June 2nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/2/08

After six months and 61 contests, the Democratic primary season ends tomorrow with contests in Montana and South Dakota but will there be a nominee?   Barack Obama is just 42 delegates shy of the 2,118 now needed to clinch the nomination. There are not enough pledged delegates at stake tomorrow to put Obama over the top, but don’t forget about the superdelegates.

And Bill Clinton is fighting back against the man who wrote an article about him in Vanity Fair.  He called the reporter sleazy and charged he didn't use a single name or cite a single source for the accusations he makes in the article.   But Clinton didn't just target the author, he also went after Barack Obama, calling it “...another way of helping Obama. They had all these people standing up in this church cheering, calling Hillary a white racist, and he didn't do anything about it.”  We’ll talk about that and the fact that Sen. Obama has resigned from that church with the best political team on television.

Be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Steve from California

If I were Bill Clinton I would consider filing a lawsuit for libel.

June 2, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  2. Bren from Atlanta

I agree that Bill did the right thing, I just want Mrs. Clinton to stand up for herself and the former President to take a back seat. After all, SHE'S running for office now, now him.

June 2, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  3. Kayle

Was anyone truly shocked about the entire Bill Clinton story. Or better yet did anyone second guess the story. It's kind of something people have been waiting for.

June 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  4. Minou, New York City

I cannot believe that Bill Clinton is getting negative press for chewing this jerk of a reporter out. It's the journalist you should try to interview and also the editor of V.F. and ask them : what the heck were you thinking putting that in a magazine???

June 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  5. EJ (USA)

You got this Obama! Bring it home tomorrow night!

June 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  6. Kim

I thought David Gergen's comment was interesting... That Bill's comments and his temper might actually work against Hillary's chances of getting the VP slot on the Obama ticket

June 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  7. Jennifer, Rocklin, CA

This year's political season is very interesting. While Sen. Clinton is an excellent competitor, Sen. Obama has created a winning campaign. It is time for Sen. Clinton to join the next President of the United States, President Barack Obama.

June 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  8. Lesli

I'm glad we're comming down to the end of this. It's been exciting, but I'm tired of this race and the Clinton bashing.

Bill has some very valid points as David is saying, and we are seeing him (Bill) in a different light.

Obama and the various medias have some hard facts to face about their treatment of the Clinton's. Bill is right. Obama did not say enough about the Priest's comedy routine a week ago last Sunday.

Obama quitting the church is too little to late.

The resolution of the Democratic Party on Saturday was the least democratic moment I have ever witnessed.

A disappointing ending to be sure.

June 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  9. Jacqui Chan

I really want Hillary! I wish there was a way especially if the popular vote ends in her favor...

June 2, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  10. david

I agree with Chuck in Alambama Cooper.

June 2, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Kim

What ever are we going to talk about after the general election is over? I wonder... we are going to be political junkies going through severe withdrawal 😀

June 2, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  12. Jason--Riverview, FL

Chuck I believe you...and this is what Bill Clinton is talking about. Demonizing SEN Clinton; yet Glorifying Barack Obama....just what he ordered...

I can't wait till NOVEMBER...boy is the National Media going to be suprised along with this DNC Commitee

June 2, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Jana, Indiana

Chuck, I agree with you. Why hadn't this piece came out earlier?

June 2, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  14. EJ (USA)

I wish I could be at the Obama gathering tomorrow night. What fun that would be.

June 2, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Jolene

Hello bloggers! It makes you wonder why Vanity Fair decided to publish an article on Bill Clinton. Are they playing politics? It's as though they knew BIll would blow his stack.

June 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  16. Chuck in Alabama

Clinton has to get over "sexism" but, Obama doesn't have to get over "racism?"

June 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  17. david

Cooper I am a Hillary supporter and I would support a Dream Ticket. But if Obama puts someone else on the ticket then I will not support it. However, media been so bias against the Clinton's and I agree with Bill on firing back at Vannity Fair..

June 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  18. CaseyJPS - California

Chuck in Alabama>
    "This article was timed just to mess with the final contest and distract the superdelegates."

Timing is everything. I like your theory.

June 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  19. Tracey - Boston

@Chuck

very interesting about the timing issue

June 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  20. janet

The question on "temper"... we all have a temper, we just show it differently. Bill Clinton has a passion for this country and to see it go in the right direction. He's just not afraid to show how much he cares about the United States of America.

June 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, Ohio

Chuck in Alabama; And they said the Clinton's were the ones who would stoop to any level to win the nomination.

June 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  22. june

The Clintons are deperate and pathetic. I used to admire them, but no longer. They are set on destroying any hopes for a Democrat in the Presidency if it's not Hillary. I think the DNC needs to pull the plug on them.

June 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  23. Jacqueline

Good evening all! Oh what a weekend, huh? Be you thought it bring about some kind of closure, huh?

June 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Vincent

Bill Clinton seems to be having anger management issues ..... something similar to McCains own issues 😀

i think David is right, Bill COULD present a problem for WHOEVER the democratic candidate is. Hed be there if Hillary was in the white house, and hed be involved even if there was a joint ticket.

June 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Cynthia

I also agree with Gloria that the Republicans will use it if she is chosen as his VP.

June 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Jo Ann, Ohio

Kim; Let's be fair. I think that Obama has shown that he can have a bit of a temper himself, especially when it comes to his wife.

June 2, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar

Hello Anderson, Erica, and Bloggers!!!
    I agree with BIll Clinton, I am so glad that he is doing right thing to blame reporter.

June 2, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Chuck in Alabama

And what about questions that might be asked about any McCain running mate?

June 2, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, Ohio

Andrew, Lafayette IN; I agree; there is no doubt about it, the MSM has been less than fair towards Hillary Clinton.

June 2, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Cindy

I think that everything Bill said was right on the money.

June 2, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Bren from Atlanta

If Bill Clinton is having a hard time during the campaign, how is he ever going to handle criticisms from the press, representatives from the House or Senate, or other countries leaders? He just will not sit back and be a "First Lady", that is quite evident. No gender offense intended. But it seems to be a problem for him to let her fight her own battles.

June 2, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Zenta, New York, New York, NY

Clinton"s" upset what they call "sexism," but as a candidate, I believe she must be able to get over everything negative she gets. Therefore, if she cannot get over sexism on her in this campaign, it means she is not a strong cadidate enough to be the president...

June 2, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Chuck in Alabama

June 2, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  34. janet

Bill Clinton got it right. I believe the Obama supporters slime Hillary too. Here in Las Vegas when I am approached by Obama supporters and they ask me who I support they treat me like crap, call me names, tell me I'm stupid, and to wake up for the sake of the country. It happens all the time. I have yet to meet one Obama supporter that was kind to me. I always tell them that Obama is my second choice, but I'm rooting for Hillary.

June 2, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  35. david

good evening Cooper and Erica

June 2, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Victoria

I think Bill is seeing the writing on the wall and is a little angry about it.

June 2, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Kim

Who do you think has more of a temper: Bill Clinton or John McCain?

June 2, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  38. CaseyJPS - California

Is Bill Clinton running for President (again), because I really don't want to hear about him.

June 2, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, Ohio

Hi Anderson and everyone! I am looking forward to discussing tonight's reports.

June 2, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Jana, Indiana

Good evening Anderson and all bloggers.

June 2, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Chuck

I feel sorry for the voters of Mich. and Florida; they deserve for their votes to count, and voted in good faith. The Democratic party should not be able to tell the states when they can or cannot have primary elections.

June 2, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  42. sara. .minneapolis

My goodness, Bill. He really doesn't reign in his anger, haha.

June 2, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Hannah Storm

Not saying this article is true but you have to admit many people do think it

June 2, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson and welcome to the blog tonight. It is going to be hot tonight because of attacks on former President Clinton. Have full all. I will sit and read tonight.

June 2, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Andrew, Lafayette IN

Bill Clinton has a point.

June 2, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

It has certainly been an intense six months. Hard to believe tomorrow is actually here.

June 2, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Sarah, Atlanta GA

Sounds like a very interesting program tonite, Anderson.

June 2, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Derrick, WA

Anderson, do you feel its time for Clinton to come to the realization that her so called "Sense of Entitlement" to the Presidency just because she has the Clinton name does not exist?

June 2, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. CaseyJPS - California

Greetings Bloggers! Anderson, I know your mother told you to not bite your nails (don't forget the web cam)!

June 2, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Zenta, New York, New York, NY

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, and all!

June 2, 2008 at 10:00 pm |