May 26th, 2008

Erica News Note

I was checking the headlines on my husband’s BlackBerry yesterday on our way back into the City. We wanted to know who won the Indy 500, but before I could get to the news on Scott Dixon, I had to click on this headline: Boeing 747 splits in two on runway

WHAT?!?

How could this happen? Four of the five crew members on board were injured, but incredibly, the plane didn’t catch fire. It’s a little eerie, all the same.

__________

In Iraq, a frightening discovery: teenagers forced to train with insurgents, learning to attack Iraqi security forces. News that is especially disheartening on Memorial Day. When I saw the headline, I immediately thought of the children forced to fight against their will in so many conflicts in Africa…some as young as seven or eight. I wish I knew what made people so sick that they believed training children to kill was a good idea.
__________

I know I mentioned the iReport Memorial Day gallery on Friday – in case you missed it, here’s the link again. I also wanted to let you know about some new resources on CNN’s Impact Your World page, allowing you to reach out to US veterans and their families.

Filed under: Erica Hill
  1. Vilmarie

Happy Tuesday Erica!

Hope you had a nice weekend. How great that you went away from the weekend. I hope I can manage a good weekend getaway for my birthday July 10th. All work and no play makes me dull.

V.

May 27, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  2. Vivian Paul

Why I am NOT a Republican

Terrorism? Maybe if we did not tell others how to live their lives and what religion to follow, we would not be considered arrogant and hated throughout the world! Perhaps, not even attacked.....

Arrogance? What about Religion, Gay Marriage and Abortion? Who are they to cast stones?!!

Taxes? People would not mind paying taxes if:
    . the percentage paid was equal for all tax paying citizens
    . the money was spent here to improve the living conditions for our citizens, such as healthcare, roads, hunger, jobs, housing and schools instead of being spent on war.

Jobs: Shipped overseas when people here are unemployed! **&%$#$%&&

Immigration: Will correct itself and people will stop coming here anyway since the country is financially in the "toilet" and run by a bunch of prejudice jerks!

The price we pay: Insurance, medicine, childcare, gas, food, heating and cooling and housing, need I say more?!

I am angry at our countries situation, but I am more aggravated at ourselves for standing by and letting our government and ruthless Corporations get away with this. Why are we not like the previous generations? Why are we not taking a stand and protesting this? Imagine what would happen if we did not go to work to protest gas prices? If truckers stopped driving, people stopped buying, most nurses and Physicians stopped working, schools closed, banks closed, hospitals shut down except for critical situations, mail stopped running, etc. Imagine if only for a week we stood united to take a stand? Enough is enough!

May 27, 2008 at 11:52 am |
  3. Alice Williams

I saw a picture on the internet of Warren Jeffs kissing a twelve year old girl. I find it outrageous that the court would even consider returning the children of this group until they take down the pictures of this predator from little girls walls. What kind of Kool-aid would make parents yield their children to this monster ?

May 27, 2008 at 11:49 am |
  4. Lilibeth

Hi Erica, just got back from the long holiday weekend to visit friends in Grass Valley, CA. Yeah, I saw the airplane you were talking about on TV. I just keep asking myself, "What will we see/hear next?" First, we hear of pieces falling off a plane. Now this. These airplane stories just keep getting scarier and more bizarre each time.

Those Iraqi teenagers...that was a heartbreaking story. After reading that, I asked myself if I were them, what would I do? What would happen if I tried to escape? I'd be killed either way. Stories like this give me a harsh reality of what people in other parts of the world go through. The saddest part is I feel like there's nothing I can do to change their situation.

This weekend in Grass Valley, the downtown area was decked in American flags for the Memorial Day parade and festivities. I hope we all remember and honor our troops, past and present, not only on Memorial Day but on every day of the year.

Thanks Erica and see you later.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

May 27, 2008 at 10:14 am |
  5. Julie San Diego, CA

The world mourns the passing of Sydney Pollack, Oscar winning director (Tootsie, Out of Africa, The Way We Were), film actor, and a guy nice enough to strike up conversations with ordinary folks like me.

How are your tomatoes doing, Lorie Ann?

May 27, 2008 at 9:54 am |
  6. varghese yohannan

Hiiii, all the troops those who are fighting for the freedom of our country. no matter what happens in the election, you all remembered in my prayers. I honor all of you . God bless you all .

May 27, 2008 at 3:31 am |
  7. varghese yohannan

I was going thru all the negative thoughts about HILLARY. She is my candidate. Because she is the only one can overcome Mccain in the general election. Sen.Obama knows only to talk, even when he talk he has stop and go type talk. He is not telling the truth. More over I do not wish to take away the good things that Bill Clinton did for this country. And I am sure Hillary can bring the same to our country. Hey you fools ourt there, why you do not want see a "WOMAN PRESIDENT" . Hey you fools out there, whey don't you understand that the republicans do not want to see Hillary going againt Mccain, . You really think Obama can win againt Mccain. No way" . Obama is a child in the politics. HIs wife just started to be proude of this country now becuase he is winning. Please do not hate Hillary because she is couragious and smart. Hey you fools out there do not name the white house in a different name when everything is over!. Atleast you feel that you are proude of your country even when obama's wife started saying that.

May 27, 2008 at 3:26 am |
  8. Sharon

I will also add that when Rush Limbaugh is on your side. and urging people to commit voter fraud, and vote for HILLARY CLINTON of all people then the world has gone topsy turvey. I don't think (mark my words) that poor Senator McCain is going to continue to be the Republican nominee till the end. The Republicans don't like him and I wil not be surprised if they find some way to get their "own "candidate.
    You just wait and see! Hell ,it might even be Hillary! God Forbid.

May 27, 2008 at 2:38 am |
  9. S. Washington

Erica,

My wife have been a fan of yours since we first saw you on TECH TV & we do enjoy the fun that you & Anderson have on the show. I know that this is not a part of your topic but it is somting that is very important to me.

I am shocked at the Mainstream Media and the DNC for their “Appeasement” of Hillary Clinton. Senator Clinton (& Former President Clinton) have been allowed to make statements that “Can, Have, & Will” cause a divide in the Democratic Party which will surely make an almost “Guaranteed victory for the Democratic Party” in November a “Close Call”. Senator Clinton has repeatedly made the argument “If we did this like the Republicans did it…I would already be the nomanee…” This statement alone is a contradiction of her new statement that “We should let every vote count…” (which with her background as an attorney, gives her nothing more than an opportunity to build a case and sway superdelegates as well as un-informed voters and cause more divisive issues at the convention and no one in the Media nor the DNC has taken the actions to stop this “political venim” from spreading. Former President Clinton has resently accused the media of a “Cover up” reguarding her chances of winning the nomination. Hillary Clinton makes the argument that she has the popular vote & we need to count Michigan & Florida for the sake of "not disenfranchising" those states (which now benefit her) but, when she makes the popular vote argument, she discounts the "Caucus States" (which by HER Standards is Disenfranchisement). She has also made the statement that she has won the "Big States", which implies that the other states do not count & she has gotten a pass on this repeatedly.

This leads me to my conclusion that this is the political Appeasement of Hillary Clinton.

(SHE IS ALLOWED TO STAY IN THE RACE THAT SHE CANNOT WIN AND CAUSE DIVISION IN THE PARTY THAT CAN CAUSE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY A LOSS IN NOVEMBER). APPEASMENT!!!

Senator Clinton has stated “she would work her heart out for the nominee…”

It is time for her to show that these were not “just WORDS”!!!

S. Washington
    Former Clinton Supporter & Advocate for Fairness.

May 27, 2008 at 1:04 am |
  10. Bren from Atlanta

Hey Anderson and Erica, the solution to Vaseline in the hair is baby powder. My daughter got into Vaseline, totally coating herself, hair and room. The next nite did it with Johnsons baby powder. Did the trick when I washed her and the room.
    Bren, Atlanta

May 26, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  11. Christy

I wish Hillary Clinton and her husband realize their time is up. She needs to drop out now and let Obama go ahead and try and connect with the white working class she has a report with. I used to respect her, but after showing her true charactier in this race..it has turned me off to the Clintons. Obama has constantly taken the high road and that is getting him ahead in this race.

May 26, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  12. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Erica,
    A Boeing 747 that cracks in half like an egg? Not a good day to instill big time confidence in the public's mind...Hope you had a relaxing Memorial Weekend. All my thoughts and prayers go with the troops, present and past on this Memorial Day. I thank them all.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

May 26, 2008 at 9:39 pm |
  13. winfridah

happy memorial day! first I love your motto, "be honest... and let the story reveal itself." My point is, America and the civilized world is always slumming the Middle East and Africa for news filtering and media bias, but I am sorry I am witnessing the same trends here. The journalism ethics are that you report and inform people, but what I am seeing are opinionated reports making the media. e.g, Hillary mention of Robert Kennedy, so much for critical thinkers. I think it was over exaggerated, why not let the people draw conclusions, than thinking for them. Another issue is on the veterans incentives; is it not sure for any job, you get pension according to the number of years you put in a service? Now what is wrong with the bill McCain is backing? Of course one paper in NY failed to mention it, and was sure enough to condemn the bill that failed to pass ,but because it was backed by the candidate they are supporting, they let the public know. The failed bill suggests equal pay for all Veterans in disregard of how long they have saved. Please say it as it is, than putting mathematical traits to everything. Bravo to all veterans!

May 26, 2008 at 7:30 pm |
  14. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Hey, Hey Erica!
    An aircraft split in half is really freaky esoterically speaking.. Amazingly nobody was hurt.?
    Thanks for working on memorial day!
    YOU are a super trooper! (just a little punny for the holiday)
    God bless all our super troops today~

May 26, 2008 at 7:13 pm |
  15. Annie Kate

Erica,
    Airplanes that split into don't exactly fill one with confidence in flying especially if you are nervous about it to begin with. I did think in the story that when they said the airplane was extensively damaged the statement was just a little redundant.

Hope you and your family had a good memorial day weekend!

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

May 26, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar

Hello Erica and Anderson,
    We honor our troops of war, who died our lives, I am thankful for that! They were our heroes........ Please bless them to safe our troops.
    I like to say Happy Memorial's Day to you and Anderson..... and I will join in AC 360 tomorrow night..... see you tomorrow night! Take Care......
    Megan D.