June 3rd, 2008

Morning Buzz

Morning folks...

It is showdown day...The polls in South Dakota and Montana open in less than ONE HOUR...today, the last votes will be cast in this highly contested and EXTREMELY close Democratic Presidential contest. Barack Obama is just 42 delegates shy of the 2,118 now needed to clinch the nomination. There are not enough pledged delegates at stake in Montana and South Dakota to put Obama over the top, but a rush of endorsements by the remaining undeclared "superdelegates" which are expected today could allow him to claim victory. Just now on NBC's TODAY SHOW –The House majority whip and the top ranking African-American in Congress endorsed Sen. Barack Obama in the Democratic presidential race...so as I type the numbers keep changing....

All the headlines this morning are ALL politics:

The Washington Post reports this morning: The People Have Spoken - Whatever Clinton might say, there is considerable doubt about her claim to be "winning the popular vote." The only sense in which that is true is if she includes all the people who voted for her not only in Florida but also in Michigan, an election that she previously said "is not going to count for anything." She also has to exclude the 230,000 "uncommitted voters" in Michigan, most of whom would have probably supported Barack Obama had he been on the ballot, and caucus participants in Iowa, Nevada, Maine, and Washington. So with Obama looking more and more toward a likely general election match up with John McCain, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee. And while not taking anything for granted, it appears he's starting to look at Clinton as less of a rival and more as an important ally who can help him win in November.

CNN is reporting that: She'll do what it takes in November. Sen. Hillary Clinton is poised to deliver a message Tuesday "that she will do whatever it takes" to put a Democrat in the White House - a message that Sen. Barack Obama insiders say indicates she would accept an offer to be Obama's running mate if asked.

WSJ: Obama Camp Begins Delicate Task Of Wooing Clinton's Supporters. The awkward courtship has begun between supporters of presidential candidates Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama.

BUT if you are gambler..check out the NY POST. GAMBLERS BET ON HILL & MITT FOR VEEP.
Hillary Rodham Clinton and Mitt Romney are the favorites to be their parties' vice-presidential nominees, according to a popular online betting site. Intrade, which correctly picked the winner of every state in the 2004 general election, evaluates the veep stakes chances of 30 prominent political figures – 16 Democrats and 14 Republicans.

So for all the primary results and the final numbers TUNE to CNN tonight, starting at 7pm, Anderson and the best political team on TV will have all the analysis and all the speeches...YOU DONT WANT TO MISS THE final chapter of this never ending drama...

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Lori

Just wanted to say Anderson, don't under estimate the people that do NOT want Obama as president. I am democrat through and through, but if he gets the nomination, I will be forced to vote independent, to pull away from him. I don't want McCain in there either, so I'll have no choice but to vote that way!!

June 3, 2008 at 9:43 am |
  2. Helen

Let me preface this by saying, I am an African-American woman that supports Hillary and Obama! I will also let you know that white women are not the only ones upset about the media treatment of Hillary…I too am mad as hell!

The timing of the Vanity Fair's unfair article about Bill is only to try and make Hillary look bad again to try and prevent her from being on the ticket with Obama. I don’t blame Bill….he has the right to be mad!

If there isn't a Obama/Hillary .....I will be very upset!

Just remember, Hillary cared about healthcare when it wasn't popular.....

June 3, 2008 at 9:39 am |
  3. Art

I think instead of nation building in Iraq, US troops should pull out and stop by in Palestine on there way back home and help in Nation building there. Us would accomplish a win tremendous goodwill and help resolve the lingering issue in Middle East peace process.

June 3, 2008 at 9:31 am |
  4. J.V.Hodgson

The biggest morning buzz should be the simple facts.
    First, Anderson well done in trying to keep it as though it is still a contest!!?
    If all the Pledged and SD's remaining now and HRC got 100% she would be able to amass 2126.
    That,s why having conceded 19 votes on Michigan for unity Obama camp did not need to concede 4 more, nor would Hilary if roles were reversed.
    She will not take all the pledged delegates in Montana and South Dakota which raises her bar further and means that existing SD delegates who voted for Obama would have to flip, flop a process that should be banned.
    90% of blogs I read say HRC should concede and support the party, but even today In South Dakota it is still conceivable based on what she says that she will go to the convention.
    The SD's have to resolve this within this week and give someone 2118. Otherwise, too many Democrats will be miffed!! Good a proper.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

June 3, 2008 at 9:25 am |
  5. EBC

Anderson –

As sad as it is for the Clinton supporters to admit, it's time to end the Clinton era and move this country forward. Americans have supported the Clintons dating back to the 1980s – 1990s. We supported Bill Clinton as a two-termed President, and we also supported his with as a NY Senator.

Having said that, it's NOW time to pass the torch to President Obama and allow him to move this country forward rather than backwards. We can't keep looking back and living in the past. This country needs to start FRESH and start working on the "future" rather than the past.

The Clintons have served this country and the party well, they are to be highly commended. BUT there comes a time in every one's life where its NOT about you anymore, it's about what BEST for the country. It's time to step aside and let President Obama serve and honor our country with his fresh and new leadership.

Americans are READY for CHANGE, they're ready to move this country in a new and fresh path towards a new future.

June 3, 2008 at 8:26 am |
  6. KAB

"Final Chapter" – what we all do tomorrow if this is the "final chapter" ?

This will contested and studied for years (decades, maybe) Hopefully the DNC can learn from this experience that this process is flawed and do something to fix it before anything like this happens again.

June 3, 2008 at 8:20 am |
  7. Cindy

All I can say is THANK GOD these primaries are over today!! Maybe we can get off of politics and get back to some real news!!

I think that Obama is going to see that he can not get all of Hillary's supporters to rally behind him and to vote for him. I don't think Hillary coming out and asking them to would even help.There is just too much bad blood and hate between the two camps. Plus Obama's supporters have constantly called Hillary's supporters all kinds of bad names. How can those two camps come together? I just don't see it happening.

But what I do see happening is them and the independents backing John McCain and him being our next president because of that!

Cindy...Ga.

June 3, 2008 at 8:19 am |
  8. Pati Mc, Camp Hill, PA

Good morning 360 gang!

Can someone please do me a huge favor and wish Anderson a very Happy Birthday for me? Thanks you guys! See ya tonight.

June 3, 2008 at 8:17 am |
  9. Barbara

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I was able to see you in person in Jacksonville, FL in Oct 2007. I enjoy watching your show every night. You are truly an amazing individual. All the things that you have accomplished and things you set to accomplish. I wonder if you ever came across a jury that got along. Most do not. I was on a jury 3 years ago, and we keep in contact. We took a picture of all of us on the last day. I wish I had the opportunity while you were here in Jacksonville, FL to have spoken to you. You have accomplished so many things and have a life time of stories to tell. I will definitely purchase your new book. HAVE A WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY!!!

June 3, 2008 at 8:14 am |
  10. Ann

To all those Obama fans who think the democratic party will come together for him.....not gonna happen. Here's a man we know little about and the little we know is NOT good. He's got too many radical friends and associates. I'm amazed that reasonably intelligent people are not more concerned about this. It may come back to bite them later IF he's elected. But that's doubtful...Hillary should go all the way to the convention. She's our only hope..otherwise, it is McCain. And Bill, give it a break you idiots. He's smarter than most of those coming up with all this crap...who cares! A lot of you are fixing to try to get a man in office who does God knows what...and you are worried about somebody doing something that most of you are doing! God help us!

June 3, 2008 at 8:11 am |
  11. Kristen

All I can say is Thank God it’s almost over. What started out to be an exciting and inspiring primary season has turned into a well overdrawn out fight to a contest everyone knew who would win months ago. I hope but wouldn’t bet money on it that Clinton just steps aside tonight. She really wouldn’t be doing herself any favors or this party by dragging anything past tonight. Something tells me though her pride just might get in the way and because things are either her way or the high way she pulls some of her Clinton tricks out and this thins is prolonged a little longer. Despite the minor obstacle of Clinton, congratulations Obama, and just say no to Hillary as VP you deserve a much better VP than her and so do your supporters as well as the rest of America.

June 3, 2008 at 7:58 am |
  12. Jack, Long Island, NY

Happy Birthday, AC, if the rumor is true!

June 3, 2008 at 7:39 am |