May 21st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 5/21/08

We start tonight with fighting words from Sen. Hillary Clinton and perhaps a new endgame. Today she told the Associated Press she'll take her campaign all the way to the convention. She's now talking about a floor fight to seat delegates from Florida and Michigan if she loses a party ruling late next week.

Down in Eldorado, Texas, child welfare workers were turned away from Warren Jeffs' Yearning for Zion ranch. They were trying to investigate reports that children remain inside the polygamist compound but sect members said the agency didn't have a search warrant. David Mattingly was allowed in through and he's keeping them honest. You can read about what's going on in court in this dispatch.

Forty dead young men across the country. Smart, popular, promising students found drowned and at place where they fell into the water a smiley face. Is it coincidence or the sign of a team of serial killers? Randi Kaye investigates. Check out her blog for a sneak peek.

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. cory,fl

Lisa, about the FL vote, yes they broke the rules but if you live in Florida than you know that the Republican party run the state senate and is governor, they moved up the date, why would they care about democratic rules, so why should we be punished for what they did, if you feel the way you do then don't vote cause everyone votes should count

May 21, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Jolene

Well, needless to say, I will be VERY disappointed if the DNC Rules Committee doesn't come to an agreement on 5/31 over the MI and FL votes.

May 21, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  3. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

"I beg to ask if the tables were turned and Hillary was leading would we be having these argument." – Juliet

IMHO, they would have forced Barack out well before now, especially the media.

May 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  4. Cynthia

A lot of people are saying that Senator Clinton will win against Senator McCain. If that is the case then the same could be said of Senator Obama. We are all Democrats.

May 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar

right on! Megan O. I agree with you...... 😉

May 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  6. Minou, New York City

Stephanie: I agree! Same day and as late as possible.

May 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Sharon from Indy

I really dislike the term, "Rust Belt" for the Great Lakes region. Yes, our states' past were dominanted by the auto industry, but we have moved on. Take another look, one of those Rust Belt cities, my home town, is getting the Super Bowl in 2012.

May 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  8. andersoncnn

good evening folks.. sorry for not logging on sooner... a lot of running around tonite..

May 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  9. CaseyJPS - California

In the context of this particular race, Clinton has emerged as the "establishment" candidate, not the change candidate. Relative to where the psychie (sp?) of the country is currently, Obama simply matches the moment.

The hump to getting Obama elected, at least in terms of the popular vote, can be boiled down to those who desire change vs. those who fear change.

May 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  10. ericacnn

hmmm...thanks for the tip on the live cam, jennifer - passing it on

May 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Kathy, Chicago

Doesn't there seem to be a lot of Jessups in this group?

May 21, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Joseph Kowalski, North Huntingdon, PA

Hillary Clinton can claim to be in the lead or make any other ridiculous statement but the DNC rules state that the candidate with the most delegates wins and that's Obama even if Florida and Michigan are counted as they are.

May 21, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  13. Cynthia

The one concern that I do have about the Florida vote is that people were told that their votes would not count and a lot of the people did not go out to vote.

May 21, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  14. Casey

In your opinion, who do you feel would be a better V.P. for Sen.Obama. Hillary Clinton or John Kerry? If neither, than who?

May 21, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  15. CaseyJPS - California

When elected, Obama's (entire) name and his background will signal to the rest of the world we are serious about changing. The world will see an entirely new face (not just another white guy with a mindset of superiority) and realize we know "we" were wrong with George Bush, really wrong. And no, I wouldn't characterize McCain as having a mindset of superiority but I believe that's the perception of the world.

May 21, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

Putting Hillary on the ticket would take away from the essence of Barack's campaign. He would be better off putting one of her key supporters on instead of Hillary herself.

May 21, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Ellen S.

It's all about CHOICE! Women like me, white, middle aged... will NOT let John McCain nominate a Justice that will overturn Roe v. Wade. We will vote for Obama to ensure that. The Appalachian men - hmmm, I have no clue why any of them are even Democrats!

May 21, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Lucille

I live in Toronto and I am following the Primaries everyday. I am very impressed the way Senator Barack is presenting himself. This Senator has excellent Leadership skills and I would be proud to have him Lead /respresent my country. I am applaud at the behaviour from Senator Hillary when things are not going the way she wants them to go. I have listened to her say Senator Barack does not have any experience and all he has is a speech. she has to remember her husband Bill made a lot of his money from speeches after he tainted the Whitehouse. None of the canidates running for the president's role has the Commander in Chief experience. First Lady in the Whitehouse is not Commander in Chief

May 21, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Stephanie in WV

This whole MI, FL would be avoided if we just held all the primaries on the same day like the general election. Not to mention we save millions of tax dollars, fuel, etc. with all the campaiging. Maybe the DNC and GOP will learn a lesson from this mess.

May 21, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar

I'm glad Ted Kennedy already go home from hospital today......

May 21, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Carmen, Marina, CA

It would be enlightening if CNN spelled out explicitly and in detail EXACTLY what FL and MI agreed to and what all the DEM candidates agreed to. I have heard so many conflicting stories about this, that information based on "real" data would be most helpful at this point. How about it AC?

May 21, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, Ohio

Chuck in Alabama; Hi! As I recall Obama sent his cronies up to Michigan to discourage the legislature there to do a re-vote. I guess that is his definition of "doing right" by the voters.

May 21, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Vilmarie

If Barack wins the Democratic nomination, I believe he will lose against McCain. If Hillary wins, she will beat McCain.

May 21, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  24. CaseyJPS - California

An Obama/Clinton ticket covers all the bases, hands down.

May 21, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Tracey - Boston

Oh no. The Webcam is broken.

😦

May 21, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

It was so nice to see Ted Kennedy walking out of the hospital today.

Senator Byrd had me teary eyed yesterday

May 21, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Julliet

May 21, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  28. cory,fl

why did obama today have a town hall meeting near orlando but only invited obama supporters, no one else got in unless they had an invite, yet he asked questions from the public, the public that already loved him, why isnt that getting any tv time

May 21, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

Cynthia – that is exactly what Barack has stated. One of my problems with Hillary's actions today is that it seems as though she is trying to do an end-around the DNC's upcoming meeting on May 31. To me, it is like she is trying to place herself above the party.

May 21, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  30. Rick in Az

As an independent voter I do hope the Hillary Clinton supporters understand that if she manages to help the Democrtats lose in November that Republicans will be in the white house for another 8 years. I really don't see Obama losing this election and his supporters (Especially the African American community) voting for her 4 years from now.

May 21, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  31. Rose from Southern Calif

Kim...Just vote for Ron Paul he is a Republican. I rather wish that you will vote Democrat, I don't want to hear any complaints from those who vote Republican if they don't get the candidate they want.

May 21, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  32. EJ

"If he picks Governor Charlie Crist it will be a lot of white hair in the White House. If he picks Romney or Huckabee, case closed. It�s a good year for the Dems."

Crist is only 51. His hair wouldn't matter. 🙂

May 21, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Ariston, Miami Beach I FL

RE: Smiley face killers

How is the FBI involved with this case?

May 21, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, Ohio

I like Bobby Jindal for McCain's VP choice. He is smart and young and has done a lot for Louisiana. He would be a smart choice. I like Charlie Crist, but, no offense to Anderson, two gray heads on the same ticket may not be a good thing.

May 21, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Mike, Syracuse NY

Casey, With an Obama/Clinton ticket they'd need to move 2 more desks into the oval office. One for Hillary and one for Bill.

May 21, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Fay, CA

Judging by the comments here, if Hillary were Obama's vp choice, they'd still vote for McCain or not vote at all which is completely bizarre. Jeffrey Toobin has a very scary article in the New Yorker about what a McCain presidency would do to the Supreme Court–anyone seriously considering voting for him would do well to read it.

May 21, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  37. EJ

"I wish John McCain could get Colin Powell as his running mate."

Powell is very enthusiastic about Obama's campaign.

May 21, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Erica,
    I guess it won't be glitch-free tonight. The live video is frozen; been that way for a few minutes. Might need another upload? I don't know.

May 21, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Cynthia

I agree with Megan about it being the Dems to loose

May 21, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Linda, Los Angeles

Putting Clinton on the ticket takes away from the Obama brand. He has a hard choice to make.

May 21, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Lisa

I agree with Eric. As a FL voter, I am furious that the primary was moved up when it was known in advance that it would disenfranchise the voters. It was not any candidate's doing, and rules are rules. The votes should NOT be considered at this point.

May 21, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Shontell from Michigan

Hillary Clinton as Vice President? I am not sure that she would accept, but it would be interesting to see how she repsponds to the offer.

May 21, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  43. yassine from morocco

if the dnc take any unfair decision ,what i mean about unfair is anything that would change the actual senario ,cause rules are rules and those state didn't stick to the rules .the dnc will just look like the republican party bottom line.

May 21, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  44. Mike, Syracuse NY

I'm not a HRC supporter, but her toughness has impressed me. I think she could be a competent president. Not as good as McCain of course! Obama is just to holigraphic. He looks good, no substance.

May 21, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  45. April in Texas

As an Obama supporter he would lose my vote if Hillary is his VP. I willl not vote for her period. As a heartbeat away from the presidency she is polar opposite of everything that atracted me to Obama. This would go against morals and values I want to instil in my children. No way will I vote for Hillary as the VP.

May 21, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  46. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I blame Hillary for not fighting harder BEFORE the primaries in FL and MI. If she had real issue with this she should NOT have signed the pledge

May 21, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Chuck in Alabama

OK, Gloria, we get it. You don't want a Obama/Clinton ticket because you know it will win.

Anderson, don't ask those sort of questions to panelist who are biased against Clinton.

May 21, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Jennifer in DC

Sarah, I'm not in any way suggesting that they shouldn't count, but I don't think they can count as they do now. It's true, he removed his name, but that doesn't change the fact that his supporters couldn't vote for him. If her supporters count, his should too.

May 21, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  49. Mark

Is Obama not also a "polarizing figure"?

May 21, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, Ohio

Jacob; I couldn't agree more! These panel discussions are useless unless both sides are equally represented. Gloria Borger and Katrina have always been against Clinton.

May 21, 2008 at 10:19 pm |