June 3rd, 2008

The final primaries... Suspense (or suspended anyway) on the tarmac

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/03/art.clintonobamasplit.jpg]
Candy Crowley
CNN Senior Political Correspondent

Bloggees-

I believe in accordance with squatters' rights, I now own O'Hare airport.

I will spare you the dreary story of how I came to be sitting in seat 8-B on an overheated plane so small my computer bag wouldn't fit in the overhead, wearing the same clothes I had on the day before when I left Washington DC for Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Today's travel tip: AMTRAK

But wherever we are, here we are. The eve of the end.

The famous final scene? I'm thinking so...

I'm thinking after today the superdelegates will begin to fall his way and Obama goes over the top with delegates sometime this week. Or maybe the superdels will give her a couple days to do it on her own.... Either way then she would "suspend" her campaign to retain her delegates and some leverage and power to help shape things to come.

HRC said she wanted to wait until everyone votes. (Check) She said she wanted Michigan and Florida seated. (Half-check) She said she wanted somebody to reach the magic number of delegates to secure the nomination. (Future check) And everyone around her says she has absolutely no desire to tear the party in half. So I think we are nearly there.

Or not.

She said Sunday night it's too early to talk about exit strategies... Monday, she's out here campaigning.

After it's over, we will begin the vice-presidential chatter with a long list of names often referred to as the "short list."

Uh-oh, this plane, roughly the size of a Chevy Suburban, is rolling down the runway.....

Signing off from 8-B.
-–
One last thing. If you drop your cellphone in the toilet, it won't work anymore.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Candy Crowley • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Bradley

I understand why the Media is saying that Clinton supporters are just passionate and we will all come together in Nov. I really have to say that is not the case. Many people including myself, we don't know Oboma nor trust him at this point. I will either vote McCain or not vote at all. That has nothing to do with Passion, it is coming from my head.

June 3, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  2. Louis Coleman

It amazes me that many people are shocked that Senator Omaba could remain in a church for 20 years under what that call appalling conditions, while many of those same people STILL remain in churches where issues such as racism and other conditions known to be wrong,( and not preached against) find nothing offensive in that. I applaud Omaba for his desire to unite rather than divide our country.

June 3, 2008 at 3:01 pm |
  3. Bill

Well Candy, I guess the one good thing about dropping your cell phone in the toilet on a plane is that is should come out the color blue.

Let's hope Hillary does do the right thing, kind of like your cell phone, drop out and turn blue. The only problem with this analogy is that in the case of your cell phone, it doesn't work anymore.

On the other hand, maybe this analogy too would be best for the party.

June 3, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  4. April in TN

I question the racial undertone of statements made by Clinton supporters who say they will defect to McCain if Senator Obama is the nominee. There is no way one could subscribe to the policies of Clinton and then suddenly do a 180 and subscribe the policies of McCain. Such statements suggest that you were voting for a candidate's race and not their positions. To me, switching from Clinton to McCain is like .... You order a Coke but the waitress brings you a Pepsi. You then refuse the Pepsi and in turn order a glass of sour milk. Yes ... any defection to McCain is just t hat absurd!

June 3, 2008 at 2:56 pm |
  5. Dennis

I hope that Senator Obama isn't naive or foolhardy enough to even consider Hillary Clinton as a running mate. When you consider her refusal to concede defeat and her tenacity in the quest for the presidency, she is capable of anything to satisfy her hunger for power. It would be wise to look at the record of the Clinton years, when any opposition was eliminated (e.g. Ron Jones and Vince Foster). Can there be any doubt that Hillary will do whatever it takes to gain the Presidency.

June 3, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  6. Smarter than that

To Sharon in ohio. Hillary did not get the majority of the votes. Hillary is using funny math or in others words that are more clear, she is lying. She is not counting all of Obama's votes and trying to count a state that he was not even on the ballot. A paperclip would win if the only option on a ballot was a paperclip. It that impressive. No. There were many people would have voted had they knew their votes would count and you cannot ignore them, and more importantly last year Hillary herself said the votes would not count for anything. She was okay with that until she started losing. It is sad that she as well as others such as yourself ignores these facts. We have the people's choice and that is Obama. I am so glad this almost over. GO OBAMA and all who helped in the process. I commend all of you.

June 3, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  7. Carol A. Ennis, Phila., PA

Smile for the Camera Hilliary!

We have done a heck of a good job, but it is not over yet. Now lets go out and CHANGE the world. We have to stop McCain.

Just remember, together we stand, devided we fail.

Carol Ennis – Phila., PA

June 3, 2008 at 2:22 pm |
  8. Beth

P-L-E-A-S-E Clinton fans, give up the popular vote argument. The number Hillary keeps spouting does not include voters in the caucus states. How can you simply ignore or discount all of those votes if you truly believe that EVERY vote should count? I admire and respect Hillary Clinton and would have loved to see her in the White House, but I can now accept the reality that she won't be the nominee this time. My support is now 100% behind Obama–get on board folks, let's begin the next phase of this election with a united voice!

June 3, 2008 at 2:14 pm |
  9. Jan from Wood Dale IL

ABC News has just reported that according to the AP, Obama has received enough Superdelegate endorsements to give him the nomination. You knew this would have to happen, otherwise Obama's "victory" speech in MN would like pretty lame, since there aren't enough pledged delegates left to give him the nomination. Another act in political theater.

June 3, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  10. mick missouri

I have been a DEM all of my life and I am in a position where I know thousands of DEM and I can tell you this right now with or with out Clinton as his vice pres, there are thousands of DEMS who will change to REP and vote as so this november. It is'nt because he is black, it is because he is a nobody. He has not done a thing in his past and he is a 2 year sen who has not voted on anything that would hurt his up coming bid for the white house.
    He wont answer questions, his answers are in the form of great speaches. He sounds like a defense lawyer trying to confuse a jury about the evidence agenst his client and in this case it is him. The United States is'nt in bad shape, our country is in horrible shape and the sad part is we the people cant see it. We have been bambuzzled for so long by the men and women in goverment that we really dont know the reality of our state. We think things are bad because of the price of gas going up, but the reality is that the price of gas is the very last thing that is wrong with our country. History has showed us that every great nation has fell, The problems of our country that has been smoldering for years has just now burst in to flames. ROME IS BURNING AND WE THE PEOPLE ARE TO BLINDED TO SEE IT OR STOP IT.

June 3, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  11. K

Candy,

Good afternoon – I always enjoy your segments!!!

If Sen. Obama or the DNC, after all is said and done – force feeds the Dem Party or this country "HillBilly"...I will definately rock the vote for Sen. McCain (he after all has done a great service for this country adn will continue to do so). The Clinton's appear poised to tear the party to shreads – please don't let them bogart their way into the final chapters of this – (so eloquently put by Mr. Clinton) "fairytale"...trust it won't end happily ever after.

There are other fine candidates in the Dem Party (women and men) – besides, the White House has 1 Oval Office and it does not seat three.

June 3, 2008 at 2:05 pm |
  12. Beth

Does anyone think that with his statements yesterday about this being the final campaign he would work on, that Bill Clinton was signaling that he has no intention of helping elect Obama? I hope I am misinterpreting what I heard. Bill and Hillary must throw their full support behind Obama as quickly as possible.

June 3, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  13. Beth

I hear the McCain will give a speech tonight to kick off an advertising and stump speech series where he claims to be the "change candidate" in the general election. Just his years in the Senate alone should be enough to keep that idea from gaining any traction.

I'm wondering why McCain is not being challenged more on the notion that he would make a better Commander in Chief. All due respect for McCain's military service, but we are no longer fighting in Vietnam. One of the many errors of judgment that have resulted in the mess we are in is the fact that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are so different than anything the U.S. military has faced before. How can McCain help resolve the conflict with is 1970's view of warfare?

June 3, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  14. Billy H

Anderson how can a democratic party not revote in Florida and Michigan? How can they not give the voters in those two states the opportunity to vote for the candidate of their choice? How can the rules committee give Obama the uncommitted vote in Michigan? How do they know that every uncommitted was voting for Obama??? I am not very politically savy here but doesn't that clash with everything we stand for????

June 3, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  15. Tee

Where did the AP get their news update? I watched The View. It was a false statement.

Then B. Walters says something about a Mississippi debate coming in Sept. on the 26th between Obama and McCain. So I guess, if she does drop out , there may be another voting process to see who gets the most votes b/tween the Dems and Repbs in Mississippi in Sept??? I think all that is wrong. There should be a one chance deal and no primaries. It doesn't seem fair.

As far as Bill Clinton getting upset, I love it. ATleast, he is human Real people having real feelings and speaking them is what I want to see. Not fake people trying to please people and trying not to make them upset, anyway.

June 3, 2008 at 1:52 pm |
  16. Nader Junaid

CNN has been the tool of the hidden hand against the Clintons from the very get go, biased YES. All the negetive stories were carefully timed and implanted with the flow of the campaign. No mention of Hillary's life long service to the Black Folks as compared to Obama and then the Blacks Obama over Hillary. This even if no one is talking about openly but is one hell of an thorn and the main reason why Hillary is a clear cut winner in the last Two Months in almost every Primary.
    CNN no longer is entitled to call it self as independent news reporting agency because they are a buisness for profit and with an agenda. Such Organizational behaviors will ultimately bring end to the freedom of the Press, because they assault and seed poison in the society. Just look at the Democratic Party has been harmed by clearly the so called Pudits of Press reporting.

June 3, 2008 at 1:46 pm |
  17. Rj

What on earth is going on with the media???
    Circulating news that are not true!
    This is the most vias media in the history of its inception!

I feel bad for my fellow Americans who are willing to take the risk of wanting to elect someone (Obama) who has a limited experience in leadership than to somebody who has immense expertise on all problems and relevant issues that our Country need to address and solve right now.
    Obama supporters should ask themselves: "Why Obama is avoiding to debate Senator Clinton since their last debate in ABC? Saying that they have debated enough. Is this because of his "Lack of knowledge" in every debatable subject that a future President of our Country should know? He is not running as Senator or congressman! He is running to be the President of the most Powerful Country in the whole world! He must be equipped with wisdom and knowlegde in order to govern this Huge Country of ours in the right direction! If he is afraid and scared of pressures in a mere Debate – How can he handle the pressure inside the Oval office?

SuperDelegates – you still have time to think not only who's the best fit to this Position but who can beat John McCain in November?

Obama has a lot of Baggage that he need to address… Obama is now trying to get rid of them one by one.
    – Now Obama is saying that he is no longer a member of the Trinity Church?
    – What's next????? His Associations with controversial figures???
    – And more???
    DNC Leaders should be mindful of these Baggage!!!
    Indeed Senator Hillary Clinton is the best fit to be our President!

June 3, 2008 at 1:35 pm |
  18. Teresa, OH

Candy, we love your reporting! You are enlightening, funny and educating all rolled into one great reporter.

@ Gabriel: "Unfortunately… Yes! She controls the women vote" Why is this unfortunate that Hillary MIGHT have the womens vote? Is it unfortunate that OBAMA has the black votes? Cuz that is racism USA style.

No matter what anyone thought, thinks, says about Hillary: I am PROUD to call her a fellow American. She fought the good fight, against so much MEDIA Hatred, so very much. She showed us what she was made of. She didnt need any RICH people to speak up for her, she SPOKE up herself. For every error she made in this campaign, OBAMA MADE twice as many. Obama depended on OTHER people to fight his fights for him. I, personally, found Obama to be of weak character. He did NOT have as much against him being black, EXCUSE ME: HALF BLACK, as Hillary did in being a woman.

Good luck to all on their campaigns.

June 3, 2008 at 1:26 pm |
  19. Michele

I am in the lunch break while reading your blog. You have such a great sense of humor. I like that when you have a bad hairy day. Keep it up... Hopefully, you will be on tonight. I am looking forward to hear your continued reporting during the election.

June 3, 2008 at 1:26 pm |
  20. Alex

Candy,
    As has been already pointed out, you are a crxk-up at times. Would you really want to own Ohare? I hear the sleeping accomodations stink. But amid all the the political hype and bull that some reporters and journalists spew, you are a strong dose of honest and realistic commentary without an axe to grind for or against anyone. I for one appreciate that and your refreshing style of journalism. Perhaps you could provide some useful instruction classes to some of the extremist clowns on radio who sprew horse manure for both poltical parties. You actually wouldn't have to go far become some of those guys and gals appear on CNN with regularity to offer their jaded opinions. You, I'm happy to say, are one of the best around.

June 3, 2008 at 1:26 pm |
  21. Christine

To this registered Democrate, it does not matter if she is on the ticket as VP I will not be voting Democratic come November. I no longer believe in any of the party – I will not even be voting Democratic for my local politicans. My vote does not seem important to the party so I will take my vote and anyone else I can and vote all republican. The dems all seem to be afraid to want the best candidate in the running so I will wait 4 years.

June 3, 2008 at 1:24 pm |
  22. Larry

Candy. Is it going to be an issue in the GE where one of the candidates got most of the committed delegates, eg: Clinton in Mass, but the SDs eg: Kennedy & Kerry, went with Obama?

I'm sure there are other states where the above happened, tho it seems only to have happened to Hillary.

I really don't see the party uniting, regardless of who is the nominee, there is too much hatred between the supporters of both camps.

June 3, 2008 at 1:22 pm |
  23. Kristen

This is to Leslie. Anderson and the rest of the 360 crew did as they always do a great job. Don’t be upset because they are not delusional. Why should people including the media indulge Clinton? Because she is a woman? Give me a break. The facts are she can not win. Her and her supporters should recognize this already. Its not always about you. End of story. Lets pull together and not allow another republican into office. Personally my pocket book cant handle it.

June 3, 2008 at 1:20 pm |
  24. Kent Fitzsimmons,Illinois

I am very proud to be witnessing what is about to happen for the first time in US history. It really makes me feel good to see Obama succeed............... It's a wonderful time for all of us.

Everyone............feel the positive flow, be happy as the pages of history are turning in all of our favors. Out with the old ways of thinking, and in with an open mind and vision.

The birds are singing and the sky is very blue today............as it will be in November....................

June 3, 2008 at 1:17 pm |
  25. Kristen

Great Post Candy!!!
    If I were a betting woman I would place money that Clinton wont concede tonight. And if she doesn’t I think that speaks volumes to Obama, don't consider her for VP. Her goal at this point is all about how she can secure a future for herself. What kind of public servant is this?

June 3, 2008 at 1:14 pm |
  26. Ariston,FL

Candy,

What a great laugh. I'll take it that you tried to turn your phone on after the "accident". Got it! I'll try not to do that.

As always, you never know what to expect from the Clinton camp. Hillary has a lot of checks and some future checks.

You mentioned that she has no desires to tear the party apart. Any thoughts about her running as an Independent?

Ariston

June 3, 2008 at 1:12 pm |
  27. Susan

Candy:

I agree with you that commuter planes are an aquired taste. I hope your return trip is better.

It has been a slow slog to get to the end of this Democratic Primary season. They had two very good candidates to pick from.

Senator Clinton will do the right thing. She would never want to be seen as a divider. If you look back at her life's work you will see that. She has always fought for all the people.

This has been a very hard fought political battle. Sometimes things get done and said in the heat of battle that under normal circumstances would never become an issue.

If you recall her speech in WVA where she was not only fighting for herself, she also made it clear that it was imperative for A democrat to be elected this year. She will work hard for Senator Obama. If her supporters really believe in her message, they will come. There may be some hurt feelings for awhile, but to continue to sulk would be counterproductive to the end result.

You have done a great job! You should take some time off to enjoy yourself! Thank you for your comments.

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

P.S. When my nephew was little, he put the TV remote in the toilet. It too never worked again! LOL

June 3, 2008 at 1:01 pm |
  28. Karri, Minnesota

Well, about these primaries, I'm glad it's going to be over with. I'm just tired of Florida and Michigan crying along with hillary. They knew the rules, hillary signed it, they broke the rules and they have to pay for breaking the rules. Hillary is now crying foul, well signed it with all the other candidates. It's like dealing with a 3 yr old having a temper tantrum when they were warned what would happen if they didn't follow the rules. Hillary thinks she's above the rules even though her signature is on that rules document. I do not want a president who think they're above the rules, that's the same thinking with our current president.

June 3, 2008 at 1:00 pm |
  29. Vicky, Ontario, Canada

Candy, I'm thinking 8-B is probably at the back of the plane. Hope you had a good trip, and that the end of this week provides some respite tor you, and all of the rest of the "best political team" at CNN. You've all had some really late nights, and working weekends. It'll be a busy night tonight; however, I'm thinking that today may well not be the end, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see things continue through to the convention. There's certainly lots of drama! As for your cellphone, probably best if it doesn't work anymore...

June 3, 2008 at 12:59 pm |
  30. caren from los angeles

As always Candy, love your humor. Wakes me up in the morning. I'm with you 100% here on the superdels. I think it's something we've all suspected- that they would wait til the last minute to put in their votes, even though from the start, they said they didn't want to have to be the deciding factor in this close race. Eagerly awaiting Al Gore's vote. . .
    I do though believe that this is Obama's shining moment. And I agree that it doesn't seem like Hillary is out to tear apart her party. What good would that do in the end?

June 3, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  31. suki

Candy – You are a rock star – thank you for all the wonderful reporting you have done and for making what I am sure is a supreme sacrifice being away from you family to give us the viewers clear and unbiased reporting – thank you again and I for one look forward to your continued reporting during the general election

June 3, 2008 at 12:55 pm |
  32. Kent Fitzsimmons,Illinois

The Train is Leaving...................all Superdelegates climb aboard. Do not wait until.............if you wait, you will be left behind. And, continued to be left behind in the future. Even before the primary results are 100%, you need to come forward and show your support. There will not be enough pledged delegates from todays primaries to put Obama over the top. But, he will be the nominee and you need to make it so.................the time for change is now.................

June 3, 2008 at 12:54 pm |
  33. Lesli

Candy

Usually love your reporting, but last night CNN seems to have contrived an end to the Clinton campaign instead of letting it play out. As a woman, I'm truly offended that the various media oulets involved couldn't gracefully let her end it, but instead posted their stories – trying to get a jump on each other – rather than giving her the respect she rightly deserves.

Anderson

What ever happened to your motto, "Be honest about what you see, get out of the way and let the story tell itself."

I think every one of your guests last night and you and your producers and CNN in general did not abide by the motto. Your questions and Candy's report last night assigned the status of fact to innuendo and unnamed sources and you all compiled a story that may or hopefully may not be true. You tried to drive the story last night instead of letting it tell itself.

Why couldn't the story have played out instead of the one sided representation portrayed by CNN last night. I didn't see any other stations broadcast so I can't criticize their offerings, but I think I'll be giving CNN and AC360 a rest for a while – at least until after next February, when I hope your style of reporting reverts to your motto.

PS Miss you going directly out into the thick of things Anderson. That's where you do your best work. Interviewing the people instead of the dry opinionated pundits would have been appreciated a little more – instead of the same stuff night after night for the past three or four months.

June 3, 2008 at 12:53 pm |
  34. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Hillary is no different than the rest of the candidates that ran and have bowed out. It's unconceivable for her attempting to force herself on Obama for the V.P. spot. There are a lot more senators that would serve our country better as Obama's V.P.

June 3, 2008 at 12:43 pm |
  35. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Oh my goodness Candy....you are so good and it sounds like your having a not so great day. I think you deserve a lot of vacation time after this. Congrats on owning O'Hare though

I think after the polls close tonight and the races are called the SD need to get off the fence because apparently Hillary will not end this gracefully. Maybe Donna Brazile will declare herself tonight on CNN that would be a great get 🙂

June 3, 2008 at 12:41 pm |
  36. missy

Candy, you probably own a lot of real estate! Hilary is not ready to concede to Obama? Could her strategy be to divide the Democratic party so that McCain will win so that she can run again in four years?

June 3, 2008 at 12:32 pm |
  37. Michelle

Wow I can not believe the primary season went full circle.
    The party has extended to all 50 states and US territories
    for I do not know how many days. I guess this is our last
    primary bash on CNN . Candy what will you and your news
    buds do next. I guess it is like the song says "It ends tonight."
    Kudos to CNN for awesome political coverage. I have learned
    much and stayed tuned for more political drama and action
    in this jammed-packed 2008 election season. Okay Wolf
    break out the champagne for the primary finale.

June 3, 2008 at 12:21 pm |
  38. Gabriel

It's a shame how Hillary has conducted herself during this nominating process. If she concedes tonight that Obama has won the delegate count but still pushes her popular vote argument, she'll continue to damage the Democratic Party irreparably. If she's holding out to be Obama's running-mate, forget it! She blew it when she said McCain was qualified to be president but not Obama. You can bet your ass the Republicans will be playing that clip over and over again during the general election campaign. If Obama picks Hillary, there are many Obama supporters who will not vote for him because she's on the ticket. Her blind ambition, ruthlessness, untruthfulness and hypocracy became all too transparent through the conduct of her campaign. Does she have leverage? Unfortunately... Yes! She controls the women vote. If she's selected as Obama's running mate, her supporters will vote for Obama. If not, her supporters will vote for McCain or not at all. That is the dilemma. It is the vindicative vote that Hillary controls. So Obama is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If she isn't chosen to be his running-mate, you can take it to the bank that she wants John McCain to win so she can run again in 2012 Public servant or self-serving? The answer is clear.

June 3, 2008 at 12:21 pm |
  39. Gecko

Yeah its great that this may all be over soon but there are no assurances because she has been very stubborn this whole time she may want to keep going till she runs out of money or goes to the convention. I don' t believe anyone would do an irrational thing like that when it has been a close to losing race for months although there was always a chance for victory on both sides and I do not mean to upset either sides supporters I voted in Virginia and I must say I'm still very pleased with who I voted for. Just yesterday I was talking to a few people from Nepal congratulating them of their countries achievement of join the democratic circle. When they asked me what I thought of bush I have said I retain the same thought as when hi supporters elected that man twice I don't think very much of his and none of it is kind. Then I asked them who do they like better running for president. (This was to give me a feel of the Nepalese view there were 5 of them and they all said Barack Obama. It was funny to me though cause although they cant vote. It shows that when we as a super power and a major world influencer(I know misspelled) everyone pays attention to who we elect. They also asked me why Bush got elected twice I just said I have no Idea I just know I couldn't vote both of the times he ran. But now I can and I have the power to without their knowledge put my little democratic aid to their side to help America and the world become a better place.

June 3, 2008 at 12:08 pm |
  40. Sharon ohio

All the way to the convention.

Hillary has the right.

The voters have the right to be heard.

Hillary has the responsibility to.

She would not of got this far, with out the voters. The majority of the people voter for her and do not want Obama. You would think someone would see that, and realize, there are extremely good ans serious reasons for that.

June 3, 2008 at 12:07 pm |
  41. xtina, chicago

Why not try Midway Airport; it's smaller and has less delays 🙂

June 3, 2008 at 12:06 pm |
  42. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Candy,
    I don't think even on this last final roundup, that Hillary is riding into the sunset. I think there's more twists and turns on these Happy trails of politics. We'll see what happens soon enough.
    Amtrak is a great way to ride the rails of life. All aboard!

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

June 3, 2008 at 12:05 pm |
  43. Kathie,Ontario.Canada

Does anyone really believe that the timing of the nasty Vanity Fair
    piece was just a coincidence anymore then the timing of John
    Edwards announcement of supporting Obama was. Two big
    wins for Clinton and two incidents to steal her thunder.
    Looks like same old sleeze politics to me , no change everyone
    was promised.
    Nothing has changed from his tactics to get elected as a senator,
    can't say anything is illegal just underhanded and sneaky.

June 3, 2008 at 12:04 pm |
  44. Carol

Candy, please write a book. You're wonderful.

June 3, 2008 at 12:00 pm |
  45. Annie Kate

Candy

The eve of the end.....how ominous that sounds – almost like a title for a horror flick. I'm sure you are ready for this to end so you can stay in one place for just a little while at least and it not be O Hare airport – squatters rights sound good to me but think of the upkeep.

I used to have a bunch of what we termed "electronic leashes" – cell phone, pager, etc. My co-workers and I tested each of them thoroughly and found a few truths to them all:
    1) as you said if you drop them in the toilet or even a tiny pool of water they don't work anymore. Even a good soaking from a rain storm out the car can get some.
    2) if you don't answer your phone it eventually quits ringing so you can tell yourself it wasn't important anyway.
    3) you can set your pager to turn itself off and on at regular times. One co-worker had his set to come on at 8am and go off at 8:01am – he didn't' much care for the things.

Looking forward to your coverage tonight. I hope 8B was more comfortable than it sounded!

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 3, 2008 at 11:56 am |
  46. Jim

Candy you're my favorite correspondent and this story shows why. You have great wit and wisdom and you are also always spot on with your reporting. I hope you arrive safely and get to exit that tiny plane soon. We'll look forward to a Candy Crowley report tonight.

June 3, 2008 at 11:53 am |
  47. Tita

Thanks for your reporting. I like your style and take on what's going on.
    Great to see a woman doing her professional best.

Oh, and say HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ANDERSON!!!!!

Thanks
    Kind Regards,
    Tita

June 3, 2008 at 11:49 am |
  48. Stephanie, NJ

Oh Candy, I love reading your posts! You crack me up everytime.

June 3, 2008 at 11:48 am |
  49. Cindy

Candy,
    Great to hear from you. You do such funny posts! You are one of the best additions on here! PLEASE keep your whit coming!

I am glad today is the last primary myself! Hopefully we can lay off of politics until the conventions. I am a bit OD'd I must say! LOL

I think no matter what Hillary does the Dem party is already split. The Hillary supporters won't accept or vote for Obama because there is just too much bad blood there. I don't think they'll even vote for him if Hillary asked them too.

But secretly I wish that she'd take it all the way to the convention. You never can tell what will happen between now and August.

Cindy...Ga.

June 3, 2008 at 11:47 am |
  50. Jane Baker

The Clintons have shown us once again that politics is a dirty business. What's next–extortion? And we want to export this system of government to the rest of the world? GOOD GRIEF.

June 3, 2008 at 11:41 am |