May 20th, 2008

This Just In: Sen. Kennedy Brain Tumor

BOSTON (AP) - Doctors say Sen. Edward Kennedy has brain tumor; condition discovered after he had seizure.

Statement from Dr. Lee Schwamm, Vice Chairman, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Dr. Larry Ronan, Primary Care Physician, Massachusetts General Hospital:

"Over the course of the last several days, we've done a series of tests on Senator Kennedy to determine the cause of his seizure. He has had no further seizures, remains in good overall condition, and is up and walking around the hospital. Some of the tests we had performed were inconclusive, particularly in light of the fact that the Senator had severe narrowing of the left carotid artery and underwent surgery just 6 months ago. However, preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal lobe. The usual course of treatment includes combinations of various forms of radiation and chemotherapy. Decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis. Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol. He remains in good spirits and full of energy."

Filed under: Sen. Ted Kennedy
  1. Joyce-Houston

My prayers are with the kennedy family.
    Ted Kennedy is a very powerful voice in the Democratic party.

May 21, 2008 at 9:31 am |
  2. Pat M

CNN, Melissa's comment above and those similar on other blogs on this topic should out of respect for Ted Kennedy and the Kennedy Family be removed. I am shocked that at such a sad and tragic time you would approve such comments, yet, filter others for less disparaging remarks.

Please do not allow a space where people can convey their caring thoughts and wishes, compassion and respect for a Great Man and Politician to become a vehicle to spew such unwarranted hate and contempt. I believe in Freedom of Speech but at times like these, I believe compassion and respect should supercede priviledges used purely to convey ill will.

May 20, 2008 at 11:54 pm |
  3. Annie Kate

Senator Kennedy has been one of the most effective legislators we have had in many years. I hope he recovers from this tumor quickly and continues to be a contributing member of our legislative process. His wisdom, experience, and compassion are still needed, perhaps more than ever. My thoughts and well wishes to him and the Kennedy clan – the whole family has through their public service done much to enrich our society.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

May 20, 2008 at 8:43 pm |
  4. Scott

I hope he gets better but wish that he step away from politics. Corruption and scandal tend to follow him.

May 20, 2008 at 8:29 pm |
  5. finally going

I concur, he must retire. Term limits for both the house and senate are needed. That amount of time leads to or perpetuates corruption. I can't stand the Kennedy family. Should of, would of, could of....

May 20, 2008 at 8:23 pm |
  6. Maggie Reilley

My heartfelt prayers and best wishes for Sen. Kennedy and his family. He is a fighter and champion for All Amercans with health and disabilities. I know he will get through this and recover! My twins have autism and how wonderful of him and family to start and raise funds for the Buddy program. Quote from him, "sometimes life just breaks your heart", at John Jr. funeral! God Bless You Sen. Kennedy!

May 20, 2008 at 7:55 pm |
  7. janet

google aspartame. . linked to yes, you guessed it brain tumors .. and it's in over 5,000 products we consume every day. .a nd the FDA made it legal. Come on CNN. . it's this a big enough story for you all. . and the work is already done.

May 20, 2008 at 6:30 pm |
  8. Karen

Why wasn't this cancer discovered earlier when he had the carotid artery surgery in October? Could it have been seeded at surgery and began to grow more rapidly? Any doctors here. Wouldn't scans have been done before a carotid procedure?

May 20, 2008 at 5:47 pm |
  9. john orsbun

Although I don't wish him ill, I hope this is Ted's retirement call. 40 years stuffing himself at the public trough is enough for any politician. The longer politicians of either party are in office, the more power, graft and corruption results clings to them. This is a good time to bring up term limits for all federal and state politicians.

May 20, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  10. Missy

I am deeply saddened to hear this. I recall meeting his brother, Robert Kennedy, a year before he was killed in 1968. The Kennedy family has given much to this country.

May 20, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  11. Lee

This kind of news puts the petty partisan bickering and squabbling into perpsective, doesn't it? My thoughts and prayers go out to Senator Kennedy and his family.

May 20, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  12. Melissa

Is this karma for the Chappaquiddick incident? I still can't get over that he did not report it until a day later. I wish ill will on nobody but I have a hard time feeling bad for him since he had no respect for his own campaign worker that died in this incident.

May 20, 2008 at 2:36 pm |
  13. Michelle

God bless the Kennedy family.
    Please do not turn this into an
    ideological conversation. This
    is serious and difficult news.

May 20, 2008 at 2:08 pm |
  14. Gail

How does Senator Kennedy's diagnosis compare to Senator Arlen Specter's? Didn't Senator Specter undergo 2 brain surgeries over the past few years?

May 20, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  15. Cindy

I just saw this on the news. It is extremely sad. I hope that they can treat the malignant tumor and make it go away. Hopefully he will fully recover. My prayers go out to him.

May 20, 2008 at 1:29 pm |