June 2nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/2/08

After six months and 61 contests, the Democratic primary season ends tomorrow with contests in Montana and South Dakota but will there be a nominee?   Barack Obama is just 42 delegates shy of the 2,118 now needed to clinch the nomination. There are not enough pledged delegates at stake tomorrow to put Obama over the top, but don’t forget about the superdelegates.

And Bill Clinton is fighting back against the man who wrote an article about him in Vanity Fair.  He called the reporter sleazy and charged he didn't use a single name or cite a single source for the accusations he makes in the article.   But Clinton didn't just target the author, he also went after Barack Obama, calling it “...another way of helping Obama. They had all these people standing up in this church cheering, calling Hillary a white racist, and he didn't do anything about it.”  We’ll talk about that and the fact that Sen. Obama has resigned from that church with the best political team on television.

Be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Cindy

I loved Bo Diddley! I was so sad to hear that he had passed away! He was a great musician. The best of the best wanted to be him and copied his style and sound.

June 2, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Carol, FL

I'd vote for Hillary as an Independent, but I won't vote for Obama. If Hillary is out, I'm voting for McCain. The DNC divided the party not united it.

June 2, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Cynthia

Lesli, that is your perogative as a Clinton supporter to vote for whom ever you would like. As a Democrat, if Senator Clinton were to win the nomination I would have voted for her without hesitation.

June 2, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Chuck in Alabama

Ron in Texas, I too think she'd win if she ran independent, but, she'd have to make one heck of a VP choice.

June 2, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  5. Julliet

Bill's ranting was what cost Hillary presidential prospects in the first place.

June 2, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  6. ericacnn

maureen t, mixing religion and politics can definitely make for some wild discussions...

June 2, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Linda

I think the media needs to get over the Obama church thing. What's important to Americans is our safety and the economy. Just give it a rest.

June 2, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Kim

What about if Hillary Clinton gets a cabinet position rather than becoming VP? I think this would be much more fitting for her with her awesome grasp for policy and her passion for health care.

Would all of her supporters here on the blog still vote for John McCain or stay home in Novermber?

June 2, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  9. Minou, New York City

I agree Maureen T.
    The margin by which Obama will probably win, is way too slim to say he won "fair and square" and she should just vanish . Too many people want her.

June 2, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Eleanor

I do not agree with Bay buchanan...I have went to the same church for 30 years BUT I do not live by my pastors sermons !
    I live by my own morals and views on life....period!!!

June 2, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  11. DeniseGA

@ Lesli, your reason for voting for Obama, SHOULD be his policies.
    That is what I mean, holding your vote hostage, because Clinton lost!
    These statements, are not helping her get the VP slot!

June 2, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Steve from California

Bay Buchanan is an exceptionally bright woman. I wish CNN would use her more. I enjoy her insights, as well as those of her brother over on that other network.

June 2, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  13. jan-Alabama

Hillary won't run Independent..

A President needs the House and Senate to get their policies passed. As an Ind., she would have no one supporting her on anything.. politics!!!!

June 2, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  14. Nikki,Illinois

I really hope that when Obama is in St Paul he can give a victory speech, He deserves it because though Clinton has run a great campaign, this is gonna go down in history and he deserves some of that credit.

June 2, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Maureen T

Too bad religion and politics are entwined...

June 2, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Ron In Texas.

I also wish Hillary would run as an independent. Whoooo, wouldn't that upset the DNC and the super delegates. GO Hillary, run as a independent, and you will win.

June 2, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Tracey - Boston

Hillary running as an independent will only push McCain into the White House

June 2, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Billi

Robert Zimmerman is 100% right. Too little, too late. I think there is something more coming from the church and Obama is hoping this will distance him.

June 2, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Cynthia

Call it what you will or may political or non-political. There should have been a separation of church and state and this should have never been brought up.

June 2, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Barbara

President Clinton does more to dishonor his wife than Senator Obama or any journalist ever could.

June 2, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  21. deborah,OH

And I am still not sold on Obama OR McCain, esp. McCain. Just dont hear any REAL plans to solve anything vital to me, as a citizen. Kind of sad.

June 2, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Shirley, NC

I support Obamba, and if Hillary win I will support her. It will be stupid for anyone who calls him or herself a democrat to vote for McCain or not vote at all simply because the one they want doesn't win. We need to unite and throw the republicans out of the congress and senate, and bring the power back to We the People.

June 2, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Kim

I really thought Obama's reaction to the questions about leaving his church was heartfelt, honest and very personal. I'd love to stop seeing videos of ranting pastors now...

June 2, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Saera El Paso, TX

good point Pete...
    but i think it's funny 🙂

June 2, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Becky Finley

I believe that Obama should not have received ANY of the delegates or Super delegates, in Mich. because he chose to have his name removed from the ballot.

June 2, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  26. Kayle

OMG looking at Hillary standing there silently next to her husband as he tries to talk himself out of a hole literally brings me back to 1998. She had the exact same look of a shattered career in her face.

June 2, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Cynthia

I understand that the Hilliary Clinton supporters are hurt & angry about her not winning the nomination but if Senator Obama had lost I know that he would have gotten out gracefully and campaigned as hard as he could to help her get elected.

June 2, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar

Lance Riley,
    I agree with you too........ thanks!!!!!! right on!

June 2, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  29. Stacy

@Lance–So you'd rather give the country over to McCain (Bush 2.0) if Hillary isn't on the ticket? That makes no sense to me.

June 2, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, Ohio

Lance; That is why Obama is kissing up to Clinton now. I, for one, am not falling for it.

June 2, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  31. Maureen T

At the end of the day I still strongly believe that the best dream ticket is Obama and Clinton!

June 2, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  32. Jim

The dream ticket is a Republican dream and a Democratic nightmare. That will allow the Republicans to run against Bill and Hillary with so much more baggage than Obama. Let Obama pick his own VP.

June 2, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  33. Sara.Ro

The "FDLS kids" will vote in future ,I supose...or not? Where from should they learn the democracy lesson ? Would they have such a model inside the family?

June 2, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  34. CaseyJPS - California

Obama quit his church. End of story (at least that chapter). Bill Clinton making an issue of it is more hot air. It's a moot point.

June 2, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  35. Becky Finley

I would like to know what happened to the "one person" "one vote" deal? We all know that individual votes don't count. We as a nation have to rely on Delagates and now SUPER Delagates. THIS IS JUST WRONG!!!!

June 2, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Christina, Windber, PA

Obama has never went off in an angry rant because no one criticizes him. He has gotten virtually a free ride this entire election. The media has supported him completely. Why else would an article like this come out now?

June 2, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Chuck in Alabama

Lance, you are correct. The Blue collar will move to McCain.

June 2, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  38. CaseyJPS - California

An Obama/Clinton ticket would squash McCain (aka McBush).

June 2, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Dave

Michaela, I agree. It is my belief that we need as many Democratic Senators as possible to make sure that they can get the legislation through that they are proposing.

June 2, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Lesli

I disagree with the panel – they are still bashing the Clinton baggage, etc.

June 2, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar

I am agree with Hillary Clinton's support, they are right to angry at DNC committees..... that is not fair to Clinton's vote keep away from delegates.....

June 2, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Charles

maybe the correct term should be "kids from polygamous families"....

June 2, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  43. jan-Alabama

I emailed Donna Brazile and got this insulting remark

Donna Brazile wrote:

Lord, please stop the haters and their pretense of being for Hillary.

Hillary Clinton is a fighter for justice. Not a divider.

June 2, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Derrick, WA

I have to disagree with Minou.

Yes there are supporters for Clinton. But even they realize as passionate as they are for her. Her fight is a lost cause. So she does need to just step down already and call it quits. Obama won it fair and square, period. End of story.

June 2, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Minou, New York City

Thanks for bringing Tanya Acker back! She's great and too rarely on CNN's shows.

June 2, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  46. DeniseGA

Hillary lost fair and square! She didn't compete in all the states, assumed and stated on camera, that the primaries would be over Feb. 5th. It's her own fault. As a women, I did not see the sexism she is claming! But I saw her campaign go negative, when she lost the lead!

June 2, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Rose, California

It is hard NOT to notice, how unfairly Hillary has been treated, from every angle! Everyone has jumped on the band wagon, it just crazy!

June 2, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Lesli

Cynthia,

Yes I agree that Obama should be able to choose the VP he wants and he is welcome to do this, but nothing says that Clinton's supports will be on line with voting for Obama unless they are given a reason to – light putting her in the VP seat.

June 2, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  49. Pamela Alexander

Obama can't control what other people say, just as well as Hillary can't control what Bill says so stop the madness and discuss something worth talking about.

June 2, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  50. James King

Bill is subconsciously sabotaging Hillary's campaign

June 2, 2008 at 10:28 pm |