May 21st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 5/21/08

We start tonight with fighting words from Sen. Hillary Clinton and perhaps a new endgame. Today she told the Associated Press she'll take her campaign all the way to the convention. She's now talking about a floor fight to seat delegates from Florida and Michigan if she loses a party ruling late next week.

Down in Eldorado, Texas, child welfare workers were turned away from Warren Jeffs' Yearning for Zion ranch. They were trying to investigate reports that children remain inside the polygamist compound but sect members said the agency didn't have a search warrant. David Mattingly was allowed in through and he's keeping them honest. You can read about what's going on in court in this dispatch.

Forty dead young men across the country. Smart, popular, promising students found drowned and at place where they fell into the water a smiley face. Is it coincidence or the sign of a team of serial killers? Randi Kaye investigates. Check out her blog for a sneak peek.

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Teresa

@ Kathy, Chicago: " Who do you dare trust anymore?"

The answer is no one.

May 21, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  2. cory,fl

since everyone is so pro obama, answer me this, the media, the web, and everyone else say hillary cant win, yet she still gets alot of votes and wins states, so what are the people tell us and everyone

May 21, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Angel Manners

Megan, maybe the smiley face is his favorite emoticon

May 21, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, Ohio

I disagree with the authorities; I think these murders were committed by someone with more than average intelligence.

May 21, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  5. Jason-Riverview, FL

xtina, chicago I think You said it best.... The Superdelegates are a JOKE... Howard Dean should Be FIRED...if this was a business... He would have being let go LOOOOOONG time ago. This is his mess and use of superdelegates is rediculous. It should be a WINNER take all system....

May 21, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  6. April in Texas

Those Hillary supporters casting a vote for McCain is just weird. That goes against what she says to you in her rallys and such. Those that say this I wish you would just stay home.

May 21, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Cynthia

Julliet Obama supporters would support Senator Clinton if she is the nominee and won it in a fair manner.

May 21, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  8. CaseyJPS - California

Anderson>Will Randi keep on the "Smiley Face" killings? I'd really like to see timely reports on any developments.

May 21, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  9. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

that last show with the moonlight on the smiley face was creepy....hope I don't have nightmares tonight

May 21, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  10. Sharon from Indy

When your children leave home it always seems like parents are more scared for their daughter's safety. I guess I will be sitting down with my 18 year old before he leaves for college this fall.

May 21, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse NY

This smiley face thing makes you wonder how many serial killers are out there right now that we don't even suspect.

May 21, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Jolene

We talk about how people won't admit they are racist or sexist yet most of the voters say they want "change". Most people don't like change or at least it takes them awhile to accept change.

May 21, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  13. xtina, chicago

Who would've thought a year ago that Hillary would be an "underdog" ?!

May 21, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Julliet

Jason, Obama supporters will eventually support Hillary if she were the nominee. But some Hillary supporters say will never support Obama WV voters made that clear, now why is that?

May 21, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  15. CaseyJPS - California

Megan Dresslar>I have a theory about that "evil" smiley face and I'm guessing that the face is key to the killer's thoughts.

May 21, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Sharon from Indy

If this "Smiley Face" man is a narcissus, tonight's CNN report by Randi Kade will have him spinning. Let's hope he acts on his narcissism and does something stupid...like leaving evidence behind to catch this killer.

May 21, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Ariston, Miami Beach I FL

Well, not sure if Barack would be opposed to having HIllary as his running mate. Personally, I think Hillary has too much pride to take the Vp seat. I guess we all will have to wait and see.

May 21, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Rhiannon

This "Smiley Face Killer" thing has shades of John Wayne Gacey or Jeffery Dahmer to me. If there is a link to the gay community why is it not being alerted?
    Rhiannon
    Little Rock, AR

May 21, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Stephanie in WV

Mike in NY you are right! The amzing thing about the US is that even though we are all different, we stick together when it matters. I think it is far past the time to focus on gender, ethnicity, religion, etc. and get down to the real issues and crisis in our country.

May 21, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Kathy, Chicago

Yikes! This story makes me want to keep my twins home. They are now 21 and want to venture out into the world. Who do you dare trust anymore?

May 21, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  21. Rose from Southern Calif

If there is more then one serial killers why is the media not warning colleges students across the states? Or are the police not sure of this trouble crime yet?

May 21, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  22. Cynthia

I agree with David in NC that Senator Obama would have withdrawn long ago or been kicked out long ago when they saw realistically that he could not win.

May 21, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  23. Jason-Riverview, FL

Lastnight...the media went along with SEN Obama with " giving him this victory coverage..He won the Most delegates...the winner coverage"... yet people in MO, SD and PR have not had their voices heard. The people in FL and MI are dissenfranchised over 2million...yet for the most part the MEDIA bought into the Obama stratergy by crowning SEN Obama the winner.

This is the reason why SEN CLINTON's Supporter are are dug in by NOT supporting him IF he is Nominated by the DNC on May 31st. Most of us are joining the moving IF he is nominated by the DNC/Superdelages to WRITE SEN Clinton's Name on the Ballot come NOVEMBER 2008.

May 21, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar

What up with smiley face? what that mean..... that mean kill all boys r man..........

May 21, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Melissa

I live in Iowa and the fact that they found that "evil" smiley face message here really creeps me out.

May 21, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Jolene

Sad story about Chris Jenkins. I was a party animal in college also but I always had a buddy with me. It's interesting how they are all college men who were drinking heavily. A tip coming from someone in prison seems odd also. I hope they find the killer(s).

May 21, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Stephanie in WV

These smiley face murders are so frightening to think about. It is a shame that these city police don't investigate more thoroughly. If they had or actually utilized the FBI database perhaps they would have been able to link these killings sooner. It is a dangerous world out there and the audacity of someone to take a life is sickening.

May 21, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  28. EJ

"I thought serial killers stay in one place?"

Not always. Some of them cross the country looking for victims.. like Bundy.

May 21, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  29. Joseph Kowalski, North Huntingdon, PA

Obama has already secured the majority of pledged delegates and the super delegates won't vote against that because it would cause the party to blow apart. So, I suggest seating FL and MI as they are. The candidate is chosen be the delegate count not the popular vote.

After this election, the Democrats should change the way they select a candidate. It should always be the popular vote.

It should be the popular vote in the general election also.

May 21, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  30. Claire

I'm not a big fan of Webb. Soemthing about him is kinda creepy. I think Richardson or Biden might be a good choice.

May 21, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  31. David NC

I think if the tables were turned Barack would have withdrawn long ago. He is intelligent enough to know the damage that would be done to the Democratic party by forcing the issue.

May 21, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

Casey – I would love to see Barack pick Colin Powell as his VP but that will never happen. Other choices would be Wesley Clark (Hillary supporter), Jim Webb, Chuck Hagel, or the Governor of Kansas – Sibelious (sp?).

May 21, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Casey JPS, I can understand what you say, but a vote against Obama does not mean people are afraid of change. Not one candidate can say for sure they will be able to change a thing. I think people vote for their choice for many reasons. I think everyone wants change but just believe in getting it with other candidates, besides Obama. Your point is taken though.

May 21, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  34. Tyler, Canada

Casey, anyone but Kerry! I think Clinton would be a good choice, but can see Obama's arguments against it. (he's spent the campaign positioning her as anti-change).
    I'd personally like to see Edwards or Richardson as VP.

May 21, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  35. xtina, chicago

It's as if the Democrats are saying to the MILLIONS of voters: "thanks for playing – but the superdelegates are smarter than you..."

May 21, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Susan

I don't understand why Hillary Clinton is so worried about seating delegates from Mi and FL; she signed an agreement a year ago stating that votes from these two states don't matter.
    If I lived in anyone of them, I'd be furious she is only using my vote to her benefit. It shows she can go back on her word in a heartbeat.

May 21, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  37. Patty

Hillary staying in speaks to her tenacity and her ability to fight hard for the job and what she believes in. She is a great role model for women and men alike.

May 21, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  38. maggie

I am so done with Hillary. As a white woman I started out in her camp, but she gets more and more bizarre with manipulating. Obama seems level headed and speaks sense. I don't think I could ever vote for her any more.

May 21, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  39. martha

if hillary was leading in the pledge delegates, she would not care about fla or michigan, she's only pushing this because she is behind. they all signed a pledge that any state that went b 4 feb 5th would not count. now she wants to change because she is losing

May 21, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Rose from Southern Calif

The forty men that they found drowned, where they gay? Or just in the wrong place in the wrong time? I thought serial killers stay in one place?

May 21, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  41. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

I think that there should be regional primaries/caucuses as the issues of one state will differe from another. At the same time, it does not give too much weight to any one state like our current system.

May 21, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  42. EJ

Obama needs to pick a Webb, a Clark, or a Richardson. Webb is the best pick.

May 21, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  43. Trenese

I just hope the DNC does not insult my intelligence by seaitng the delegates when it no longer matters... My fellow Hillary supporters it is amazing how we are all not being takin seriously. All you hear is he has 5 months to work it out. It will all be okay. Well 17M voted for Hillary. I hope we all stand up and do what is right. If Hillary has to sit home on the couch, Obama needs to be there also. Don't believe the hype from our party...think for yourself. McCain is not the average Rep.

Hillary/Rendall '08
    or
    McCain/Christ '08

May 21, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  44. Claire

I have to agree with you Ellen S. that is an important issue. Not only will a conservative justice help overturn Roe but they can also help overturn laws that help out other minorities and gays. It's a scary thought. I really don't want to be back in the dark ages.

May 21, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Mike, Syracuse NY

One of the things that bothers me most about all of this is the visciousness already apparent on all sides. Whoever wins will face a divided country. We are all Americans first before being Democrats, Republicans or Independents. We all want a strong, prosperous country. Our strategy on how to get there differs, not the goal.

May 21, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Sharon from Indy

I think the Warren Jeff has built his own Babylon.

May 21, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  47. cory,fl

Anderson good show tonight

May 21, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Stephanie in WV

I know they're worried about the FLDS hurting thier own children but how closely are they monitoring the foster care system? Sometimes it is even worse.

May 21, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  49. EJ

Hi Anderson! It's always nice to see your face.

May 21, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Ariston, Miami Beach I FL

EJ,

I agree with you. Why should hair matter? If CNN took gray hair into consideration, what would have happened to Anderson?

I think Charlie Christ would be one of the best contenders for the VP seat. I think it's highly unlikely for him to accept it though.

May 21, 2008 at 10:31 pm |