May 26th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 5/26/08

Happy Memorial Day!

Bill Clinton was defending his wife this weekend saying Sen. Clinton has been handled disrespectfully and that "they are trying to push and pressure and bully" superdelegates. Who exactly is he talking about? And what impact will his remarks have on the campaign? We'll have analysis of that and the backlash from Hillary Clinton's RFK assassination comments and the fight between John McCain and Barack Obama over the G.I. bill.

Severe storms swept across the midwest this weekend spawning deadly tornadoes across several states. One killed six people in Iowa. Another, in Minnesota, claimed the life of a 2-year-old child.
We'll take you as close as possible to the sheer power of a tornado. We'll show you footage taken on Saturday in Oklahoma from a helicopter. It is some of the most dramatic images you will ever see of a tornado's strength.

According to the Army, as many as 121 active-duty soldiers committed suicide last year, an increase of 20 percent over 2006. It's an alarming trend that has many wondering what's being done to prevent more deaths. Randi Kaye is keeping them honest.

Don't' forget about our live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sharmel

Good evening to all ...I hope the holiday weekend went well.
    We are all getting closer to a finale. Can't wait to see what May 31st brings.
    Best wishes to all the Vets, and their families out there. Thanks for putitng yourselves on the line, literally. The efforts are so appreciated. Words can't express....

May 26, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, Ohio

Cynthia; The voters and outsiders may have thought that, but that is not what the Democratic Party wanted. You could see them carefully trying to dismantle the Clinton campaign a little at a time from the very beginning.

May 26, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Nicki

A Thomas said: "Hillary gave 2 reasons to continue the race. Only one is possible. There is no CA primary this June. If she mis-spoke, what does this say about her being prepared to run the country?"

The really crazy thing is the Kennedy primary season didn't even start until MARCH so it's a totally different scenario.

May 26, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  4. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Wow that is so sad Sydney Pollack died.....I don't think I have seen any of his movies but I knew the name and face

May 26, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  5. Cynthia

I agree with Claire and look at the number of them who have post traumatic stress syndrome.

May 26, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

What a loss for Hollywood and all of us. Pollack was an excellent director. Sad day indeed.

May 26, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  7. Claire in Birmingham, AL

Oh no! =( I am such a fan of Sydney Pollack...this is so sad.

May 26, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  8. Laura

Somebody needs to remind Bill Clinton that his wife is running for President not him.

May 26, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  9. sarah B....Durham,NC

the GI bill needs to become concurrent with 2008.....it is a SHAME that within our budget we have not given more to the ones who serve. Veterans i know do not use it a lot due to being on reserve, bills, or families....their sacrifices would overwhelm them versus the rewards, what little there are.

May 26, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Christine

I really don't know why we say Happy Memorial Day considering what we are supposed to be honoring.

Now, my brother served 20 years in the Air Force, he retired. He had no benefits for schooling. I have heard many people say the only reason they join the services is to get the benefits and money for school. I think the longer they serve the more they should get, not all expenses paid schooling for 3 or 4 years served.

May 26, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  11. Jolene

I have to admit, it was pretty exciting waiting for the Mars landing last night and watching everyone in the control room get all hyped when it landed without incident. It will be cool if we learn something new.

May 26, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  12. Carla Ontario Canada

If you look at the states that Hillary has won she is leading in the electoral votes (remember 2000 Gore lost by 1 vote),
    Obama is only ahead because of the causases were only a few ppl voted and that is why he leads in delegates.
    Hillary is ahead in popluar votes when you count FL/MI. The DNC
    had better get their act together and soon.

May 26, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Hey,

I don't normally agree with giving tax dollars away, and I definitely do not agree with Barack Obama on anything, but our GI's deserve to have their college paid. It's the least this country can do to say thanks.

May 26, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  14. jen rose

We landed on mars today, what do you think about it? Do you think they will find out that people will be able to live there?

May 26, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Minou, New York City

I just saw it on the ticker! Great director/actor Sidney Pollack has died of cancer at 73!
    I admired his work a lot and I'm very sad that he will not be able to create more excellent work.

May 26, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  16. Kim

I really can't understand why someone would be willing to withhold support from returning troops, being afraid that people might leave the armed forces earlier because of the benefits.

Someone who is willing to risk their lives for their country deserves all the support they can get with housing, education, medical services or other things

May 26, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Rekha Joy

Anderson,

I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day weekend. But however on this solemn occasion, I don't know how "happy" and the memory of sacrificed soldiers exactly "fit".

May 26, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  18. A Thomas

The Clinton camp said all voters should be counted. How does the Clinton camp count the popular vote for the caucus states?

May 26, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  19. kay

The Obama campaign has not moved on,just like the media has not moved on.The Obama campaign wants this to keep going because they are ones that started it.Obama and his group are paranoid.The statement Hillary made about the past June primaries had nothing to do with him.All things do not evolve around him.He is not God or the center of the universe.
    He lets his campaign makes these stupid statements for him and then he tries to gloss over them.

May 26, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  20. CaseyJPS - California

Tracey – Boston>I didn't know vets had to wait 20 years for benefits! What could possibly be the logic behind that?

May 26, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  21. Cynthia

Larry plain and simple – they did not need those votes at that time but do now.

May 26, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  22. EJ

Casey,

I hope everyone spent some time to reflect on Memorial Day. The 360 Blog today was really amazing–a little tough to read through all of it for me because of the content but all of it eloquent and enlightening.

I could only read a little bit of it.

I did spend several hours yesterday looking through 9/11 footage on YouTube.

May 26, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Cynthia

I do think it is a shame that Senator McCain won't sign off on the GI bill. I think that anyone who goes over and serves deserves the best benefits possible.

May 26, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Yvonne

This campaign has given Obama all the war experience he needs.

May 26, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  25. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Hey Erica

I noticed on your post today you said you went out of the city for the holiday. Did you get far with the price of gas what it is?

May 26, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  26. Tracey - Boston

The people of Guam voted in a primary do they get to vote in November?

May 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  27. Claire

So it's okay to send the soldiers to die for our country but they can't help give them a college education? There are too many veterns that are poor and have to wait hours and hours at a VA hospital for medical care. It's sad that Bush et al have a problem with the bill.

May 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  28. Teresa, OH

@ Carla: I think Hillary will stay in it until she is basically forced out and she has no hope. She is truly to be commended for her dedication and strength. Two qualities needed in a president.

May 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Marcia, Warren MI

The vets can't catch a break. Many are homeless and can't get proper medical care and now they have no support to adapt to the current employment situation when they come home. What's wrong with this president he supports the war but not the troops and vets!

May 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  30. Jim Lyttle

Before complaining about Obama's lack of military service, McCain had better have a look at the "Who's Served?" list available all over the web. For the most part, it is Republicans who send Democrats to war, while sitting at home on repeated deferments.

May 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  31. A Thomas

May 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  32. sam

oops, they have 8 super delegtes as well, Puerto Rico does

May 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  33. sharon

Penny, she's winning high electoral vote states that any Democrat is going to win in November. It's a little early for her to be declaring victory. Obama will do just fine in those states and in fact is ahead in most polls already.

May 26, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  34. Maurice, California

Hillary won more votes in the May primaries than Obama when you total the popular vote. Despite winning the elections in total votes cast in May, pundits and others say she should get out. People still vote for her because they think she is a better candidate. Pundits and political insiders want to push her out for unity sake, but they are just aggravating and angering Hillary Clinton's supporters. At last count, it totals up to more than voted for Obama in popular vote!

May 26, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Cynthia

In most cases EJ because I think that what it comes down to is pledged delegates and in most cases when it is all said and done he will have enough.

May 26, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  36. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

“What will Obama do when Hillary wins BIG in PR??”

Same thing as he did after WV and Kentucky.....get more superdelegates and then win the nomination

May 26, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  37. Josh

Don't you thing the G.I. Bill should be a #1 priority in the future? We are difinately not going to do well with the armed forces in the future after Iraq. Don't you think we should take care of our armed forces? Not only the armed forces, but anyone who serves our country, I.E. Police Officers, Fire Departments, and school teachers?

May 26, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  38. Larry of VA

Can someone please explain to me (in simple terms) why the Clinton camp did not make an argument last year with regards to Florida & Michigan...Why are they making an argument over an issue that should have been addressed when it was first broached? Are the Clintons really concerned about Florida and Michigan votes being counted now? Just a question....

May 26, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  39. Tracey - Boston

Do you believe that we used to make veterans wait up to 20 years for benefits??? That was a big issue after WWI

May 26, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  40. Joe

GI Bill – Bush/McCain do not like the Webb-Hagel bill. I guess some Republicans believe there CAN be too much support for our troops.

May 26, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Claire in Birmingham, AL

Carla... He'll probably shrug and go "oh well" since he's got this in the bag basically anyways.

May 26, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  42. Kathy

Cynthia is certainly correct. He was the underdog at the beginning of all this. Her campaign misplanned.

May 26, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  43. sam

Megan, it's because PR has 55 delegates that will go to the Dem convention which are decided by the results of the Primary. Even though the people can't vote in the general election, their delegates will help pick the candidate.

May 26, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Sara, Oklahoma

Jolene- I also give kudos to the storm chasers around here. I had a professor from Mississippi that said Oklahoma weathermen freakout about the littlest storms, but I am glad they do. I'd rather have too much coverage of storms, than none at all.

May 26, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  45. Jana, Indiana

I think our veterans deserve anything that we can give them for their service either overseas or here protecting our country.

May 26, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  46. EJ

"What will Obama do when Hillary wins BIG in PR??"

Win the nomination?

May 26, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Stacy

I don't understand how anyone can say they support the troops and not support Webb's GI Bill. Nothing should be too good for our troops.

May 26, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Jolene

Is that a surprise that the GI Bill hasn't kept up with today's costs? Even if it could, it seems like it would take a long time and a lot of red tape to get anything changed.

May 26, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Happy Memorial Day.
    It's great to see your political coverage again–I don't follow it as much on the weekend.
    I hope this Spring of ongoing tornadoes isn't a sign of the hurricane season to come.

May 26, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  50. CaseyJPS - California

JoAnn>I believe HRC was the candidate of choice from the beginning. Any candidate that appears that strong at the start can only go one direction (down). I wish she had started further back in the pack and worked toward the top–she'd be in a better position now.

May 26, 2008 at 10:15 pm |