May 26th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 5/26/08

Happy Memorial Day!

Bill Clinton was defending his wife this weekend saying Sen. Clinton has been handled disrespectfully and that "they are trying to push and pressure and bully" superdelegates. Who exactly is he talking about? And what impact will his remarks have on the campaign? We'll have analysis of that and the backlash from Hillary Clinton's RFK assassination comments and the fight between John McCain and Barack Obama over the G.I. bill.

Severe storms swept across the midwest this weekend spawning deadly tornadoes across several states. One killed six people in Iowa. Another, in Minnesota, claimed the life of a 2-year-old child.
We'll take you as close as possible to the sheer power of a tornado. We'll show you footage taken on Saturday in Oklahoma from a helicopter. It is some of the most dramatic images you will ever see of a tornado's strength.

According to the Army, as many as 121 active-duty soldiers committed suicide last year, an increase of 20 percent over 2006. It's an alarming trend that has many wondering what's being done to prevent more deaths. Randi Kaye is keeping them honest.

Don't' forget about our live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Teresa, OH

The suicides are the saddest, most heartbreaking deaths out of this stupid nonsense of a war. Those poor families and soldiers.

May 26, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Minou, New York City

Post-traumatic-stress-disorder is still not getting taken seriously enough these days? How many suicides do they need in order to finally care for the soldiers that come back traumatized?
    But then again, if the government fails to take care of them, why don't friends and family do something? Psychological help can be attained for very little money in certain places. Somebody needs to step in and get them help.

May 26, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  3. sarah B....Durham,NC

the military does not WANT to have thorough evaluations for their soldiers....if they did....many would be deemed unfit....and the Sad truth is that some that went in stable....do not leave that way.....

May 26, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  4. EJ

Although this story makes me want to cry – thanks for reporting on this soldier's struggles Anderson/Randi Kaye.

May 26, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Shannon

I hope the helicopter pilot and the cameraman/reporter gets some kind of award for bravery for their work Saturday afternoon. That was the most incredible footage of a tornado I've ever seen, and I grew up in Tornado Alley.

May 26, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Genevieve M, TX

That is just sad that the veterans don't get the benefits they are entitled to. I am so glad my father was able to retire and get his veteran benefits just before the goverment placed all these rules and restrictions that has made it difficult for the other veterans to get theirs.

May 26, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  7. Cynthia

Joann, I agree 100% with you on that point about the suicide and mental disorders.

May 26, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  8. Julliet

Happy memorial day folks. Can't wait for june and all the political excited that will comes with it.

May 26, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  9. Sara, Oklahoma

It makes me wonder how the hurricane season will be since the tornadoes are so bad this year.

May 26, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, Ohio

I'll bet suicides and mental disorders among the military are more common than we know. The government probably tries to keep them secret.

May 26, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  11. Stacy

I wish I could say this story surprised me, but it doesn't. Time after time we hear instances of how we're NOT supporting our troops. It's immoral.

May 26, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Cynthia

Can you beleive that they would do something like this to this poor guy. That is why I have a real problem with Senator McCain not signing that bill when they should be doing more for the soliders – especially giving them some type of mental evaluation and if his parents called to say he had a problem they most certainly should have watched him more closely.

May 26, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  13. Barbara of NC

Hillary need to start looking for a running mate.

God Bless our troops this Memorial Day!

May 26, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  14. Bianca, Rosedale, MD

Can we get over what the Clinton's have said the last few days? What happened to true reporting? Growing up I don't remember Walter Concrite, Max Robinson, and the others of those days going on and on about stuff like today's media.

May 26, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  15. Mike, Syracuse NY

EJ, and it could just be normal variation of the weather, which we have only accurately tracked for a very short time.

May 26, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  16. Tammy, Berwick, LA

I know my cousin came back after two tours in Iraq, and he's not the same man that left. He looks like a ghost. He used to tell me everything, and he won't talk about anything now. I don't know what is going on over there, I'm afraid to know, but our soldiers deserve more than what the military is doing for them (or not doing more accurately).

May 26, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  17. Tomm500

Sydney Pollack was a great director – what a loss!

May 26, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  18. Cynthia

That you believe that they would do something like this to this poor guy. That is why I have a real problem with Senator McCain not signing that bill when they should be doing more.

May 26, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  19. Minou, New York City

Injured soldiers are called "heroes". Fallen soldiers are honored with monuments and Memorial Day.
    I feel the soldiers who fought bravely in a war without getting hurt are somewhat forgotten. That's not fair.

May 26, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  20. EJ

Kim,

"Does anybody know why the tornado season is so devastating this year? Are there meteorological reasons for it at all or is it just random?"

Some say global warming. Others say it's because the world is coming to an end.

May 26, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  21. CaseyJPS - California

Relative to treatment of our veterans, I like to encourage people to see Body of War, produced by Phil Donohue. It covers current issues relative to wounded veterans, problems with insurance and the lack of adequate care.

May 26, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Cynthia

Joann – I guess it is how you view things. As I saw it Senator Clinton was the one who had it in the bag, but at some point the bag got a hole in it.

May 26, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Yvonne

I think deep down, Bill Clinton does not want to move back to the White House. But he cannot be seen as opposing Hillary's desire to be the President. He knows it's time to quit but he just can't say it. He's afraid of Hillary.

May 26, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Jacqui

Has the VA agreed to help disabled veterans recovering in their facilities register and vote yet?

May 26, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  25. EJ

Christine,

"I really don’t know why we say Happy Memorial Day considering what we are supposed to be honoring."

Yeah you make a good point. I guess because we don't know what else to say.

Have a genuinely sad and heartbreaking Memorial Day ? Nah – that won't work. 🙂

May 26, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  26. Kim

May 26, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Barbara of NC

The delegates are so worried about the new voters and blacks that they have pushed the base of the Democratic body aside. I hope they come to their senses before it's too late.
    All 50 of these United States be counted, even Obama said he would go along with whatever the party decided. And I pray Hillary doesn't get out, because without her the party can kiss a lot of us goodbye and get ready for a write in of Hillary. Hillary or McCain will win this election – NEVER Obama – he is not electable for many reasons.

May 26, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  28. Genevieve M, TX

The pilot is braver than I am, because I would never, ever get that close to a tornado!

May 26, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  29. jen rose

Its a sad situation about the tornados over the weekend. Its weird on how many thats happening, Its a scary thought!

May 26, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Tammy, Berwick, LA

The tornado footage is unreal. Tornadoes are just scary. And yep, I'm nuts enough to participate in the cheese roll if given the opportunity.

May 26, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

What terrible damage from the tornado. The pictures of it are just so horrible. I wonder if Fema trailers will be needed? I wonder what shelter they'll get.

May 26, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Carla Ontario Canada

google Sydney Pollack and it lists all his movies, he won 2 oscars for OUT OF AFRICA 1985

May 26, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  33. ericacnn

Pollack's list of achievements is incredible... including his marriage of 50 years

May 26, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Thank you Marcia.....that's where I remembered Sydney from

May 26, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  35. CaseyJPS - California

Oh my word, I have never seen anything like those tornado shots and the pig farm.

May 26, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  36. Minou, New York City

A tornado is awe-inspiring! Very frightening and fascinating.

May 26, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Jana, Indiana

Anderson it is great to see you getting back to your roots of doing voice overs on pieces on your show. I am sure everyone enjoys it.

May 26, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Bonnie

Who would be brave enought to watch a tornado from a helicopter??

May 26, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  39. jackie Chino Hills, CA

that music along with the footage was a little creepy, almost scary even though i bet what's currently happening for some it out of this world scary. my prayers are with all of the those effected by this weird weather and crazy tornadoes.

May 26, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

the film of the tornardo is just so amazing to watch......you can not take your eyes off of it. Thanks goodness those 6 people and the piglets are all ok

May 26, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Kim

Tracey, Guam has the same status as Puerto Rico, so citizens cannot vote in November.

May 26, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Casey, I agree with you. Our troops deserve our undivided attention today and always.

May 26, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  43. EJ

Out of Pollack's movies Anderson mentioned, I think the only one I saw is "The Firm." I also recognize the name more than the movies.

May 26, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Marcia, Warren MI

Megan O. Sydney also played Will's dad on Will and Grace.

May 26, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Maureen T

All that for cheese!? Only the Brits! 🙂 They were having fun too though, right?

May 26, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  46. jackie Chino Hills, CA

mr. pollack will always be in our memories......

it's always nice to see the cheese roll. hehe would anyone ever participate? be honest. =)

May 26, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Pat, Fayetteville, NC

It goes without saying that Senator Clinton has been treated disrespectfully in her race to become the first female President of the United States. When she complains about the way she is being treated, it is said that she is whining.

Sexism is like racism, you know when you are on the receiving end of it, no matter how subtle.

May 26, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  48. CaseyJPS - California

Sydney Pollack's death is a great loss–he was very intelligent and talented. Now can we also talk about Memorial Day and our troops (like the 4000 that have already died in combat)?

May 26, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  49. teresa

It was a happy stay at home and saved a hundred bucks on gas Memorial Day. Watched war movies off and on.

So sad to hear about Cydney Pollack...he was amazing!

May 26, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

the pictures from Mars are so cool. It should be really interesting to see what isthey find up there

May 26, 2008 at 10:25 pm |