June 3rd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/3/08

Anderson Cooper is in the CNN Election Center tonight with the Best Political Team on Television.

The polls in South Dakota and Montana will be closed by 10p ET. Will Sen. Barack Obama be able to secure the Democratic nomination tonight? We'll hear from Sen. Obama and Sen. Clinton.

We've been seeing Obama looking more and more toward a likely general election matchup with John McCain, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee. How will that race shape up?

CNN Senior political analyst Bill Schneider will once again join the 360° live blog to answer some of your questions. Please be nice to him.

Be sure to check out our live web camera from the Election Center. The shot features a behind the scenes look at the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET. Take a look at a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not.
LINK TO COMMENTS POST

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sam

I thought Hillary's speech was ok. It wasnt what I accepted and she should have conceded she is going have to do it some time. John McCains speech put me to sleep. I am very proud of Barack Obama and as I am sitting here in this moment in history I am proud of America. I think the Democrats have a great chance this fall.

June 3, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Alicia Weaver

Congrats Barack Obama! You represent America! I am so proud you. dispite all of the hardships thrown your way, you have have made history, and I know you will be the one to unite this country black, white, latino, native american, african, asian, german, british and many more!!! You deserve this and you are what America is, the MELTING BEAUTIFUL POT!!!!

P.S. Happy B-Day Anderson!

June 3, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Scott Cassel

I cannot believe how arrogant Mrs. Clinton is. She acted as though she was the nominee, it was disgraceful.

I hope Sen. Obama does NOT select her.

June 3, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  4. xtina, chicago

It will be cool to hear Obama and McCain debate. They are almost complete opposites except for both being in favor of illegal alien amnesty and both believing in man-made climate change

June 3, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  5. Rose from Southern Calif

Obama is a good man and I think he would make a good Prez. Lets give this man a change like we give Mr. Bush, ...I am a Democratic lets unite beat McCain in Nov.

June 3, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  6. RJ

Obama, the man who will be the greatest president since FDR!

June 3, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  7. Stacy

@Connie–She did kind of steal his thunder a little bit, didn't she? Of course I suppose in broader terms she could make the same argument against him.

June 3, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Mireille Dupuis

I would like to congratulate Barack Obama by winning the nomination
    to the Presidency for the democratic party. History has been made. May I suggest another comment is why not have a woman as vice-president that would also make history.

Anderson: Happy B-day and best wishes. Health and whatever
    you wish for the upcoming year.

June 3, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Cathy Myers

I'm so proud of Hillary for sticking with it through all the adversity & fighting to the bitter end.

June 3, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Ava Pucci

Michelle Obama Looks great! This should be an awesome speech!!!

June 3, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  11. Connie from Ohio

listen to all the people screaming! This is great!

June 3, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  12. Diane

With all the votes Senator Clinton has won, why can't she run as an Independent?

June 3, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  13. Janice Bad Bear

It's so exciting that Obama has prevailed. I am member of the Crow
    Nation from Montana, and this OBAMA country! When the polls closed
    a few minutes ago, people here are already celebrating. Way to go
    Obama!

June 3, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  14. Hannah Storm

Barack and Michelle Obama are so cute......they are so in love and I love them

June 3, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  15. J. Ted

It is unfortunate the Hillary Clinton 'appears to be" using her supporters as barganing chips. Very unfortunate. I was fond of Mrs. Clinton, but this tactic is the straw that has broken THIS camels back.

Disrespect for her supportors, disrespect for her competitor, disrespect for teh process and thus the Nation.

June 3, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  16. jason from ohio

hillary clinton once again shows her leadership skills by winning in south dakota after all polls showed her not winning. i have never voted in my lifetime for a republican by i will not support obama if he chooses anyone else other than hillary. go hillary go!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  17. Andrew

Fight on Hillary. Let's take this to Denver. You are the best shot to beating McCain.

June 3, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  18. beth

Happy Birthday Anderson

Isn't it a historic day for you? On your birthday an African/American is nominated for a president?
    I think it's a great day!!!!
    As to this campaign: Let the games begin!! Bring us McCain to win over next!!

June 3, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  19. Nirak

I couldn't agree with Gergen more.

June 3, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Katie

Congratulations to Barack Obama! It was a long and hard road but tonight history was made yet again in this primary. Hopefully Hilary will bow out gracefully and hopefully Obama will chose as his VP the person that will best insure a democrat in the White House on January 20, 2009.

June 3, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  21. jen rose

Hey Anderson, I want to wish you a "Happy Birthday"... hope you enjoyed your day. 🙂

The primaries are getting interesting.

June 3, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Patrick

If Hillary Clinton is sincere about doing everything she can to support the Democratic nominee, tonight was the perfect opportunity to demonstrate her sincerity. By not conceding tonight and instead highlighting her accomplishments over the campaign she has indicated that her willingness to support Barack depends on what she's offered by his campaign...very, very distasteful.

June 3, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  23. Paolo

Congratulations to Barack Obama for becoming the Democratic nominee this year and also for being the first African-American nominee of either major party!

With that said, this is just the beginning of what is expected to be a more passionate campaign especially that he will be pitted against a veteran. Without question, he has his work cut-out for him with John McCain.

June 3, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  24. araseli

Happy Birthday Anderson!!

This has been a crazy rollercoaster ride. But now its time to look at the upcoming november election with obama, and mccain.

June 3, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Connie from Ohio

This is suppose to be Obama's night and of course Hillary is taking it away from him....let's hear from Obama!

June 3, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Bill

Why wouldnt Senator Clinton accept defeat or even congratulate Senator Obama? Why did she choose not to make a choice tonight, what is she waiting on? Wouldn't have a simple congratulations have been appropriate or mature to say the least?

June 3, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Josh from South Carolina

Now that the primary season is over its time for the Democrats to focus their attention on the McBush and show everyone how bad he is for the country. He doesnt understand the enconomy, healthcare or anything the american people want. Its time that McBush learns that Iraq isnt the only important issue in this election.

June 3, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I don't think it hurts the country, if Hillary didn't concede tonight. It will probably come sooner or later. She's got to do this on her own terms. She'll probably do what's best for the party soon enough.

June 3, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Sean from New Mexico

Happy birthday, Anderson!

So why did Hillary's crowd think that going to Denver would change the outcome of the race?

June 3, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Elle

On to Denver this shall go.So proud of the compassion and spirit of the most qualified candidate out there.
    Did not appreciate David Gergen with his " defiant speech remark" about Hillary.
    Here is a wonderful women.Extend respect and courtesy ,especially when it is overdue .

June 3, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  31. How can this happen?

Superdelegates decided in the smoked-filled rooms anyway! She has won almost everything since March.... how do they decide to "unite" behind Obama when it's this close? It seemed like no amount of realistic argument could sway the supers...

This "unity" movement reminds me of when everyone got talked into going to war with Iraq.... except then the talk was about "safety".

I think democrats don't know how to win. Obama will lose to McCain and Hillary will win in 2012...

June 3, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Connie from Ohio

Obama won and Hillary said she would concede when he reached the winning amount of delegates. And of course she is changing her mind again or the rules should I say.

June 3, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Thomas Tobbe

It's been a long and well-fought primary season with two extraordinary campaigns. I think the people have made their choice and are looking forward to an interesting general election. The democratic party has some work to do, but I think everything will work out for them in November. The focus is now on the Republicans who have far much more on their hands than the Democrats.

June 3, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Hannah Storm

Honestly Clinton is infuriating......could have been gracious like Huckabee. Obama should NOT offer Clinton VP

June 3, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Stacy

Oh, I really, really hope she doesn't fight until Denver. As Jeff Toobin just said, "It's over!"

June 3, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Zara

Happy Birthday 🙂

Hillary Clinton should drop out like right at this moment and this is coming from me (a serious clinton supporter)

June 3, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Isabel

As a former Hillary supporter and current Obama supporter, I'm incredibly disappointed by her speech in NYC tonight. She clearly has no interest in party unity nor anyone's interests but her own (and getting more money to pay off her debt). She is not the candidate I once admired.

June 3, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Connie from Ohio

I am so happy that this is coming to an end...and we can get on with the real campaign against McCain.

June 3, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Paul

I think it's a pretty sad state of affairs when the person who gets the majority of the popular vote isn't the parties choice for president. This once again proves your vote really doesn't count, especially when Superdelegates and other politicians decide the canidates fate.

Take a look at Michigan and Florida...If it's a true democratic state and country then why penalize any state or any person for their votes..Great message sent here that your vote doesn't count since you don't hold your primary when we want you to!!

June 3, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Rose from Southern Calif

Hi Anderson...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Much going on tonight, Hillary won South Dakota.

June 3, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Michelle Kalicki

Hillary needs to just concede already. She's honestly going to hurt the party more than help it. I understand she's a fighter but the game is over and she lost. She needs to let go of her ego and think about what's best for the Democratic Party in November and the country as a whole in the years to come.

June 3, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Mrs Davis

How disappointing of Hillary...she is so concerned with her position that she will not give Obama the respect he deserves. She is persistant at putting herself ahead of the Democratic party. She is selfish even after Obama has praised her in several interview and speeches.

I am overly excited to call Barack Obama my Democratic nominee!

June 3, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Annette Golombeski

What is the since of having an election if the super delegates pick who they want in the end. If the people of the U.S. have an election , then it should be the popular vote that says who the people want to run their country. This is why the country is in the state that it is in.

June 3, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Connie from Ohio

Hello Anderson and fellow bloggers!

June 3, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Harry C

Finally Barack Obama has gotten his dues. Too bad that Clinton's EGO drove her to run such Devisive campaign.. God help this nation if her antics prevents Obama from becoming the next President of the United States. GO OBAMA! CONGRATULATIONS!

June 3, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  46. nancy glaser

Hillary is crafty and conniving. She is obviously holding Barack hostage by not pulling out of the race. She is lobbying for the VP job and if he doesn't give it to her, she will stay in the race until August and pull votes away from him by her non-support of his presidency. She drove home the message that she had 18 million votes and she will try to sway these voters whichever way suits her politically.

June 3, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Ari Ruiz

I am sadden that Hillary Clinton did not win the Democratic Nomination. I understand that the voters have spoken and I will now support the Obama Campaign. I, we cannot afford the 3rd Bush-McCain term.

Thank you, Hillary.

Ari Ruiz
    Obama 08'

June 3, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Mike, NY

What we saw tonight was Hillary Clinton continue her campaign, with a slight change. Now she is campaigning to Obama for the job of Vice President.

June 3, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Carl P

Way to go OBAMA, we the people are proud of you

June 3, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Hannah Storm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDERSON!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so proud of America tonight....history was made. Alot has changed in my lifetime and Anderson's as well

June 3, 2008 at 10:00 pm |