May 27th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 5/27/08

A political gaffe from Barack Obama. Yesterday he said this: "I had an uncle who was one of the - who was part of the first American troops to go into Auschwitz and liberate the concentration camps." Today, we know this is not exactly true. What did he mean to say? How big of a deal is this? We'll find out from the best political team on television.

Former White House spokesman Scott McClellan has a new book coming out and it has some serious charges like allegations that President Bush relied on "propaganda" to sell the war and Karl Rove and Lewis "Scooter" Libby, "had at best misled" Scott McClellan about their roles in identifying CIA operative Valerie Plame.

Out on the campaign trail this weekend both McCain and Obama spent quite a bit of time talking about Iraq. How do their views compare to those on the ground? We'll have a reality check for you.

We want to hear your thoughts so we'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

If you feel like your comments aren't being posted please take a look at our comments post.
LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, Ohio

Today I heard an Obama rep say that Obama is planning on visiting Iraq next month. He won't go with McCain because McCain would make him look like a sttudent.while McCain would look like the teacher.

May 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Charles

Michael finally gets someone to talk reality and sense and not spin.....good to have him back.

May 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  3. carmen

Tracey, I have noticed that about McCain on several occasions when he winks while delivering some of these positions. Good to see some real news about the wars in addition to the Hillary and Barack Olympics

May 27, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  4. EJ (USA)

Chanel – I recall that Powell did issue a few statements disagreeing with the Bush administration and admitting the intelligence he was using was wrong.

May 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  5. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I love how Michael Ware just tells it like it is.....no pretense, no crap mixed in, no agenda. More Michael Ware

May 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Michaela, San Diego, CA

I love Michael's "reality checks".

May 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Daleen L

Thank you for having Michael Ware on the show. His perspective is one that we can trust.

2% of attacks are Al Quaeda in Iraq????? And we can't even defeat the 2%. Let's get out now!!!!

May 27, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Kathy

Tracey – I thought I saw him wink also.
    What is that?

May 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  9. Kim Millis, Ma

This junk about McCain taking Obama to Irac to educate him, PLEASE.

McCain is full of himself, listen to Mike he knows what he's talking about. This War was a lie, still is a lie. Did you see McCain today,
    my friends we will never surrened, we will have victory, I think he needs some advise.

May 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  10. Teresa, OH

@ Chanel: thats the book I'm waiting for too .

May 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  11. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think Obama should go to Iraq with McCain. If for the only reason it would show some concern for our troops. All the politicans should be over there.

May 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Karen--Leesburg, VA

So, how many times has did they say John McCain has been to Iraq for a photo opportunity and pick up a carpet. . . Oops! I mean how many times has Sen. McCain traveled to Iraq to give moral support and increase his knowledge of what the troops face on a day-to-day basis?

May 27, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Jolene

If McCain and Obama go to Iraq, I think Anderson should go with them. You know, keep them honest and all. However, as much as that would be educational for all involved, my guess is they will never really see the real picture. Both candidates would be extremely guarded especially while in the green zone.

May 27, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Chanel

I'm sorry, but Micheal Ware knows more about what is going on over there than most Marines. I'm taking his word that if he says it will be a political stunt, it will be.

May 27, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Ellie B

Good to see Michael Ware the man who knows whats really going on in Iraq

May 27, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Kitti

Unbelievable story about McClellan! I agree with you Anderson – in the past, people who disagreed with their political boss would resign, I guess in todays' ethics it is more profitable to just wait for the book deal. Great for him, terrible for the Country they supposedly love and serve.

May 27, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  17. Chuck in Alabama

Tell is like it is Micahael!!! I always hated it when the "Big Cheeses" visited our bases overseas. They NEVER saw reality.

May 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  18. carmen

Hi all, for a man who has been speaking about civility, I find the tone of McCain's attacks on Obama very offensive and heavy.

May 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  19. Joe

Somebody tell John McCain that most of the American people have never been to Iraq, but they know they don't want to send our kids there. What he calls "surrender", we call good judgement.

May 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  20. Jana, Indiana

it is nice to see Michael Ware back on 360.

May 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, Ohio

Karen – Leesburg, VA; You don't think McClellan did this for any other reason than to save his own behind do you?

May 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Larry

Saying the war in Iraq should not have happened is 20/20 hindsight. I doubt that Hillary was the only Democrat that voted for the war, but she's the only name we hear about.

May 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Melissa G.

Great to see Michael Ware on the show again – it's been awhile!

May 27, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  24. liz toledo ohio

of course McClellan is going to do whatever Rove, Bush, Cheney tell him while he is press secretary. He probably tried to argue with them a few time and after being outnumbered so many times he just gives in. The bush administration would just keep feeding him incorrect information for him to tell the media, even lies.

May 27, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  25. Chanel

Jennifer – Colin Powell has really taken the high road and not disclosed is feelings on this issue... so far. We'll see what happens when this administration moves out of the white house.

May 27, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Tracey - Boston

I will never surrender... and then he winks!! What is that?

May 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Tess, OH

Michael Ware ought to pen a book about Iraq himself. No doubt it'd be a go-to source. The man has seen it all.

May 27, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Krista in VA

It really would be nice to see this election move back to the issues. All of this in-fighting needs to come to an end.

May 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, Ohio

Gerry; I wouldn't put too much stock in what Pelosi says either, but I will listen to Michael Ware; he's the best!

May 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Charles

@ Channel: It would be nice, but I think Powell has too much loyalty to write it....

May 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar

Gerry,
    I agree with you.... my thoughts exactly! I hope Rove lands in jail......

May 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Minou, New York City

Michael Ware! Finally ! I thought we're not gonna see him again until after the convention...

May 27, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  33. Jennifer - Michigan

Great! I really like to hear from Michael Ware. He knows what is actually going on over there.

May 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  34. John from ME

There goes another instance where a big deal is made out of these kinds of words. I'm not an Obama supporter (yet,) but I believe that these mishaps the candidates have while speaking, won't matter five or ten years from now. The issues are, and should be the main focus of the media, and the way the issues are handled is what will matter five or ten years from now.

May 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  35. Jolene

Regardless of what led us to the Iraq war, we are in it and there's no turning back, we need to move forward. America certainly does not need to spend energy playing the "blame" game until after the war is over. Our troops deserve that much from us anyways.

May 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  36. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think Obama should go to Iraq with McCain. They could both sit in on the same meetings with the Generals. What happened to coming together. They should for our troops.

May 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  37. jackie Chino Hills, CA

it's always nice to see candy on the program. she's so smart, intellectual and articulate.

May 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  38. Michelle

According to McCain he will never surrender in Iraq. Basically, it will be VIETNAM ALL OVER AGAIN.

Don't try to tell me McCain won't re-institute the draft.

God help us all if McCain becomes our next President!!!!

May 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  39. Kim

Hi Guys,
    Obama's slip is stupid, it's not a lie he just mixed up two places.
    I think that book is awesome, we all knew but now it's on paper.

May 27, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Ken in NC

All of the running camps have jumped on misspoken statements by their opposition. Senator Obama should be very careful in his choice of words in the closing days of the campaign.

May 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Luke

Of course, yet again, Obama makes a gaffe and so many people are willing to give him a pass. If Hillary made this gaffe, she would be getting endlessly scrutinized like always. Just another day on the "Double Standard Express" with the Obama campaign, his supporters and the media.

May 27, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Charles

Interesting that McCain will never surrender in Iraq–a war that should not be.....guess we will be there for a 100 years....has anyone told McCain that the Bush Admin did talk to North Korea...and only then got the results it wanted while we are still trying to get Bin Laden?

May 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Thomas

rove is as slippery as an eel, isn't he...and now on Fox!

May 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  44. jackie Chino Hills, CA

good evening everyone. we hit the ground running tonight. hehe

May 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Bonnie

I think Obama and McCain going to Iraq is a great idea. See what the troops say.

May 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar

Chuck in Alabama,
    Absolutely, I agree with you too, I thought Rove lied to us about everything.

May 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Jana, Indiana

So why won't Obama go with McCain to Iraq?

May 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse NY

Good idea. Obama should go to Iraq if he hasn't been there in 2 years.

May 27, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

I don't need to read McClellan's book to know how incompetent this administration has been – the memory of stranded Americans in dire circumstances waiting days on end for rescue during Hurricane Katrina is just one of many unbelievable examples of their incompetence – the only thing they accomplished in the last eight years was helping the rich get richer

May 27, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

It does appear Obama and McCain are not going to have a civil election process. Both are slinging it pretty good.

May 27, 2008 at 10:20 pm |