June 3rd, 2008

The art of losing well

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/03/art.hillary3.jpg]
Bruce Weinstein
The Ethics Guy, BusinessWeek

Why does Hillary continue to run, when the odds against her winning the Democratic Party’s nomination are so slim? Perhaps it’s because she truly believes she is the best person to be the next President of the United States. Perhaps it’s because she is convinced that, with continued determination, she can succeed at this formidable task. But the reason could be much simpler.

She may consider losing to be a form of personal failure.

If so, she is clearly not alone in feeling this way. We live in a culture that celebrates winners and chastises losers. “Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing” might well be the unofficial motto of this country. Indeed, everyone loves a winner, but losers are viewed with scorn and derision. This is more than unfortunate; it’s unfair. I will argue that we should rethink losing and that we ought to embrace our losses, rather than run from them.

THE WINNING MENTALITY AND ITS DISCONTENTS
UCLA football coach Henry “Red” Sanders (who, not Vince Lombardi, coined the expression) was mistaken in holding winning to be “the only thing.” No one would rationally want to live in a world in which winning is our sole objective. There are other considerations that are as, or more, important than winning, whether the subject is football, corporate management, dating, or any other social activity.

The five fundamental principles of ethics are:

Do No Harm
Make Things Better
• Respect Others: 1, 2
• Be Fair: 1, 2
Be Compassionate

If winning were truly “the only thing”, then there would be no problem with hurting other people, cheating, lying, or stealing to achieve this objective. As we’ve seen too often over the past several years, however, the politicians, CEO’s, and athletes who have made a fetish out of winning at all costs have lost their careers, their marriages, their reputations, and sometimes even their freedom. The outrage over steroid use in baseball is fueled by the recognition that winning at the expense of fairness is just plain wrong. Getting rich by destroying the pensions of one’s own employees is, as Enron’s Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling discovered, winning at its worst.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the idea of winning, but if we ignore the ethical responsibilities of avoiding harm, being honest, and treating others fairly, we will forfeit the most important thing of all: our own integrity.

HOW TO LOSE WITH GRACE AND DIGNITY
With the above considerations in mind, I propose the following rules for rising to the challenge when you don’t reach a goal you’re trying to achieve:

1. BE ANGRY…BUT NOT FOR TOO LONG. It’s understandable to be upset when you lose, but dwelling on the loss, obsessing over it, or making it the focus of your life is more hurtful than helpful. As difficult as it may be to deal effectively with anger in every situation, it is in your own interest not to let anger get the best of you.

2. ACCEPT REALITY. We often tell ourselves, “Where there’s a will, there’s a way.” Unfortunately, we have less control over our lives than we’d like to believe, and there is nothing we can do to alter this. There *is* such a thing as a zeitgeist (literally “spirit of the times”), and all the determination in the world cannot make other people do, say, or vote for something if they don’t want to. It should lessen the blow to realize that there is only so much we can do to affect the change we seek.

3. LOOK FOR THE LESSON. Yes, we learn by winning. (Think about how you surprised yourself the last time you accomplished something you thought would be too difficult to achieve.) But we also learn by losing, if we have the courage to pay attention. In looking honestly at a failed attempt to get a job or develop a romantic relationship, the lesson could be that we need to rethink our approach, or that we need to change something about ourselves. The best way to succeed next time, or to learn how to handle defeat better, is to find the lesson from our loss and take it to heart.

4. CUT YOURSELF SOME SLACK. The ethical responsibilities to be fair and compassionate apply to how we treat ourselves, not just others. Berating yourself for losing isn’t a kind or decent way to treat yourself, and doing so prevents you from getting back into action, which can lead to further losses.

5. KEEP ON THE SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE. How many successful people do you know who are burdened by the weight of their past failures? If you let losing get the best of you, it will be all but impossible to go forward. Allow yourself to feel angry, but accept reality, learn from the experience, don’t be too hard on yourself, and move on.

These guidelines are intended to help you make the best of a losing situation. Let’s not forget, though, that the first order of business after losing is to congratulate the winner. Anyone can win. It takes a person of courage and grace to accept defeat and honor the victor. Such a person is will move beyond loss and emerge a stronger and better person…and be a true winner.

This is an adaptation of an article that first appeared on BusinessWeek.com.

Write to Bruce@TheEthicsGuy.com.

Program note: Bruce Weinstein is a guest on CNN's American Morning, Wednesday, June 4, beginning at 6a ET

Filed under: Bruce Weinstein • Ethics • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. cameron wolfe

congrats to oboma he is not only one of the greatest speakers this country has had in a while but i think is philosophy about religion and politics is just what we need. we must restore the separation between church and state and divide what we feel about god to what we need to get done with our foreign policy and our domestic policy.

June 3, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  2. Elizabeth

I am unable to believe that Obama would pick tonight to hold a rally like that. I thought he wanted to unite the party. After supporting Clinton for the past year, I can honestly say his rally was a slap in the face. Yes ok we got it you win we lose. It is called having class and respect for voter who you will need in the general election.

But lets throw it in our faces that is the way to Unite the Party.

June 3, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  3. Mark Cohen

Dear Folk

I think you are all missing the point....about how Hilary did not give Obama his night. To me, Hilary was not so much forcing her agenda as giving her supporters a last night to celebrate. Its not about the party, or her opponent....it was about the people who have given her so much. She understands her people a lot better than most of you seem to

June 3, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  4. April

Obama and Clinton are great people and they both have so much in common..I mean both are all about Change and helping Americans.. and for those who does not like Obama being the next democratic candidate because he is a African American I will pray for you all because its not a race its all about UNITY....

June 3, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  5. JJ

I did not see it, the art of losing well. This is the reason she should not be ask to be V.P. She just do not connect. She brings division. Not Unity.

June 3, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  6. Jaime - San Bruno, CA

Hillary... what a selfish egotistical person. She LOST, and instead of helping to unite the party, she would rather lobby for VP by holding barrack hostage with her voters.

If she can't be president, then she'd rather McCain be president over Obama.

That is the message i got from her tonight. It's disgusting...

June 3, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  7. Louis

Umm- I thought the superdelegates were not going to decide the nomination. Hillary for president 08- Independent- You won the popular vote and have the advantage of electoral map. This long term decocrat will not vote for Obama unless Hillary is on a joint ticket.

June 3, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  8. Dewitt Wood Jr.

I'm filled with joy. I think he gave Hillary to much respect, but it was the right thing to do. Hillary on the other hand is disrespectful and what the White Rev. said was true. She feels and so do a majority of the Democratic Party, that Hillary was entitled to the highest job in the land. I want to know if the roles were switched and Obama was losing, he would have not been able to do what her and Bill did to him. That is not fair and it just supports what the white rev. was saying and that racism is always going to be around. If it was a white man he would not have had to go through what Obama has had to go through. An if she was winning Florida and Michigan would not have mattered. Now all of the sudden you guys are seeing the light. Come on the REV. was right and the Clinton's are mad because a BlackMAN came out of know where and beat the elite of the Democratic Party.

June 3, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  9. Dadedi

Laura, if you are ranting about Clinton, then you betted on the wrong horse. Clinton will never represent white women and I am a white woman too. She was a let down. Why did she stick with Bill after all that he did? That was a let down to all women. There are a lot of white women that will be supported by minorities and everyone else when they rise. Do not take this personally. This was a woman with baggage.

June 3, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  10. Juanita

Hillary really really blew it tonight. This was the only time she would have to help bring the country and the democratic party together, and she blew it! Big Time! She showed her true american colors tonight. She showed us that she is a sore looser and cares more about the Clinton's winning than bringing the counrty together. This was her shinning hour to help bring the party together. She never made an attempt nor did she say anything about party unity. I am so disappointed that she turned out to be so prideful. She could not give Mr. Obama his props and acknowledge that her people (her 18 million voters) were not the only voters in the primary. In conclusion, the people have really spoken. What they've said is the person than can make a difference for americans is Barack Obama. Hillery did not include the cacus states. Excluding cacus voters from the total does not make the numbers lie. Check the math. She did not win the popular vote. Mr. Obama is the one for America, and the nay sayes need to get on board, accept it, and deal with it. A change is gonna come! OBAMA 08!

June 3, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  11. Maria Koo

Barack Obama from his speeches especially tonight has shown his big heart. He is the leader that USA needs as well as the world. He is not vindictive but very generous and kind. With such great idealism for justice, peace, kindness and intelligence he will bring a new fresh air in politics. There were no back stabbing and kitchen sink and innuendoes attitudes but thanksgiving for great family, great friends and great country. With his conviction, hard work and our supports he can deliver all his promises to make the world a better place for everyone. Out country is kind, beautiful, rich and strong. May God bless him.
    Mk

June 3, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  12. Donya Easterly

One reason Hillary lost this election is due to the media. I am a Democrat who will now be voting for John McCain. I will not vote for Obama. I believe there are many like me out there. I think all of the 18 million people that voted for Hillary should send Hillary $.18 cents each to Hillary.com to cover the debt she incurred during this campaign.
    $.18 times 18 million is a lot of money.
    It is a sad night in my home and for my daughters.
    The better, smarter, brighter person lost tonight and AMERICA lost. When George Bush became president, I predicted everything that has come to be and now all of those that voted for him realize how stupid they were. Well, we learned nothing. Now, we get OBAMA and mark my word.... all of those voting for Obama will come to realize what a mistake they have made.

The message telling Clinton supporters to come together did not touch my heart! I will never be able to come on board, listen to him or help him win the presidency. The only reason Obama was generous in his words for Clinton was because he needs the vote of the women that support Hillary. Genuine – NOT!

I am not proud of the Democratic party! I will be sending money to the McCain campaign tonight. I hope the party never comes together.

The popular vote counts for NOTHING in this country – absolutely NOTHING!

June 3, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  13. ernie

I'm happy Hillary did not concede tonight as you and your panel wanted. When are you media people going to stop telling her what you think she should do. What she let you all know tonight is that she is still not listening to you. She will do what she feels she needs to do in her time. You have your candidate now maybe you can stop criticizing everything she does. Yes I am a Hillary supporter and I will vote for McCain.

June 3, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Erik - Reading, PA

I'm a huge Hillary Clinton fan and believe she's one of the toughest politicians in Washington now. With that said, i really do believe she has the best interest of the dem party at hand and will help to unify the party around Obama. I have nothing against Obama personally, and will work hard here in PA to get him, a democrat, elected.

I do have issues with some of the pundants who are so eager to bash senator Clinton. Do they really think they are doing the dem party any good by ticking off Clinton supporters? If they were smart they would treat Clinton (and her husband) with respect and perhaps recall the good that the family has done for this country.

June 3, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  15. Deborah Ann Preston-Montrose,Colorado

I am sick at heart! This was supposed to be the moment for all of us who waited all of our lives and for our grandmothers and great grandmothers lives who preceded us...for a woman to be the nominee for the president of the United States. I will not vote this November...I am 57 years old and this will be the first time since I was 21 that I will not vote! this is not a great moment in this nation's history!All of you at CNN must be very happy, as this is what you have wanted since day one! Well done!...

June 3, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Mike

Hillary still hasn't conceited, even after losing to Obama. This only shows me that she has had everything given to her and is acting spoiled.
    She should really step out of her shell and support and help her party leader.
    I was pro Hillary in the beginning, which does not matter much because I'm Canadian, you might say. But it so affects our policy having the United States of America as our neighbours.
    Barak is a true good hearted honest politician how many times can you say that about any politician.
    He speaks from the heart and he speaks for the people.
    God Bless the USA and the Democrats great race, congrats Barak!

June 3, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  17. Tony

As a white American, I am often offended when CNN refers to OBAMA's win as a win for African Americans. This is a win for all Americans, and
    for the world for that matter.

I will vote for Sen. Obama not because he is a Democrat (I am an independent) nor because he is an African American, but because he is genuine, trustworthy and the only hope we have to end the nightmare of the past eight years.

Tony

June 3, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  18. sandy ramsay

at 10:42 pm (EST), the integral piece was stated: Obama didn't speak about "me", but about "us" and "we" and "our"; sharply contrasting with HC's speech about "I", and "me". We are so weary from all of the "me"'s in politics. Their words for so many years have left us so disenfranchised. We have to be WE. Finally, we have to all matter. We who are ivy educated and who have had privileges consequent to the absence of lots of melanin and who have had benefits accrue that were not earned but awarded... How fortunate are we americans to have the opportunity to be led by one who is sincerely concerned about "us". Reading DREAMS FROM MY FATHER was an eye-opener and most of us won't even bother to do the reading because we can't or won't be bothered, or haven't been privileged enough to have time or something or other as an excuse – but – it's an important component of what's providing insight into a remarkable human being who is truly a decent and responsible carer. cursed with the "cassandra curse", of having to tell the truth without being believed, i only know absolutely that this man will make a great leader for us in these difficult, somewhat vestigially divisive times. how fortunate we are that he is in our midst. i'm an independent (have been since anderson was on the scene and a mid-fifties woman with degrees from america's finest, and i've finally contributed financially to a candidate, despite having never done so before...please, now, mightn't we let the best man...win...!

June 3, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Debra Lessard

Hillary dont quit. GO INDEPENDENT.Just like Liberman did. Obama cannot win in November. Please allow we the people to vote for you in Novemberr.Run as an independent and blow this whole process wide open. We need you. Start a revolution run independent That would be historic. The democratic party need you and Bill more than you need them. You go girl. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Go independent and we your supporters will follow.Dont stop and never surrender to the will of the Media. They are the ones who have stacked the deck against you. Run as an Independent. Youll probably win.You will always have my vote and my support. I dont feel I am alone in this view.God Bless and do somthing really out of the box. Run Independent. It worked for Liberman and you are more and then some compared to him. You go girl. Debra Lessard

June 3, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Jason - Michigan

I have a bold prediction here and I want to be the first to go on record as saying it. I believe that Hilary will break off the Democratic Party and run for the Presidency as an Independent. She really believes that she has a larger group of supporters that the other 2 candidates and that the 18M people who voted for her with follow her no matter what party she is in. Put me on record as the first one saying this and interview me when it happens!

June 3, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Dadedi

Hillary Clinton is no role model for any young girls. She is a conniving and lying person who is out to destroy Democrats. Is she some covert Republican?

June 3, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Alice

Congratulations to Senator Clinton. You made many Americans proud.
    Very sorry that the Democratic party you have worked so hard for really did not support you. Well, I think they will get this back in November when they do not get support from their loyal voters. They have lost their minds if they think Americans are going to vote for a man who has dinner with someone who bombed NY City police stations over a honarable man like Senator McCain. They have really screwed up!!!
    Take a vacation with Mom, Bill and Chelsea. God Bless you and God Bless America.

June 3, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  23. Mark Kirkland

Obama showed all the signs of a leader. Accepting victory with humility.
    Showing respect towards his opposition.
    Extending a hand to Hillary and stating her importance to the party and the nation, and assuring her that she will play a "center piece" position in his administration.
    But Hillary showed the same entrenched political mindset that I believe is the reason she lost.

June 3, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Bobby Banks

I have mixed emotions about Hilary Clinton as VP. However, I know it will be a major battle if President Clinton gets back into the White House. It will be problematic for the new president.

June 3, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  25. Miss. Erica Oliver

Hello, I will make this short and sweet. First, I believe that Hillary wants to concede and move forward, but Bill won't let her.

Also, I would like to know, where are all the Christians in the U.S, especially the pastors of these mega churches. The bible says that we are to stand up for righteousness.

I want to here from T.d. Jakes, Creflo Dollar, Benny Hinn or are they scarred that they will lose their tithes and offerings.

We must be bold in our faith, and the faith of a grain of a mustard seed can move mountains.

God bless the reader of this message!

June 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  26. Elizabeth

Hillary was horrible. She is all about EGO and POWER. She is trying to completely destroy the Democratic Party. Hillary is still campaigning and she will continue until Barack Obama is sworn in as President in January. I'm embarrased for her. This is so sad.
    A 60 year old Rebublican w/female voting for Barack Obama and proud of it and proud of him.

YES WE CAN – WHEN WE UNITE

June 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  27. FONZI, an independent

3 speeches from 3 unique candidates, who is the uniter?

McCain, who self recognises his humility and wants others to know that there is none more humble than him?

OR

Hillary, who even after the race is over remains delusive and draws 17 million people into her delusion?

OR

Obama, who graciously acknowledged all who were in the race with him and above all reminds us that first and foremost we are all americans?

June 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  28. marc

Why are there so many Clinton supporters out there who can't grasp that Obama is pretty much the same on the issues as Hillary?
    It seems like there are a lot of voters out there for Hillary who would rather vote against what they believe in by voting for McCain, rather than voting for what they believe in by voting for Obama. Is it just a sore loser mentality?

June 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  29. April

I cannot believe that speech by Hillary! Each day, she continues to lie to us and her staunch supporters are so caught up in her, as is she, that they refuse to see that. She lied to us about Bosnia. She lied to us about her true meaning in the RFK assassination comments. She lies to us about winning the popular vote. She lies to us about wanting to unify the party. She lied to us about Michigan and Florida. And tonight she lied about conceding. Hillary has REPEATEDLY told us that once someone reached 2118 delegates, she would bow out. Well, someone please send Hillary the memo, because Senator Barack Obama has that number and then some. Yet what does she do? She maintains that she cannot make "any decision tonight." Furthermore, she asks people to go to her website to "share their thoughts." What??? I am so disappointed in her graceless campaign. I respecfully ask CNN not to provide her with anymore free airtime. It's over!

June 3, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Lisa

I think Hillary missed an amazing opportunity to show Americans, specifically the young Americans, how to lose gracefully, how to accept defeat, to look your opponent in the eye and say, "Congratulations, you win." It is such a missed opportunity to show children that it's okay not to always win. I honestly thought Hillary would come out tonight and thank her supporters and tell them it's time to unite as Democrats. And I think one of the reasons that Barack Obama has been successful is that he has class.

June 3, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Aaron

I am a national delegate for Hillary and I can tell you this! I like Obama, but I think Hillary is still stronger. If Obama is going to be selfish and disrespect 18 million voters and pick Hillary, I am 100% prepared to be selfish as well and nominate Hillary for VP from the floor despite pleas from Hillary or Obama. This is not his choice anymore! Both together are an unstopable force bringing together all forces of aspects and wings of the Democratic Party. I hope he makes the right choice or else there will be a floor fight!!

June 3, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  32. Michelle

Since Senator Hillary Clinton wanted to show her manly traits during this campaign; chugging back booze with the boys, fighting beyond the bloody end, and her stylish pantsuits; why couldn't she just be a "gentleman" and concede? As a woman, I could admire her more if she was as gracious as Senator Barack Obama for the sake of "the party" not the Clinton legacy. I have lost so much respect for the Clinton's during this election season. It is a shame. I used to greatly admire them and so have many others. She has really degraded those she called "hard working illiterate whites" by labling them that way and that you have to be not so smart to vote for her.

June 3, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  33. Laura O'Malley

Hillary Clinton's speech was the most outrageous I have ever heard . Didn't anyone tell her that she lost. Talk about being in denial. On the other hand Mr. Obamma is the classiest politicina I have ever heard speak. My prayers will be with him in the next few months.

June 3, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  34. Gina

I think that if Senator Clinton won the popularity vote, she should have won the nomination. It's not fair. I like Barack Obama, but he apparently did not have the majority of the people voting for him...the superdelegates helped him win and it was not what the majority of the people wanted. When did this 'superdelegate' idea ever get started and is there a chance it will ever end?
    To me and my husband, it seems that the media has been giving him the nicer comments, the media wanted for Barack to win and he did...

June 3, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  35. William Roberts

I continue to be disheartened by Sen. Hillary Clinton. I am an ardent Obama supporter, who today, came around to the idea of an Obama/Clinton ticket for the first time. But, tonight she hurt me with her speech. I cannot believe that she continues her campaign even though we now have an nominee and it's not her! It's almost as if she wants John McCain to win! I still hope that she does join the ticket with Barack, but in 8 years time when she runs again I WILL NOT SUPPORT HER! She could learn something about putting country and party before self, from Sen. Obama. She is a disgrace, and I am ashamed to share party membership w/ her.

June 3, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  36. Alice Burke

Hillary needs to face the fact she has lost, and quick thinking she the best she is not, she cannot compete with Obama with his even temperment, his gift of listening , speaking, and fairness, and he is not self serving as she is. Anyone who voted for Bush should be ashamed of themselves and realize Mc Cain isn't any different. Read Scott McClenans book whether he did it for money and what reasons he is telling the truth. Go Barrack. I am Senior Citizen and know alot more and we are not for Hillary and we are Caucasian. Barrack is the Best to be President.

June 3, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  37. Joe W / TX

Its about money. If you leave a comment for Hillary it goes stright to her fundraiser page!

June 3, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  38. Damian - Atlanta, GA

I think we need to step back and consider that Hillary Clinton has a huge base of support. She has had about 18 million votes backing her (more than any other candidate in history) and that needs to be respected. To just give up would be a slap in the face of the supporters and would make her constituency feel shut out. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama needs to keep them feeling welcomed and accepted in the party. The way she continues to exit and her role in the general election is CRITICAL.

June 3, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  39. Mark

No one likes to lose but Hillary's unwillingness to concede to Obama was a proverbial slap in the face to not only Obama but the Democratic Party by continuing to make Democrats choose when the choice has already been decided. I hope that she closes the book on her campaign this week and begin the hard road to making sure the Democratic party unifies.

Also, why is it that Hillary only thanked the states she won? While Obama thanked everyone Hillary seemed to only want to acknowledge the states she won. Bottomline, Hillary is a supremely sore loser.

June 3, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  40. chris

Keep fighting Hillary I have just given to your campaign.

June 3, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  41. Judy Scott

Get over it............there's no rule that Hillary should conceed tonight....and what if she doesn't. I love CNN but I'm disappointed in you all making such a big deal about her speech. She will bow out but on her terms..........so report and don't start somthing that isn't there!

June 3, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  42. Audra

Yes, it would have been nice for Hillary to endorse our candidate, but we don't need her and it is clear that he will continue to rise above – yet another odd. She does not care about our party and guess what – when she is out of the picture – people will get on board. He is dynamic and can win the general election without her – I am so happy and inspired by Obama.

June 3, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  43. Louise Spahr

I hope and pray that Hillary does not accept a V.P. spot on the Obama ticket. That classy lady can, and should never have to take a second seat to anyone, especially Obama..

I will now vote for McCain, as much as it pains me to do so.

And, for the record, not for one minute do I believe that Obama got all his delegates without BACK ROOM nonsence going on.

June 3, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  44. Kathy - Tennessee

I firmly believe that Hillary Clinton will be as gracious in her next steps as she has been in this campaign. I believe doing no harm and making things better has been her agenda for the last 30 years of public service. What a wonderful role model for young women and girls. I hope the media examines their treatment of this woman in this race.

June 3, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Frank Mcgadfraidth

And then reality hit!

June 3, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  46. Chris in PA

Another contest won by not what the people wanted, but what super deligates wanted, another Bush victory. I cant even grasp the fact that more americans voted for Hillary Clinton and it comes down to super deligates, if Hillary is not his VP choise I will have to vote McCain.

June 3, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Susan Johnson

I think that people should not criticize Hillary for not giving up. I have been her supporter for years and I am not sure I can support Obama and I need Hillary to smooth the way for me. I need a few days to reconcile what has happened. I am very disappointed and I am hoping Hillary can help me overcome my doubts. I am considering not voting as I don't know that I can vote for Obama. I haven't supported a candidate since 1960 and I gave $ to Hillary. The first time I've ever financially supported a candidate. I worked for her and I am extremely saddened just now. I was hoping she would not concede or drop out. I need the time she has given me. I am 63, graduate degree and professional grandmother.
    Susan Johnson

June 3, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  48. L. Cabrera

Yeah. Obama knows how to lose well. That is why he worked to disqualify his opponents even before they could put their names on the ballots in Chicago on technicalities like a shrewed lawyer. He then of course ran unapposed. Check it out. But of course he is the candidate for "change". LOL

June 3, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  49. Peter O"Donnell

The problem Hillary Clinton faces is this - what if she and her advisers honestly think that Barack Obama is not fit to serve as Chief Executive and President of the United States?

Can they in all honesty endorse him and stand down their campaign, when they are still in possession of almost 50% of the delegates?

Can she even accept in good faith a vice-presidential place on the ticket?

I ask these things because I have the feeling that Obama will self-destruct over the next five months, who knows when or exactly why, but the man is at the same time a demagogue, a charlatan, a master politician, and a dangerous neophyte who could prove to be a very dangerous liability to American freedom and security.

Hillary on the other hand is Hillary, with Bill there in the near background. We all know what to expect there.

Peter

- just asking, like, because I'm 23 miles from the border in BC Canada

June 3, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  50. Chris Pierson

Senator Clinton and grace are antonymns. Hillary invites us to weigh in at her website but the only choice is to say that you are supporting her. Now that is a sense of entitlement. She has lost all credibility and is harming the Democratic Party.

June 3, 2008 at 10:10 pm |