May 15th, 2008

Obama: master of stagecraft

Barclay Palmer
360° Senior Producer

Barack Obama had already seemed to take a page from his forebear on the other end of the political spectrum - yes, Ronald Reagan - by running on a platform of optimism, which he has branded as "change."

And last night, the Illinois Democrat evoked the widely admired stagecraft of the Gipper, who could turn a speech into a celebratory rally timed perfectly for evening newscasts, complete with hundreds of balloons falling from above, and cheering, nearly ecstatic crowds.

Fast forward to Obama last night: he comes bounding in before a roaring crowd. With his slow and pausing manner of speech, which somehow builds rather than depletes the drama, he promises "something special," then introduces John Edwards, who comes bounding in to even greater cheers. What is this, a prize fight?

Edwards, sounding like the party's patriarch and unifier, graciously praises Hillary Clinton, and endorses Obama in what is desisgned to feel like the reassuring and inevitable coronation of a popular crown prince in a troubled kingdom.

Why has it taken a generation for another politician to repeat Reagan's effective form of stagecraft? And is Michael Deaver, credited as Reagan's stagecraft sorcerer, secretly working for Obama from the heavens above? (A fun thought, isn't it?) Or does Obama himself, as many of his supporters believe, have the star power to pull off this kind of event and... just as Reagan did... an election victory?

What do you think? We'd like to know.

Meantime, I'm checking in on Deaver.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Barclay Palmer • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Michelle in CA

It's interesting people criticize Obama for the record breaking crowds that attend his rallies. People go and see Senator Obama speak because he is a phenominal speaker who speaks honestly and powerfully about the needs for change in this country. He has the plans to back that up. Check his website out.

It's also interesting that he is being criticized for having more money than any of the other candidates. Sounds like a case of sour grapes to me. He has more money because thousands of regular people make regular donations to his campaign each month and he is better at organizing grassroots fundraising than any of the other candidates. That's a positive in my book.

People throughout America support Obama because they believe he will follow through on his vow to try as hard as possible to bring grassroots change to the political system and engage the American people in social reforms. Most of his supporters are not blindly following him because of his charisma. Instead, they agree with his ideas and admire his intelligence, character and strength.

Obama 2008

May 20, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  2. taolizzy in NYC

I think it is time WE American start 'reading up'. Go to each of the candidate's sites and ask them questions. Find out where they stand on the issues-i did – if u're lazy, stop reading now...

...it took me 3 days to piece together and compare all the 'issue' and plans and I picked my choice, not based on CNN, MSNBC or even the Colbert Report but based on MY knowledge and research into each of the lives and ASSOCIATIONS of each candidate. YOU should do the same.

As an independent, I find it interesting that Mrs McCain is off limits while Mrs Obama is fair game...

May 20, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  3. beth

Unite this isnt about being Democrat.. THIS IS ABOUT OBAMA WHO IS ASSOCIATED WITH REV. WRIGHT WHO IS A WHITE HATER FOR 20 YEARS.. WHO ASSOCIATES WITH THE TERRORIST AYRES WHO BLEW UP THE PENTEGON.. MY GOD AYRES EVEN HAD HIS CAMPAIGN PARTY AT HIS HOUSE WHEN HE WAS BECOMING SENATE.. THIS IS ABOAT A MAN WHO A REPORTER SNUCK IN TO A CLOSED DOOR FUNDRAISER FOR HIM AND DISCOVERED OBAMA STATING PEOPLE FROM SMALL TOWNS ARE BITTER AND CLING TO GUNS AND RELIGION.. YOU KNOW WHO WAS FUNDING HIM IN THAT CLOSED DOOR FUNDRAISER... BILLIONAIRE MUSLIMS THAT WANT TO TAKE OVER THE UNITED STATES... THIS IS ABOUT A OBAMA THAT HAD TIES TO A SLUM LANDLORD IN HIS DISTRICT THAT WAS GIVEN MILLIONS OF GOVERNMENT DOLLARS TO CLEAN UP THE POOR AND OLD PEOPLE DILAPIDATED APARTMENTS AND HE CONDEMNED THE APARTMENTS AND KEPT THE MONEY.. BUT HE GAVE OBAMA HIS HOUSE AND LAND AT A "DISCOUNT" OF 400 THOUSAND DOLLARS.. THIS IS ABOUT A MAN WITH NO CONSCIENCE AND NO SCRUPLES... YES THIS IS MORE THAN DEMOCRATIC THIS IS ABOUT MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICE OF A MAN THAT IS GOING TO BE THE LEADER OF OUR COUNTRY... A MAN THAT WOULD TURN A BLIND EYE WHILE REZKO ROBBED THE POOR AN OLD BLIND AND PUT THEM OUT ON THE STREET...FOR A PAYOFF OF 400,000.00 A MAN THAT FOR A VOTE WOULD SELL HIS OWN GRANDMA..

May 20, 2008 at 12:33 am |
  4. dana

For all of you, that say Obama has forgotten about WV, well he didn't!
    He knew he was fighting an unhill battle, Bill, Chelsey, Hillary, Oh yeah
    all yall hard-working white, uneducated, blue collar workers. He did stop in and campaign there. Hillary does the same thing, in states she can win like Oregon, she do not show up.

educated in georgia

May 20, 2008 at 12:11 am |
  5. K in Florida

OBTW......I will be voting republican for the first time in my life because my vote doesnt count as a democrat in florida – voters are punished for the representatives we give our trust to represent us. They should be the ones penalized. Not our votes. So I believe we should swing the republican way since they will take our votes without disregarding it. As the ex of a marine, I can support McCain as long as he gives the military better pay, medical and retirement.

May 20, 2008 at 12:07 am |
  6. K in Florida

Black Floridian Teacher and divorced mother voted for Hilary. There are more women than men in this country and much more educated women than men (check your college enrollment and census stats) yet women are paid much less than men despite equal or better education and experience. As you can see by this election, a deep voice and a winning smile is all you need to show who's in charge. How can women ever win? Ladies, get out of college and back into the kitchen. What's the point of going to college if your voice will never be heard? Keep listening to those guys while they move past you in that career and you wonder why you never get promoted. It's not because you weren't tough enough. It's that you have the audacity to think that if you compete on a level playing field you would be given a fair chance. Welcome to the real world. 'nuff said.

May 19, 2008 at 11:58 pm |
  7. Jan

Why shouldn't Obama's wife be a target. They had no problem with going after Bill Clinton. Its the way the democratic race has been done. The news people want Obama so everything has been against Hillary. Even if she won the press talked her down. Now they act like she dont count and her supporters are going to go to Obama when the Republican and Democratic vote. Well I voted for Hillary and I will never vote for Obama I will vote for John Mccain. When Bill made a comment in South Carolina they made it a race thing. Even though the news people and every one will estimate if a state has more blacks its for Obama . Thats no different than the statement Bill made but you dont see anyone calling you'll racist. When they bring up the incedent that happened with Bill and his affair they act like Hillary did it. When they should look at how she handles herself. She shows great strength to forgive and gone on. I wonder if Obama did it how would his wife handle it. I bet she wouldnt. A president should be strong and be able to handle anything and not let it show. When clearly Obama does not have that tact. He shows that it bothered him that they attacked his wife. When you run a country you cant let anything affect your judgement or let anyone get to you or let people see your vulnerability. Hillary would be a better president and people if they vote for Obama or Mccain this country is in for more problems. Everyone liked Bush and look what he did. I truly believe Obama and his wife believe what his paster preached. I believe he is saying what people want to hear. He is a good speaker but that does not mean he would be a good president. Its like a car dealer, you go on a car lot and know what you want and someone comes out and talks you in to something else. Then you get home and it turns out to be a lemon and you cant return it. You are stuck with it. How can you not count Florida and Mich when in the final election you want to count them then. Both canidates did they same thing for both states the votes should stay as they are and should count as they were done. People voted as they wanted Obama should only get what went for him and Hillary should get what went for her. No official should have the right to change that. It was the officials who messed up not the people.

May 19, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  8. Lou, Florida

I'm a proud democrat, but I will never vote for senator Obama, him, his wife and rev. Wright are all alike, the hate white people and they all carry a chip on their shoulders. Senator McCain you have my vote.

May 19, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  9. G. Rodriguez

I realize that for a lot of women, Hillary Clinton represents a final achievement of equality in the political process. I am concerned that disappointment will turn into disillusionment. Please look at the last 8 years. Can you really say that you are better off than you were before. What have the Republicans done for women, the working class family, or those who need a helping hand? What is it that John McCain offers you that would cause you to vote for him? Your political power is in your vote. Please don't use it out of disillusionment. The barrier has been broken.

May 19, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Paul, White voter

Just like Michael Jordan, Bill Russell, Shaq, Ali, and all the other great Black men in this country when Black people excel at something white people started of course they will take a lot of criticism, but in the end the Black guys always come out on top and will be guaranteed to have a bunch of white people cheering them on.

Hillary has admitted that her and Barack agree on most issues. So the one's that say they want vote for him, is saying that because they will not vote for a black man.

Hillary supporter shouldn't brag on winning voters in one of the least educated states in the Union, West Virginia.

Obama 08'/12'

May 19, 2008 at 6:18 pm |
  11. Wesley C. / VA

First i would like to say that I have much respect for HRC. She and her husband has done alot for this country and blacks. But because you have done alot for me, that don't mean that i owe you does it? Barb.....I feel you were buying into that phrase that she used so much to win West Virginia. Which was that Mr Obama can not win the white vote. He would not be where he is today if he didn't have the white vote. You think about that. Kathie/Canada......Last time I checked, it was an American election. Unless you have anything positive to say about our future leaders, keep your negative comments to yourself or your people in your great country. Jan/Wood Dale,IL....Mr Obama has you convinced that he's arrogant. Then what about your girl Mrs Clinton? How much of your own money do you have to spend before you realize that you can't WIN!!!!!!! But that's what happens when you are use to always getting your way. You don't know how to act when someone(meaning the majority of the Dem Party) tells you NO. Nicole/Michigan.....You said you smell more Bush-ism from Mr. Obama? I say blow your nose and take another smell after you do alittle more homework about Mr. Obama!

Now a special thanks goes out to the following for not being biased.
    Brent / Debbie,NJ / Rachel-LV,NV / Vee(STT) / Phil-Cherterton,IN / Jane-Detroit,MI / Cathy /

But to these ladies I Love you dearly for your comments: Jacquelyn George, Linda, Harriet Atkinson.

Also thanks for the positive support from Noel-Toronto,Canada and Gary- Vancouver,Canada.

And to all the other democrats.....If you are really a democrat than don't be mad when your girl is on the side line wishing she was in the game. As a Democrat we all should support the party no matter who the person is as long as he/she repesent our views. I just pray that you all do alittle more research on Mr. Obama. Because you will find that he is the best person to unite this country. He's the best of 2 worlds...mine(black) and yours(white). He can relate to us all not just me or not just you. But us all!!! It will take someone who is mixed to bring us all together. Someone who was born poor and can really understand the real problems of OUR country....THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Please don't forget our last president. And what he stood for and how the country has fallen because of a C student being elected as President. Dr King had a dream...and the dream is NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 19, 2008 at 1:43 pm |
  12. Tina

He has stage presents. He is also smart , to my way of thinking, to ask John Edwards to come along.

I liked Pres. Reagan but didn't care for Nancy to much is all I can remember about that. I was way to young to care about our world problems then. I remember my grandfather saying his pulse rate was the same as Reagans. He was in good shape. I was a 1971 baby.

Hillary sure is quite. What does that mean?

May 19, 2008 at 12:02 pm |
  13. Yolanda

Explain to me like I am 6 year old why we are not talking about Oregon. This state is only 1.9% African American and 85.1% of its population only has a high school education. This would seem to indicate that the majority of the people are 'white blue collar workers'. I can't understand why they are overwhelmingly supporting Obama if he can relate to the 'white blue collar workers'.

May 19, 2008 at 7:58 am |
  14. Gary Louisiana

I am so honored that an intelligent, articulate and more than qualified Black American Male is about to become the first Democratic Nominee for president since the founding of this country. I am a Black American male and a high school music teacher. I can finally tell (all) of my students that they can really be whatever they want to be in this country and world.

GOOOOOOO OOOOOBAMAAAA!!!!!!! 2008

May 19, 2008 at 12:12 am |
  15. Michael

"Linda" I agree with you! I've seen your blog a few times and you are always objective and straight to the point.
    In addition to you comments:

Dear Friends, I wonder why many Americans seems to not think that showing fiscal responsibility, ability build a great coalition among all groups, etc are not true tests of high quality of leadership?

Dear friends, I wonder why a person who is worth over 100 million dollars and wishes to be the next President of USA is proud of and think that it is morally alright to accept donations from Dalton Hatfield, an 11-year-old boy from Kentucky that sold his bike and video game to support her campaign?

Dear friends, I wonder why a person who is worth over 100 million dollars and wishes to be the next President of USA is proud of and thinks that it is morally alright to leave many Vendors that supplied services to the campaign unpaid (included in the 20 MUSD in debt) for so long?

I do not approve of Gov. Romney's politics but at least he had the decency of paying for his campaign costs from his own money.
    Dear friends, I wonder why a person who is worth over 100 million dollars and wishes to be the next President of USA is proud of and think that it is morally alright to exploit the poorly paid, hard working Americans, blue collar workers, who she said so eloquently said that she is their champion?

Dear friends, I wonder why a person who is worth over 100 million dollars and wishes to be the next President of USA is proud to ignore the rules jointly agreed upon by ALL candidates under DNC before the primaries?

Dear friends, I wonder why a person who is worth over 100 million dollars and wishes to be the next President of USA is proud of and think that it is morally alright to exploit the "success" in WV to get donations in order to reduce debts, knowing fully well that based on the rules she can not be the nominee?
    Dear friends where has our commonsense and logics gone?

Ken, Gary, you and many "pro-Clinton" persons are all the time going on all CNN blogs with negative attacks on Obama. It is pity that all you guys know is hate! By the way what is the colour of you heart? I hope it is white so that you can feel on top of the world, and skip this enormous inferiority complex that is driving you guys to be writing such filth on the blog! You know pretty well who and what you represent, don't hide behind! Hillary.
    "Fools Rush in / Where wise men never go……"

May 18, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  16. Michael

Hey if you don't like Sen. Obama, just say it and you don't need to vote for him, but don't try to claim things like "I was a friend of Ronald Regan.." or throw trash at him because that will end up killing you! Sen. Obama will get to where he should be with the help of millions of well minded souls in America who cares about the truth! When the light comes it illuminates the darkness and all the shaddy objects will emerge from the darkness and will be exposed!

SEEING IS BELIEVING AND YOU WILL LEARN THAT WE ARE ALL NOT HERE BY ACCIDENT! You will be free to check out if you don't want to see the truth!

May 18, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  17. beth

This guy tries to be Kennedy, Clinton now Reagan. I'm not impressed. It takes a page from all the Former prsidents and makes it as himself. FAKE. The drama with him is just starting. I don't want Drama. ObAma

May 18, 2008 at 12:48 pm |
  18. Steven

obama now is distributing advertisement picturing a cross in the background and trying to convince the American public of his religious beliefs. What a crock! After all of the Wrights preachings and teachings that Obama has attended for 20 yrs. The hatred towards the white community and the United States, now we should believe he is a loving christian? We, all Americans should now follow Obama on his path to the presidency? Don't forget his middle name is Muslin! and he has followers from Hamad! What does Obama think about Abortion? Gay rights? Gun control? Pledge of
    Allegiance in the schools? In God We Trust on the money we spend?
    Where are the real concrete economy and health issue solutions in his speeches? Its all a show filled with empty words period! He is not ready for this presidency period!

May 18, 2008 at 12:24 pm |
  19. clarity

Brilliant, intelligent, engaing, likeable, trustworthy, optimistic, hardworking, a visionary; all positive qualities a clearing thinking individual would want in a leader.

America has grown accustomed to dumbed down leadership and when a true leader comes along, some miss the point.

May 17, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  20. Adam Powell

Adam Powell

Northern Ireland

This blog sounds like republican racist place to express anger that is coming to reality that African American is close to White House post what you going do do f he becomes president?. Play Robert Mugabe racist game and rename White House to Black house? Come on American we in third world expect USA to be the leader of the world not not follower. You would rather listen to lies like what you where dosed with to destroy Iraq? are you scared of Osma bin laden? who is your real enemy. Why not get united and show leadership instead of hiding behind racisim. Am Kenyan if is important.

May 17, 2008 at 1:25 pm |
  21. verne edward

where is Hiliary Clinton. Many people fail to notice that by focusing his attention on John Mc Cain, and ignoring Senator Clinton, Obama has essentially unified the party behind him, not Hiliary Clinton. And for Mc Cain to respond in the way that he has only exacerbates this process. Good stuff Obama, good stuff.

May 17, 2008 at 10:45 am |
  22. John

I think that a democratic president will be good for the country. The republicans had the white house for 8 years. Look at the country. I was in the military when I voted for Bush. Im sorry I ever did that. I think is time for new blood in washington. Im realy ashamed of this country. Our foreign relations have been flushed down the toilet thanks to Bush, we are fighting a looseing war, hurricane katrina, the bridge callapse., jobs leaveing by the thousands, homelessness is on the rises, the economy, I could go on and on. Thats a failure of our government. And to hear people say they wil vote for Mccain if Clinton doesnt win. Thats CRAZY! That way of thinking is not going to change america, it will just bring us down more. I dont think this country can take another republican in office.

May 17, 2008 at 3:32 am |
  23. John

Half of you people up here who post blogs dont even keep up with politics. For one if you watch cnn like I do, listen to what your politicians are saying. Hillary Clinton says she didnt need the black vote. Why would you support a presidential candidate who says she doesnt need you vote. Thats not presidential, and alot of her supporters said alot of racial slurs on tv. We all no that america is racist, but to alot of people are tired of getting stomped on by the government whites and blacks thats why Obama is winning. Everyone keeps saying he has no exsperience. News Flash!! None of the the candidates have exsperience as the president thats why they are running for president. Until we get past the color of a mans skin we will never change as a country. Look the problems in this country, we are no better than a third world country. America needs to open its eyes for its to late.

May 17, 2008 at 3:19 am |
  24. Julliet

Brilliant, call it stagecraft or whatever else, I call it brilliance. Remember Obama cant take or throw a punch, and when he takes a page out of one of the tactics of pres. Reagan, everyone goes, oh what an act. It shows how good a candidate he is. He successfully buried all the news about Hillary's resounding victory in WV and that smartness is what we need in a president. Republicans are running helter skelter they cant just believe this guy and that was why the president himself went after Obama with the "Hitler terrorist appeasement bomb".

May 17, 2008 at 1:53 am |
  25. MarkAnthony

Sen. Obama is probably the best choice we have for president, not because he knows the most or has done the most in his career, but because so far he seems to owe the least to those those industries .(insurance, oil/gas, financial, pharmaceutical,religion) which exert the greatest control over our government and at least says he opposes big business control of the govenment.
    He appears relatively 'clean' when compared to BillHill whose record of fence sitting and pandering to special interest groups is quite extraordinary and while McCain seems sincere and is probably more knowledgeable about the inner workings of the federal government, getting the US out of the Middle East (not just Iraq) does not fit with party policy, and he is a party sort of candidate.
    If Sen. Obama decides to name Edwards as his running mate, then we can be fairly certain that all of the talk about 'change in the way Washington is run' is just more lip service from another 'tell them what they want to hear' politician. Edwards wants to push his own agenda which is trading corn for fuel, an agenda which favors a handfull of people in his own state but is an obvious disservice to most of the country.

May 17, 2008 at 12:16 am |
  26. Diana (Canada)

This is not Einstein Math:

1. Obama is in the lead because many Republicans are also voting for him including Delegates and Superdelegates.

Why: Obama is obviously weaker than Clinton and McCain would defeat Obama much more easily than Clinton. So...Republicians are trying very hard for Obama to be the nominee and they are voting for him.

2. If Obama becomes the nominee, the Republicans will change their vote to McCain in the election and McCain will win. The Democrats will lose.

3. The Republicans are very crafty and can out think, out manouver and out play Obama at every turn. T

**They know that Hillary would be a very daughting opponent and they are trying to prevent her from being the opponent. They are not as stupid as you may think. Cheney at least is a viper snake and has been preparing this trap for Obama for a long time.

4. The only way Obama can win is if Clinton supporters vote for Obama and Hillary becomes Vice President or vice versa.

5. The Republicans know how lame Obama is and they actually like his political ineptness. So... they are setting him up by voting for him now so he will be the nominee, then dumping him when he goes up against McCain in the election.

Solution: America must vote with integrity and trust the consequences of their vote. They must vote for the person with the credentials and experience to run a Nation wisely and prudently.

**** Someone who is not prone to mistakes and apologizing either for his pastor, his up bringing, his college years or his condescending "sweetie remarks" to females. Does Obama call men Sweety?

May 17, 2008 at 12:14 am |
  27. Mohamed N. Raffaideen

Obama,s lead in the delegates vote is only because of the Black Majority votes from the state's of Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, North Carolina, Washighton DC, South Carolina. Considering the fact he has a very weak chance of winning the election for Presidency. It is a shame that Democratic party elders dislike Hilary Rodham Clinton for the reason of pure jealousy. I certainly would suggest Hilary R. Clinton to run on Independent ticket. CNN, is a bias news media, in favor or Barack Hussein Obama. The masses need to be educated on Obama's political career, MR Obama has been in the limelight of politics only couple of years. We as the citizens of America need to give him some time to inherit blemishes in his political career. CNN is the backbone for Obama's success. It is better for the masses to eliminate Obama now than regret later. Not go go Obama, it is NO NO NO Barack Hussein Obama, NO HOPE.

May 17, 2008 at 12:07 am |
  28. Dornell

You know, it's sad but it boils down to race once again. Look at it from a black man's point of view. The fact is there is a lack of respect for not only Obama, but the party as a whole. That being said, Obama has to walk a tight rope...why? Because he's black, the words have to be selected carefully, just to get the approval from all Americans...it's the same old fact, being equal for blacks means being twice as good than a white counter part.

I'm not stirring the pot, but Black Americans are sick of the double standards. I don't understand why he's in this position...if the same thing happen to Bush or McCain (Meaning Verbal Attack) they'd be free to say what ever they want, when where and how they wanted to... more so, the tone of the speeches are the key. Obama has to watch his tone and he's words 24/7.

No white candidate has to worry about..."if I say it this way... I seem like mad black man" then it's like, he has no self control to demonize him if he gets upset! Black people love this country, but how many times do we have to take slaps in the face and like it? Watch his actions, he is a good man...but at curtain points in the speeches he's not happy, but has to hold it in. There is no freedom in that! It's not like he'll curse someone out, like his fellow Democrat did, saying it was bull___....what Bush said!

I've worked in those types of environment too, so my hats off to Obama...because he can't come out and be aggressive as Clinton can and that's a women. (What's that say about the status of a black mans value). I'm out, because I'm getting worked up.

It's not fare and it's not right!!!

Something to think about from black middle class eyes.

May 17, 2008 at 12:02 am |
  29. erma

BUSH,

how can a person throw around words they can't spell nor know the definition of, appeasement being used by such a little and not so bright person is to be expected from a man who created a war for no reason to be explained .

May 16, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  30. Vig

Master of stagecraft? We have another word for it in the hood, master of bull.

May 16, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  31. Bruce

America doesn't need to be longer governed by a bunch of old guys who are dictated by the special interests in U.S or Israel. America needs some new blood and the only person to renew the American image in the world and bring back together the Great America is Obama.
    Go Go Obama you are our only HOPE

May 16, 2008 at 4:59 pm |
  32. Colleen

Yes sadly, The media has worked hard to make the actor a politician. A leftest invoking memories of a former conservative president? Sometimes the acrobatics are impressive. But this belief that somehow the media can fool the majority of the American people is a mistake that will come back to the Democratic party. Just as clearly, Obama is not Reagan, Hillary supporters are not stupid, uneducated racists.

It is amazing to me as a Canadian the level of misogyny , yes I am saying it again: Misogyny that is alive and well in American media. I have been off and reading the blogs on a variety of sites and the spin and misrepresentaion of the people supporting Clinton is terrible.

Anderson, The other night you had a clip featuring a man who was selling disgusting T-shirts about Obama. You were clearly angry-and rightfully so...sad and disgusting. The interenet is filled with misogynistic crap like this. One t shirt on the net says " Vote Obama 2008 "Bro's not Ho's". IS it Hillary's fault? Is it THIS woman? Hillary? I suspect it could only be Hillary Clinton running-who else could persevere? The media and its faithful bloggers have been terrible.
    This is the first time in my lifetime or in history that a woman has run for president. I don't expect to see a woman run again in my life time.

Colleen Kelly
    Vancouver, BC

May 16, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  33. Donna Aycock

I think the american voters are not being heard. Obama himeself said the superdelegates should not decide who wins.And should vote according to whom the people,inwhich they represent voted. But look what is happening. Are all news medias scared to report the truth about Obama. His comments about small town americans, was a direct insult to most of this country. He saids he is for change. And Clinton he said has taken more money from companies and others. But he himself has done the same and worst. His top fund raisers,are former lobbyist. Why do the news media let all bad news about just die. Yahoo will not let anyone post anything bad about him. As far race!!!!!! He said in his race speech he was running as a black man. Gibson had to explain capital gains tax to him. He cannot debate, but it was said he won the debates. The american people are in love with a fake! I pray he is expose before it to late.

May 16, 2008 at 1:14 pm |
  34. J.V.Hodgson

Stagecraft.He will need it to beat the GOP in November anyway.
    Right now he does not need any stagecraftonly to campaing effectively.
    Excluding Fl and M he needs just 18 more pledged delegates.
    Including Fl and M on the basis of full votes of delegates which I calculate at Dem Party rules and existing votes (uncommitted in Michigan to Obama) at 211 clinton 156 Obama he would then only require 74 pledged delegates from the remaining states to take that part definitively.
    He would then need 104 (45%) of the unpledged super delegates (less if you halve Fl and M pledged delegates) as the early vote penalty but seat them all.
    Will the spin artist Mc Auliffe and HRC stop saying they can win the popular vote 4 out of 5 bases they lose and the 5th is absolute anathema to any kind of democratic mind. This spin is damaging the party.
    Ift he DNC halve the delegates on 31/5/2008 this race is no longer a race, and hopefully HRC will concede but unfortunately I suspect not even then she'll go to the convention andtry to win there.
    Yawn/yawn.

Hodgson.

May 16, 2008 at 4:04 am |
  35. Gary from Vancouver,Canada

You Guys..instead of whining and bickering at Obama, and look now USA in the world stages,,Bush made a mess and still making a mess, Think of the agenda of Senator Obama, He was against War, Mcains now said until 2013 of sufferings of your troops and the rest of the world, the Canadian forces also in Afghanistan, Get real life..people are suffering wth their life, the economy, your family and the likes of hardships.

If you like Mcains like a cowboy style ..dumbmest Bush style, I ever known and the most stupid of all President. GO AHEAD..Republicans..But Change and Hope for everyone and thruth to the world stage go for OBAMA.
    I am Canadian but we fully support OBAMA for change in your country and the World.

May 16, 2008 at 3:14 am |
  36. Noel, Toronto, Canada

Kathie, Ontario, Canada you don’t know crap. Obama is a good for America. Hillary is old school, granted I had love the Clintons prior to their back stabbing and trying to change the rules in the middle of the game. I also thought Bill was one of the best President America ever had. Obama represent new ideas, new way of thinking and inspire a lot of people including this fellow Ontarian.

Go Obama

May 16, 2008 at 2:12 am |
  37. Susan Cusson RN

This is turning into a real insult to the importance of our vote. What kind of a backroom deal went on between Obama and Edwards.? Was it VP or US Attorney General position? Well, not so fast. I will vote for McCain. I am DEM gone mad.

May 16, 2008 at 2:04 am |
  38. Tammy

Yes, Obama has stage presence. Some would call it poise. There's nothing wrong with that or with being eloquent. What bothers me is the accusation that his speeches are without substance. I've been listening to all the candidates since January. Certainly Hillary is the most wonkish, sometimes giving more details that we need to know. MCCain is often very vague, especially the time he said something like he certainly denounced anyone who said anything that someone might find offensive (just to cover all possible bases and not have to think through each individual case, I suppose). Very vague, indeed, including his speech today in which he depicts his vision. Nice thoughts, but no strategies or facts to back up how he will accomplish any of it. Obama, while delivering messages of inspiration, also puts in content. It's just that he weaves it into the text of the message. I hear it. He's got as many details in his policies as Hillary, and their policies are very similar. He gives reasons behind his logic, and his arguments are internally consistent. People like to label, it seems, and to accept the labels others put on candidates. Labels can be falsely applied as in Bush using the term 'appeasement' as though it were equivalent to negotiating, negotiating similar to what his administration has done with North Korea and Libya, and what Nixon did with China and Reagan did with the Russia.

May 16, 2008 at 1:38 am |
  39. Harriet Atkinson

It continues to amaze me that persons wanting to discount Obama's message choose to overlook the depth of his positions. Considering that even the pundits say there is little difference from Clinton, I can only think that a dislike for Obama is being colored by faulty and erroneous conclusions IN SPITE of what he says. Remember, Obama is smart and will select a VP that will help carry his message of hope, change and a real player in foreign affairs. I chose to listen to all three candidates. It is sad that Clinton is pulling on past favors, past research into persons lives and putting the election on hold. The repugs have more recent trash that they have been dying to use against her in the General. The old messy stories are distracting, as well. It is impt to get behind our party, face the issues straight on and work to bring the changes we need in our country. The real divide is that the baby boomers are caught in the past and can't believe America is ready for a post racially divisive society. Glad GenXers are of age and willing to fight this past filth. Together we stand and can win this – divided we fall!

May 16, 2008 at 1:13 am |
  40. Barb

Everyone, needs to think about the saying that actions speak louder
    then words and so far all I seem to hear are empty words.

May 16, 2008 at 12:46 am |
  41. Linda

America has a long row to hoe because people are really more polarized by race than I thought and I did not have a Mary Poppins' view. Don't be haters! Are you mad at Obama because he is Black or are you mad at him because he is Black and he beat the inevitable, white, first female president?
    Hillary couldn't seal the deal because she is bogus. How is it that so many of you saw her stand up and repeat the lie about being under sniper fire and you still want her as your president in these very critical times? Why are you afraid of this Black man? Is it because you think he may hate you for being white as much as you hate him for being black? Don't just write your comments. Please assess them and see why you are responding to a candidate who has won with such hatred. Many of you are claiming to think that Obama is inexperienced. John McCain doesn't have any executive experience and he clearly doesn't have the skill set to be an executive. Hillary Clinton has never been and executive and she ran a horrible campaign, full of in-fighting, and budget deficits. And you are not acknowledging that Hillary ran with a running mate (Bill) and Obama still beat her.

May 16, 2008 at 12:41 am |
  42. Tarsha

I honestly believe that Reagan's grace has shined on Obama greatly in this campaign. I mean, he's a much better orator (for lack of better word) than the president that we have now. I believe that the people voting this year need to at least be able to understand and relate to what the candiates are saying. Obama is highly educated, stable in his OWN (not Wright's) views and personal life, and I think that the majority of people that won't vote for him don't have a stable reason in their justification. McCain's too old, and I think we all have seen what a Republican can do in the span of 8 years to a country. I am 19 years old, and politics interest me greatly, but the slashes that have been thrown within the past few months are beginning to disgust me and make not only I, but other young new voters, just throw in the towel. I may be a bit closed minded in this statement, but I'll vote Democratic before I ever vote for another Republican based on what I've seen since 2002.

May 16, 2008 at 12:34 am |
  43. Kent, Illinois

You know, I really miss Reagan...........the first time I voted was for Reagan for his second term in office. This you are hearing from an Independent voter. But, yeah he was terrific. He made you feel good everytime you listened to him. You really, really liked him. He painted the picture that everyone could have the American Dream.

Obama paints that same picture........forget about party affiliation. When you listen, see.........go with your feelings about what he is saying.............Is it so wrong to want what he speaks about? He's gonna surround himself with top authorities on everything like every President does..............or is suppose to do....Bush? Hmmmmmmmm you got me there.

May 16, 2008 at 12:30 am |
  44. cindy

Before you vote for Hillary, think about how she is running her campaign. She is in debt and we don't want this country to be deeper in debt. Save us all and vote for Obama. This guy grew up poor and worked so hard to be where he is today. He is just like any of us. Seeing him campaihn gives me hope that our kids can be anything as long as they work hard in school. Clinton and her husband are playing a race card on him. PLease don't let them get away with it.

May 16, 2008 at 12:20 am |
  45. Tammy

i gave obama my whole welfare check again for the third time i love that man

May 16, 2008 at 12:16 am |
  46. David

McCain has my vote 🙂

May 16, 2008 at 12:11 am |
  47. Linda

Obama is a very intelligent man. Look at the odds over which he triumphed (i.e., he was born to a single teenage mother, he is biracial and came up in a society that offered him little acceptance from the white or black community). I don't know how or why anyone would try to suggest that he is anything short of brilliant. (He just beat the crap out of Bill and Hillary Clinton, even though Bill has been touted to be the best politician in recent history.)
    Hillary has campaigned as the experienced, knowledgeable candidate, but she just took a licking from someone whom she claims is an empty suit. If he's an empty suit then she must be an empty head and empty suit . Let's not forget that he has beaten her fairly and squarely. Just because Hillary says the rules can be changed and spun to fit her position, doesn't mean it's true.
    I can understand people who support Hillary being disappointed, but this degeneration into race-baiting and racial hatred is way over the top. I used to favor Hillary. I used to love Bill Clinton. But I don't like people who will do anything or say anything to win. If Hillary has done anything, she has proven that she has no respect for rules. People should be afraid that she would show the same disregard for the law if she were to become President. George Bush and his posse have done that and we are worse off as citizens. (Our rights as citizens have been diminished. The government can tap your phone or have you fired because you are a Democrat.)
    I hope that REAL Democrats won't lose sight of what is at stake here. And to all of you republicans who are posing as Democrats you should come out and say who you are and stop lying about having any interest in anything other than keeping the rich and powerful in business as usual.

May 16, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  48. Darrell

To All of those who would rather vote for McCain than Obama.
    You will get what you deserve. 4 more years of Bush policies.
    I'm a Obama Supporter who will vote for Hillary over McCain
    even if she steals the nomination. It will make me physically ill
    but I have to swallow my pride and vote my party. I like McCain
    but not his policies. Women especially won't have a right to choose.
    The Iraq war will continue and the economy would probably go from
    recession to depression. I don't like Hillary at all but I will vote for the lesser of 2 evils.

May 15, 2008 at 11:29 pm |