May 14th, 2008

Edwards to endorse Obama

David M. Reisner
360° Digital Producer

Hey Bloggers,

Breaking News: John Edwards is to endorse Sen. Barack Obama as the Democratic candidate for President...The Obama campaign tells us the announcement will occur tonight in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

We'll have the story at 10p ET. Please join us.

Filed under: Barack Obama • John Edwards • Raw Politics
  1. Kent, Illinois

That is terrific. I do not think Edwards is interested in VP though. I think he just wants to unite the party. The only one interested in seeing Hillary fight this ridiculous battle is Hillary. The fight is over Hillary. You are a wonderful politician..........but it is over.

UNITE alongside the next President of the United States,

Barack Obama

May 14, 2008 at 7:58 pm |
  2. Linda R. South Carolina

I don't see why you did not post my other blog.I think Edwards supporting Obama is a joke and Edwards is a traitor . This is America and not Obama country .We all know all Obama voters are of black race and the other one to vote for him think they owe the blacks.I owe no one any thing. I will support Mccain if they put Barack in as nominee. People getting paid to be super delegates or bought is stupid. I guess the Kennedys are happy to know he looks like past Kennedy .Really you people get real Baracks wife looks and sounds like a black angry person.We do not need a under weather president.

May 14, 2008 at 7:58 pm |
  3. Joyce

Dear Anderson
    How can John Edwards endorse Obama when his
    Health Care plan was the same as Hillary's?
    When I watched the debate Edwards & Hillary disagreed with Obama on the issue of health care Plan.
    Some of us are very disappointed with Edwards, I thought that he was genuine and concerned about the health care programme.
    I think some endorsers & some super delagates have something against Hillaryor simply jealous, these endorsers should keep their personal differences aside and look at the experience Hillary and the work she has done, she has always been a hardworker don't you think?
    I have lots of relatives in US they too are disappointed and will vote for Mccain. Hope CNN does bring up this question.
    Obama won election based on African American voters, they were loyal to him. Obama 's age got votes from students(not forgeting their parents) not his experience or for whatever work he has done as a Senator and he is a good speaker and very convincing, He needs more experience and if elected will be a puppet on a string with his endorsers. My family in US ( so am I ) are perplexed. Is this how a nomination is based on????

Very disappointed with this outcome. I am concerned who the next President would be, because of Canadian Bussiness in the U.S.
    Whatever problems effect US does affect the world.

JD

May 14, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  4. Irish Gram

Looks like the "Good Ole Boys Club". I will not vote for Senator Obama even if he picked Santa Claus as his running mate.

Looks like Senator McCain is going to be elected by rational Democrats.

May 14, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  5. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Thank you John Edwards......it is certainly about time

Go Obama!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  6. Maritza

How perfect the blind leading the blind" arrogance to match , $400? or $600 haircuts while walking around New Orleans devestation, what a shame , they both gloss over in generic rhetoric, lack of substance , and what is most important and relevant to the job EXPERIENCE , demonstrated by action, hands on with years of serving our country. Not the philosophy of flighty words hope..... change.... ??? voters need to do their research , investigate and make an educated decision on who they vote for.

Maritza

May 14, 2008 at 7:42 pm |
  7. George Prince

It is my opinion that CNN is spending an inordinate amount of time covering the US presidential campaign when several countries are in dire need of attention and support from the world community. When 911 took place, the world community focused their attention on US assistance and support. It is a US embarrassment to subordinate these global disasters to the recycled news of a US presidential campaign.

May 14, 2008 at 7:38 pm |
  8. quanyin

Upward, Onward, Obamaward (Obama/Edwards)

May 14, 2008 at 7:32 pm |
  9. Fred

The endorsement is happening now. The nomination process is over. Obama is on his way no question about it. Obama has come into politics with his own movement of good and right judjment and things are going to change for better in the world.

May 14, 2008 at 7:31 pm |
  10. Lisa

Not sure how endorsing Obama means Edwards will be the VP ...
    And @Vince in CA, I'd go with the popular vote but that, unfortunately, is not apparently how our election systems.

At the very least, the last few elections and this primary have certainly spotlighted a need for change in how voting is done.

May 14, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  11. Lady Heather

~Vince in CA: You know that Dean and the DNC is behind this timing! This was obviously carefully planned to draw attention away from Clinton's big win last night.

John Edwards is nothing more than a hypocritic elitist with a four hundred dollar haircut.

May 14, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  12. Larry

Didn't know that John Edwards was currently the senator from anywhere; maybe he's the senator from that bridge to nowhere.

And he's different from Hillary's views how?

I see, he's setting the stage for nationalizing anything and everything.

Will you stop saying 'Marxism'?

May 14, 2008 at 7:27 pm |
  13. Michael, NC

Man, I used to really like John Edwards... 🙂

May 14, 2008 at 7:26 pm |
  14. Mary Davenport

Dear Anderson,
    Here is what I as a voter, think of the DNC rules: they are positively UNDEMOCRATIC! The votes look like they are going up for auction or are being brokered at this point instead of actual voters being counted. Super Delegates are a bunch of bunk and so is the democratic party......................John McCain is almost starting to look apealing at this point!

Mary Davenport
    Cedar Lake, IN

May 14, 2008 at 7:23 pm |
  15. Brenda

I think Hillary should call it quits now and then run as an independent come the election. She would have more control to run the White House her way. She has such a wide support system and she leads McCain in the polls so it would be a shoe-in for her. Doesn't matter what road you take as long as you get there! Go Hillary!!

May 14, 2008 at 7:20 pm |
  16. Lilibeth

This is an amazing development. Just when I thought this race wouldn't get more interesting, it does. I can't wait to see what happens after this. Thanks for the update.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

May 14, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  17. Marie

Edwards waited to see who was ahead to endorse otherwise he would of come out weeks ago who do these two clowns think they are fooling. Oh, yes a large part of America. I believe he wants the VP and was promised that we shall see shorthly. It is a sad day since this shows how political favors are paid. I may be wrong but really doubt it. I feel the division in the party is real and either I am sitting out or going republican with McCain and that really pains me. I have no faith in Obama. His voting record shows his weaknesses and 20+ years with a church leader that is more than questionable. Only the Democrats can take a political advantage in the 2008 election and basically piss it away to McCain. The timing is more than interesting I do believe a bunch of arms hurt today with all the twisting from the DNC.

May 14, 2008 at 7:04 pm |
  18. Bart from Chicago

Edwards is just looking out for himself, the endorsement means nothing at this point. Obama already has the nomination locked up. Edwards should have just let the election play out.

May 14, 2008 at 7:03 pm |
  19. Christi

This sounds like the unofficial announcement of John Edwards as Vice Presidential running mate.

May 14, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  20. Joey Miller

I am a young 18 year old democrat. I will not be voting for Obama. If I have to I just won't vote our political system won't be better with him it will be worse. John Edwards said all of america was heard well that is wrong. Michigan and Florida were not heard. I will never support Obama. I hope this country actually votes for 4 more years of Bush. Obama says change but doesn't say how he is going to make change. I will leave it at this. "Can we vote for another war with Pakistan." NO WE CAN'T,NO WE CAN'T.

May 14, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  21. Rekha Joy Raman

I endorse Obama faithfully by the light of a billion stars, as a pledge to the Democratic party. Senator Obama is very down-to-earth and despite aberrations like Rev.Wright and other criticisms -which I consider a non-entity, given the larger picture- he has sustained the pattern of his constellation, which I should say is steady, unrelenting and positive. Wav to go Barack Obama!

May 14, 2008 at 6:58 pm |
  22. Sylvia

I am so happy to see that Edwards is finally endorsing Obama. Everytime I hear talk about Clinton being on the ticket with Obama, I cringe. The real dream ticket is Obama/Edwards! –the only two sincere candidates this political season has seen!
    Please start pushing the true "dream ticket"!!!! Obama/Edwards 08!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  23. Cynthia- Florida

John Edwards sucks. He only did it so he can try for VP again. He was not chosen in 04 or now , can he not take a hint? if he is chosen as VP then McCain should start moving in the White House now.

May 14, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  24. Tristan

I think that this is the push that Obama really needed to close this race. Edwards was my first choice for president. This clearly makes my decision for me as to who I am going to vote for. I also want to say that I feel that Edwards should be Obama's vice president, that is a real dream ticket!

May 14, 2008 at 6:52 pm |
  25. Chris - Hemet, Ca.

Another good reason to like John Edwards but I'm not sure if he is interested in the VP slot. Two that haven't been mentioned much are Jim Webb from Va. and Kathleen Sebelius from Ka. I'd also like to see Colin Powell in the mix, I thought he was a great Sec. of State, just for the wrong administration.

May 14, 2008 at 6:45 pm |
  26. Mari, Salt Lake City

Thank you, John Edwards. That's wonderful and I appreciate it. All those people, who say Edwards has been a loser need to stop with the hate-speak, already!

I am a registered Independent supporting Obama, ALL Obama supporters need to extend the hand of friendship to Hillary's people other wise we can prepare for another four years of mounting national debt and more lives lost in a war in Iraq!

PLEASE PEOPLE LET'S COME TOGETHER FOR THE SAKE OF OUR NATION! WE NEED CHANGE!

May 14, 2008 at 6:42 pm |
  27. Harry Chauhan

Great Great News!!

I am so glad John Edwards finally endorsed Barack Obama. They make a great team. I hope Edwards agrees to run as VP...we really need these two guys in the office.

May 14, 2008 at 6:39 pm |
  28. Dominic Haberman Hattiesburg, MS

John Edwards has increasingly become a stronger force in national politics. He has been a strong voice on issues of poverty and middle class issues of health care and education. He was also the only candidate to begin his campaign by drawing attention to the failure of progress in New Orleans and the MS Gulf Coast since Katrina. Edwards is still young, and a rising political star. He would be an outstanding VP candidate. It's sad that Hillary supporters are even worse losers than she is. This is not about the Clintons. Never was. Changing our course in Iraq, providing middle class tax relief, and providing affordable health care are the issues that this country deperately needs to be addressed. That will not happen with John McCain. Obama has run his campaign with dignity and respect over the process. He is well qualified and has earned the right to change the course of this nation.

May 14, 2008 at 6:38 pm |
  29. Anna

Well now I know this I won't be voting for a president this time and I think alot ofother people will do the same thing. Obama does not have the experience needed to be in the White House and it won't help much with a John Edwards endorsment.

May 14, 2008 at 6:36 pm |
  30. sandy

and havent we seen THIS picture before????????? a poorly experienced politician(Bush) gets the backing and assistance from old heads who have no where else to go in their political careers...(Cheney, Rumsfeld, Ashcroft,, Powell , Rice ) just so they can be the puppettmasters of a neophyyte politician........and look what mess THAT arrangement did to America!!!!!!! and now the Democratic old heads (Richards, Edwards, Kerry, Kennedy , Biden ) are doing the same mess.....
    To the Clintons....the old saying goes."watch your enemies close but watch your friends CLOSER"....

Poor Edwards...always the bridesmaid but never the bride... I'm sure he's hoping for a VP nod again....
    This seals it for me...........this democrat is sitting out of the Nov election.......not voting Republican, just not voing Democratic!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 at 6:33 pm |
  31. Lynn

YES!! I have said all along that Edwards as VP would ROCK!! Does this mean that Obama automatically gets Edwards' delegates???

May 14, 2008 at 6:32 pm |
  32. Vince in CA

Lisa – I think when all is said and done Hillary will have the popular vote and Obama will have the superdelegates. Makes me wonder how the DNC is going to figure this one out. Do you go with the majority of the population or with a handful of superdelegates?

May 14, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  33. Ann

I can't wait to see what all these people who claim to be 'close' to the Clintons will do when Hillary is President. Hopefully they will get the same courtesy from her as she did them. I would not vote for Barack Obama if he were the only candidate running. It will also be interesting to see the faces of all those that voted for Obama when everything goes haywire. Let's not forget Wright, his wife's statements, the typical white person, the bitter people, and by the way...didn't I see on CNN where someone claimed that Hamas backs Obama? SCARY...and we just thought Wright was scary! CNN is Obama supporters and take every chance they get to bash Hillary Clinton. But that still doesn't diminish the fact that she's more electable, more intelligent, and has more integrity than Obama. Let's not forget Florida and Michigan. And the fact that he can not win against McCain. She can! And John Edwards...that's as important as McGovern...get on with the REAL news....that Hillary is in the race to win the White House...and will... Besides, by the time all is said and done,. something else will come out about Obama...

May 14, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  34. Vince in CA

What a shame. Edwards accuses Obama of voting "present" instead of "yes" or "no" and then turns around and endorses him. Do any Democrats have integrity? Obama may be a good man. But, as a sitting Senator that chose not to vote on occasion that would be a deal breaker. The "change" that's needed goes much further than just saying it.

May 14, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  35. spencer

Yet another loser has Endorse Obama..A real candidate can win on her on merits without the support of losers......

May 14, 2008 at 6:11 pm |
  36. chet

Edwards had no choice....if Hillary didn't know you can't campaign on federal property who in their right mind would ever support her for President....sending Chelsea to PR with a plan to campaign on federal property is the most stupid thing her campaign could have done at this point...it shows her real lack of judgement and/or experience in basic campaign rules so it boils down to a question as to what blunders would she carryout if she were President.

May 14, 2008 at 6:06 pm |
  37. Trish

It's about time Edwards....Glad you made the right decision. Hop on the band wagon of HOPE and lets CHANGE America!!!!!

Obama 08!!!!!!!

May 14, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  38. Cindy

I figured that he would. He was just waiting until Obama had it sown up. He probably will be his running mate.

May 14, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  39. Jo Ann

What a hypocrite! Didn't Edwards just tell Larry King that he didn't want to "contribute to the divide" and that he was going to "let the voters make the decision?" Edwards is just trying to make everyone forget his big loss. Now he can add liar to his resume.

I guess we shouldn’t be surprised to see that he is making this endorsement in Michigan, one of the states where the Obama campaign worked so hard to disenfranchise the voters.

@Larry: He waited so long because he wanted to pick a time when he could make the biggest splash. Like all the rest of the "late comers" he is just looking for attention.

Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

May 14, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  40. kevin jones

well bout time mr. john edwards, i find it kind of cowardly to endorse obama at this point in time because everyone in the world knows the race was over in n.c.

May 14, 2008 at 5:40 pm |
  41. Tammy, Berwick, LA

And this is supposed to impress me because? John Edwards has been a loser every time he's tried to run for president. So Obama can attract a political nobody who was probably forced by the DNC to push for Obama (since they're hell bent on committing suicide in November by putting him on their ticket). Nice to see politics as usual in play. Good thing Obama doesn't believe in the same old, same old poltical games.

May 14, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  42. Jane, Detroit, MI

I think you're looking at the future Vice President of the dynamic duo in the whitehouse. Great day for Obama supporters. Hillary had her 15 minutes of fame last night with her token victory in West Virginia. Obama is going after the big prize, and now we have Edwards!

May 14, 2008 at 5:37 pm |
  43. Fay, CA

Obama and Edwards would make a great team–it will be interesting to see what is in the works between the two of them.

May 14, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  44. Tita

YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let's all move on and focus on November now!
    Kind Regards,
    Tita

May 14, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  45. JC- Los Angeles

It finally looks like Michelle Obama has decided that her husband will have Edwards as his VP.

May 14, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  46. CA for Obama

It's about time. Now that he knows who the nominee is going to be, he will endorse that person. He says he would not be a VP if asked – but we all know politicians don't always say what they mean. That would deffinitely be a great ticket.

I'm just looking forward to this primary to come to an end...too much already. I bet some of the media must be tired or reporting on this too. It will be a great day when Hilary finally admits her campaign is over. I just hope Obama's campaign doesn't end up paying her debt or us taxpayers. Curious to see how she will handle it since she continues to increase her debt...

May 14, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  47. Larry

Dunno why he waited so long.

May 14, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  48. Jacqueline, NY

I am so happily stunned and filled with glee. I am not sure why, because I had a feeling Edwards might have been leaning toward Obama, but with this campaign, you just don't know. good for him. And good for Barack. I hope this helps him a great deal. YAY! Let's Gobama!

May 14, 2008 at 5:20 pm |
  49. Beverly

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!. Edwards, possible VP . They look great in the picture above.

May 14, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  50. Lisa

So where will this put the delegate count, popular vote, etc.? Didn't Edwards have some delegates when he "suspended" his candidacy?

May 14, 2008 at 5:19 pm |