May 14th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 5/14/08

Tonight, John Edwards is endorsing Barack Obama. What impact will this have on the campaign? We'll find out from the best political team on television.

The day after her big win in West Virginia, Hillary Clinton sat down in Washington with CNN's Wolf Blitzer. You'll hear a lot of that interview tonight on 360.

In China, a frightened 7th-grade girl was pulled safely from the rubble of a school dormitory - 50 hours after she was buried by Monday's earthquake. We'll have her story and the latest on the rescue effort.

If you're wondering why your comments aren't being posted take a look at our comments post.
LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments here at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. ericacnn

Hi, Sabrina - we also have this remarkable story on CNN.com
    Two women were found in that rubble - concrete slabs and debris - they survived 50 hours trapped under all of it. One was 8 months pregnant - I havent seen an update yet on the baby

May 14, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Laura - Charlotte NC

Gloria....believe it when we say we will NOT support Obama in the general election.
    I researched Obama long ago and made my voting decisions in December. First choice Clinton, second McCain and there is no third choice.

May 14, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  3. Jana, Indiana

Great show tonight. Good night Anderson and all. Anderson hope you eventually get to go to Burma.

May 14, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Sabrina.in.LosAngeles

Finally the polar bears will be safe.

May 14, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar

Wow! John Vause is in China, Welcome to AC360!!!!! thank you John V. for coverage the earthquake information!

May 14, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  6. Rose from Southern Calif

China is a mess, the children will need medical and mental help. God took care of this little girt for 3 days. How many is still missing? Children and adults?

May 14, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  7. John

The endorsement by Edwards for Obama does not impress me.
    I am sure he has some hidden agenda.

May 14, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Kelli

That earthquake is a horrible tragedy. You can't help but wonder if one of the same magnitude would do the same devastation would create the same damage in California as it did in China. We're experiencing "earthquake" weather right now in CA and everyone's on edge.

May 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  9. Chris Richardson

For somone to not vote Democratic because Hillary does not get the Democratic nomination is ridiculous. If they think voting Republican will solve the upside down housing market, high gas prices, jobs going overseas, and no health care, then they just do that. But the Republicans are going to continue to make their rich friends richer and make the middle class poorer.

May 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Steven A, TX

Carly, let me help you with your indecision. Take a deep look at this country 8 years ago, then ask yourself are we better off? if you can comfortably answer "YES" then vote for the continuation of the current government, if the answer is "NO" then vote for change.

May 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  11. Chuck in Alabama

I agree Jo Ann. I also would like the question of sexism addressed. It has been shameful the ways in which Hillary has been dismissed by many of the pundits and commentators.

May 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Martha Elkins

Anyone who considers themself a true Democrat will NOT vote Republican, nor will they stay home and NOT vote during this election!!! Getting a Democrat as President is too important!!!

May 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  13. Tyler

Sorry, I don't believe it either. What kind of Democrat would stay home or worse, vote for McCain if Clinton doesn't win? I am a strong Clinton supporter, but just because she doesn't win doesn't mean we should put ourselves through 4 more years of Bush politics.

May 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Mary M

"It's not over, til the lady in the pantsuit says it's over"....
    Hillary still has a chance – Aren't the political analyst telling us that Hillary can take states from McCain that Obama might not win.
    The DNC and the superdelegates might know better than we how this will play out.

May 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Sabrina.in.LosAngeles

KNX 1070 AM reported that they found a woman who was 8 months pregnant in the rubble....apparently she is alive and well.

They were working on the building when they realized she was there. I believe that they got her out.

Check their site for details though.

May 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Jen in Mex.

Where is all this "emergency" architecture we always hear about after disasters?? Are they just projects, or can they be implemented now??

May 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Brandi Ranatza

the chinese government seems so united and orderly. as an extreme southern louisianian, that is so refreshing. it shows me that it can be done swiftly with dignity for those affected.

May 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Genevieve M, TX

Hopefully China will be more receptive to outside aid than Myanmar has been.

May 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Jennifer Graf

I caucused for Obama, my husband caucused for Clinton. We are both white baby boomers. We will both vote for Obama for president once his nomination is FINALLY secured. I don't believe the Clinton backers will cut their nose to spite their face by voting for McCain.

May 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  20. deann

How anyone can say they would vote for another 4 years of Republican mistakes because the candidate they support lost the nomination is just sour grapes

May 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Brian Persaud

This is so sad...such devastation. Thoughts go out to them and those with friends or family there. Glad to see some aid being given.

May 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Rick, NJ

I have to preface my thought with this, while it will pain me and I mean Pain me to vote for Hillary Clinton, I would do it if she somehow wins the nomination of the Democratic Party. I hope everyone will vote for the Dem candiate so we can end the war, fix the economy and get health care for everyone!

May 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  23. Danny

I am totally ashamed of Edwards, I thought that he support the working people. Now he is just another politician. He should just go back to sleep and to think that I supported him at one time. Not any more.

May 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  24. Jolene

@Bob L from Philly: Just as you want a young president, there are a lot of people who equate a so-called "young" president as an inexperienced president.

May 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  25. Ronald Baker D.C.

Kathy in Chicago. I was born in D.C. and I've been a freelance photojournalist in D.C. for 34 years. When you see and document the rich and powerful every day like I do you occasionally get a close-up look at the wheeling and dealing that goes on. Edwards won't get the VP nod but you can be sure that he didn't get up on that stage out of unconditional love for Barack Obama. There's definitely something in it for Edwards and it was negotiated within the last 48 hours.

May 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  26. Sue G.

I find it interesting that the media and others claim that Obama is not a candidate of ideas...Did anyone listen to his speech yesterday? Full of specific ideas. Maybe it's too difficult to pull together two seemingly opposing concepts...a person's ability to inspire combined with concrete ideas...is he too eloquent?

May 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  27. EJ

"The young people are influenced by the his eloquent speeches but they fail to understand that there is a thing called a veto and checks and balances."

yabbut many of us young people are pretty educated and know exactly what we are doing and who we are voting for and why 🙂

May 14, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  28. Bob

I'm in the camp for Clinton. Obama is a wouderful idea but show me one accomplishment since his days in the state house. If he'd the guy then I'll vote for the Maverick.

May 14, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, Ohio

O.K. so what is the difference between what Hillary Clinton said about White blue-collar workers and what Joe Klein just said about less educated voters and the fact that there is a low Black population in W.Va? Isn't that making race an issue? These pro-Obama panelists like to use race when it supports their position, but they don't allow anyone else to use it when it doesn't. Do they even understand the term "double standards?"

May 14, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  30. Rose from Southern Calif

Obama needs to go back to all the states that Hillary won and start campaigning. He will need those votes without it he will not win at all.

May 14, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  31. deann

With the endorsement of Edwards,the super delegates sliding to Obama, and the toned down rhetoric, I think it is fair to say Obama will be the nominee.

I am a Obama supporter, but I agree with alot of what Hillary stands for. I am looking forward to 2012

May 14, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Jeff

Tell your guest to "believe it". I will not vote for Mr. Obama if he is the nominee. I will for the first time in my life vote Republican if Sen. Clinton is not the nominee

May 14, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Christina, Windber, PA

I don't know about other people, but I won't vote for Obama just because Hillary may decide to endorse him. It won't change the core reasons why I didn't support him to begin with. Those reasons have nothing to do with race by the way.

May 14, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  34. jaystin

hey, i am a hillary supporter and despite what GLORIA BORGER SAYS,, WILL NOT VOTE for obama no matter what, thanks.

May 14, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  35. deborah

tell gloria that we sure has heck do mean what we say when we tell you we will not vote for obama

it's not about race! it's about obama we would not vote for him even if he was white,black,brown,yellow ,red or purple!

this is no joke!!

May 14, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  36. Cynthia

Those that chose to not vote for Senator Obama – that is your perogative. Remember what we have been through the last 8 years. Think of the Supreme Court Justices that Senator McCain will replace. I was not blessed with children but have relatives who have done 3 and 4 tours in Iraq and would love for the war to be ended as soon as it is safe to do so.

May 14, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  37. Kelli

Hey, there's audio tonight – where did that come from? Thanks, it's neat to hear the buzz in the studio!

May 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Jolene

@JoAnn: Great question. Perhaps Edwards had a good reason for endorsing tonight rather than some other night. Even on the blog last night, many of us were commenting on the fact that Edwards was getting votes last night in WV. Perhaps that is why. I don't think we will ever know.

May 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Mike from Syracuse NY

I think Suzanne's comment depends on how Hillary loses. If she wins the popiular vote and loses the delegate count, her supporters may feel cheated no matter what she says.

May 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  40. David

Hillery is looking very Vice Presidential tonight, also last night with her acceptance speech. If she doesn't get her way with With FL and MI (every vote counted), her true self will come back with a vengance.

If Edwards had come out supporting her, he relevance would have been much more positive to her supporters

May 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  41. Athan V

Dear John King, the Live Map Wizard,
    can you please show to us an ELECTORAL MAP based on states won by Hillary & Barack?
    That will be of great help.
    Athan from Wash. DC burbs

May 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Kimberly, Denver

Love ya Gloria But we are not going to change our minds... it is going to last.

May 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  43. Charles in Prince George. VA.

I'm in my 40's and have voted rep. all my life, but this year I am voting for Obama.

May 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  44. Kim in NY

I don't need a "stylish" president, I need one with substance...

May 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  45. Rosie from Pa

It doesn't matter how he introduces himself. People will not forget who his friends are and how he got there. The young people are influenced by the his eloquent speeches but they fail to understand that there is a thing called a veto and checks and balances.

May 14, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  46. Bob L from Philadelphia, PA

I, as a young white male, am sick and tired of old white men running this country. I welcome the change to a woman or a half-black, half-white, young President.

May 14, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  47. Reginald

Anderson, very good. West Virginia is all about race. So how can we use West Virginia as the gage to determine how Obama is going to do in the other states.

May 14, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Yvonne

We like the idea and the ideas of Obama.

May 14, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  49. John Kelley

What John King pointed out as swing states, I regret to inform you, but New York State should be in the group of swing states. First of all, Barack Obama will hav problems with American Jewish Community in Brooklyn and in Nassau County. They have been fervently behind Hillary Clinton and they will not take a chance with Obama who wants to talk face to face with our adversaries in the Middle East. My friends in this community are telling me this.
    Secondly, John McCain has a very strong and powerful following upstate New York. It's conceivable that John McCain could take
    New York State.

May 14, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar

EJ,
    I think so, I heard that same girl have her leg amputed, maybe yes.

May 14, 2008 at 10:39 pm |