June 2nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/2/08

After six months and 61 contests, the Democratic primary season ends tomorrow with contests in Montana and South Dakota but will there be a nominee?   Barack Obama is just 42 delegates shy of the 2,118 now needed to clinch the nomination. There are not enough pledged delegates at stake tomorrow to put Obama over the top, but don’t forget about the superdelegates.

And Bill Clinton is fighting back against the man who wrote an article about him in Vanity Fair.  He called the reporter sleazy and charged he didn't use a single name or cite a single source for the accusations he makes in the article.   But Clinton didn't just target the author, he also went after Barack Obama, calling it “...another way of helping Obama. They had all these people standing up in this church cheering, calling Hillary a white racist, and he didn't do anything about it.”  We’ll talk about that and the fact that Sen. Obama has resigned from that church with the best political team on television.

Be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. deborah,OH

I am with JoAnn. There seems to be a lot of 'support' for Hillary on the blog tonight–coming from the guys! It is really a respectable thing to do.

ps. Although it's about 1 1/2 hrs. early –Happy Birthday, Anderson.

June 2, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, Ohio

Denise in Ga; We can agree to disagree. A temper does not always manifest itself in a rant.

June 2, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Barry

Anderson,

Can Sen. Obama win without the Clinton supporters? If he needs them, which I believe he does, can he win enough of them over to help him win? I am quite sure not all or them will support him and I think in the end they will be the ones that decide who wins Nov. 4. There may be 3 parties in Nov. Obama and McCain and then those that support Sen. Clinton.

June 2, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Jim, MD

Or, if Barack loses the general election for that matter... which I suppose is... a possibility.

June 2, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Tara, Sarasota

I would LOVE it if Hillary would run as an Independent.....

I'd support her...

I don't like Obama or McCain.

June 2, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Kim - Florida

Running as an independant is a GREAT idea

June 2, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Bet

Bill Clinton is absolutely right. The article is unfairly negative and nothing is being said about the work he is doing for the poor of the world. It's sad what happened to these hard-working public servants.
    And Rev. Pflager speaks for Obama, they don't fool us. They will try anything to knock Hillary Clinton.
    We're voting for McCain, at least we know about him.

June 2, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  8. Pete Pandit

Why does everyone at CNN mispronounce the location of the YFZ Ranch? It is pronounced El Do rah do, not El Do ray do!!!! Just like the Cadillac.

June 2, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Chris from Arizona

After reading Carolyn Jessop's book Escape, I have come to the conclusion that sending these children back to the FLDS compound is a BIG MISTAKE.

June 2, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  10. Chuck in Alabama

After all the talk about change, the discussion now moves to which "old school" powerbrokers in Washington Obama needs to rub shoulders with should he win the nomination.

June 2, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  11. Charles

I am an Obama supporter, but Hillary (particularly the second half–she changed her team-ran a good hard race and fought well) is a good politician and has worked hard. She deserves credit for that.

June 2, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  12. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Mick, had to burst your bubble but Jonh Edwards is not going to bring the votes in November. Hillary has proven that she can get some needed votes against McCain. Sorry, I knd of like Edwards also.

June 2, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar

I am glad that Barack and Michelle Obama resign from old church..... I heard that Father Plefger already apology to people and including Obamas....

June 2, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  14. Jacqueline

Goodnight all! Gotta catch zees.

June 2, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  15. Debra S

I feel that if Obama does not choose Hillary as VP; he better choose a man. If Obama does choose another woman as VP it could be the final nail in the coffin

June 2, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, Ohio

Chuck; The Republicans will all vote for McCain in the Fall; he needs to appeal to the Clinton supporters now.

June 2, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  17. Kim - Florida

Obama's smartest move would be appointing Hilary as his VP because they are so much alike they can work on major "changes" together

June 2, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  18. Hannah Storm

Resigning from a church is a hard thing to do....people do it for many different reason but that does not make it less hard on a family

June 2, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Jacqui Chan

my Mom just said it is not right that they took ALL of the children from the ranch she said it is like nazi Germany

June 2, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  20. DeniseGA

I usually agree with David Gergen, but I totally disagee with this!

Clinton should not be on the ticket! Obama won fair and square, and I don't think he needs her. She will encourage more republicans to vote for McCain!

June 2, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  21. Julliet

Bloggers, do you think Hillary will accept the vp position.

June 2, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Lesli

You're right Felishka,

Anderson, this is about Hillary. Why are we giving so much time to Bill.

June 2, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  23. Minou, New York City

It seems to me, the "big story' is not the article, it's Bill's reaction to it.
    And the way Anderson words things, he makes it sound like Bill Clinton's retort was uncalled for. HE IS THE VICTIM OF A VICIOUS ARTICLE that should have never been printed.

June 2, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Lance Riley

I disagree Obama CANNOT win without Hillary! He is NO match for Mccain. I am one of hundred thousand Hillary supporters who will NOT vote if Hillary is not on the Ticket. Obama needs her!

June 2, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Evening Anderson, Erica, and bloggers. Interesting development about a potential Obama/Clinton ticket. With the race being this close, I mean it is coming down to the wire and neither has closed the deal or locked in the needed delegates early in the process.... Why not an Obama/Clinton ticket???

June 2, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  26. Tracey - Boston

FLDS has to abide by conditions!!! YES! Can't leave Texas...Don't mess with Texas!

June 2, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  27. Courtney, Fl

Bill's passion seems to be more about winning than the American people. if he cared he'd shut up.

June 2, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Charles

Hopefully, the state will get the legal part down, accurately do an investigation and close the place down.................

June 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Jenniferh

The rules were the rules 18 months ago and all the candidates signed off on it. Maybe I should go back and ask some college professors to change their grading system. Lets face it Clintons it is what it is and that is politics.

June 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  30. Stacy

@Kim–The news never stops. There'll always be something. After all, the new administration will have to actually govern, and blogging with ensue.

June 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  31. Kim

Anderson, is "polygamous kids" really a correct term to be used for the FLDS children? It sounds funny, but maybe, if you take into account the underage girls married to old men as a second or third spiritual wife it takes on a sinister irony...

June 2, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Jolene

When these primaries first began (seems like moons ago), Bill was an asset for Hillary in obtaining votes. I don't think he's viewed the same now that we are near the end.

June 2, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  33. Chuck in Alabama

Question is, what dirt is still out there that we don't already know about the Clintons? Even this article was just dragging up old dirt and pointing at "possibilities."

June 2, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  34. Steve from California

I think Hillary would serve better as a U.S. Senator. She could even become a "Super Delegate"– the most powerful slot in the Democratic Party.

June 2, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar

@ Jacqui Chan,
    me too!!! I agree with you! I want Hillary Clinton to win.... but I am support dream team ticket Obama-Clinton......

June 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, Ohio

Why is everyone so eager to hold Bill Clinton's words against Hillary Clinton, but are unwilling to hold Michelle's anti-America statements against Obama?

June 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  37. DeniseGA

@ Jolene,

I agree, I wondered if it was to end this VP talk!

Only Clinton supporters want her on the ticket!

June 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Michaela, San Diego

i think it'd be great to have Hillary... somewhere in the team, VP i'm not so sure though.

June 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Charles

I think the Bill Clinton attack is symptomatic.....it is like the Repub's attack the messenger but not the message.....

June 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Nikki,Illinois

I think Hillary would do well if she could have her health plan. She has been very passionate about that. But I dont think the VP ticket would work because face it, Hillary has too much baggage that doesnt really coincide with Obama.

June 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Minou, New York City

This race is so tight, it's not fair to say Hillary should just leave the stage already. Obviously almost exactly half of all Democrats want Hillary to win the nomination!

June 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  42. Robyn, Ohio

David is right...many Clinton supporters are angry with the press, and rightfully so.

June 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Janna

The Clinton "camp" may have issues with the Obama "camp" and vice-versa, but I honestly believe that the candidates themselves do not hold any grudges and have retained the respect for each other that has been obvious in the early debates. They would be a fantastic team.

June 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  44. its just me

I am a Obama supporter and I feel Bill Clinton had evey right to be upset at the reporter. Bill Clinton is human like all of us and has feelings too. By the same token; BILL dont turn around and accuse Obama for the words of Others

June 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  45. Jamal Shipman

I don't think an Obama/Clinton ticket makes any sense at all. It goes against Obama's message of change and new politics and Hillary is not a 2nd place kind of person. So no...that should not happen.

June 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  46. camen

I usually agree with David Gergen, but the fact is you can't get Hillary without Bill. There would be three people on the ticket

June 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Billi

To say that Obama needs Hillary to win is an understatement. The party refuses to believe that her supporters are NOT automatic Obama supporters.

June 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Cynthia

I think Senator Obama as the nominee should be able to choose who he wants as his running mate.

June 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  49. DeniseGA

@JoAnn,

I disagree! Obama, has never went off on an angry rant! We've never seen him lose his temper!

Bill Clinton seems to often lately!

June 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  50. david

Cooper David Gergen hit it right on the money.

June 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |