May 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 5/9/08

Tonight, there are signs that the race for the democratic nomination could be over soon.  The Obama campaign announced new support from seven superdelegates today - including one who had been backing Clinton.  Clinton still has the superdelegate lead but only by a small, and shrinking, margin.

After years of doors slamming in his face, Gary Tuchman is invited inside an FLDS home.  Check out Gary’s blog about this rare look at family values in Warren Jeffs’ polygamous sect.

Erica Hill reports on the growing food crisis here in this country.  Food prices are rising fast and with more and more people in need, food banks just can’t keep up with the demand.   Take a look at Erica’s blog for a sneak peek.

Anderson is off tonight.  Wolf Blitzer is filling in.  Erica will be posting comments throughout the show and be sure to watch her on our live web camera from the 360° studio.  We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting your comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Megan Dresslar

I heard that Mayanmar won't let us or Anderson in Burma....... to help there.......

May 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Bonnie

How come he only has one wife?

May 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Jason-Riverview, FL

Jo Ann, U re Right, How Soon have we forgot the Floydian Slip from SEN Obama, ..."Typical White People..." No one wants to talk about that....I really feel this Election has being driven for the Most part by the media and THEIR LOVE and Fawning for SEN Obama and dislike for SEN Clinton... She has an Impressive and longer resume...compared to his in the "DEMOCRATIC Primary"

May 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Cindy

Finally someone from the FLDS is nice and let's Gary into their house!

May 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Mike from Syracuse NY

I hope all those kids get deprogrammed so they can chose between their cult and the normal world.

May 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  6. suhaas

Hillary worked hard for the African Americans over the years. There is no way she is a racist. I would blame the Democratic party leaders and the media including this one, for driving her into desperation to make such statements. Never has there been such a tight primary race, with so little difference between two candidates. In the past, when the party has tried to get a candidate to step down, there has been a very clear difference between the candidates. So what is driving Hillary is not racism, but the sexist attitudes of the media and her own party, who are trying hard to get her out.That is why Hillary supporters are so distanced, that they will not vote for Obama, if he becomes the nomminee

May 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Kelly Santa Barbara, CA

Megan, sure was. I would like to see a camera picked up by a tornado like a cell phone camera to look at it from the inside.

May 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Penny - Sebastian Florida

I hold Barack Obama personally responsible for refusing to re-vote in Florida. I am a liberal Democrate but if Hillary Clinton is not on the ticket this November my vote will stay home. I cannot in good conscience vote for John McCain but I will not vote for Obama. This primary has been such a disappointment that if my vote didn't count in January it will not be given in November. If your guest thinks that us Dems will come together....she is sadly mistaken

May 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, Ohio

Megan O: That is the only thing that I envy about their lifestyle!

May 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

wow the video from the tornado is rather scary. Very intense

May 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  11. tamara

The way Hillary has been treated by the Obama campaign, the DNC and media has made me decide to Registar as an Independant in November. I think all these pundits saying the Party will come together are wrong.

Obama need to tell his campaign to stop using the race card and spinning any comments by the Clintons as racist. Run on Policy.

I am proud to have supported Clinton from the beginning even though the rest of my community deserted her. Are the 98% of black voters racist for voting for Obama?

I hope Hillary will decide to run as an independant in the fall, Lieberman did it an won.

May 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar

Hello Erica,
    I am back tonight! I am glad see Wolf Blizter tonight!

May 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Carmen, Marina, CA

While I get angry and frustrated with the media at times, especially regarding its treatment of Hillary...I am so glad and privileged to be able to turn on CNN...uncensored...thank God for America and freedom of the press...and my individual right to speak out when I don't like something.

May 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Tom

I agree with you Erica, I watch him everyday & look forward to getting the news on his program

May 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Billi: That is exactly right! No one has mentioned race as much as those covering the election. Don't be fooled the news channels are getting a lot of mileage out of it.

Clinton was only describing a demographic group while Obama's "typical white person" comment denigrated an entire race. There is obviously a double standard here.

May 9, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  16. Ava

Wolf I hope you blog, I always watch all 3 hours of the situtation room!
    It's cool to see you on here. Do you ever get a vacation? Wolfie is everywhere!
    =0)
    Erica where are you? Why is no one on the web cam? Friday early out? what's going on?

May 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  17. Michelle in CA

Ava, I agree with you...the "black" and "white" commentary is getting old.

May 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  18. Sara.Ro

Happy Mother's Day for Erica ,CNN and Blogger Mothers!

How helpful for US or global world would be if Anderson is reporting from Burma??

May 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Marjorie

The CNN energizer bunny-WOLF!

May 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  20. CaseyJPS - California

Megan Dresslar>Please don;t take this the wrong way but how do you know he is not going to Myanmar yet (I'm just curious. I must of missed something somewhere.)

May 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  21. ericacnn

Happy Friday, everyone!

Wolf truly is the hardest work man in TV...I dont know how he does it, though we're all lucky he never seems to run out of steam

May 9, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  22. Jason-Riverview, FL

CaseyJPS and Megan that is true, You have SEN Kennedy blasting her saying she is not a real viable candidate for Obama....How Dare him, a BIG Obama supporter...I do not see ANYONE coming out against him for DISSING her supporters along with her as a "PROMINATE CANDIDATE"... Typically Double Standards as well as SEXISM...and for the record I am an African American who supports Hillary Clinton Whole heartedly...blacks are NOT monlithic as MANY in the media are portraying in these POLLS...

May 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  23. Terri

Bev, lol, that was funny

May 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  24. Jen in Mex.

How nice to live in a filtered world (FDLS). I would like to live in a world where i don' know about Brittany or Hannah Montana., too. Or Burma either. But I do. We all do. Thes people should get real.

May 9, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  25. Paolo

Hi Wolf! It is nice to see you on 360 for once.

While Sen. Clinton is expected to do well in West Virginia and Kentucky, I don't expect this to change any of the dynamics. It will however be a reminder to Sen. Obama that if he wants to win against John McCain, he has his work cut out for him especially with blue collar older voters.

May 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  26. Ava

Geez!! Hillary is not a racist, Obama is not a racist! Enough! I'm so sick of hearing about black and white votes!!!! We all bleed the color red, and hopefully as humans we vote for the policies and on the issues, because ultimately thats what matters!

May 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar

Guys, Look up there I said........ Anderson is not going to Mayanmar yet.

May 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  28. Carmen, Marina, CA

I am so sick and tired of the media analysts and pundits hounding Hillary for staying in the race until the end. For goodness sakes, let her leave after a few wins and with dignity...which she is due. So, back off media and let the process play out. Stop using her as the story of the day and the easy punching bag...not fair and there are far more interesting things to focus on in the three weeks remaining in the primary. To use a word Clyburn from SC seems to like to use..."Chill"!

May 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  29. Cindy

Hey Wolf...glad you are subbing tonight. Man you work WAY too much! I hope CNN appreciates that!

May 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Bev

Wow, that FLDS woman is really lucky. She's never heard of Brittany Spears. lol

May 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  31. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Looks like Gary found the one place in the world that does not know who Britney Spears or Hannah Montana are

May 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  32. Billi

The negative campaigning you keep attributing to Senator Clinton is actually the media's negative campaigning. The media shaped the primary votes as white/black in every primary. She restated what the media has said and now the media says she is being negative. Come on, Wolf, you know this is exactly what goes on.

May 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  33. CaseyJPS - California

Carmern>So, the "media" is instigating the conflict once again?!

May 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar

that right, guys....
    I hope that Hillary will stay in race until she nominee.

May 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  35. CaseyJPS - California

Jason & Carla>There seems to definitely be a double standard on referring to race in any format thus far.

May 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, Ohio

I know that it is dangerous in Burma right now, but it would be exciting to see Anderson report from there! I know that he would do a wonderful job.

May 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  37. Tom

Wolf, why is everyone in this country against Hillary Clinton finishing her campaign, I am a 52 year old white male & I have been a voter since I've been 18 & I don't understand why all the pressure to get out.

May 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  38. Ava

Ya, where is everyone? How come no one is on the cam?

May 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  39. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I agree Lorie Ann. After June 3rd Hillary should really think long and hard about what will be best for the party. I am an Obama supporter but I say let her keep going for 3 weeks. Just try hard to not be negative. It does not help anyone

May 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  40. Carmen, Marina, CA

Hillary was merely commenting on an AP story and parroting the words used in the story....the full interview Q and A has not been playing in the media. If heard in its context, it would be better understood and the whole race issue would be far less volatile.

May 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  41. Carla Ontario Canada

Hillary's comments were not racist....can you say typical white person

Is there a double standard here...

May 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  42. CaseyJPS - California

The cam hasn't moved an inch since the show started...

May 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Jason-Riverview, FL

Wolf...Please tell me why are the media and all these pundants calling the CAMPAIGN already? He is NOT the winner..

Also, when SEN James Clyborn from SC used racebaiting saying the Clintons need to watch it and "chill" because African-Americans is not voting for the SEN Clinton, NO ONE said that he is using the RACE CARD!... Roland Martin also said that she has to win the "...black votes..." No one said Nothing; why is the RACE CARD being played against SEN Clinton? Now they are Pushing her out...

May 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  44. Fay, CA

Woah Wolf on 360, this must be a first. Did Anderson get his visa and is on his way to Burma?

May 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hillary has the right to end her campaign, all by herself. When and if she ends it, should be on her own terms.

May 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar

No Casey,
    Anderson is not going to Myanmar yet.

May 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  47. Lee

Why did the morning buzz say Anderson was trying to go to Burma when it seems he is on vacation?

May 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar

Hello Wolf, Erica. and Bloggers!!!
    Happy Friday!
    Congrats for Jenna and Henry!

May 9, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. CaseyJPS - California

Greetings from America's Desert Playground! Erica, any chance Anderson is on his way to Myanmar?

May 9, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Good evening Wolf, Erica and bloggees.

Hope everyone had a great Friday.

Wolf, this is hour #5 for you today. I hope you sleep in tomorrow.

Erica before I forget......Happy Mother's Day! Hope you have a great day with your little guy 🙂

May 9, 2008 at 10:00 pm |