May 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 5/9/08

Tonight, there are signs that the race for the democratic nomination could be over soon.  The Obama campaign announced new support from seven superdelegates today - including one who had been backing Clinton.  Clinton still has the superdelegate lead but only by a small, and shrinking, margin.

After years of doors slamming in his face, Gary Tuchman is invited inside an FLDS home.  Check out Gary’s blog about this rare look at family values in Warren Jeffs’ polygamous sect.

Erica Hill reports on the growing food crisis here in this country.  Food prices are rising fast and with more and more people in need, food banks just can’t keep up with the demand.   Take a look at Erica’s blog for a sneak peek.

Anderson is off tonight.  Wolf Blitzer is filling in.  Erica will be posting comments throughout the show and be sure to watch her on our live web camera from the 360° studio.  We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting your comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. barbara, illinois

Attendants vs. bridesmaids? Do we know if all the people standing up for her are women? Could possibly be the reason they are being called "attendants"

May 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  2. CaseyJPS - California

I would really prefer to see the Myanmar stories at the top of the broadcast. I see this as the real #1 priority at this moment in time. Great job by Dan Rivers.

May 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

How disgusting that the police in Burma would waste time chasing out a reporter, rather than help their people.

May 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Anthony

The Papa Johns deal was a large 1 topping pizza for $.23, not a slice.

May 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  5. Marilyn

Many times I have to choose between food items and my medicines. I've had to use food pantries too.

May 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Vincent

Burma needs food aid, but AMAZINGLY it seems like the US does too !!
    Time for Bush to divert some of those funds .... perhaps even from some of the pork barrel spending.

May 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar

Cool! Hot Dog Car! I love hot dog!

May 9, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Glad to hear Myanmar is allowing some US aid in but it is not nearly enough

Dan Rivers did amazing work while in Myanmar before he had to leave but I am glad he did not get caught

May 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  9. CaseyJPS - California

Ava>That's a very good analogy. Thank you.

May 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  10. Sabrina.in.LosAngeles

attendants are the people who seat guests before the wedding and assist the wedding party with tasks.

May 9, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Derrick

Until the UN food aid workers in Myanmar/Burma can distribute the food, it should be assumed that all food aid is going to the army. I wouldn't doubt that they are stock piling it for the army's use. Until the UN can ensure that food aid is actually going to the people, all food shipments should stop. By failing to render aid when needed and available to its people, the leadership of Myanmar/Burma should be tried for crimes against humanity.

May 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Ava

Americans need to wake up!!! There is much more to life then fancy cars, plasmas and ipods.

May 9, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Michelle in CA

Carmen, I agree. The way I deal with our current economic woes is to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

May 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Ava

Casey, it's all about keeping up appearances? When you're hungry and need food...that all goes out the window. Why would you care what other people think at a check out line in a market? That's like not parking your car in a Sak's parking lot because you don't drive a bmw!

May 9, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  15. Karin

The basic right for all people is shelter and food... unless we can meet this criteria, we cannot call ourselves a great country.

May 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

14 attendants......dang that's alot

May 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Vincent

wow ... i didnt realize so many people were in such desperate situations :S

May 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Carla Ontario Canada

With are the problems around the Globe, we need someone who is stronger in domestic and foreign affairs, and who has character, values and will fight for the people. In my opinion that person is Hillary and she would do a fantastic job.

May 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar

I think Bushs will be private for their daughter Jenna's wedding tomorrow.

May 9, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  20. CaseyJPS - California

Jo Ann and Mike>I have a hard time telling the difference between any religion and any cult. At some point in their rhetoric, they all preach some form of absolution. That is, they are the ONLY religion.

May 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Khalilah,NJ

She's lucky she only has 1 more day with that last name. Just think were not related but we have to keep that name until NOV.

May 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Carmen, Marina, CA

Scary, scary times many are in these days...more hunger issues than ever in America. What is wrong with this picture? I fear we will get so far into national debt (can it really get any worse?), fewer jobs, less and less available for the marginally employed, more hunger and homelessness. My usual optimism in the face of adversity is waning...fast.

May 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Mike from Syracuse NY

It's possible to hold on to religious beliefs and live with the outside would. The Amish do it, and no one considers them a cult. The FLDS is so secretive only because they want to continue practices that are illegal.

May 9, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  24. CaseyJPS - California

I know people who easily qualify for food stamps or could participate in food banks and they wouldn't think of showing their face at a food bank nor show food stamps at the poiint of check-out. I think I would have to be extremely desperate to take either of these routes.

May 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Jana, Indiana

Erica, yes Gary’s story was so interesting. It was nice to see he was able to sit down with the family and not have the door slammed in his face like he has had so many times in the past.

May 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  26. Bonnie

Hard to believe that this is happening in the USA–

May 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Steve Boyd

Biggest problem is all of the children that grow up thinking that wooden toys, bed sheet clothing and 90 brothers and sisters, is normal. Generationally, eventually it has to come to a head and the kid will be exposed to the real world. I really wouldn't care what adults did if there weren't kids involved, no brainwashing and nobody got hurt. The kids are being taught a life absent of any judgement.

May 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

The cost of living is jumping faster than we can catch our breath. No one in our country should ever go hungry. Perhaps ethanol is not worth shorting our food supply for.

May 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Fay, CA

It's good to see Erica on this story–it's becoming increasingly difficult to make ends meet, prices are sky high and it's a constant struggle to keep a roof over your head and bills paid.

May 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Khalilah,NJ

On a more serious note. This is not a religion. This is pedophiles @ a buffet. I only want to know when are the rest of these dirt bags going to prison??????

May 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, Ohio

Mike from Syracuse NY: That is what they are afraid of. How do you think they hang on to their church members? I have said it before, but I will say it again, if you have to isolate your members from the outside world it is no longer a religion, it is a cult.

Gary has done an excellent job reporting about the FLDS all of these years! That footnote sounded a little 1984ish to me! Spooky!

May 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Carmen, Marina, CA

Great job, Gary! A coup for you to actually get inside an FLDS home. A different perspective, to some degree, than we have been able to see thus far due to their reluctance to speak to the media.

May 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  33. CaseyJPS - California

Is it just me or does anyone else feel kinda strange seeing stories about how minimally FLDS people live and people struggling to feed themselves here (let alone people struggling to stay alive in Myanmar), and then watching Jaguar and BMW ads?

May 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar

and Military government policy really strict, no one let foreign in Burma to help people.......

May 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  35. Marilyn

Excellent story Gary!

May 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  36. ricke

You know if it was the opposite and Hillary was ahead of Obama the same amount, the DNC and the media would be crying for him to stay until convention. They would never tell him to drop out. In fact they would tell him to fight to the end.

Again a double standard.

May 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  37. Michelle in CA

People who live in isolated communities lose perspective. By trying to preserve their freedom they lose it.

May 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  38. ericacnn

It was fascinating to watch Gary's story...

May 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  39. Paolo

Good story Gary! I don't think everything about FLDS is as evil as others want us to think. I see the family there is a wholesome one, I wish most families are as wholesome as theirs.

May 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  40. CaseyJPS - California

WOW Gary! I'm truly impressed. Congratulations on the story.

May 9, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  41. Bonnie

Wow they are living on the edge–shoes untied!!

May 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Mike from Syracuse NY

Jo Ann, that's why the kids need to be exposed to the outside world, so they know what they are getting into if they stay.

May 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  43. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Gary is a rebel with a cause. Roll up those sleeves

May 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Cindy

How can they say that they are not polygamists when they live in their community, practice their religion and say they are open to more wives? What are they then?

May 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, Ohio

The wife sounded a little hesitant to me when Gary asked her about welcoming another wife into her family.

May 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  46. Jen in Mex.

How many families in the world do have 2, 3, wives? Call them "mixed" families. They don't live under the same roof but famlies that live with devorce and remarriage are traumatic too!! Are they morally any better? (Yes, I'm ticked about the whole thing!!)

May 9, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

My hats off to Gary Tuchman. He has been on the FLDS story for a long time. Good work Gary. It's about time the doors stopped slamming in your face and we get to see a glimpse of FLDS.

May 9, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Mike from Syracuse NY: The only problem is that those people think that is the "normal world!" I don't think choice is a part of their religion.

May 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  49. Carmen, Marina, CA

The FLDS and other religious groups of its kind boggle my mind. I can't grasp the servitude mentality that seemingly annihilates the human spirit. God help those kids from the Texas ranch.

May 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  50. CaseyJPS - California

My God, do these people ever sleep? How many kids can one person crank out? I mean, seriously, I'd really like to understand some of the fundamentals of this religion much better, 'cause I just don;t get it. I truly wonder about the quality of life although it must be wonderful to not be encumbered by modern day conveniences that just add more and more responsibilities.

May 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm |