May 21st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 5/21/08

We start tonight with fighting words from Sen. Hillary Clinton and perhaps a new endgame. Today she told the Associated Press she'll take her campaign all the way to the convention. She's now talking about a floor fight to seat delegates from Florida and Michigan if she loses a party ruling late next week.

Down in Eldorado, Texas, child welfare workers were turned away from Warren Jeffs' Yearning for Zion ranch. They were trying to investigate reports that children remain inside the polygamist compound but sect members said the agency didn't have a search warrant. David Mattingly was allowed in through and he's keeping them honest. You can read about what's going on in court in this dispatch.

Forty dead young men across the country. Smart, popular, promising students found drowned and at place where they fell into the water a smiley face. Is it coincidence or the sign of a team of serial killers? Randi Kaye investigates. Check out her blog for a sneak peek.

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Fay, CA

The rules committee better make sure that whatever they decide about the Florida and Michigan delegate situation be completely fair or the Dems will have a huge mess on their hands.

May 21, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  2. Jacob

I think it would be appropriate to have a women on your panel to speak of sexism that Hillary has faced that is NOT an Obama supporter. If you have Obama supporters discuss Hillary's assertion of "sexism", than you get a very bias opinion.

I don't agree with the women who is editor of the Nation. She doesn't understand that even some "male" pundits or news hosts have made sexist comments during this campaingn.

May 21, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  3. April in Texas

Taking this to the convention will destroy the party. Those who say I will vote for McCain if Hillary doesnt get the nomination are going against most everything Hillary is for. I can understand not voting for Obama if she loses as that is a choice as I will do the same if roles were switched. I can not vote for Hillary and it has nothing to do with being a woman as I am a woman. By all the polls I should be a Hillary supporter, uneducated 39 female and working class but I am not.

May 21, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  4. Missy

By taking this to the convention, is she trying to help Obama to lose so she can run again in 4 years?

May 21, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  5. CaseyJPS - California

Megan O
    "I just always wonder in the back of my mind how hard Hillary would be fighting for FL and MI if she had not won them"

I think we all know the answer to this, unfortunately. As a predictable politician, it simply wouldn't matter to her.

May 21, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, Ohio

Sarah & Billi; I agree with both of you! I am a registered Independent, but I would very much like to see this go to the convention. I have never seen a nomination fought out there, but I think that it would be interesting to see.

May 21, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  7. Jennifer - Michigan

Hi Anderson and Erica,
    Good show tonight. I'm glad to be with you on the blog tonight.

May 21, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Joseph Kowalski, North Huntingdon, PA

Clinton wants the rules changed to her benefit and if she takes this to the convention, it will split the Democratic party. And I think she'd be fine with that because it would set her up for a 2012 run.

May 21, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Sarah in Tampa

@ jennifer in DC – Obama's name wasn't on the ballot cuz he took it off.

And, he would not go along with a re-vote, so are we to simply just disenfranchise that entire state as democrats?

May 21, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  10. Chuck in Alabama

On 30 September 2007, Obama told a reporter from the Tampa Tribune that he would "do right by Florida voters."

May 21, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  11. Jason-Riverview, FL

Mike (Syracuse)...what about our own people in the African-American community... There are MANY saying they will only vote for Barrack Obama because he is BLACK... Why doesn;t SEN Obama tell these people NOT to vote for him.

The people VOTE who they want for. The RULES were broken by the DNC..they changed the RULES, NOT the people of FLORIDA and Michigan. SEN Obama TOOK his name off the ballot in MICHIGAN and RAN ADS here in FLORIDA when he was NOT suppose to run ADS.

The votes SHOULD stay and count as they were cast; or SEN CLINTON should take this to the convention...We (her supporters) are behind her 100%)

May 21, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  12. Kathy, Chicago

There was an article in the Chicago Tribune on Sun. talking about the media saying horrible things about her. They mentioned Jack Cafferty, Chris Matthews, Kieth Olbermann and others. They hoped she would be run over by a bus and never emerge from a room as well as being called a she-devil. It was pretty ugly.

May 21, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  13. EJ

I'm glad that parts of the media finally focused in on the appalachain issue – regional issue. Barack can get plenty of white voters but it depends on which region of the country.

After reading a blog on Jim Webb today I hope that Barack picks him as VP and that he accepts!

May 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  14. Tracey - Boston

Hey Anderson!!

Wat's with the Happy Face?? It's really scary.

May 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  15. Billi

Clinton supporters feel that Hillary has always been the strong candidate the panel seems to feel she is now. The fact that you are now stating it kind of gives support to the media bias for Obama.

Playing by the rules, Katrina, is a great goal but if you want to really determine who is the better candidate at this point – this very close situation – you need to use all the evidence out there.

Face it, more people voted for Hillary.

May 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  16. Linda, Los Angeles

I would be more impressed if Clinton had not made the comments she did last year and the votes not counting. It just highlights the fact that she is pushing this for her own agenda.

May 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Jolene

Cool! Showing us some VP possibilities. You got me interesting!

May 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

May 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Judi

Hey Anderson, I am a teacher and I am a historian, I live in NY, I like the Clintons, I voted for Obama, and I have to tell you that Hillary it pulling at straws and it is time to let it go. She is doing bad business. It is time to let the dictators go!

May 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

Sexism AND racism have both reared their ugly heads during this campaign. I would contend that we have heard more racially insensitive comments from Hillary and Bill directly than we have heard gender insensitive comments from Barack and Michelle.

May 21, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Rose from Southern Calif

I wish that the Hillary campaign staffs would play "I am women" when Hillary come out to speak at her rallys.

May 21, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  22. CaseyJPS - California

Let's be realistic and move to a more pragmatic perspective. From a marketing perspective, an Obama/Clinton ticket makes perfect sense. They both appeal to opposing demographics and perceptions. The negative to this is that Clinton doesn't communicate change and having President Clinton in the White House, so to speak, would be a challenging dynamic–we already know he has difficulty holding his tongue. Also, the dynamic of the White House has changed considerably in the last eight years which would make President Clinton somewhat of a fish out of water. Just a thought...

May 21, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Angel Manners

Rose, I hear what your saying

May 21, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Joseph Kowalski, North Huntingdon, PA

In the beginning on the primary campaign, Hillary Clinton was okay with not counting Florida and Michigan when she took the role of the presumptive nominee.

May 21, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Linda, Los Angeles

I do have a question though, was the primary the only thing they were voting for in FL and MI on that day?

May 21, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar

I agree with you Sarah in Tampa, Florida........ I am also supporting Hillary Clinton.... I am also huge fan of her!

May 21, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Cynthia

I am sure the Rule Committee will count MI & FL in a manner that is fair to both candidates. They want both the Obama and Clinton camp to that it was done in a fair way

May 21, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Sarah in Tampa

Gloria – you are right – there have been a lot more deplorable comments made towards Hillary than I have heard against obama or mccain.

Your "other" network that starts with an m are the worse offenders (I have stopped watching that network altogether)......

May 21, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I have to say I agree with Hillary to some degree. Sexism is out there and she had it thrown at her a tad too much at times.

May 21, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

I still say that more people dislike Hillary because of who she is rather than her sex!!!

May 21, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Rose from Southern Calif

I am a Hillary support and i will vote for any Democrat no matter who he or she is. We need to sick together as real Dems.

May 21, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Jolene

Hello Bloggers! Hillary needs to state some specific examples of the sexism she's experiences. I can say at least on the internet, I've seen clear examples of sexism towards Hillary.

May 21, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  33. CaseyJPS - California

What happened in Florida and Michigan was agreed on. Both states knew the risks and they were clearly told. They knew what to expect. End of story.

May 21, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Linda, Los Angeles

Hi, I think the race has been both sexist and racist. The difference is that Obama's team tried not to focus on in and Clinton's team wants to highlight it.

May 21, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Bonnie

Tough on Obama–Gloria you make me laugh!!

May 21, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Mike, Syracuse NY

Interesting comment from Clinton. I'd be more impressed if she told her supporters that if they were voting for her based on race she didn't want those votes.

May 21, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Billi

Sarah, me too!

May 21, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Jennifer in DC

I can understand Clinton wanting to count Florida, Obama's name was at least on the ticket there, but I don't see how Michigan can count as it stands now, they couldn't vote for him there.

May 21, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Cynthia

I hope that the votes in Florida and Michigan count as well so there won't be any doubt about who the nominee is.

May 21, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar

I agree with Hillary Clinton we need recount Florida and Michigan..... she said we need more vote counts...........

May 21, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  41. EJ

Anderson is looking good tonight.

May 21, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Minou, New York City

I understand that the party doesn't want to "reward" rule brakers, but in a race this tight, it's prudent to let the votes of FL and MI count.

May 21, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

I really am trying to refrain from negative comments about HRC for fear of being called sexist but when she makes speeches like she did today, it makes it very difficult. This constant pandering and moving the goal posts is crazy!!!

May 21, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Rose from Southern Calif

Hi Anderson what a show tonight.

May 21, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Sarah in Tampa

OMG – I'm so happy if Hillary takes this to the convention. I'm a huge Hillary supporter and I won't vote for Obama, so taking this to the convention is exciting and great to me.

My husband and I waited in line for over an hour to vote, so I sure hope they will count.

May 21, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Mike, Syracuse NY

Greetings Bloggers. Interesting bit of trivia. If you add up the popular vote numbers on the CNN Election Center for both candidates, Clinton leads by 1037 votes counting FL, MI and all the caucus votes. That’s out of 33.8 million votes cast. How much more even can you get?

May 21, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Sarah, Atlanta GA

Sounds like an interesting program tonite, Anderson. I am looking forward to David Mattingly's report.

May 21, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar

Hello Anderson, Erica and Bloggers (all!) !!!!!!
    Happy Wednesday!
    Wow! I am glad Hillary Clinton won in Kentucky last night......... I did watch primary night! 🙂
    My hearts goes out to Ted Kennedy and his wife Vicki and family, he have his brain tumor......

May 21, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. CaseyJPS - California

Greetings from America's Desert Playground 360 Bloggers!

May 21, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Zenta, New York, NY

Good evening, Anderson, Erica, John, and all!

May 21, 2008 at 10:00 pm |