May 30th, 2008

Erica’s News Note: Weird and wonderful

Erica Hill
AC360° Correspondent
Anderson just did a smart, fascinating interview with Scott McClellan. So many questions - I wanted to ask a him a few myself when I rode in the elevator with him this afternoon, but 5 floors wasn’t enough time. It was a crazy way to start my Friday, though! You never know who you’ll see in this building.

OK, let’s get down to business!

Can you imagine a woman living in your closet for a year without you knowing? I know, that last sentence has a few things that are tough to imagine, but it happened in Japan. Somehow, this woman was able to not only move in, she got herself a mattress, and even showered! Her one slip-up? Taking food from the guy who’s closet she was living in. In tech-savvy Japan, all it took was a webcam and cell phone to solve the mystery of the missing munchies.

-----–

Standardized tests were never my thing – my brain just doesn’t fit in a neat little bubble. If only the SAT had been optional when I was applying to school! More schools are moving in that direction… lucky kids these days.

-----–

In a recent post, I blogged about refugees in Thailand, living in a trash dump. Today, another tale of children spending their days among refuse, but this one offers so much more hope, thanks to one caring woman. Since 2004, Phymaen Noun has given hundreds of children that hope, and a chance at leaving the local dump behind, with something many of us take for granted: education.

-----–

If you need a little more inspiration, meet Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA). It doesn’t matter which side of the aisle you identify with, his courage in the face of cancer – and plenty of other health issues - can unite us all. His determination in the face of decades of bad news reminds me of my Dad; an incredibly strong man who never gives up, and who never ceases to amaze and inspire me.

Filed under: Erica Hill
  1. michelle: Ont,Canada

Dear, Erica

I find it extremley hard to believe a woman living in a man's closet !
    How could he not have known about this? Does not not use his closet and besides how does a matress fit inside of there ? I find it sad that she had to resort to these drastic measures in oreder to have a "home" to call her own.

June 1, 2008 at 10:26 am |
  2. Bren from Atlanta

Hi Erica, a woman in a man's closet? You think he would have at least smelled her...not to be gross, but let's face it, usually we can detect one another's scents and every man I know (I've been married 30 yrs)knows every ounce of food they own, especially if they are single.
    Arlen Spectre is a great man. I am originally from Pa, and I too have serious health issues. It is folks like this that keep me focused even if I cannot work any longer. That's why I love your blog community...
    You are a cool cookie m'lady...
    Bren

May 30, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Jacqueline

The story about the Missing Munchies caught me of guard, but it truly is funny. I see a movie in the making. My guess is, eventually, the guy will take her in. Maybe she could be his 'LIVE-IN' housekeeper.

May 30, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Annie Kate

The woman living in the man's closet for a year before he noticed – unbelievable. I kind of admire her audacity though – showers, food, and a mattress – all the comforts of home. What a story. I do feel for her not having a place to call home – some people have so little and some have so much and take it for granted.

Looking forward to the show tonight and Anderson's interview with McCellan.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

May 30, 2008 at 9:50 pm |
  5. Alana Matheson, NewBrunswick,Canada

LOL I read that early today! it was strange...You gotta wonder about the man who lived in the house....A year! does he not use his closet? too funny .

May 30, 2008 at 9:29 pm |
  6. Larry From Bradfor PA

I keep hearing about Obama challenging Petitions in Chicago and CNN calls it Chicago Politics. You are making it sound like it is dirty politics the way you are presenting it! I was a Committeeman for over 30 years outside Buffalo NY and the first thing we did was check the opponents petitions and challenge them when it was obvious they were errors on them!

My point is, It is not Chicago only politics! It is common throughout the Country and it is a proper means to insure candidates are not illegally nominated!

May 30, 2008 at 8:58 pm |
  7. Judy Stage

Erica, I read about the little Japanese lady on CNN.com and my first thought was, I have extra bedrooms and I would gladly take her in and she could eat all the food she wanted from my house. However, she probably would not do well in a small village in the midwest. The story really saddened me. Some of us have so much and some so little that it doesn't seem quite fair.

May 30, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  8. Bill in Nebraska

Erica,

First thing is that you are a true nutt. 😉 You find some of the strangest stories and put your fun and unique perspective on them. I do love your take on things. Like I have said before, I have been a fan since back in the TechTV days.

I will have to DVR the show tonight because I just found out I have become a Delegate for my local district, so I will be very busy trying to get that all figured out. I am new to this whole thing at this level. I said I wanted my vote to count this time, well I guess I kind of stepped in it this time...lol... We will see how it goes. If I make it all the way to the National Convention as a Delegate then I will blog about my time.

Keep up the good work Erica and don't worry about standardized tests or SAT's. I aced all of mine and it didn't help me a bit for school.

May 30, 2008 at 6:25 pm |
  9. Vilmarie

Happy Friday Erica!

You sure do know how to find these odd stories, first there is the lady on the Metro Newspaper who sat in the toilet for 1 or 2 years, then her boyfriend decided to get her some help. Then, there is the lady who died whom you published who died and no one noticed for numerous years, now this Japan woman living in the closet. Keep these odd stories coming, sad but so true. You are amazing.

All the best!
    Vilmarie

May 30, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  10. Cindy

Can't wait to see Anderson's interview with McCLellan. I hope that he drilled him good and didn't let him get off easy!

I can not see how in the world you would not know that someone was in your closet! I mean maybe once you wouldn't know but for her to have moved a mattress and all in....come on. That makes no sense. Did the man not ever use it or what!? I just don't believe it!

Cindy...Ga.

May 30, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  11. Lilibeth

The case of the missing munchies...it’s actually a funny story. Maybe the woman thought the resident wouldn’t notice. I know that if my potato chips are missing, I’d notice it right away! My husband knows to stay away from them...LOL!

If colleges elect to make SAT tests optional, I hope that they'll require something else. There should be a way for colleges to predict a prospective student’s success.

Education is the key to the elimination of poverty and kudos to Ms. Noun for championing this cause.

See you tonight.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

May 30, 2008 at 4:55 pm |
  12. Alexander

Glad to see you posted a little early today, Erica.: ) Glad we can start off this Friday of news and information a bit sooner.: )

May 30, 2008 at 4:43 pm |
  13. Kim

I can't wait to see the interview tonight, Erica! I've been looking forward to the show all day! Since you were talking about the CNN building, are there still studio tours in NYC?

May 30, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  14. JC- Los Angeles

Erica, I always enjoy your heartfelt take on the subjects you cover; regarding McClellan, however, I don't think a hack like him is worthy of your attention; you should have told him to take the stairs; the only question I would have asked is: "are you riding in the Belmont Stakes?"

May 30, 2008 at 4:40 pm |