May 14th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 5/14/08

Tonight, John Edwards is endorsing Barack Obama. What impact will this have on the campaign? We'll find out from the best political team on television.

The day after her big win in West Virginia, Hillary Clinton sat down in Washington with CNN's Wolf Blitzer. You'll hear a lot of that interview tonight on 360.

In China, a frightened 7th-grade girl was pulled safely from the rubble of a school dormitory - 50 hours after she was buried by Monday's earthquake. We'll have her story and the latest on the rescue effort.

If you're wondering why your comments aren't being posted take a look at our comments post.
LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments here at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Chris G. (San Diego)

Is it me, or do I see hints of an Obama/Edwards ticket????

May 14, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  2. Alexis

Its incredible what the human body can withstand, 50 hours under rubble, miracle! Its good to hear of those stories with all the sad ones that are coming out of that area of the world

May 14, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  3. CaseyJPS - California

Jo Ann>I don;t believe for a second that John Edwards' decision was a last minute decision. I'm certain he has been pondering this for quite some time.

May 14, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Billi

Joe, wow, WV is not typical of the rest of the country. I can see why you support Obama.

May 14, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Brian Persaud

Its Rev. Wright...its race...its demographics...god forbid anyone vote with their own minds.

May 14, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Katt in FL

I was an Edwards' supporter first, now supporting Obama. I loved seeing them center stage together. What a ticket for the election. Eat dirt, McBush! Edwards pulls in the blue-collar voters, problem solved. Obama/Edwards 2008!!! A winning ticket, IMO

May 14, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Jolene

@deann: I agree with you. I think it has already been proven out that you can not predict what will happen this election year. Although it is interesting to see how the states voted in the past, I don't think we can count on it being the same for this year.

May 14, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Henry

Billi, thanks for your note of support. I am such a fan of Hillary. I/we know that she is the only one who can beat McCain in the fall, really. We've got to stand behind her, despite all the negative media attention and otherwise. I think, and have the faith that she spoke of last night, that she will prevail as our nominee. It really can't be any other way. Go get 'em HIllary! And for you non-Hillary fans, you don't know what you will be missing if she is not our next president. She WILL get things done. She is not about talk and speeches. She is real, genuine, passionate and is only doing this for the best of the country that she loves so much. It is obvious. No ego involved on her behalf. She is fighting for us. Nuff said!

May 14, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

deann – good point!!! I think that we can use the past as a general gauge but 2004 and 2008 are two totally different situations with different candidates.

May 14, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  10. EJ

and that, in my opinion, is one of the most awesome parts of this 2008 election

I just love that so many young people are involved and learning more than they ever have about politics and our government. It's impossible to measure how important that is.

May 14, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Billi

Advantage Republican is exactly the reason for Hillary's argument for her candidacy. She has that advantage and Obama does not.

West Virginia is not an aberration. It is an example of American voters.

May 14, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar

Wow! she is so amazing! she is alive and pulled rubble the building for 50 hours!!!!!!!! That is so happening!!!! that is so miracle!

May 14, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Brandi Ranatza

so sad all the devastation overseas. the government response seems so organized there. perhaps our leaders could get with them to rewrite our own emergency response plans.

May 14, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Chanel

Jerry, Obama was NOT on the ballot in MI. That is why no one is seriously considering seating the delegates the way the votes were cast. I'm sure that the DNC will come to a decision that will include FL and MI in some way or another. Both candidates want that.

May 14, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, Ohio

Jolene; Since this was, as you said, a last minute decision by Edwards maybe someone will ask him what or who pushed him over the edge. He, like all of the other late endorsers, knew where Clinton and Obama stood on the issues long ago and nothing has changed. So what is his "real" reason to do it now?

May 14, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  16. EJ

Is that the same girl who had to have her legs amputed in order to free her from the rubble? Did they decide they didn't have to amputate?

May 14, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  17. deann

Why do we keep looking at red and blue states from 4 years ago – the economy is so different than it was 4 years ago and Bush has done more than enough to help turn many of those red states blue

May 14, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Mary Boyce

Comment with picture of President Clinto and child....

She ain't heavy, could be a future Presdent!

Thanks. Great show. Interview with Senator Clinton was excellent.

May 14, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Chuck in Alabama

I really don't think Obama can take Florida or Pennsylvania.

May 14, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Kim in NY

Brandi –
    You are so right. I believe this campaign is giving the public an education, one we never received in school. My 11 year son now knows more about politics and government than most of friends and family.

May 14, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  21. ericacnn

Hi, Zenta. The webcam is a little tired after a late night of WV primary coverage yesterday...moving s l o w e r than normal tonight 😉

May 14, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Brian Persaud

Oh man...so much red on that map, what a scary thought.

May 14, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  23. Chanel

What do you guys think is the chance of Edwards' delegates going to Obama?

May 14, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  24. jerry

to anderson cooper... regarding florida and michigan... were sen.clinton and sen.obama the only ones one the ballot.. and if not did the dnc recognize the vote cast for the other candidates of state and local elections.. and if the did ... why would you include only some of the candidates and not all the candidates ,, if the argument is that they violated the date... then all democratic primary candidates would null and void... and again if they counted all the votes for the other candidates why wouldnt you include the democratic primary total for alll the candidates

May 14, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  25. Julliet

Anderson you guys are doing a great job of balancing the news with both Obama and Hillary. I agree you are not being caught up in the Obama-Edward flash.

May 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  26. Jana, Indiana

Hillary's interview was very good. Thanks for showing it.

May 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  27. Brandi Ranatza

whoa, troy got a nice little snippet. 🙂
    such is life, imperfect aren't we all.

im actually finally enjoying the coverage, it makes more sense to me at this point.

May 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  28. Cheryl M.

Didn't John Edwards have some significant percentages early on in the primaries? If those people that voted for Edwards vote for Clinton,it could help in the general election. It would also help to deflate argument about how she's more electable in the general election. JMO...

May 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  29. Aikeem Boyd

I mean his endoresment doesnt mean much,remember he would always join Barack in attacking Hillary...so on to Kentucky

May 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  30. Carly,AL

chris i totally agree with you....im haveing a hard time choose who to vote for in the general election cuz i really dont like any of them....but im am going to vote though and not disrespect my freedom i have to vote....im just gonna have to do a lot of thinking between now and then......

May 14, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  31. Claire

Well said Chris in Sarasota. I totally agree. I wish Clinton was in the lead but she isn't. I will vote for Obama in Nov. if he is the nominee. Health care, the economy, the war and civil rights for woman, minorities and gays are so important. If you are democrate wouldn't you want your ideals and values to be upheld rather than see a Republican get in and continue on with the last 8 years?

May 14, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  32. Carmen, Marina, CA

To all Democrats....Please, please, please vote the Dem ticket in November...whoever heads the ticket...Obama or Hillary...do not forget what the Dems stand for and what the Repubs stand against. We all have to get over the hurt if "our" primary candidate does not get the nomination. We have to look to the future and what the Dem party can bring to this country,

May 14, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  33. Kevin Leo from Jonesboro, GA

Nicole and CaseyJPS

Thank you for bringing up a point that I have been saying at work. WV was Hillary's 2nd big win in terms of percentage points. Barack has had 15 and is projected to have another one in Oregon. Plus all of the polls coming out of WV are not reflective of the other 49 states, so let's stop trying to put so much weight behind them!!!

May 14, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  34. CaseyJPS - California

Hilary Clinton is absolutely Presidential. Nobody can ever question that.

May 14, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  35. Trenese

All you Hillary supporters, dont believe the talking points our party is feeding us about John McCain. Edwards endorsement is another example of "The old Gentleman's Club"

No Hillary = McCain

May 14, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  36. Chuck in Alabama

Many "fence post" conservatives have crossed party lines to vote for Hillary. Many of these voters are the ones saying they won't vote for Obama. Maybe they see him as a little more liberal than Hillary. The world "Change" certainly cries "Liberal" to some people.

May 14, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  37. Barb, MN

Why does everyone keep talking about Clinton “hurting” Obama by staying in the race? The only attacks I hear lately are coming from Obama (his attack on her OPEC comments). Why does he have to do that?

May 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Jack, Boston, MA

Anderson, no question that you cover what is important to our country...and to the world! Keep 'em flying!

May 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Angel Manners

Chris in Sarasota, I agree, If the nominee you wanted dosen't make it, It would make sense to vote for the next best candidate that best caters to what you believe in.

May 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  40. Cynthia

I agree with Senator Clinton about all supporters voting for the democratic nominee as opposed to Senator McCain.

May 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  41. Zenta, New York, NY

Just a little, little question, but...why does the live cam go so slow tonight?

May 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  42. Trey

AC, you do travel the world more than any other journalist and bring the best news to your viewers . . . there is no question you are on top . . . don't let anyone tell you otherwise . . . .

May 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  43. spencer

Fair treatment and objective coverage(not personal opinions)is what i look for in the news.

May 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Fay, CA

Whenever I think I'm totally burned out with this campaign, something always happens to get me interested again–it really is an election like no other.

May 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, Ohio

Chuck; Well said! Obama knew all of the time that sooner or later he would have to be "forced to play the game," but he let his supporters believe in that hollow promise. Funny thing is, they still believe it!

Casey JPS – California: I would like to know what Obama and his supporters meant by " a different type of politician." Do they still consider him to be one?

May 14, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  46. deann

This political season has ignited everyone – I have voted in the past seveal elections, but this is the first time I attended a caucus and I have enjoyed getting involved in the process

May 14, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Yvonne

I hope Hillary's supporters listen to the wisdom of their candidate and vote for Obama.

May 14, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Billi

Thank you, Anderson, for showing the interview with Senator Clinton. It was a great interview.

May 14, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Vilmarie

Erica- Happy Wednesay right back at you.
    Anderson-Glad you're making strides with the Clinton coverage.

I think Edwards is a whimp. Enough said.

All the best.
    V.

May 14, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Chanel

I think Clinton did great in her interview tonight. She dismissed the "USA Today statement," which was needed, and she stressed the importance of voting for the Democratic nominee in the fall, no matter who it was. Kudos. The competition in this race can be good if the candidates debate the issues and stay away from the personal and divisive attacks.

May 14, 2008 at 10:23 pm |