May 14th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 5/14/08

Tonight, John Edwards is endorsing Barack Obama. What impact will this have on the campaign? We'll find out from the best political team on television.

The day after her big win in West Virginia, Hillary Clinton sat down in Washington with CNN's Wolf Blitzer. You'll hear a lot of that interview tonight on 360.

In China, a frightened 7th-grade girl was pulled safely from the rubble of a school dormitory - 50 hours after she was buried by Monday's earthquake. We'll have her story and the latest on the rescue effort.

If you're wondering why your comments aren't being posted take a look at our comments post.
LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. The shot features Anderson and Erica behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments here at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Chris in Sarasota

Does it seem childish to others when someone says they won't vote if it isn't their candidate? Why would you act against your own interests? What is accomplished? I think it's unpatriotic to disrespect the opportunity to vote for our country's leaders.

May 14, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  2. Kim in NY

What is Obama "changing" anyway. It seems like the same old politics he wants to turn his back on. He "forgot how great Edwards was" until he was endorsed by him???? Did anybody else catch that? It is nice to want to change things, but I have yet to hear any substantial plans for the change.

May 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  3. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,

Hi! You did a great job with the election coverage last night.
    I think Obama/Edwards looks too much like Kerry/Edwards.

May 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  4. Billi

Henry, there are many Hillfans out here and – believe me – the number of us blogging all over is increasing. Hillary is in this and we are in here with her. She has received terrible, terrible treatment from the media and we will always be there for her and with her.

May 14, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  5. Michelle in Los Angeles

Anderson, you can never satisfy everyone. I have been pissed about part of the coverage for the past few weeks, but tonight, I am pretty darn happy. Nice to have some good news. Time to start healing this party. .
    Its funny, people keep talking about graceful exit for HIllary, I think graceful would of been after Tuesday a week ago.

May 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  6. Rosie from Pa

Edwards is not a super delegate so why is his endorsement important? The news is that Obama again couldn't close it out rather he took a decisive lose. The media chose to report on Edwards who stated he wouldn't choose then on the landslide victory. Why?

May 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  7. andersoncnn

Troy, i appreciate your frustration, but the truth is you are in the minority. Many, many people are interested in our political coverage and feel it will have a major impact on their lives. Viewership levels simply prove you wrong. That said, i would remind you i have been trying to get to burma since the storm hit, and spend more time covering foreign stories than just about anyone in cable or broadcast news. I understand the frustration, i dont quite get the hostility, but such is life.

May 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Julliet

I hope Hillary means it when she says she will work hard for the democratic nominee

May 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  9. Angel Manners

I think CNN is very objective with the coverage on both candidates, but I believe since Hillary is on the sliding slope, her supporters want to point a finger as to why that is happening.

May 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  10. CaseyJPS - California

Nicole>You're absolutely right. Do you think the overall coverage is a little slanted or is it just my imagination?

May 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Mike from Syracuse NY

I fail to see why Edwards is such a big deal. He failed to get much support from Democrats in his own campaign.

May 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  12. Yvonne

I would be scared to have McCain as President. He might get our enemies angry seeing as he is their worst nightmare.

May 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar

Hi Erica!
    I am enjoy watching Wolf Blizter interview Hillary Clinton...... good job Wolf!

May 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  14. Shawn North Carolina

Well Marc I hope you like paying $4.00 for gasoline and a 100 year war with good people's children dying in iraq everyday. If that is your idea of leadership McCain is your bet.

May 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  15. ophelia/FL

Edwards indorcement is great! I was for Edwards before he droped out, and was waiting for him to indorce, because knowing how honest he is I knew he would make an honest decision, now saying that, the reason he did it now is because he seen his voter's in WV let the fear of racism get in the way of what our Country needs!

May 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  16. EJ

Let’s stop taking things out of context. Yes, she won a major victory. But at this point, who really cares?

Certainly not I!

May 14, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  17. Billi

Senator Clinton always speaks so clearly and confidently on any topic. She is very knowledgeable.

Her "words" are always ones of substance.

She is very presidential and has always been throughout this campaign.

May 14, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  18. Fay, CA

Those Hillary supporters who intend to vote for McCain over Obama if he becomes the nominee should keep in mind that she has stated that it's a bad idea.

May 14, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  19. Bob L from Philadelphia, PA

I like John Edwards, but he will not be the VP this fall. He will get a cabinet position, which is what he is more suted for.

He also wants to be an elected official again if he is not in a Dem admin. NC went for Obama, so Edwards had to go for NC.

And as for the Senior Citizen vote for Obama: ted Kennedy.

May 14, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  20. Jolene

Although I have to agree that the timing of Edwards endorsing Obama was a bit suspect. It has been reported that it was a last minute decision by Edwards to endorse tonight. It's not like it was some planned out strategy.

May 14, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  21. Brian Persaud

I love the way Hillary speaks. I always feel like she's at ease, informed, concise, and energetic. I have yet to hear a speech or interview from her that I have zoned out during..

May 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  22. spencer

I definately will sit this one out if he gets the nomination and Hillary is not on the ticket. And before anyone ask I will not vote Republican.....under any circumstance..but could stay home...

May 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  23. Henry

I am so happy to hear so many positive comments regarding Hillary on the blog tonite, and few positive comments about the Edwards endorsement. You all make perfect sense. Keep on!

May 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  24. CaseyJPS - California

Erica...you're late!

May 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  25. Bonnie

I honestly don't think Obama will win. He doesn't have the blue collar workers and women like me. We will not be swayed to vote for the man that just broke our hearts!!

May 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  26. Nicole

Anderson,

Why do we keep talking about Hillary's victory in West Virginia is "big trouble" for Obama, when it was only her second huge victory? Barack has had 15 such blowouts. What does that say about her weaknesses and her trouble spots?

Let's stop taking things out of context. Yes, she won a major victory. But at this point, who really cares?

May 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Michelle in Los Angeles

One state does not run the show. Even with Hillary's win last night, Barack is still the front runner. He's raised more money, he's ran a better campaign, he has more delegates and he has the popular votes. He's won more states, and bottom line, he is WINNING

May 14, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  28. andersoncnn

I found it interesting to learn from suzanne malveaux that edwards called up obama after seeing last nights results.... some of you have said we "fell" for covering the announcement and not covering clinton....while it was our lead tonite.. i would point out we are running an indepth interview with senator clinton tonite...

May 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  29. ericacnn

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

May 14, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  30. Marc Gendron

I still think Hillary is the candidate to win the general election. I disliked the way Edwards stole her victory thunder coming off from the WV victory.

If she is not the nominee...i will vote for McCain.

May 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  31. Tracey - Boston

Spencer: your comment:

Why is it so important for Barack ot get the endorsement of all these losers such as Edwards, Kerry, Kennedy, Richardson and all ex-presenditial candidates. In my opinion once you’ve lost, you are irrelavant. I would rather go with someone who doesn’t have losers backing them.

They are not exactly losers.. they have done major things for the country and their constituents

May 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  32. EJ

Hi Anderson

May 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  33. Billi

I think Elizabeth Edwards will be her own woman. I will be disappointed if she endorses Obama but if she does, I believe it will be her choice, I too will be interested to see if she shows up. If she does not, I will assume that she does not endorse him.

May 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar

You're right! Bob in Pa....
    I remember that Kerry picked Edwards in 2004 and they lost their bid to Bush and Cheney.

May 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  35. andersoncnn

good evening everyone. a lot of moving around the set tonite... so im a bit late logging in....

May 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  36. Troy

You have breaking News and then say John Edwards has endorsed Obama...I'm sorry that is far from breaking news,breaking news is the 15 thousand people and climbing dead in China,the 150 thousand or more dead in Burma...why not start an all politics channel and that way you can talk about this election 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and we people who used to turn to CNN for news can turn back to get actual news instead of this 24/7 all politics all the time channel.

May 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  37. Susan

I do not know why anyone should find John Edwards endorsement of Obama signifigant since he could not carry his home state or the state he was born in when he ran as vice president with John Kerry.

May 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  38. Carmen, Marina, CA

Right on, Bob. L. from Philly!

May 14, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  39. Kathy, Chicago

So what do you think Obama had to offer Edwards to climb on board?

May 14, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  40. Ronald Baker

Prayers should go out to those in China and Burma as they struggle to survive those major disasters.

As for John Edwards' endorsement of Barack Obama, it did what it was suppose to do which was to knock Hillary Clinton's West Virginia victory out of the news cycle. They both looked good on stage and I think Edwards will get an important post in an Obama cabinet.

May 14, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  41. CaseyJPS - California

Chuck>Well, I see your point. Guess I'm just a naive optimist.

May 14, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Chad, Asheville NC

are we serious, John Edwards. 2 failed runs for the president and one failed run as VP and somehow his opinion on the best politician is worth talking about? Guess he did not get the message that his voters are now supporting Hillary Clinton. Obama I guess can offer the sweeter pot 🙂

May 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  43. Brian Persaud

Katy> I certainly won't be embarrassed. I will be sporting my "Hillary" tee 😛

May 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  44. Angel Manners

Katy, your not remember those "independent" voters, which are usually younger which heavily support barack

May 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  45. Carmen, Marina, CA

I think Obama had to bring out Edwards now, after WV and facing KY next week. Take Hillary's thunder from WV 41% win over him and show he can give the one-two punch everyone has wanted him to give her to get her out of the race ASAP.

May 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  46. Penny

I thought it was funny when John Edwards mentioned that he had been promised a jet ski and hadn't got it yet.

Perhaps it was a subtle suggestion that he can be bought.

May 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, Ohio

Edwards was waiting for a time when he could steal the spotlight away from both Clinton and Obama and he did that this afternoon.

May 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  48. Jolene

Just because John Edwards endorses Obama, doesn't mean Elizabeth Edwards has to. She's an individual and should be able to endorse whomever she wants.

May 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar

Jason In Fla,
    Yeah! I agree with you.... It made me more embrassed! I don't why Edwards pick Obama.....

May 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  50. Rose from Southern Calif

I agree...Carmen so what thou, the process should play out itself out. The remaining states vote is important. If they make Hillary get out of the race now, it will be a mess in the dem party.

May 14, 2008 at 10:11 pm |