May 14th, 2008

Edwards to endorse Obama

David M. Reisner
360° Digital Producer

Hey Bloggers,

Breaking News: John Edwards is to endorse Sen. Barack Obama as the Democratic candidate for President...The Obama campaign tells us the announcement will occur tonight in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

We'll have the story at 10p ET. Please join us.

Filed under: Barack Obama • John Edwards • Raw Politics
  1. dusty from florida

its funny that the only candidate who has been endorsed by a man who has actually one the presidency is Hillary. we still love You Bill!

May 14, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  2. Jim in Colorado

Both senators Obama and Clinton have been clear on their positions and what their policies would be...this in mind, I can't help being dismayed by the timing of former candidate Edwards' "endorsement" of Obama.
    While I would like to believe that Edwards' efforts are to help close the democratic race and allow the nominee to move ahead against McCain, if Sen Obama offers the vice presidency to Mr. Edwards (should he finally win the nomination and Sen Clinton concedes) I'm afraid I may have to reconsider my support of the democrats.
    This would raise real ethical issues with both of these gentleman's motives and judgement.
    I'm a staunch democrat and strongly supported Gore and Kerry against the incompetence that we've dealt with in the White House for the last 8 years, but as a gay man I've already experienced 8 years of no representation, and I'd have a problem supporting a ticket that ignores the choice of nearly half of the dems that have gone to the polls.

May 14, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  3. We Are One

United, we are one Great Nation, divided we fall. Today, John Edwards took one large step, supporting Barack Obama. Tomorrow, more will follow. Soon, it will be a flood of Super Delegates.

In the coming election, you can help turn this Great Country in the correct direction, bring both sides of the aisle together, and great things will happen. Money will be kept in the Country, not tossed overseas in a multitude of blank checks. It is time to take a stand, and tell the Administration, "No More". The typical politics, pandering, lobbying, and gridlock have got to end, and NOW. It is your Country and every other good patriotic Americans'. You will be heard. It is TIME, the FUTURE is NOW. Our problems are so large, we CANNOT WAIT any longer.

VOTE FOR BARACK OBAMA !

This Country WILL stand proud! United for all.

May 14, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  4. solomon

John King and Wolf Blitzer,

Sorry about your losses. However hard you try to show that Obama is damaged hence Clinton has a better chance or when that fails Obama should offer Clinton the veep spot, he will march on unfazed by your frontal attack. The sooner you get over your loyalty to your former masters and get on with the program the better. The only damaged good in this primary fight is the CNN brand. You may not know this but you come across as hopeless and delusional. CNN, IT'S OVER! It's over for your shrill and pathetic candidate and "Dukakis" has won. Nuts!

May 14, 2008 at 9:58 pm |
  5. Jackal from Boston, MA

Why do people think voters in Florida and Michigan have been cheated? The DNC warned the party officials in those states not to break the rules and they did anyway. Obama wasn't even on the ballot in Michigan. The party officials broke the rules and these are the consequences. Their party officials in those states should be punished by losing their positions. Who knows how those elections would have turned out if they were conducted properly and fairly? Since the answer is unknowable, so I suggest King Solomon's solution (i.e., split the delegates 50/50 Clinton/Obama).

May 14, 2008 at 9:52 pm |
  6. dusty from florida

I find it completely laughable that the very men who have been denied the presidency (EDWARDS, RICHARDSON, DODD, KENNEDY, KERRY) are literally lining up to endorse the only MAN left in this race.
    I would like all Americans to note this. I would ask anyone who feels as i do, that it is wrong for the only female candidate left in the race to be denied the nomination simply because these men cannot stand the idea of a woman holding the office that was clearly denied to them.

I would like for anyone sharing this view to donate to Hillary Clinton tonight. Wether you like her or hate her, she has the clearest vision for our country, and where our country needs to be.

I just donated again to Hillary, lets see it out to the end people. if she is still willing to get out there against all of these democratic men who are going out of their way to take this away from her, then i am willing to give her the $$ to do it.

by the way,Edwards is a complete flip flopper, he certainly won't be giving this white working class male's vote to Obama, ever!

May 14, 2008 at 9:48 pm |
  7. Linda R. South Carolina

Obama states he has been in 57 states in the United States .The last account I had there was 50 states I don.t know what country he is traveling in. I guess Edwards has to vote with Screaming Dean and Pelosi. I did not know Edwards was so gulible. I did vote for him but now I want my vote back . I think I should have a say in my delgates choice. My choice is not Obama.

May 14, 2008 at 9:48 pm |
  8. Illinois

Funny, but Edwards couldn't stand Obama when they were competing against each other. Edwards said that Obama was completely inexperienced, hypocritical, and was an example of poor leadership. My, how things change when you're paid well enough to do an endorsement.

May 14, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  9. ophelia/FL

Edward SAID that he had already placed his VOTE, so he already KNEW who he was backing!!! He seen WV's were being raciest, and that is not what our country needs!!!

May 14, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  10. Jeff

As a democrat committeeperson, I have not been able to convince myself to vote for Obama.

Especially when his campaign was so intent on holding FL and MI back from a revote. Now he dismisses his loss in WV and upcoming in KY to set the bar low, as if they do not matter either. Can you imaging if Hillary would have said NC is not my base so who cares? When he visited our area, he did not give people who were on the fence a reason to vote for him. In fact he was cold and even snubbed those that were Clinton supporter but were looking for good reason to say "ya know I like Hillary, but Barack is my second choice. He really blew it. These would have been the same people that would have work hard for him this fall and he snubbed them.

Jeff
    PA

May 14, 2008 at 9:46 pm |
  11. Lynn

Good for Edwards!!! Its about time. I wish that people would start talking about Hillary's obligation to the party to help bring in her so called demographic groups. If she wants her campaign debt paid off she has to bring this to the table. There is no reason Obama should lose in November if she lives up to obligation as a member of this party. But then again, she said she would abide by the DNC rules concerning Michigan and Florida, now she wants to count this as part of her total of popular vote. Obama was NOT on the ballot so she won by default. Or is because of the Clinton reign and she should be able to count an election where she was not opposed. Start asking her the hard questions, what would happen if she were in the White House, renig on her promise to bring the troops home because it seems to be the convenient thing to do? She has got to go home, take a break and then come out swinging for her party's nominee. thank you

May 14, 2008 at 9:46 pm |
  12. Kathy, Chicago

Wow! My first reaction was how much did Obama either pay him or promise him. My second reaction was that this will make an exit for HRC easier. I liked Tom Forman's doors the other night. I think that Hillary should ride this out gracefully to the convention. She can position herself for 2012. There is no need for any other action. As for Obama, Al Gore did not use Clinton to help him with hiscampaign and Edwards did not even carry his own state with Kerry. We all know what happened in those elections. Mr. Obama, I think you are a fool. I think now that Edwards is with Obama, the rest of us 15,000,000 HRC supporters can relax and stay home in Nov..

May 14, 2008 at 9:42 pm |
  13. ophelia/FL

Edwards indorcement is great! He is a Honest Man. I was for him before he drop out, and always new in my heart that he would be backing Barack Obama, One honest man with enough time would see another honest man.
    Yes...We..Can.

May 14, 2008 at 9:40 pm |
  14. Tony

Edwards for VEEP!!!

May 14, 2008 at 9:39 pm |
  15. Al

Now McCain can pack his bags and grab his walker and go home, its all over for him but the crying and I really can't stand to see a old man cry, [6 months of crying] is more then the people can stomach! Go home McBush!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 at 9:32 pm |
  16. GAIL AL;

I think the demoractic party have lost thier mines, wanting to decide the nomination before everyone has voted. If this happens may 31 I will never vote a demoractic ticket again, and I have been a democrate allmy life.I will vote REPUBLICIAN OR NOT VOTE. Obama is for change, well thats all you will have left is a little change in your pocket. if you vote for him.

May 14, 2008 at 9:32 pm |
  17. Lynn

How sad Edwards, just another fake!!! Well at least Dems are taking back the House and Senate they will restrict McCain until 2012 when we can hopefully get it right. Obama will not go to the White House. His supporters have bullied his way to the nom., now McCain will go to the White House, I have no problem voteing for a true American Hero over a racist, self serving, divicive blow hard. No substanc only ot air.

May 14, 2008 at 9:30 pm |
  18. Pattie

Too bad. I was an Edwards supporter from the beginning, as was my family. We loved his populism, which now has become opportunism. I have no respect for this. This has been a strange election. My 27- year-old daughter and my 19-year-old son are privileged to have been a part f an election where American people had their say. But the Democratic party seems intent on denying the people their power. Respectfully, it is not the party–or the media–that matters here. It is the people, Always the people, Listen to them. I've lost respect for Howard Dean. I've lost respect for CNN. Now I've lost respect for Edwards. He had the right to endorse anyone. I don't like the timing. Shame on him. We'll never believe in him again. And we are the people. We are not statistics.

May 14, 2008 at 9:26 pm |
  19. victor / south florida

This from the man who, on Larry King, said it was not appropriate to declare WHO he would back on MONDAY this week. Now after Hillary's HUGE win in W. Virginia did he decide to back the other candidate? SMELLS OF POLITICAL FAVORS/ " I SCRATCH YOUR BACK , YOU GIVE ME THE VICE-PRESIDENT SEAT!!! Way to go Edwards.
    Like James Carville said earlier on that voters, in the voting booth, dont care WHO endorsed WHO. Man's a genious!

May 14, 2008 at 9:26 pm |
  20. Edwards My Hero

Oh happy day!! Now it's Hillary turn to joing the party.

May 14, 2008 at 9:24 pm |
  21. Jackal from Boston, MA

Please dismiss Hillary Clinton's assertion that only she can win the swing states against McCain. In the 1990 primary, Bill Clinton lost Arizona, New Hampshire, Mass, Maryland, Deleware, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Iowa, and Colorado to the other democratic candidates in the primary. However, in the general election later that year against Bush senior, Bill won all those states except South Dakota and Arizona. My point is that Obama will be able to win many of the states in the contest against McCain that he lost to Hillary in the primary including possible swing states.

May 14, 2008 at 9:24 pm |
  22. James

It is very cowardly opportunistic to wait until the last minute and surprisingly endorse the candidate almost sure to be chosen as the nominee...
    I was a very enthusiastic supporter of John Edwards until today...Why didn't you John Edwards announce your endorsement months ago?...
    Any respect I had for you before has evaporated today...
    And you leaders of the democratic party out there, if you think we (long time) democrats are going to vote for Obama just because he is the chosen candidate, you all are wrong...
    Not all republicans are like George Bush and his friend Cheney...Many of us (also democrats) have a lot of respect and admiration for John McCain, even if we don't agree with some of his ideas...
    Wait and see in November and the cruel reality will hit the democratic party very hard...the media bubble of celebrity status created around Obama will soon burst...
    A new phenomenon will arise is that of the "McCain democrats"...whether you want to believe it or not...at least all my relatives and friends are clear about it...

May 14, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  23. william macenauer

Good, Good , Good.
    At last a peoples man. And, Edwards should probably deserve second prize, also a peoples man.
    CNN and others must be nervous now eh? Don't know which way to sqirm now. The biggies might have to start kissing some butt soon or pay the consequences.
    I have a feeling justice will be served at last, if no foul play is in mind.
    I just don`t know how this new leader could possibly mend the wounds that have been so greadily afflicted over the so many years of manipulating innocent people with false hopes and promeses from past leaders, that have never been fully delivered because of personal gread and corruption.
    I can`t say enough.
    One final word, Glenn Beck, there are pledged deligates, super delegates, and super idiots, and you fall under the third category. YOU SCAPE GOAT.
    William

May 14, 2008 at 9:21 pm |
  24. Greg Erie PA

Big deal! What does John Edwards bring to the table? You pundents make mountains out of mole hills. HELLO! He dropped out of the race because no one agreed with him.
    Why would white middle class voters suddenly vote for Sen. Obama? Just because John Edwards endorsed him! He would do better with an endorsement from David Duke.

May 14, 2008 at 9:15 pm |
  25. Alain Adunagow

Every now and then, you get leaders that don’t leave a mark for the people and definetly make no positive impact or advancement in mankind’s society; but there comes a time where and when the people thirst for change. So they look for a leader that will create an environment of change, that will inspire the old man to dream again, and the young to acquire generational visions, an environment that makes you feel proud of the land you belong to and so fight for; and this is THAT TIME, FOLKS…

Let’s setup the table for great innovative, pioneering, and inspirational leadership; a leadership that will make you blurt out “YES, WE CAN!” in the middle of your dream while surrounded with debris and tracks of previous poor leadership results.

IT IS TIME TO DREAM AND MAKE IT HAPPEN AGAIN AMERICA!

IT’S TIME TO MAKE WAY FOR THE BRAVE.

LET’S STEP-CHANGE OUR ACTS, TAKE THE HILLS IN OUR LIVES, CAST DOWN IMAGINATIONS THAT SOMEONE ELSE HAS TO DO IT FOR US… YES, WE CAN!!!

Alain Adunagow
    (Irvine, CA)

PS: I wouldn’t be too fast in declaring an OBAMA-EDWARDS duo… Ever thought about OBAMA-GORE??

May 14, 2008 at 9:13 pm |
  26. lois in NY

CNN, Obama is your man – Anderson Cooper spends a whole day with the man out on the campaign trail; when questioned about why not spend time with Hillary – Mr. AC is waiting for invite to spend the day on the campaign trail. I thought when you wanted a story you went out after it – guess we did not want Hillary's story bad enough. I will not vote for Obama, just on the "change" he has promised – lots of talk about change, but not how he will make this change happen. so what we have here is Obama with know experience and Edwards another loser, hoping for VP – what a ticket!!

May 14, 2008 at 9:05 pm |
  27. E. Jones

Edwards should have stayed on the sideline and let the voters finish their say. If he didn't endorse Obama in North Carolina, why would he do it now right after Clinton's big win in West Virginia, ahead of Kentucky, and just three weeks before all of the primaries are over? Could it be that the boys are afraid of what the girl might do? I wonder what he was promised. Hmm! Let's let this process play out. No coronation please. Let's be sure we have the best candidate to win in the fall.

May 14, 2008 at 9:05 pm |
  28. Diem- Washington, DC

It's time for Hillary to step to the side. In the beginning I supported her as time went by I changed my mind. I will vote for Obama in Nov.

May 14, 2008 at 8:59 pm |
  29. betsy

LA Times reports today that Edwards had $8.9 million in campaign debts, is expected to use "the promise" of matching federal funds to pay the debt . . . and is "not likely to need Obama's help to discharge what he owes." Obliquely, what that doesn't say is whether Edwards and Obama could have come to a financial agreement for Edward's overinflated endorsement. Is Edwards getting his wish to be Attorney General? Vice President?

May 14, 2008 at 8:56 pm |
  30. Raiyn Florida

-Joey Miller, I live in Florida and voted for John Edwards, I now support Obama. The facts are these: Florida and Michigan violated DNC rules by pushing their primaries ahead – the penalty was that the votes wouldn't count. It was agreed upon by all of the Democratic candidates that none of them would campaign in either state. (A ruling that was violated by Hillary Clinton) Obama wasn't even on the ballot in Michigan, now I ask you how the hell is that fair?

-Linda R. Thank you for that blatant display of racism and ignorance. I'm sure you're a proud upstanding member of the Daughters of Dixie with all this talk about you not voting for Obama because he's black and "all his voters" being black or somehow being race traitors.

I'm a white male who'd vote for a green woman with orange spots if she meshed with my values, however Hillary has done nothing but play the same ol song and dance routine and play the Republican's game for them. I for one, don't want to see the Bush- Clinton Dynasty continue. For the last 20 years it's been either a Bush or a Clinton in the White House so you either had rank stupidity or sleazeballs making shady deals like NAFTA.

It's time for change and that doesn't mean Dubya ver. 1.5 or as he's more commonly known John "Geezer" McCain.

May 14, 2008 at 8:53 pm |
  31. Raiyn Florida

One more thing, Obama has more regular delegates than Mrs. Clinton so therefore HE has the popular vote.

May 14, 2008 at 8:48 pm |
  32. Jan

In 2004 they claimed Kerry was a flip-flopper. It appears Edwards is one as well. He had said he would stay in the race through Super Tuesday, then abruptly pulled out. Why? Because he would take more votes away from Obama than Clinton. Edwards claimed he would endorse the candidate who would pledge to do the most to end poverty. Maybe I missed it, but when has Obama taken a serious stand on ending poverty? Then there is the health care issue. Obama's plan does not cover everyone, but Clinton and Edwards' plan did. How disappointing you are, John Edwards.

May 14, 2008 at 8:47 pm |
  33. Jim

Good to see John Edwards trying to bring the party together around the Democrat who can win against McCain. I can't wait for the Gore endorsement.

Give it up Hillary supporters. If you are a true Democrat support the candidate who can win. The Democratic party has boldly brought forward two non white male candidates this year.

This is a great target for the Republicans as they have no new policies. Bush and McCain repeat the same tired failed Republican party policys over and over. Republicans believe the government belongs to white men.

Conservative means no changes, things are great as they are, think inside the box. Obama is for change and that is unnaceptable to Republicans. Republicans want to run against a candidate with the most baggage.

Hillary has a swift boat load of baggage for Republicans to feed prime time network show watchers in the fall. They can load the swift boat up if she is either the candidate or VP candidate. Obama has carry on baggage. Hillary needs a full cargo hold for the Clinton's baggage.

I understand women feeling they are missing their chance. Cheer up there are lots of good women with little baggage who should run in the future.

May 14, 2008 at 8:44 pm |
  34. Emma

Joyce, in my opinion, Lou Dobbs does not have a problem with Obama because he "may become our nation's first Black American....president." He just points out that voters in Florida and Michigan should not be disenfranchised. I believe 2.5 million people voted and now their votes will probably not count. I have not heard anything that suggests that Lou Dobbs has a problem with Obama because he's black.

May 14, 2008 at 8:43 pm |
  35. spencer

Edwards is a loser, just like Kerry, Kennedy, Richardson..Like a losers endorsement really matters..............

May 14, 2008 at 8:39 pm |
  36. Annie Kate

What ever happened to the super delegates waiting until the primaries played out and not rush to judgment until then? This looks more like a bid for the Vice President slot instead of a real endorsement.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

May 14, 2008 at 8:35 pm |
  37. pat

i have lost all respect for edwards to come out an support oboma the day after such a big win for hillary it was really a slap in the face to her.why cant these super delagates wait until the american people have all had a chance to all vote in this primary,that is what hillary is trying to do let all americans have a vote i have had it with the democratic party &there crazy rules for the first time in my life since i have been able to vote (i am 65)i will most likely be sitting home on election day i will not vote for mcain& and i do not think obama will do a good job there are to many unanswerd questions about him,we need someone really strong to get us out of the mess bush has got us into and i dont think oboma is the one to do it

May 14, 2008 at 8:29 pm |
  38. Elaine Poole

I think the endorsement was an introduction to the Demo ticket this fall. I believe Edwards get the VP nod. Good move!

May 14, 2008 at 8:26 pm |
  39. jes from Ontario

Americans are a hard species to understand. First they vote in Bush not once but twice. Now it looks like USA is going to elect the only male in the USA more inept when it comes to politics - Obama. America is losing two (2) wars, in debt to nearly every country on the globe, economy going bankrupt, families losing their homes, country overrun with illegal immigrants etc. etc. etc. HAHAHA! Only in America could so many people, be so stupid & self destructive. Bye Bye Yanks!

May 14, 2008 at 8:20 pm |
  40. Jeanine

Very disappointing. John Edwards was my choice for president, but when he dropped out, Hillary was clearly the best remaining candidate. I believe Edwards got it wrong. Obama has been divisive to the party, not Hillary. Obama seems like a friendly guy, but I certainly don't see him as a president. John McCain isn't so bad--I wanted a democrat, but he will do.

May 14, 2008 at 8:20 pm |
  41. Bob

Terrible. Does anyone remember how Edwards treated Obama during the debates? Edwards is just pumping up his speaking fees for the future, when McCain is in office because of this circus. A joint ticket with Clinton and Obama, and Edwards as AG might put together enough supports to pull off the fall. Obama alone is handing it right back to the repubs.

May 14, 2008 at 8:13 pm |
  42. Ann

To all the people saying UNITE.....great...tell Obama that Hillary is the best candidate with the experience to run the country and he can be HER running mate. Otherwise...you all WILL get another 4 years of Republicans....looks like it would be obvious as to why Clinton supporters will not vote for Obama...he's not President material. So, if you all are really serious about uniting....great...Hillary for President....Obama for Vice President...no problem!

May 14, 2008 at 8:12 pm |
  43. Christine

Look, Edwards was too weak to stay in for President – what good will he do now? I really hope people are not fooled by this suspicious backing now. Is he trying to get the working white vote that he is overlooking everytime?

Backing by Kennedy (who is only around because of his name), Kerry (big mistake by Democratic party for President), Edwards (too weak for president), personally wouldn't want any of them in my corner.

I have lost all faith in the Democratic party.

May 14, 2008 at 8:12 pm |
  44. Ed

It is just a part of the Obama feeding frenzy going on right now. Thanks to the media he will be the Democratic candidate. He is more newsworthy than a woman and will sell more air time. What a way to pick a President.

May 14, 2008 at 8:11 pm |
  45. Steven

This makes my stomach turn! I can't believe that Edwards is backing
    Obama. His views and democratic issues were the same as Hillary Clintons during the primary races. What did Edwards do a 360 and
    decide to change his beliefs or is he getting some kind of behind the
    scenes pay-back? Obama has already suckered enough Americans
    into thinking he is the #1 candidate. I can't see it at all, why are these
    people following Obama? All the violence, drugs, hatred, poverty,
    killings, profanity, sex, and FEAR has been portrayed by the black noise (rap music) and movies pictating their lives gives me reason
    for concern!!! My mother thinks Obama is the Anti-Christ! I laughed!
    You never know what is going thru people's minds!

May 14, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  46. Ann

John Edwards is nothing to brag about..just another traitor. But Hillary doesn't need him anyway. Kinda like McGovern...just another loser at anything they go at...To all you Hillary supporters...give Obama enough time...he will screw it up all by himself. Just like calling the reporter "sweetie".....wonder how long Michelle will be proud to be an American when her hubby messes up! He just can't measure up to Hillary's intelligence. He doesn't have a clue how to be a President of anything....let alone our country!

May 14, 2008 at 8:08 pm |
  47. Teresa, OH

I soooo wanted Edwards to stay in the race. I think he would have brought a much needed calmness and dignity to the white house that perhaps the other two democrats might not as they are "tainted" politically. Endorsements mean NOTHING to me.

I am now disgusted with Edwards making ANY endorsement. Part of me thinks he did it to be asked to be on the Obama ticket. I hope Obama goes back and plays Mr. Edwards early speeches on his opponents. I also think now that it APPEARS Obama may be the democratic winner, Edwards thinks there might be a job in it for himself. I do not care for Edwards having done this. It doesn't look good politically.

May 14, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  48. joyce

Anderson –
    I am an constant viewer of CNN because it's the best station in the country and I'm glad that there is no more coverage of Brittney, or Lindsey. I want to say that Lou Dobbs seems to have a real problem with the fact that Sen. Obama just may become our nation's first Black
    American to become president. He just goes on and on about Florida and Michian as if Sen. Obama had something to do with the primaries being moved. Yet, he doesn't display the same fervor over Sen. Clinton. He needs to digest the possibility that he may like the rest of us, have a president, who just happens to be Black. Hillary assumed she was the heir apparent with the intention of sweeping over the country and getting the nomination, but surprise, surprise, here is this young man of color who just burst her bubble. She and Bill need to get over themselves and just deal with it like Lou!

May 14, 2008 at 8:04 pm |
  49. Sarah

this proves my point.......no loyalty in the Democratic party.

May 14, 2008 at 8:03 pm |
  50. Barb, Des Plaines, IL

John Edwards has always impressed me as the most principled, intelligent politician of our day. If he supports Obama, that says a lot for Obama. Nobody knows you as well as somebody who studied you to campaign against you.
    I've always liked Elizabeth,too, and hope she's doing well. It would certainly be ironic if she supports Hillary as I suspect she does.
    God bless John and Elizabeth Edwards! God bless Obama!

May 14, 2008 at 8:02 pm |