June 2nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/2/08

After six months and 61 contests, the Democratic primary season ends tomorrow with contests in Montana and South Dakota but will there be a nominee?   Barack Obama is just 42 delegates shy of the 2,118 now needed to clinch the nomination. There are not enough pledged delegates at stake tomorrow to put Obama over the top, but don’t forget about the superdelegates.

And Bill Clinton is fighting back against the man who wrote an article about him in Vanity Fair.  He called the reporter sleazy and charged he didn't use a single name or cite a single source for the accusations he makes in the article.   But Clinton didn't just target the author, he also went after Barack Obama, calling it “...another way of helping Obama. They had all these people standing up in this church cheering, calling Hillary a white racist, and he didn't do anything about it.”  We’ll talk about that and the fact that Sen. Obama has resigned from that church with the best political team on television.

Be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Pokey from Louisiana

Why doesn't Hillary Clinton make a run as an Independent?

June 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  2. Stacy

@Jo Ann–Take her supporters with her where? All that does is help McCain.

June 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  3. wilfredo

Bill should just take an eight year vacation to Europe or somewhere else

June 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  4. Julliet

Game over I think. Hillary will make her life easier if she pulls for Obama. But if she thinks the Obama people will come flocking to her in 2012 if she doesn't support him is a joke.

June 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  5. Lesli

David G. you're hitting the nail on the head exactly.

June 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  6. Debby

Vanity Fair's article was so tasteless. I don't blame Bill Clinton and what he said. I do think Hillary will be Obama's best choice as VP because he really has weak group to chose from.

June 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  7. Gail Fluellen

June – I agree with you. I use to love Bill Clinton but you know he is showing who he really is. Hillary and Bill are both desperate they really think that she has been robbed. The real issue is that they never thought this guy Obama had even a chance.

June 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  8. EJ (USA)

I think Hillary Clinton should turn her back on the DNC and Obama in the Fall and take her supporters with her.

political suicide

June 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  9. june

I think it would be a bad idea for Obama to pick Clinton as a running mate. You'd never know what Bill would do...running a muck and shooting his mouth off. The entitlement thing that the Clintons feel is a bit much...

June 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  10. Lesli

David, you are right – a lot of women do feel very cheated.

Remember the saying, "Hell hath no fury like a women scorned."

Obama will have to mend a lot of fences with women because of what has happened over the past six months.

June 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  11. Stacy

I don't know about vice president, but I think it would be cool if Clinton was made Secretary of Defense.

June 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  12. Mick

No!!!!!! Hillary should not be on the Obama Ticket..I am really hoping that John Edwards is Obama's running mate..

June 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  13. Al

I'm an Obama supporter...have been since early on. That having been said, I salute Senator Clinton for an honorable campaign. She has run it well, and have not been critical of her anywhere along the way. All Democrats got to cast their ballots, and I applaud her for allowing them to do so.

Senator Clinton has done well, and our country is all the better for it!

June 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  14. Felishka

I think its terrible that while HRC is giving what might be one of her last speechs the reporters are talking about bad boy bill.

June 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, Ohio

I am impressed that so many men are defending Hillary Clinton on the blog tonight, whether or not they are voting for her. I really respect that.

June 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  16. Chuck in Alabama

Whether he selects Hillary as VP or not and whether whe supports Obama for president or not isn't going to change the fact that the Democrats have lost ALOT of votes come November. McCain really doesn't have the support of many of the Republicans also. Now is the time a good Independent candidate could actually steal the vote.

June 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  17. Jay

Bill Clinton was an excellent President as far as policies implimented and laws/regulations created. But his character is slowly outweighing his acclomplishments. He is probably still cheating and sleeping around he needs to take a couple of years off and lay low with his wife and daughter.

June 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  18. Steve Isaac

The Democratic primaries has been an interesting episode in US political History, at this point I think Hillary should honorably accept defeat and work towards the collective objective of the Democratic party – which is getting the white house.

June 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  19. EJ (USA)

It's over Hillary supporters. It – is – over.

If she's on the ticket, I don't mind – but as for the nomination – it is over.

June 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  20. Dee

Hi Anderson,
    I think Hillary needs to just walk out now with a bit of honor.

June 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  21. Nikki,Illinois

Hello Everyone,
    We have to understand that no matter what is said, whether negative or positive, in the end we need to unite with Clinton as well as Obama supporters because no matter what we can't let a republican in the house.

June 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  22. Victoria

Well, Bill's track record isn't exactly stellar. If it had been, this article wouldn't have been such a big story.

June 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  23. Charles

Withdrawal? Need to find a local election to start getting involved in......

June 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  24. Sherri

Hello Anderson and everyone,
    Bill Clinton is a former President and a face of the Democratic Party but he is first Hillary's husband. I respect him for defending her, just as I do Obama for defending Michele.
    I wish he hadn't lost his cool but I understand it.

June 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  25. Maureen T

Good evening Anderson and bloggers! Thisi s all so interesting, nail biting time...

June 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  26. Lesli

Great point Janet – Bill is very passionate about his country, and we need to realize that he would support his wife against anyone.

He may have been unfaithful in the past, but I wish more husbands stood up for their wives the way he has stood up for Hillary.

27. Kim

Do you think, Hillary was aware of the fact that Bill was going to make this comment about him campaigning today for the last time?

28. Charles

As for Hillary on the ticket, I would really like to see that, but if Bill is running around like a loose cannon, who in their minds would want that?

29. Sue

Hillary ran a good race, but now it's time to move past her ego of losing. She is not a loser, but she is interfering with the bigger picture. So, she should be a big person and say, thanks for allowing me to run a good race, but I must say Good -bye.

30. Yvonne

The Democratic Party cannot afford to have the Clintons on the ticket. The GOP machine is programmed to attack Clintons. It has not been programmed to attack Obama. Obama can put Hillary in his cabinet, but she cannot be VP.

31. Troy

I would like to know what the delegate count would be if the democratic party were to use the winner take all system in the primaries, like is used in the general election.

32. Cindy

I think Hillary should draw this thing out for as long as she can.

33. ericacnn

happy monday, bloggers ~ hope everyone had a good wkd

34. CaseyJPS - California

June>
    All of our Washington politicians are closer than you may think. They ALL snuggle up to each other regardless of what side of the aisle they sit on. The Clintons and the Bushes are more than just acquaintances, for example.

35. Charlie

You guys remember to show President Clinton the respect he deserves as a past President of the United States.

Sincerely,
    A Texas Replubican

36. Hannah Storm

David and Gloria are alot of fun to watch on the web cam

37. Jackie

Anderson, please discuss something that no one else has. That at any time ,superdelegates can change their mind back to Senator Clinton even though they are presently under Senator Obama . this is not over yet

38. Andrew, Lafayette IN

I think Hillary will run again in 4 years.. If McCain is president. She's setting things up for it now... I just know it haha

June 2, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  39. Charles

I have to say that Bill is very supportive. He may be trying to hard. And that being said, he still needs to 'cool his jets'.

June 2, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  40. Billi

Secret meetings of uncommitted superdelegates! A secret meeting during the 3 1/2 hour lunch break taken by the Rules Committee! Gosh, sounds like this party is having more and more of these kinds of meetings to make decisions that affect all of us.

June 2, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  41. Celina-San Antonio

Anderson-your opinion, will she quit tomorrow or take it to the convention?

June 2, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Chuck in Alabama

The Rules Committee's actions on Saturday have made the rift in the party even larger than it was before. Two party politics is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

June 2, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  43. andersoncnn

good evening everyone.. im working on a couple of pages of copy right now, so not sure i can blog much.. but will try to join you a bit later

June 2, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  44. Lesli

Zenata

There a difference between commenting on, and getting over. I think she's pretty thick skinned, and can get over it.

Unfortunately many people don't realize sexism until its pointed out to them. They think its okay to talk about women in such ways.

June 2, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, Ohio

June 2, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  46. Becky

I have just one question about the Vanity Fair article. Why would they print it on the eve of the last primaries and during that week when the last undecided superdelegates are making their final decisions?

Whomever you support, it seems like poor journalism to release such an incendiary article during such an important but tumultuous week. The journalist may be good, but the decision to print now falls with the magazine. I, for one, wish Anderson would raise that issue for consideration.

June 2, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  47. Stacy

Bill just seems to make things worse. I wonder how Hillary's campaign would have been different if he cheered silently from the sidelines.

June 2, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar

How dare reporter to damage Clintons!!!! I am disagree with Vanity Fair comment!

June 2, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  49. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

It's been a long election process. I think Hilary should finish out on her own terms, not anyone else's. We'll all know soon enough.

June 2, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  50. Jolene

Is it over? Well, maybe for Bill it is but not necessarily for Hillary.

June 2, 2008 at 10:11 pm |