May 22nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 5/22/08

Another pastor and another political problem. When evangelical minister John Hagee endorsed Sen. John McCain it was no secret that was Hagee is controversial. He's called the Catholic Church "the great whore" and a "cult." But today, after a recording of Hagee saying Hitler had been fulfilling God's will surfaced McCain rejected Hagee's endorsement. What impact will this have on his campaign? We've got the raw politics.

Also tonight, a huge victory for the parents of Warren Jeffs' polygamist sect. A Texas appeals court said there wasn't enough evidence to support the initial claim of abuse and the state should never have taken children from the ranch. So what happens to them now?

CNN Sr. Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin has been following this story from the beginning and he blogged about the ruling. Jeffrey will be on the program tonight along with Rod Parker who is an attorney for the FLDS church. David Mattingly interviewed a young woman who gave birth while in custody of the state and Anderson will interview a former FLDS member who lived through the 1953 raid.

Please check out a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not.
LINK TO COMMENTS POST

Anderson is anchoring the show from DC tonight but you can catch a glimpse of Erica on the studio web camera. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Karen--Leesburg, VA

Isn't throwing out your sons so there are enough girls to marry abusive?

May 22, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Rose from Southern Calif

Night Anderson love your tie and Ercia take care, have a good evening all.

May 22, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  3. John in SF

Glad you posted that little clip from Ellen - I'd been seeing it all day on other blogs. Too bad he couldn't look her in the eye for most of his "explanation" about denying someone marriage rights. "We share different beliefs" isn't an explanation for setting public policy in a pluralist society.

AND to cap it off, he says "I wish you every happiness." I guess that's every happiness except the happiness of being married.

May 22, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Good night everyone! Thank you for sparing my blood pressure and not sparking intense heated debate. lol 🙂

May 22, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  5. CaseyJPS - California

Thank you for the enlightening perceptions. I always learn so much from the 360 Bloggers. See you Friday (I hope)! 🙂

May 22, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Kathi Mag

Forget the ages of the women. It is my understanding that polygamy is illegal in all 50 states. If the authorities arrested only the polygamists (men married to multiple women, women married to men with another wife) as they should have if polygamy is illegal in TX–then it would make sense to take the children. Were children from monogomous homes taken? If not, what are we talking about???

May 22, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Marie Lussoro and Mom

John Hagee 's comment calling the Catholic church " the great whore and cult"" is an offensive to all who live their faith .It's also horrible to say that Hitler fulfilled God's will,this man is either insane or inhumane.McCain supporting this man speaks of this character. These comments and endorsements are dangerous and only spread discord .

May 22, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Thursday evening. Not sure anyone solved the world's problems, but it was a good discussion to read tonight. Night all

May 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Chuck in Alabama

Night All. Good show, good blog.

May 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  10. EJ

GREAT show tonight Anderson! Actually so was yesterday's. Have a great night!

May 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, Ohio

Good night Anderson, Jeff, and everyone! Have a great night!

May 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Kayle

I know in some states if your parents sign the licens you can get married under the age of 18. Is that possible with the sect?

May 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  13. ericacnn

have a good night, everyone...see you FRIDAY!

May 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar

Good night Erica, Anderson and Bloggers!!!
    sleep tight!!!!! See you next Tuesday! I have good time with you tonight,
    I have planning out for tomorrow and weekend, I will be back next Tuesday night!

May 22, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  15. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

I am not a McCain supporter but I am actually happy that he didn't totally embarrass himself on Ellen today 🙂

I hope he learned something from it.

May 22, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  16. DeniseGA

@ Kim

Thanks! I did not know that, I assumed they had someone authorized to perform ceremonies. I must admit, I haven't followed that closely!

May 22, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  17. Kim

Great discussion on the blog and very interesting show tonight!
    Thanks everyone and good night Anderson, Erica and fellow-bloggers 🙂

May 22, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Jolene

Well, I could talk about politics and polygamy all night. Great discussions tonight. Nite all. Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend, mine starts early.

May 22, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Chanel

Whooo Ellen got really choked up on that interview. I agree with Ellen 100% Telling gays that they should be satisfied with a contract is like saying "you can ride the bus, but sit in the back"

May 22, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Zenta, New York, NY

Good show tonight. Have a lovely night, Anderson, Erica, and all!

May 22, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Carmen, Marina, CA

Is the wool being pulled over our collective American eyes by the soft-spoken, doe-eyed FLDS women? Mary Mackert is showing a whole other side of the story. Again, where does the separaton of church and state lie? Certainly, when any law of the land is broken as in pedophilia.

May 22, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Katt in FL

Everyone that has left the FLDS has the same stories of abuse and arranged marriages of young girls to older men. Why weren't these women brought in to testify in court about their treatment when they were at the FLDS compounds?

May 22, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  23. deborah,OH

Night all. See you tomorrow. EXCELLENT blogging tonight.

May 22, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Chanel

I don't know WHAT to believe about the FLDS anymore. Who's lying, the parents or the state? Everything is so cloudy and their way of life is so different from the majority that I don't think we'll ever really know.

May 22, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  25. mary

Chanel, I think you're "right on" about Obama having the superior foreign policy that if fully explained should appeal to Jewish voters too.

May 22, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  26. Jolene

Exactly what is the meaning of a "good man" anyways? Sounds like hogwash to me.

May 22, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  27. Cynthia

I agree with Debra. We really don't know what is going on there.

May 22, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Bri from Denver

well put carmen, I agree

May 22, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  29. Angel

Did she just say she prostituted herself to get to heaven?

May 22, 2008 at 10:53 pm |