independant. You have millions of voters in your corner.

June 3, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  10. Terry G.

Thanks for some absolutely amaing reporting during the campaign Candy.

Will anyone talk about attendance numbers at the three candidate events tonight?

June 3, 2008 at 9:28 pm |
  11. Al & Del

If america vote for senator Mccain, they are all hypocritics. Because the retirement age is 65 and Mccain is 72, a man who needs to take a vacation in jamaica, eat some jerk pork and drink some red stripe beer. Change we believe in, yes we can (46) Barack Obama

June 3, 2008 at 9:15 pm |
  12. Leanne Hill

Anderson, You damn betcha there were people out here who were sure about Obama from the start. When I heard his speech at the convention, I absolutely knew I was looking at the next president of the United States and I am.....Lilly white, female, and 67 years old!
    Leanne, Loveland Colorado

June 3, 2008 at 9:12 pm |
  13. Larry

As a candidate of the democratic party it is unfortunate that Hillary is a woman. When people look at her they see a female and how she looks and what she is wearing, etc. she doesn't look as a person to be taken seriously by anybody who holds power in Iran, Venezuela, North Korea, even Cuba. Maybe if she looked and talked like Margaret Thatcher.
    The worst critics of women are other women.

If she had been a man, then maybe but unlikely. This was a bad year for democratic candidates. Not saying that Obama will lose to McCain, just that being white is already one strike against McCain, strike 2 is he doesn't have the 'cuteness' factor going with him strike 3 is age, more people know about civil rights and slavery than they do about the Vietnam War.

June 3, 2008 at 9:04 pm |
  14. Janet, 60+White Female American via Canada

Welcome Home, Candy and Thank You for your Coverage!

June 3, 2008 at 8:58 pm |
  15. Vonne

I have been reading all of the post and have been brought to tears. I've been a Democrat since I was 16 years old, worked hard for white, black, male and female candidates. It never crossed my mind to vote for a party that has never considered me when making policy. To hear women say they will not vote for Obama because Hilliary was cheated out of the nomination is very troubling. To say she was treated unfairly and should start her own party..................4,000 plus young men and women will never have the opportunity to vote in the general election in November remember them when you walk in that booth and maybe your anger will subside and your party loyalty will surface to much is at stake to not be willing to try and work with the Democrat nominee.

June 3, 2008 at 8:33 pm |
  16. Patricia McGahan Lewis

LET'S PAUSE TO REMEMBER WHAT THIS DAY IS ALL ABOUT

Today is a day we will never forget. I have Obama campaign signs hung on my front porch railing today, here in Kansas, the birthplace of Senator Obama's mother. People are honking and waving when they see the signs.

Though we have much to celebrate today, let us not forget: As mothers and fathers stand with their children in lines at food banks all across this wealthy country; as body bags are loaded onto military cargo planes, holding our nation's treasure inside; as veterans and people with severe mental illness are rolling out their mats to sleep on the sidewalks, mere blocks from the White House; let us pause tonight and remember, for them, what this is all about.

Congratulations to one and all on the Obama campaign. We have something very significant to celebrate and cherish tonight: A hopeful view for the future of America, this country I love, and her people.

Today, Abraham Lincoln is smiling; Martin Luther King is smiling; and John and Robert Kennedy are smiling too.

Patricia McGahan Lewis
    Stockton, Kansas
    Rooks County Precinct Captain, Obama for America

June 3, 2008 at 8:30 pm |
  17. Kenyatta

*I have two more things to add.

No I do not think this would be a good idea to add her to the ticket she lost fair and square he has a right to choose who he wants as a VP.
    She would not have picked him she would have won.

*I am going to continue to support him no matter what. We do not need another Republican in the office PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 at 8:14 pm |
  18. Kenyatta

I am a black woman from Texas and I am represented by both Hillary and Obama, but the things that effect my life or in Mr. Obama's vision not Hillary. Hillary has never had to go through the hardship I have had to go through and she never will. She can empathize with me but never understand what I go through. Also Mr. Obama have lived and expienced many things that I have expienced or my fore fathers. He has also had to deal with the stigma that happens to interracial kids.

*Why everyone is talking about Obama and Wright and Farakan. What about the dealings Mr. Cliniton and his wife had with these 2 gentlemen. Rev Wrigt was Clintons spitual advisor with the Monica things he has also been honored at the white house by these same two people. They were also the people who sanctioned both marches done by Farakan. (also please stop equating Obama with the things other people around him have said .Those words did not come from his mouth.

For the last time read his books if you want to understand this person he is. And he is not prejiduice he was raised by his WHITE mother and WHITE grandparents.

June 3, 2008 at 8:10 pm |
  19. Sharon, LA, CA

First off, Candy, I concur with others that you are the best – and I will also buy your book. What stories you must have to tell.

As to the primaries – I will be so happy to stop hearing that Hillary has the woman's vote wrapped, as well as the white vote, and my personal favorite – Hillary has the older white woman's vote wrapped. Obama has had my vote (an older white woman) since the first time I heard him speak – he's actually literate. Not enough experience people say – yet he's run the best campaign we've seen in many, many years. Unlike some, Obama admits he doesn't know everything and I'm sure he's smart enough to know where he needs help and smart enough to get the right people for his staff and advisors. Which brings me to Hillary as VP. I think David Gergin said it best with the phrase, 'he'd need to have someone test his food'.

This primary has been an experience – and I've seen a lot of them – but I admit to being glad it's come to its end. Thank you again for all of your accurate, pointed and humorous reporting. I've been in that seat 8-B and can appreciate your urgency to get out of it.

June 3, 2008 at 7:28 pm |
  20. Daniel

I would like to comment that I'm very impressed on the coverage that CNN is giving on the election very acurate and precise. I would also comment that I'm an undecided voter for a few reasons I've been a Hillary Clinton supporter since 2004 when she was saying she wasn't going to run knowing that it would be in her future political career but with Obama it has brought other things in to perspective. I'm impressed with both candidates but, still lost caught in the middle between switching parties or staying. The race issue is so common that it like putting on the same socks over and over again. But, if the ticket does have Obama/Clinton I would stay with the democrats all the way and not switch to the Republican side.

June 3, 2008 at 7:21 pm |
  21. Jenn/Monrovia, CA

Why are you dropping cell phone's in toilets! Silly Candy....

Hope you get home safe and sound, out of the plane, and out of those close!

June 3, 2008 at 7:13 pm |
  22. Vana

Now that we know that in fact Obama will be the nominee, good for him and his supporters, possible the African americans deserve a chance, I do not dislike Obama, he "seems" to be a good guy but it does not mean that he is the right person for the job. Despite of the fact that the media puts the Clintons down, it means nothing for me, I keep thinking that she would be better, and now that she is not in the picture, I will find out more about the independent candidate, because democrat party and republican party are not offering good options at this time, it is sad...

June 3, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  23. Susan

Missy –

People like you who call Hillary Clinton arrogant and entitled are working your own agenda. You conveniently forget about Hillary Clinton's supporters... and her responsibility to them.

While I find Obama's recent generosity towards Clinton to be condescending, I sure prefer it to your brand of attack.

June 3, 2008 at 6:47 pm |
  24. Minou, New York City

Hey Candy,
    I always love reading your blogs, I might not always respond, but I always love reading them.
    I hope you had a reasonably comfy flight on the sardine can, and thanks for making me laugh!

Thanks for all your hard work. It's very much appreciated.

June 3, 2008 at 6:43 pm |
  25. Jo Ann

Happy Birthday Anderson!

Kathie, Ontario.Canada; I couldn’t agree with you more. Sometimes I feel like some of the people on the outside of this process see things a little more clearly than the ones participating.

Everything was calculated in this election. I guess this is the “new type” of “old politics,” but it is just a matter of doing anything to get your candidate elected. The DNC has had this planned since Obama gave the keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic Convention.

I don’t know why 360 insist on having people cover the Clinton campaign who have an obvious bias against her. Crowley has always been rude and catty whenever she has covered the Clinton campaign and it isn’t fair to the viewers to keep forcing her on us. She is far from objective in her coverage; it would be really stretching the truth to even suggest that what she does is journalism.

I can only imagine where we would be today if the MSM had been fair and had done their jobs reporting on Obama's negatives as ferociously as they did Clinton's. If the Clinton supporters are smart they will vote McCain in the fall to give Clinton a chance in four years.

Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

June 3, 2008 at 6:32 pm |
  26. dessel graves

Candy,

Great reporting! You are a real trouper.

Sorry, but I think this whole primary business is down the toilet. Maybe the campaigning should be allowed for 90 days, period. We wouldn't be so tired of all the politics and could really spend some time studying the options.

I've spent a few hours at O'Hare myself, but squatter's rights–I don't think so.

Keep up the good reporting.

DG

June 3, 2008 at 6:21 pm |
  27. Darrion

If you ask me Obama does not need Hillary as vice-president to win. Who he should pick is John Kerry think about it really.

June 3, 2008 at 6:19 pm |
  28. Kathy, Chicago

As Letterman would say, the lady in the pantsuit is ready to sing. It has been an exciting ride. Thanks for all of your dedication and great comments! I don't think you will be leaving O'Hare any time soon.

June 3, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  29. Ella Bugarin

If McCain wins in November, it will because Super-delegates of the Democratic Party chose to back the less experienced candidate to represent them. The presidency will be won based on who has the most experience. Once General Election campaigning begins, we will truly see Obama's lack of experience. Voters will go with the more-experienced McCain, and we'll have another 4 years of Bush.

June 3, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  30. pattiaynn

Thank God your phone doesn't work after you drop in in the toilet! Yuck!

June 3, 2008 at 5:55 pm |
  31. Anthony

I respect Senator Clinton's decsion to stay in the race for the Democratic nomination. Although i am a Barrack Obama supporter she is a tough lady and has my respect but we need to move on.

The Party Will Unite.

June 3, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  32. Missy

What part of this does Clinton not understand?

Her arrogance and sense of entitlement to the Whte House are fogging her vision of what is the right thing to do here, which is step aside. Does she need to be reminded that the there is an electoral college which decides the President, not the popular vote?

June 3, 2008 at 5:26 pm |
  33. Mason

He shouldn't even offer her a VP spot at all. I would find it hard to vote for him if he did. She tried to hold the democratic party hostage if she was not the nominee and now she tried to do the same to Obama if she is not VP. He sholud pick someone else and the democratic party because of her behavior should distance themselves from her to make sure she no longer has power in this party. Her behavior and conduct demands such treatment.

June 3, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  34. Sam Johnson

Oh Candy, not always true...I have dropped my phone in the toilet before and got it working again. Blow dry that sucker with the battery off. I bet it will come back on.

As for Clinton, I have been pretty surprised at how stubborn she is about not backing down when it seems that Obama has the nomination about wrapped up. But after so much campaigning, I have to admire her perseverance. I mean, what a tough woman to keep at it like she is. I am an Obama supporter, but I have gone from not caring much for Clinton to admiring her. Having said that, I hope she bows out after tonight...

June 3, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  35. Semaj Johnson, St. Croix U.S.V.I.

I'm a first timer to your blog and I've got to throw both legs into the bandwagon – you've got great wit! I think not now – but RIGHT NOW is a great time for Hillary to bow out. Its been a tough race and she would have earned a reputation as a determined political brawler while saving the party from protracted internal skirmishes.

As a life-long Dem, from a Dem family, in a Dem jurisdiction; my guess is that the disgust that a majority of Democrats feel for Hillary will subside as we slowly digest a general election that will not be as clear cut as we think.

June 3, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  36. PEmmert

Candy,
    Is the end really near? My fear is that Hillary's next step will be to try and secure her spot as VP or she will threaten to take this all the way to the Denver.
    I believe that when Obama receives the nomination that he should be given the respect and room to "choose" his running mate. I do not see anywhere in the Obama/Clinton team of it being a "dream team," the mere presence of Billary would turn it directly into a nightmare!

Good Luck on the trail today!

June 3, 2008 at 4:45 pm |
  37. Michael Southern California,

do not feel that the solution to bringing the party together is offering Senator Clinton the Vice Presidental nomination. I think it would personally be a disaster to bring Hillary and Bill Clinton back to the White House and it would be so unwise for Senator Obama to even think about this as a possiblilty. I feel that with time the wounds will heal the party but after Senator's conduct in helping to devide the party, I don't think she is the solution at all with her and her husbands racist's remarks and tactic's.

I think it is very pathetic for Senator Clinton to be lobbying for this position after how she has treated Senator Obama and all of the racial tactics that her and her husband used.

I am a Senator Obama supporter and I have been very excited about his running and not on style, but on the substance and content of the man, but for her to offer Senator Clinton this position would be a disappointment and frankly lower his candidacy, because she is so much below him in her character's and sense of honest in doing what is right and for her and her husband to make the racial remarks they have made would turn so many African Americans off and possibly cause them to stay at home if she was on the ticket and would quite honestly be a slap in the fact to those who have supported Senator Obama for him to offer her this position.

For the reporter's and other's to say he may need her to win is actually saying he may need her to win the White vote is so sad and if I was Senator Obama I would I would not offer her the position or even think about it seriously as an option. There are so many other's that much more worthy than her. I feel I possibly wouldn't even vote if she was on the ticket.

June 3, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  38. jana/NY

Hell to the NO, NO ,NO way She's got to go. She has done nothing for NY State. Her housband has done much for the US. But they must know when to get out. and not try to sneak in through the back door now that the front entrance is closed

Mrs M. Obama, please Please Please speak to your Man.
    This is not Mrs Clintons Run. it is nother race. it is not her glory.
    Allow us for once in life to enjoy our win of the 1st BLACK PRESIDENTOF THIS USA..

This is Obama's win. This is Obama's "Glory". She wants to get in come hell or high water. He really does not need her. The country is in a mess and he'll do a whole lot better than the republicans without her.

Make sure she's not this United States VP. Mr Clinton is a total mess
    Obama does not need the Clinton's near him. it would be the worst mistake of his life. She and all the others will have their day, just not today in hisory.

He needs to worry and care for the Nation not costantly watching his back. Get that woman and her family and ambassador's job or something, but no -place near the whitehouse
    Do not compromise the presidency with the Clintons. let her do as she please, the VP isnot where she should be.

I JUST HOPE MRS M. OBAMA READS CNN BLOGS

June 3, 2008 at 4:34 pm |
  39. Cameron Davies

Lets get Obama named as the Dem. nominee today,and under no cicumstances lets don`t let Bill Clinton back into the whitehouse,trying to run it
    I can`t imagine anything worse than asking her to run for Vice President.I swear I`ll vote for Mc Cain before the Clintons!

June 3, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  40. Justin

hey Anderson

I think right now Hillary should get out the race at the end of the primary season because if she doesn't it will hurt who ever the candidate is after the convention and John Mccain will have a great advantage going into November. For Hillary it was a dream that was stolen from her and i understand that she doesn't want to leave the race but it is not about her it is about the Demorcrats winning in November and not allowing another 4 years of George Bush.

St Thomas, Barbados

June 3, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  41. steve

Combining Hillary with Obama is like cross breeding a pitbull and a poodle.

This is such a mismatch, it just wont work.

Man is America in for a detrimental 4 years.

June 3, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  42. Vincent F.

Unlike most Americans, I try and take a more in depth look at things without all the cover up. The democratic candidancy wouldn't be close if it weren't for race and outside influences, meaning if I didn't have common sense I'd thought Jeremiah Wright was running for president. Hillary Clinton and her husband need to grab a couple of porch chairs and chill. Anyone of any intelligence knows that they both are power hungry liars. I'm so disgusted with CNN,MSNBC,ABC,NBC, FOX,CBS,CNBC and all the others for playing up to everything except the truth. Now, and now it seems that H Clinton has the option of accepting a VP nomination before even beinig considered or asked, once again anyone with any common sense sees straight through that. It would be a GRAVE mistake for Mr. Obama to consider any Clinton for the VP which would undermind to start with his whole message of change.

Vincent F.
    Spring, Texas

June 3, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  43. Kamara Deal

As a 46 year old white woman with a PhD, I do not agree with many of my colleagues about Barack Obama. The media's treatment of Hillary Clinton has been at best misoginistic, while raising Obama to a position of Christ-like stature. I am totally offended by his association with Jeremiah Wright and his church's association with Louis Farrakan. They preach hatred and divisiveness. I have never voted Republican in a presidential election, but I will be hard pressed to vote to put a person with pronounced racist leanings in the White House come November. I'll probably either sit this one out or write in Hillary Clinton who has the most votes of actual PEOPLE. When will the country and the DNC realise the system is not set up efficiently to handle extremely close races?

June 3, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  44. Jolene

Candy: Always enjoy when you blog. I'm with you, my rule of thumb is to avoid O'Hare as much as possible. And don't worry about wearing the same clothes, that's why they invented FeBreeze, a few squirts and you are refreshed (at least your clothes anyways)!

I'm excited that the end is near but more excited for the general election to begin! This has been a very interesting political season and I'm hoping the journey to November is just as intriguing.

P.S. I had an employee drop her company cell phone into the toilet (and I really didn't care to know the details). But after a few days of drying out on a heater, it came back to life....so, you never know! Take Care.

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

June 3, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  45. Justin St Thomas, Barbados

Hi Anderson

I have followed the presidential race from the start, i was supporting Hillary Clinton before Iowa because i thought she a shoe in, Then all of a sudden like a swift wind, blow in Barak Obama. His style, flair and charisma stole the hearts of many people in America and the caribbean with his eloquent speaking and debating with the other candidates. I support him in his race for the White House.

June 3, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  46. Carol B., Virginia

Aww, is one of the alias bloggers feeling treacly today? Anyhow, the campaign coverage and stories you've provided are informative and amusing. Good luck in your travels.

June 3, 2008 at 3:43 pm |
  47. Cindy from Florida

I am a 53 year old woman and an independent voter. I've watched this election go on and on from day one. All I want to say, is I will not vote for Obama or McCain this coming election. I will simply write in the candidate that I feel is the right choice for the job! This country with their electorial college, delegates and two party system ought to start realizing that the biggest change to be made in our politics is to let the voters vote and choose their president by popular vote. I felt the 2000 election was stolen from Al Gore and I now see the "Super Delegates" are going to pick who they want for the Democratic Nominee. This is wrong, wrong, wrong. There is more room for more candidates and I feel they should be on the ballot as well. This November, I urge all Hillary Clinton supporters to write in her name and vote for her. The other two choices, one provided by the Republicans and the other provided by a Democratic Party of "Super Delegates" just do not cut it.

June 3, 2008 at 3:20 pm |
  48. Ryan Field from New Hope, PA

A sad day for the Democrats. As a liberal Democrat, I voted for Kerry four years ago, against my own instincts; but there wasn't much of a choice back then. He lost, which I knew would happen, and we suffered through four more years of George Bush.

This time I'm trusting my own instincts, and not those of the DNC, and I'm voting for John McCain in the fall if Barack Obama is the candidate. Why? Because he's the epitome of a ruthless, relentless twentieth century politician. Just ask his former preacher; the man he threw under the bus so he could become president.

June 3, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  49. Lynne, Missouri

Hi Candy! Hope your Tuesday is BETTER than 8-B~~~My hope is storms don't knock out CNN tonight as we seem to be located in the WET ZONE this year. Ugh.

I hope you are right that this will soon be over. I'm tired of the goal post changes, the strategy changes, and who knows if the three things Hillary said is needed is HOW she will see it!

It is TIME for the DECISION TO BE MADE and NOT TAKE THIS ON AND ON. All the HATE I read on the blogs is one very scary thing...one man claiming "the 17 million anti muslims will never vote for Obama" is so disheartening. The only glimmer of hope there is he is only ONE vote and cannot speak for who he thinks exists will do what he thinks they will do.

On top of that, all the people who think, BELIEVE, the primary was somehow hijacked, the DNC decided early on, the DNC did all the wrongs with MICH. and FLA. and even that it is OBAMA's fault Hillary isn't winning. We got a whole lot of praying to do if the Democrats are going to be united after this .

You, Candy, are THE TOPS and I think the whole CNN TEAM has done a great job. So, I hope you get a long week off, soon, as I am sure "...there will be more to come..."! Oh, hearing aids don't work either after hitting the pool of water, wherever it may be.

June 3, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  50. Vicky

I suppose everyone has a right to dislike the Clinton's after all when they left the White House there was reserve of resources for our Country, it was during a time of peace and the only dirty laundry was Monica's dress. The Clinton's were far from racist and if memory serves I recall Bill being named the first "black" president by several anonymous folks. Bravo for our Representative Democracy and we are lucky to get the option to choose between Obama or McCain. I doubt if the Democratic party can force McCain out of the race so that Obama is the only one on the ballot in November but then again I never thought I would switch to the Republic party.

Kansas