May 14th, 2008

Edwards to endorse Obama

David M. Reisner
360° Digital Producer

Hey Bloggers,

Breaking News: John Edwards is to endorse Sen. Barack Obama as the Democratic candidate for President...The Obama campaign tells us the announcement will occur tonight in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

We'll have the story at 10p ET. Please join us.

Filed under: Barack Obama • John Edwards • Raw Politics
  1. Marina Miller

I am one Democratic woman who will not vote for Obama. I've been a Hillary supporter for a year, and I've grown tired of pundits and Obama supporters dismissing me as racist and/or uneducated. I support Hillary because she has some depth of experience. Obama has a lot of work to do to earn my vote and the votes of many of my friends. This could be my first vote for a republican. A year ago, I could have voted for Obama, but not now.

BTW. I favor Hillary suspending her campaign, but I do not think she should endorse Obama - at least not right away. To me, it would seem insincere. She should wait it out until the convention in case the party leaders see the light.

May 14, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  2. michael wyeth

methinks obama / edwards make "dream ticket"
    for dems!
    edwards provides blue collar support !!??

May 14, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  3. Phil

Lets see:

George McGovern + presidential bid = loser
    Ted Kennedy (Midnight Aquanaut) + presidential bid = loser
    John Kerry + presidential bid = loser
    John Edwards + vice presidential bid = loser
    Good Job democrats, the song remains the same. Once again you will join hands and jump off the cliff together.
    Barack Obama + presidential bid = loser

May 14, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  4. Sheila

what a shame. I will NOT vote for barack obama if he is the candidate . And NO that will NOT change. There is not e vidence of substance with him. I will not vote on empty hopes or a veneer. Is he young and hip and affable? Why yes, but so what. I am unimpressed with those qualifications. What is it about the american people that they can't vote for the most qualified candidate-ever??? I have never been taken in by all the seducation around obama. May I remind everyone that we are voting for the presidency of the united states people, and not the prom king.

May 14, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  5. Tracey Diner

I am one of those women that will not vote for Obama if he does wind up getting the nomination. All of my female friends also will not vote for him. We are so sick of the one sided presentation of the election process. I used to be a big advocate of CNN, I must now say, I am so disappointed in your reporting of the presidential race. You have been so biased for Obama, and so have the anchors you have selected, I am disgusted!!
    Hilary is clearly the more substantial candidate, and once again, a strong woman, with more qualifications is being passed over by a clearly less qualified candidate. There isn't racism in this country, there is sexism!!!

May 14, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  6. joe

No Hillary??? I'll vote republican for the first time in 27 years, so will all of my democrat friends....

May 14, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  7. Gerry

I have been following the race for the past 8 months, I really think it is in the best interest of the democratic party that Clinton, step down from the race, there needs to be a building of the party going into the fall and every day that goes by, the republicans get one step ahead. It is time to accept the will of the American poeple and step down Hilary – PS I am a Canadian

May 14, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  8. Debra

The media and all the male endorsers? Men are too vain in politics to back a woman. Also the tee shirt with Obama,nothing is worse then the cards and shirts that paint Bush as Osoma Bin Ladin.
    I think your great Anderson,I mean it!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  9. Carla Dunn

When I see Hillary Clinton, I think of the movie Norma Rae. She fought for she and her co-workers to become Unionized and single-handedly changed the safety conditions for the factory she worked in. Yes, she lost her job, but she paved the way for other women to be strong and not give up even when the journey they are traveling gets tough. I want to make it clear that I, too, was going to vote for Obama; however, as I listened to him and actually got to know him I decided Hillary would be the best person for the job. I will not be voting for Obama. Instead, I will be voting for John McCain, whom I abhor, and will encourage anyone who will listen to me to do the same. The Democratic Party may think they can decide a nominee before all the ballots are counted, but I am here to "show" them as long as I am able to vote, I will "vote" for whomever I want. It is no longer acceptable for the Party to decide for me who I am to vote for.

May 14, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  10. Gloria Ponce Rodriguez

WOW, what an accomplishment! We have a lot of people who hate because Obama is ahead and endorsed by Edwards. I too, follow the news and do my research and I'm elated that Edwards endorsed Obama. I changed my vote a few months back for Obama.and have changed my family’s vote as well. I was appalled of all the criticism Obama received over his former Pastor’s remarks. His Pastor is not running for President. I guess Senator Clinton feels infidelity is OK... what are we telling our children. Cheating on your wife is acceptable. If the President can cheat on his wife and get away with it than it’s OK. No one is perfect- let’s focus on the issues. We need positive change and Obama is my choice. He cares for all walks of life and proved that he supports the Hispanic community by supporting the Dream Act whereas Clinton does not. Many Hispanics that I come in contact with in Fresno, CA have change their vote for Obma as well. I WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA....

May 14, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  11. Esteban, Daly City, CA

So the loser that couldn't carry his own state in the primaries has joined the other loser. BIG DEAL!!!!!

It is obvious why the Obama camp and all the pundits are trying to pressure Hillary to drop out now. The truth is that they are shaking in their pants because they see their wagon heading straight for the cliff and the only ones that are getting on his train are the people that have a invested interest on his candidacy (Corporate America) but thousands of Americans across the Country are having second thoughts about Obama and are turning away from his rhetoric.

May 14, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  12. Rosie

When I look at the candidates I am color blind. If you close your eyes and listen to each candidates ideas and ideals, you too would select Obama for President. Try it!

May 14, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  13. Trish

The Republicans have serious problems. The War, the economy, health care etc. I have yet to hear the Republican solutions to these problems. If they have solutions they should start letting us know about it.

Today I watched an interview with President Bush. He actually eluded to the fact that he gave up golf as a sign of respect for the soldiers who gave their lives in the war. What? First of all how does one make such an analogy and second he never gave up golf.

We are in Iraq for oil. Americans were lied to and we are still being lied to. McCain is a continuation of Bush and that is why the Democrats will prevail.

Trish

May 14, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  14. Shelley, IL

I have to agree that this is a political play by Edwards/Obama. And who really cares what Edwards thinks anyway. He clearly is not electable and would make a terrible choice for VP.

Why not just let everybody vote! The media is suffers from attention deficit disorder. Let's have a little patience.

Or perhaps the good ole boys in the Democratic party have decided to promote the furthering of our patriarchic society by squashing the candidacy of the most intelligent player in the race! I certainly will be sitting this one out in November.

May 14, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  15. cora

This campaign has been more like a circus. Obama hasn't explained
    how he will make changes to our health care programs or how he intends to end the war in Iraq. I don't think I could in good conscience vote for him. I also think the race card has bee played far to much. I think that Hillary has far more experience then Obama. We all have
    excess baggage . what is in the baggage shouldn't have any barring
    on their ability to do their jobs, and if it did then there would be alot of
    people without a job.

May 14, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  16. kelly in mo

raiyn you need to google popular vote.... it is not the number of "regular" delegates you have. 🙂 might help you to understand the number crunching they do

May 14, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  17. Barb

Well isn't John Edwards the one who pays 400.00 for a hair cut and then says how sorry he feels for the poor people.
    Obama needs Edwards too get the white collar workers, the ones Obama he blew off in West Virgina and the one's that he doesn't want too be bothered with, oh yea , and the one's he stopped from voting because he thought they might vote for Clinton.

May 14, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  18. today

And we are going to possibly have a president who thinks we have 57 states,and sat under a pastor for 20 years who doesn't remember being there.What is happening to America?Are we so blind and eager to beleive someone can snap their fingers and it's going to change,are we that desperate?

May 14, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  19. Susan

I was so very sad this evening when I heard that Edwards's had announced which canidate that he had chosen to endorse. It is just another example of all the political games that are played. It is also an another examle of what is wrong with the Democratic Party.
    And as a life-time Democrat it leaves with with a difficult decision. Do I not vote at all, do I vote for John McCain or do I vote for Senator Obama. At this point in time I believe that I will not vote because as we have seen in the past-it really does not matter. The powers that be have already made up the race. I will blame several for the Democratic loss in the next election. And all that the los means to America. I also blame the some of the major News Orginization's because they helped with their own behavior. That is all I have to say except we must deserve what we get and that Hilliary Clinton would have been the best choice for America. She really needs to tell the America people-to "Take this Job and Shove it."

May 14, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  20. Grace M.

It's funny how the losers such as Edwards and Kerry want to live vicariously through Obama. Edwards, the professional losing candidate. I would not let him touch me with a ten foot pole if I were a candidate.

May 14, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  21. Pat in Las Vegas

Obama and Edwards are one hot ticket – no doubt now about who the running mate should be!!!

May 14, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  22. Dan Holmes

I am not sure that I like what John Edwards did. Perhaps that's because I am rooting for Hillary. Edward' s timing, to me, is quite suspicious. Plus, I don't think that it is his duty to so-call deliver the "death blow" to the Clinton campaign. Who ordained him to be the decider of when Clinton is to end her bid? And, perhaps Edwards himself is bucking for the VP spot with Obama. LISTEN TO ME - I think that a whole lot of folks are going to be sorely disappointed and hate themselves if they put Obama in the White House! He is bad news! Just watch! Hillary is a mother, a caring woman - and she really would be a far better President than Obama. Plus, not all those votes cast for Obama are FOR Obame. Many of them are actually FOR McCain. Alot of folks feel that if they put Obama up against McCain, McCain would prevail. Somehow, people know that only Hillary is the best match for McCain.

May 14, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  23. Beverly Baglio

Barack Obama is not just black. He represents the whie and the black. He was brought up by a white mother and white grandparents. See him as representing both White and Black Americans. See his platform as the unity he embodies.

May 14, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  24. Chris, NC

I think that Edwards endorsing Obama is awesome!! Seeing the Democratic process in motion is comforting. Finally the best man will win. Hey Edwards looks like VP material to me. The only other thing to make it better is having Colin Powell but have wishful thinkin

May 14, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  25. Sims

I keep hearing over and over that the democrats that are Hillary supporters who say they will not vote for Obama will come back to the party. This will not happen with me. I've seen enough to make me turn away from the party, especially now with John Edwards endorcing Obama. What a joke. This is one democrat that will forever turn away from the party and I am not over 60 years old.

May 14, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  26. aaron

I will not vote for Obama.....peroid, but rather vote for McCain out of spite and applaud when he wins. When the "chickens come home to roost" I'll be the first to say I told you so, you made your own bed now lie in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  27. Christine McKnight

Another traitor. I know John Edwards does not hole the same values as Obama. I think he is a man of much higher standards but obviously the party has pressured him too. Erica is so wrong. I am a female Hillary supporter who will never support Obama due to the fact that I do not trust the man. I think the Democrats have sold out all of us except for the Obama supporters. I am adamant about this. The pasrty has lost alot of support here in Michigan. The Dems made a choice and they have disavowed Mi and all of the women who were Dems. But yes they will keep the Black vote. I want Hillary to run as an Independent but for some reason she wants to support this party that has done nothing but trash her. Now they have the audicity to think maybe she could be the VP The woman standing beside the man again even though she is much more qualified, I still would not vote for that man Obama even if he put on Hillary as VP, It is a nothing job.

May 14, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Carol, WI

Wow, Ii got here kind of late and am trying to catch up, but I can't believe all the hateful remarks about Edwards from the Hillary supporters. Would you have the same opinions if he had endorsed your candidate? Don't worry about him being on the VP spot on the ticket, he will be much better suited for a prominent cabinent position and would probably prefer it. I thought the politicalticker comments were getting bad, but now even the AC comments are starting to sound like the Jerry Springer Show.

May 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  29. cj-delhi ny

Thank you John Edwards...the democrats are coming together at last. Carter and Gore are next, and yes Hillary we need you too!

Obama 08

May 14, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Barbara

Please stop saing you don't believe we won't vote for obama cause
    I can guarantee you that no amount of money could coerce me or
    10 members of my family to ever vote for obama. You all just keep
    pushing him on us and John McCain will certainly be our next
    president. If we have endured 8 years of bush, we can surely
    endure 4 of McCain. NEVER OBAMA, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  31. la doctora

I am utterly disappointed and dismayed that Edwards joined those who thought they needed to prematurely endorse before all the states had voted! HILLARY has millions of supporters - I am one of them - and we do not want to vote for Obama. HILLARY is our candidate for the nomination. I think that the woman the other night when Erika interviewed a group of them said it well - People may be taken by the idea of Obama but not by the ideas of Obama. That speaks for me! Hillary, on the other hand, has ideas and experience. I've advocated all my activist life for a woman in the White House as President. Hillary is the one!

May 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  32. debbie

Can someone tell who is Obama. And do you think he really would have divorced Wright if Wright wouldn't acted out?

May 14, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  33. mary

I am a 60 yr. old white woman who will not vote for Hillary Clinton if Obama is not the nominee. I live in MN & know lots of 55-65 yr. old women in MN who will not vote for Clinton either.
    Mary from MN

May 14, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  34. Robert Chirila

Edwards is not bringing anything new to the table, except one more liberal elitist promoting the candidate of the political left of the democratic party. Barack needs to convince me through ideas, not charismatic substance empty speeches. Right now McCain looks more promising and if he emphasizes the economy and the environment as Hillary has so far, I already know where my vote will go in the fall.

May 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  35. Wendy

Thank you, John Edwards for endorsing someone who really wants unity and economic strength again in this country, like some many of the other bloggers, politicians, and voters don't want. I don't think the problem with Senator OBAMA is not reaching the white working class but it's the media's trying to isolate Senator OBAMA from the working class by over play the Reverend Wright situation 100 times a day. I don't think Senator OBAMA 's issue is not reaching the WHITE WORKING CLASS IN WEST VIRIGINA INSTEAD, THE WHITE WORKING OF WEST VIRIGINA IS NOT WILLING TO REACH OUT TO SOMEONE OTHER THAN THEIR OWN RACE, AS WE KNOW 90% OF WEST VIRIGINA IS CAUCASIAN, SO GO FIGURE.

GO OBAMA 2008

May 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  36. linda hemmingsen

I don't get it?edwards said he would endorse someone who has the same ideals as him. Why ?obama he believes in late term abortions, he is not for universal health care. he does not connect in any way with the working and middle class. he has associates of corrupt people and he has not given the people specifics about what change is going to be or how he is going to pay for it. he is against everything edwards questioned him on in the debates. so my question is if obama has not changed has edwards speaches on the debates been lies and not what he believes in?

May 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  37. annetta

I also want to say that I am so tired of being a racist for not supporting Obama. I don't think he is experienced enough and we've had 8 years of a president learning on the job; I don't know how he acts under pressure; and I also do not like his stand on my principle issues of health care of all and building a strong, sustainable economy. If those reasons make me a racist, then maybe I actually am one.

May 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  38. Kelvin

You can bet one thing, I have voted Democratic for 35 years I will never vote for Obama ......... he lived and ate Rev Wright for twenty years ...........leopard never changes his spots. Hillary suporter or Mccain

May 14, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Shontell from Michigan

I am an educated African American who is supporting Obama because I believe he can make a change. Just for the record, African Americans are not the majority in this country. Obama cannot have more superdelegates, pledged delegates and the popular vote, just based on the "black" vote. He is someone who can bring this country together. Let's focus on his policies, not his race.

May 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Irish Gram

One inept politician endorsing another inept politician equal 2 inept politicians, both losers.

Guess the two of them call each other sweetie when they are alone doing whatever.

May 14, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  41. ML

it is amazing that Obama has such a popularity no matter his misspeaking ( the latest "sweetee" = a little bit too close to call a reporer this way ...she is not his "sweetee", she is professional).
    He does not seem to say things right, and still people go for him...any idea what is this attraction?
    It is so sad that this country is afraid of a woman to be a leader.

May 14, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Carol, WI

Just tuned in and caught the end of your red/blue electoral map discussion on the swing states before commercial break. Chalk up WI for an Obama win. The latest local polls have Obama beating McCain here in WI but Hillary losing to McCain. These polls were taken after the Rev. Wright scandal part 2, but before Obama's big win last week and obviously before the Edwards endorsement. I am calling WI for Obama. Even my VERY Republican husband may vote for him.

May 14, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  43. Linda

Wow, for a man who wasn't ready to make a decision, that didn't take long. That really was a stab in the back, talk about traitor, this is a very smart women. Is it like it was in the debates, the men against the women? Are you guys afraid Sen Clinton will get the headlines for a day or two, therefore she might get the momentum for good. One thing for certain from what Mr Cooper just said he and everyone at CNN wants her out . Sure nice to have such objectivity at a so called news network , of course Carl Berstein and the rest of your pundits are all bias against Sen Clinton,so I figure the reason is because the network is bias toward her. If this continues to play out like this, so unfair, Mr McCain will get another vote. You people don't understand IT'S THE UNFAIRNESS OF THE MEDIA, not really the candidates.

May 14, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Peter Foxworth

1. HE KNOWS THAT OBAMA WILL BE THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE.
    2. HE KNOWS THAT OBAMA CAN'T WIN THE GENERAL ELECTION.
    3. HE KNOWS THAT HILLARY WILL TELL EVERYONE "I TOLD YOU SO"
    4. HE KNOWS THAT HILLARY WILL RUN IN 2012
    5. EDWARDS WILL RUN AGAIN IN 2012
    6. HE KNOWS THAT NOW OBAMA WILL HAVE TO ENDORSE HIM IN 2012 AS PAYBACK.

Edwards knows this and he is making a calculated move. Obama's supporters may end up blaming Hillary for Obama's loss of the general election and, an Obama endorsement of Edwards in 2012 can make him the Democratic Nominee.

And of course, once again... THE DEMOCRATS WILL FAIL IN WINNING THE PRESIDENCY, AGAIN.

P. Foxworth, Chigago, IL

May 14, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Jennifer Nelson

I've never been more disappointed in John Edwards as I am today. These endorsements should have waited until the Democratic race was over. Maybe he thinks he'll get the VP spot? Either way, I think people should pay serious attention to those of us who say we will NOT vote for Obama if he is the Democratic Nominee. I won't vote Republican, but neither will I vote for Obama, with Edwards behind him or not. If Senator Clinton is not the nominee, then I say let the Republicans win and deal with the mess they've left behind after 8 years of Bush Junior! And as a MI resident who is angry that her state party messed this up, i do hope that our delegates will at the very least, be seated at the convention. What a mess!

May 14, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Sandy

Maybe John Edwards wants to run again in 2012. Obama will lost this fall.

May 14, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  47. marvin knoblauch

i think that the media does a great disservice tothe voters when there is so much talk about barack obama being the first black man elected president. maybe the media could also focus on the fact that he is also half white.

May 14, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Shontell from Michigan

I am hopeful that the Democratic Party will come together and support our nominee. I am an Obama supporter, but if Clinton wins the nomination, I will support her. It saddens me to see that Clinton supporters will not vote for Obama. People seem to forget that Obama is a viable candidate because he has the education and vision to take this country in a better direction...he just happens to be black. Oh, by the way, did everyone forget that he is half white?

May 14, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  49. annetta

Oh John, I hope the payment is worth it because you have lost my respect. Only 3 more weeks and the party is not being ruined while the last few states vote.

May 14, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Lisa Finch

Although the Edwards endorsement is a huge deal, the far greater coup was where the event was held. The Van Andel Arena appeared to be filled to capacity and it is a huge venue...in the heart of the most fire engine red, Republican area of Michigan!

May 14, 2008 at 10:12 pm |