May 15th, 2008

Appeasement, naivete.. Welcome to campaign 2008

Dana Bash
CNN Correspondent

We were riding the bus from John McCain's speech on his vision for 2013, after his 4 years as president.. a somewhat utopian speech.

We had just finished going 'round and 'round with him over whether his vision - or promise - of an end of the Iraq war by then, constituted a timetable for withdrawal from Iraq. He repeatedly denied that and called it a false interpretation.

We asked him about President Bush’s comments before the Knesset, suggesting Democrats favor "appeasement" of terrorists in the way some Western leaders appeased

Hitler in the run-up to World War II. Noting that Barack Obama took that to be a shot at him, we asked Senator McCain if he agreed.

Mccain responded that he takes Bush at his word, but then criticized Obama repeatedly for saying he would talk with the president of Iran.

He was clearly eager to talk about this, saying,

"It is a serious error on the part of Sen. Obama that shows naivete and

inexperience and lack of judgment to say that he wants to sit down across the

table from an individual who leads a country who says that Israel is a stinking

corpse."

McCain also recently charged that Obama is the favored candidate of  Hamas, which the U.S. has listed as a terrorist group. Obama called that McCain remark a "smear," and today called Bush's comment, "a false political attack."

I later asked Senator McCain how much of an issue this will be and he said that of course national security – and their differences on it – will be big.

A taste of the general election campaign to come.

1. Ophelia

Why does CNN continue to report the news with a bias towards Senator Obama? When I watch the news I want the news reporters to report the news with being bias toward the far left liberals. If CNN continues to campaign for Senator Obama I will not continue to watch CNN and I will encourage everyonew I know to stop watching CNN. I will also notify all sponsors that adveretise on CNN to stop supporting CNN.

May 16, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  2. Ophelia

The reaction from Senator Obama and other far left liberals is crazy. Not once in President Bush's speech was there any reference to Senator Obama. This crazy reaction from Senator Obama proves that Senator Obama is not ready to be the President. Senator Obama's crazy comments need to be examined for what they are.
    TOTAL NONSENSE.

May 16, 2008 at 4:00 pm |
  3. Marvin Sadur

Shame on CNN for being so biased. My blog was not accepted. I will try again . I am a Jewish WW2 veteran. I have seen the results of the holocaust by anti semitist. Louis Farrakahn is a anti semetist. The ADL(anti defamation league) labels him an anti semite, Reverend Wright & the Trinity church awarded Farrakahn a distiguished citizen award two years ago. A friend of my enemy is my enemy. God bless America.

May 16, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  4. Sharon

Please for all that is good in America report on Senator Obama's speech for what it is...total nonsense. Senator Obama has obviously lost his mind. Please have someone at CNN find out what Senator Obama has been smoking as Senator Obama is talking total nonsense.

May 16, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  5. jt

Just want to know.

With all this parades of endorsements that Obama had been getting plus the bias tyreatment of the DNC and the media towards Hillary,

How come Obama can not close the nomination?

My take is, he is the wrong candidate.

Hillary 08!!!

May 16, 2008 at 2:50 pm |
  6. angie tennessee

here we go again.... everybody knows bush has some screws loose and it look like mccain do too. everybody knows you have to talk to solve problems isn't that what condie doing now talking with IRAN???? For a president to go to over seas and down grade his country is beyond me and then grin about it is an outrage. has he been in the sauce again??? i'll be so glad when this race is over and obama is president.

OBAMA 08

May 16, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  7. Debbie

I assure you that I will be one Democrat that will be voting for McCain if Obama gets the nomination on the Democratic ticket. I do not trust Obama and my gut tells me he should NOT be in the White House. I've had this gut feeling since the first time I saw Obama. Obama can not do or say anything that will convince me to vote for him. In my opinion, I cannot vote for someone that appears to be deceitful about his religious ties to the Muslim faith. I fully understand that many Muslims are wonderful people and not terrorists, but why would he try to deceive the American people? This is how I feel and if he would be deceitful in this area, then how can we trust him with our Country? Again, I continue to have this sinking feeling in my stomach each time I hear him speak and I can't get past it.

May 16, 2008 at 1:41 pm |