June 3rd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/3/08

Anderson Cooper is in the CNN Election Center tonight with the Best Political Team on Television.

The polls in South Dakota and Montana will be closed by 10p ET. Will Sen. Barack Obama be able to secure the Democratic nomination tonight? We'll hear from Sen. Obama and Sen. Clinton.

We've been seeing Obama looking more and more toward a likely general election matchup with John McCain, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee. How will that race shape up?

CNN Senior political analyst Bill Schneider will once again join the 360° live blog to answer some of your questions. Please be nice to him.

Be sure to check out our live web camera from the Election Center. The shot features a behind the scenes look at the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET. Take a look at a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not.
LINK TO COMMENTS POST

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Antonio

I am so excited for Obama and the constituents he has attracted to his campaign. His speech was uplifting, respectful, and gracious. Who could not love this man and what he embodies? He is a true American! and one I'm proud to call my brother...

God bless Obama, his family, and this great nation we call America.

June 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  2. alan

Will Obama actually follow thru like reagen did? He gave a very well spoken speach and has won my support. Hopefully he will walk the walk...

June 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  3. pgrisier

David Gergen, come' on. Obama's speech was far superior to even Bill Clinton's best. And President Clinton was and is the best in a generation – no doubt about it.

But I might have to look back to Abraham Lincoln to find a leader who could, with the power of his oratory, so help move the nation forward and away from factional disintegration.

(IMHO, of course).
    - p

June 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Cheryl

Congratulations to our future president! What a class act you are, Senator Obama. Hillary, on the other hand, behaved like a complete buffoon and a sore loser. She should be ashamed of herself. Thank God enough people saw who the RIGHT nominee should be.

June 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  5. Matthew Malecki

Congratulations to Barack Obama, however as a Hillary supporter, I will not vote for him in the fall. My vote will be cast for John McCain.

June 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Carol B., Virginia

Exciting speeches and debates on 360 tonight. Obama and Clinton, too. Happy Birthday A.C.

June 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  7. Tia

I think Barack Obama's speech was very good. He certainly does have that star quality about him. There's talk about Hilary causing divisiveness in the party but if I was in her position, I wouldn't just wave my little white flag so quickly. I wouldn't just concede like that because this was a long primary race. I do think that the media is a little too harsh on Clinton. Give her a break! She's human like the rest of us.

June 3, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Obama's speech tonight was amazing. He is just everything I would want in a leader. I seriously wish we could have him up here in Canada or we could vote for him down there

June 3, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  9. BPP

Hello Bill. I would like to commend you personally as I feel like you were one of those at CNN who always acted professionally as there are a few on the set whose biasness comes right out of the TV set.

I feel as if people need to lay of Hillary as she gave the speech as she felt and was not rude or disrespectful. She has made history as well by coming this far as a woman and I think for her great and hard work, she deserves to be on the ticket if she wishes to be.

June 3, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Kenneth Lamoureux

I am a big supporter of either canidate. What are the realistic chances that Obama will have Hillary on the ticket? If not Hillary, who would be the best canidate for VP?

June 3, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Roger

From this distance, it seems that Sen. Clinton is an ungracious politician. She had the chance to embrace Sen. Obama and what did she do? Politics is a dirty game and Sen. Clinton is the comsumate political 'being'

June 3, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Karen

Congratulations Obama!! Thank you for being such a great leader and an inspiration to so many.

June 3, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Darrin

Hi Anderson,

I believe that Hillary Clinton, by not endorsing Obama today, missed a golden opportunity to unify the party and show that her campaign was about the people and the nation and not about herself. I'm disappointed.

Peace

June 3, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  14. Ayesha Hasan

Humbleness whilst there is greatness is an endearing quality that very few people possess, much less a politician. Barack Obama proved that today in his most admirable speech.

June 3, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  15. Amy Scurria

Tonight we are watching history in the making. What an amazing time we live in and what a rich opportunity for growth in our country. I am deeply touched that Barack Obama will lead us into the change for which this country is so ripe.
    -Amy Scurria
    Durham, NC

June 3, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Melinda

How great is this! Congratulations to Barack Obama, our future president. America has spoken, and god bless everyone!

June 3, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Jodi Graham

Watching Obama tonight would make me proud to be an American!!!
    I am a Canadian. living in Canada but following this election with great interest.

June 3, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Doug

I have lost all respect for Hillary to not admit her cause is now lost and to support her party. To play this 'I'll think about it' game is very disappointing...

June 3, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Bonnie

He brought me to tears tonight. I was a Hillary supporter but I'm ready for Obama now.

June 3, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Annick ,Maryland

If HRC cannot throw his support behind him as a nominee, how can she support him as a VP? Could she be threaten the democratic party to run as an independent?

June 3, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  21. Marc

Im upset that Hillary lost. Even though she has the popular vote the rules are rules so I understand. I'm not an Obama supporter and the only way I'd vote for him is if she's on his ticket.
    Also her speech was extremely moving tonight.

June 3, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Lindy Atoms

What a phenomenal candidate you are, Senator Obama. Take us all the way to the Presidency, please. We've been waiting for you!

June 3, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  23. CaseyJPS - California

HCs speech was supportive of Obama's campaign efforts and that was it. He also got points for getting the vote out. She will not let go of the cards in her hand, yet.

June 3, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Yvonne

Wow. I'm so excited about being a part of History! I can hardly wait until Obama's inauguration speech in January!

June 3, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  25. Cara

Congratulations to Barack Obama on clinching the Democratic nomination! His speech was so inspiring; I cannot seem to sit still. I have never been so excited about a presidential nominee or race thus far. He is truly and amazing person and the BEST candidate for president of the United States of America.

June 3, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Gary

Barack spoke extremely well and was gracious and very dignified even though Hillary did not concede. He is trying to heal the division within the party and move forward.

June 3, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Steve Docherty

Obama showed us tonight why he deserves the highest honor this land has to offer.

June 3, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  28. Danielle B NC, Charlotte

Obama you brought tears to my eyes! This is truly History in the making and the BEST candidate DID win tonight. Hillary please let go of your pride and bring the party together. Your rant is getting old and it is time to support OUR NOMINEE! OBAMA '08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  29. Larry

Great speech by Obama. I hope he wins in November.

June 3, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Manouela, MI

That was seriously one hell of a speech! It was perfect, couldn't have been said better than anyone!

June 3, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Bill Schneider

Greetings from the CNN Election Center.

It looks like the Clintons' decision to spend most of the past week in South Dakota paid big dividends there for Hillary Clinton. But Barack Obama - who spent the week traveling to major swing states like Ohio and New Mexico - was behaving more like a candidate who felt as though they might be a potential nominee.

Clinton's decisions and remarks over the next few days will go a long towards determining whether or not her most loyal supporters will make the journey over to Obama's camp.

What do you think? Did Clinton's speech set lay the groundwork for that transition - or signal a less-than-enthusiastic embrace of Obama's effort?

June 3, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  32. Rita, Tampa FL

I wish this would be a race about the politics instead of a woman canidate vs. a biracial canidate......

June 3, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Gloria

Congratulations Senator OBAMA!! another uplifting, positive and uniting speech on this historic and momentous occasion. He is a uniter which is what this country needs. What a breath of fresh air...it's on to the White House!

June 3, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  34. EJ (USA)

Michelle Obama looks dazzling tonight!

June 3, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  35. C Lewis

I do not agree with all of Obama's views and strategies, but history is being made today and as a person who believes that this country is in distress, I will support a person who wants change, things can only get better not worse.

June 3, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  36. Jolene

However, I did like Hillary's bump music (Simply the Best) over Obama's. Seeing that crowd has got to make McCain a bit uneasy.

June 3, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Scary, I truly like and will vote for Obama although I am a Hillary supporter. I am afraid McCain will win.
    🙁

June 3, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Larry

Congratulations to Senator Barack Obama for becoming the first biracial democratic nominee for the presidency of the united states.
    God bless America.

June 3, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Jolene

Hillary mentioned 18 million voters came out to vote for her but I believe there were just as many that voted for Obama. It is exciting how many people have been energized during this primary season.

June 3, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Yes, we are all Americans first. Perhaps we could start with accepting that Republicans, Democrats and Independents are all those Americans Obama speaks of. We aren't bugs under each other's feet.

June 3, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  41. Doug S

The people did not decide a nominee, a bunch of party insiders decided, which is what is destroying the democratic party. I am a lifelong democrat but am now wishing that there was a third party to chose from. Obama and his supporters are arrogant and obnoxious. That is why a large chunk of Hillary supporters are going to have a hard time lining up behind Obama. I have always respected and trusted John McCain and this is why my vote will be for him.

June 3, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  42. EJ (USA)

Signed, sealed, delivered! You did it Barack Obama! Yes we can!

June 3, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  43. Dawn

I hope Hillary does not accept the VP nomination and then McCain will win and she can run in 2012 – GO Hillary.

June 3, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  44. anne,nfld canada

Congratulations to Barack Obama.

Anderson:

Happy Birthday!!!

June 3, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  45. Annette in NJ

As a Clinton supporter who wants to see unity in the Democratic party, I congratulate Barack Obama on tonight's historic win. He will have my vote come November!

p.s. - Happy Birthday, Anderson Cooper! Hope you had a great day!

June 3, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  46. Becca

Obama has really tapped into the American people's need for change. I think he is going to have a tough run against McCain, but how exciting is this??

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDERSON

June 3, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  47. Jana, Indiana

I am glad these primaries are over. Now let the REAL mudslinging start.

June 3, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  48. EJ (USA)

United we stand!

Congratulations Senator Obama!

June 3, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  49. jennifer

This is crazy!! Obama will not win the peoples vote!! Hillary has experience, plans, and will not get overwhelmed like Obama will. He is much weaker than her. I would would rather have McCain.

June 3, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  50. xtina, chicago

Reply to Nat- don't try to say people are racist if they oppose Obama; ever think someone won't vote for him for other reasons such as his capital gains tax policy or his lack of support and respect for the military and the flag or his socialist plan to tax productive Americans at a higher rate?...

June 3, 2008 at 10:35 pm |