June 3rd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/3/08

Anderson Cooper is in the CNN Election Center tonight with the Best Political Team on Television.

The polls in South Dakota and Montana will be closed by 10p ET. Will Sen. Barack Obama be able to secure the Democratic nomination tonight? We'll hear from Sen. Obama and Sen. Clinton.

We've been seeing Obama looking more and more toward a likely general election matchup with John McCain, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee. How will that race shape up?

CNN Senior political analyst Bill Schneider will once again join the 360° live blog to answer some of your questions. Please be nice to him.

Be sure to check out our live web camera from the Election Center. The shot features a behind the scenes look at the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET. Take a look at a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not.
LINK TO COMMENTS POST

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Dawn

Right – we are Americans first – perhaps he should speak first to his wife as she hasn't been proud to be an American until just recently when her black husband got himself into the political arena in a most questionable way.

June 3, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  2. David Robinson

As a Hillary supporter I am happy she is not deciding tonight. I believe it would be an unstoppable force if they combined a ticket with Obama Clinton for 2008.

Should we wait for Denver? Of course not, but she should still fight for VP, after this race, she deserves it.

June 3, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Maureen T

Congratulations Barack Obama! He has made history and I'm so proud I got to witness this! I hope he goes all the way to the White House!!! Kudos to HIlary Clinton as well!! She may not be the nominee but what a race it was!...Enough of the politics for a bit though...HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDERSON!!!! AND MANY MORE!!! I hope you had an opportunity to celebrate your birthday! And if you hadn't celebrated yet, here's to you Andy!! xo 🙂

June 3, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Jolene

After Hillary's speech tonight and the fact that she did not acknowledge Obama's nomination, I'd be surprised if Obama consideres her for VP now.

June 3, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  5. Connie from Ohio

Hey, that was a good comment from Senator Obama "we are all Americans first".

June 3, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  6. Rose from Southern Calif

I am a Hillary supporter but let be realistic...Hillary don't have the delegates that she needs to win. Lets not be sore losers if we don't vote democratic in Nov McCain will surely win and we will have another 4 years of the Republican party's policy's.

June 3, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  7. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Janet~ The popular vote does not seem to matter. I was a delegate for my county in TX for Hillary and let me tell you, Obama's team was well organized for the delegates, Hillary's was not!
    It was not fair, and we had to protest but all the same Hillary did not play the delegates. VERY UNFORTUNATE!

June 3, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Jeremy

Obama/Clinton '08

sounds good to me!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  9. Craig

It would be political suicide for the Democratic Party if Hillary Clinton was added to the Obama ticket. In her final speech, she said, "I will do whatever it takes to win the nomination. She meant win the nomination for her. Do you really think that after she lost the prize of Democratic nominee that she would work this hard to channel 18 million of her voters to Barack. NEVER. I can guarentee that alot of Democrates will which to McCain. Then you have the Bill factor. Notice if in their enterance to the podium, Bill was on center stage. If she is offer the VP spot, she will try to, if not Bill run the show. Who died and many them the annoited one. She is too dilusional, and divisive to be a true leader. She is in it for her for the title. She would love to be VP simply to manipulate a way for Barack to leave(impeachment or other) so she will be the PRESIDIENT. This will be another Martin Luther King story in the making that never was fullfilled. I pray that American is not this naive!

June 3, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  10. Natalie

I believe she can still make a good VP. I hope people can get past color and biases and look at the economy and vote party line. If they can't do that the democratic party doesn't need them.

Happy Birthday Anderson

June 3, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  11. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I am so happy Obama clinched the nomination......Lots of love for Obama up in Canada.

Happy Birthday Anderson. Your b~day is even more historic now 🙂

June 3, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Jacqueline

Clinton’s leadership, ethics, strength and intellect far outshine Obama—-she absolutely should NOT concede. Hillary should challenge thisat the democratic convention on the basis of obama’s extemely poor electibility prospects. This is certainly evidenced by his ridiculously poor showing in almost ALL of the recent primaries. This is evidenced by his continuous poor judgement in associating with and defending racists at his church. furthermore, the democratic party’s decision to unfairly distribute Florida & Michigan’s votes were stacked against her. Frankly, Obama just is not ready for this level of leadership which makes him very dangerous. She, on the other hand, is a force to be reckoned with and has potential to be one of our greatest leaders.

June 3, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  13. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Jo Ann, I agree with you. Voting for the best candidate regardless of party would be the way to go. However, most people are in a patisan cubicle that they refuse to break. And that's sad.

June 3, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Illana Halperin

Unbelievable! I now believe in a place called Hillaryland, where reality is suspended and self-interest rules over the greater good.

June 3, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  15. colette

Defiance, no grace was Hillary's speech tonight. I was disappointed she did not start the unification of the party. How sad to see her ego still in first place. Please no Hillary for VP.

June 3, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  16. Amina TN

yeah!!! i am super excited. now thats a change we can believe in
    i am very very happy for senator obama

by the way happy birthday anderson
    hope its a good one.

June 3, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  17. Lori in MI

Congratulations to Barack Obama! He is the right choice for the Democratic nominee. I hope all Democrats will realize this after listening to both speeches. Hers was divisive and disrespectful towards Obama. His was uplifting and complimentary towards Clinton. She is despicable!

June 3, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  18. paula

it's not a question of hillary or barack now, it's standing behind your party and standing strong. if hillary would have won, obama supporters would vote for her in november.

June 3, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  19. John C

Congratulations Barack and Michelle Obama! Now its on to November.

June 3, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  20. Claire

Don't speak for us all, Jason. I'm a Hillary supporter but I am happy to vote for and support Obama. I know many other that will too. 🙂

June 3, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  21. deborah,OH

I really don't think Hillary will run as an independent. I don't think that would accomplish anything. & Happy Birthday, Anderson! Hope you had a good day, & many more.

June 3, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Don

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA! Congrats to you and your team of devoted individuals around you.

Hillary, please do whats right for the democratic party and support Barack and the issues you both hold dear.

Anderson, Happy Birthday and thanks for always delivering great and objective news stories and challenging our public figures.

June 3, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  23. janet

If the popular vote and delegate count were switched I would say the same thing and want Hillary, because she is the candidate with the most experience and best judgement for our country.

June 3, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Michael Parrish

Another option is for Hillary to bolt the party and get Mccain to take her as VP. Obama would have no chance.

June 3, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I am so sad that AGAIN another candidate has lost even though the popular vote is in HER favor. UGH!

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ANDERSON MY FAVORITE NEWS ANCHOR!"

June 3, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  26. Taran

Well, first of all I would like to wish Anderson a very happy birthday!!! I hope you day went great!!

I feel honored to be born in this generation and witness such history!!! Congratulations to him!!! Now all the eyes will be on November and hopefully Clinton will help Obama get those voters he could not get and lead the party to victory!!!

June 3, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Teresa Graham (TAG)

Happy B-Day Anderson!!!

Congratulation Sen Barack Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is bittersweet because she didn't concede. I believe it is Sen Clinton's obligation to help Sen Obama get nominated in November. And she will do her part. I do not believe it is necessary for her to be VP or even in his cabinet to help him win the presidency. It will simply take a little time to let voter's wounds to heal. GO DEM GO!!!!

June 3, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  28. sandy

Hillary's speech was great. She and her staff should be very proud of all they accomplished. The pundits on this show should check their emotion before they go on air- their outrage toward Hillary is undeserved and inappropriate. Obama doesn't have a mandate, he wins, but not by much. Hillary's supporters do matter in this race.

June 3, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Terrell Pulliam

Okay I think we have to be bold and consider the possibility that HC tonite may have launched her campaign as an independent candiate for the fall presidential election. It looks and feels that that may be afoot and since nothing else this season has gone per usual I think we should at least entertain the possibility that she may be thinking this. She appears too determined to be anyone's second fiddle and she certainly appears emboldened and deferential to no one. At least from my vantage point that's what I see after hearing her speech tonite in NYC.

June 3, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  30. Rose from Southern Calif

Good speech Obama...lets not put Hillary down thats good he is not.
    McCain better be ready when the democratic's get their stuff together there no stopping us now.

June 3, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Ashley, TN

It's exciting to see history being made. I can't say I'm an Obama supporter, but it is still exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing what America will have to say when November rolls around.

Happy Birthday Anderson. I hope you had one filled with many blessings.

June 3, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Tyler

Barack Hussein Obama has brainwashed millions of people into thinking he is right. Everything he's said has had NO substance. His empty promise of "change" will only go so far. He will never unite the country, especially with his hate of Bush, McCain, and republicans. The only reason he has only gotten this far is because he's black, considering 90% of black voters vote for him. Any person who likes Obama either can't see through his empty politics, or is racist.

June 3, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  33. Chad, Michigan

Go, Obama! Let's united as a party!

Hillary supporters, don't forget Hillary and Obama share more than 90% of similarity in their polices, and if you support Hillary's policies, then you should choose Obama over McCain, because it is an election about you and your family, not about any other ones.

June 3, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, Ohio

Lorie Ann; I wish people would start voting for who is qualified regardless of party affiliation.

June 3, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  35. jason from Florida

This is not over yet for Mrs. Clinton. Now is the turning point. Obama supporters give your best to get our attention. But it is too late, we will never vote for your candidate.

June 3, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Shelly

Hillary Clinton's speech this evening was superb, making me proud to have supported her. she was gracious and inspiring this evening–and supportive of Obama. Like her,I will also be an enthusiastic voter for Obama in November. It's a shame that several CNN commentators so relish trashing Hillary Clinton and refuse to give her her due– Yet again, the pack mentality characterizes the media. What a pity for all of us.

June 3, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  37. jon ct.

After just listening to clinton speechand then the comments of the quest. I would like to ask them .What if obama had the popular vote and clinton had thedelegate count due to superdelegates. What would is supporters be saying!

June 3, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Mark Wright

Your pundits are wrong about Clinton's speech. She was not "defiant"; she began by congratulating Obama. It stopped just short of being a concession speech. You have to hear it in stark contrast to all her other recent speeches. She never once, as she has in every speech until now, said anything about going all the way. She made it clear that she has backed off of "full speed ahead" and will be considering her options. Of course she couldn't go any farther than that tonight surrounded by her anxious, adoring supporters. But she was definitely laying the groundwork for a major change in direction.

June 3, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Jane, Los Angeles

I'm watching now, and Obama's speech is wonderful. Gracious in the deepest sense of the word: filled with grace.

And Happy Birthday, Anderson!

June 3, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Lynn

I am so confused by CNN and all the pundits! I thought that the super delegates votes can not be cast until the conventions?? Teh last 2 primaries have not even been tallied yet and you have already given the nomination to Obama. Tehnically the magic number really been obtained yet! I really have gotten fed up with the 24 hour news tring to lead the voters around by the nose by giving us "presumvtive" decisions! God help us if some more negative skelatons come out of Obama"s closet and all of our super delagates now have no way to turn because they have promised their votes way before they should have! This entire system needs to be revamped and I think H.R. 1523 and S.2024 need to be pulled out of the drawer and dusted off and voted into place before the next presidential primary ever occurs!! Look into that bill and let's write our reprsentitives to put into LAW!

June 3, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, Ohio

Diane; It would be pointless for her to run as an Independent. Many of her supporters will end up voting for John McCain.

June 3, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Mandy from Vancouver, Canada

Congrats to Obama. The democrats are in good hands. I agree with some of the comments made here, but lets not forget that Hillary has fought hard not just for herself, but for her party and her causes. I'm glad Obama comments on this.

Happy Birthday Anderson! Hope its a good one.

June 3, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson. Well we have a nominee for the Democratic party. Time for us all to begin to heal the party and turn a bead on McCain now to beat the Republicans in November. Hope you have lots of good blogs tonight.

June 3, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Rick Martin, professional

WHEW – what a primary – congrats to both remaining candidates – and the process worked. Obama for President

June 3, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  45. kris

Wow! Obama just gave a shout out to Clinton. That's more we can say for her. Again – – Obama takes the igh road. Ugh. I am so bugged by Clinton's ego.

June 3, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Rachel D. from Ottawa, ON, Canada

I never thought I would live to see this day. I am so proud of the USA. After the darkness of GWB, here comes the light!

June 3, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Tracey - Boston

Hi Bill Schneider:

How are you? I hope you are well.

What is the function of the Convention? Isn’t it to determined the final voting process of which candidate will go on to November?

Thank you very much.

June 3, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Joseph- Phoenix,AZ

First off I would like to say GOD BLESS AMERICA, and secondly CONGRATS to Obama and all of the supporters. It's a great day to be an american!

June 3, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Vanessa

Tonight I am proud to be an american thank you Obama. I also am deeply sadden by Hillary Clinton, after tonight I would not vote for Hillary if she was the last person on earth. Oh by the way I am a woman who see's change in Obama.

June 3, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Hannah Storm

I have waited 16 months to hear those words come out of Obama's mouth and nothing Clinton said today can take this away from all the believe who believe in Obama

June 3, 2008 at 10:16 pm |