May 7th, 2008

What's it's like to be on Oprah

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/07/art.mattinglyoprah.jpg
caption=" CNN's David Mattingly appears on Oprah to discuss the ongoing FLDS custody battle"]

David Mattingly, 360 Correspondent

I've been on television more than half my life.  I spent a decade anchoring and reporting in local television before working the last 16 years at CNN.  But I have to say that at no time have my wife and mom been more impressed with me than today when I appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show.

I was invited to speak about the Texas polygamy case, a story I've covered closely for AC360.  It was on AC360 that I became the first correspondent to report live from inside the FLDS sect's compound.

But somehow that big moment paled next to talking about it with Oprah.

Don't get me wrong, my wife is a huge Anderson fan.  But there's just something about Oprah. (Obama got a big bounce from her attention...does that mean I will too?  Hmmmmm).

In all honesty, it was a great thrill to get the call...thank you very much Oprah!

Filed under: David Mattingly • Oprah Winfrey • Polygamy
  1. Judy

David,
    If you were selling a book, you'd get the Oprah bump. Since you're really "selling yourself," sorry, not so much. But congratulations anyway.

May 8, 2008 at 1:07 am |
  2. Nana

I agree with Christine about the 'fakeness' of Oprah. I too have had it with her. One minute having financial planners on & telling all of us peons to save & the next showing extravagance with her star buddies & her homes. She would say, "Oh this is the best... you have to have one of those! $120 for a pair of shoes wow what a bargain!" What about all the margarita & alcohol drinking she does on air. Give me a break!
    David, stick with real substantive news programs, you were doing great without Oprah & you will continue to do well!

May 8, 2008 at 12:54 am |
  3. Lilibeth

Hey David, I just saw your interview with Oprah. Very nice! Good job! You're such a polished speaker. Keep up the good work!

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

May 8, 2008 at 12:39 am |
  4. tammi vancouver bc canada

Hey David
    Congrats on the Oprah show , you are

by far one of the best reporters who wouldnt
    want you on there show.

May 7, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  5. Lilibeth

Hi David, you always do a great job no matter what assignment CNN gives you. The reports you did regarding the FLDS were compelling, eye-opening, and compassionate. You always do a great job, whether you're covering polygamy sects, simulated car bombs, or giant flying carp (which is my all-time favorite CNN segment, by the way). Congrats on being on Oprah and getting the recognition you deserve!

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

May 7, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  6. Kent, Illinois

Oprah has an incredibly positive influence on everyone. She has only begun to do great things. Anyone watch her video series with Eckart Tolle? Truly life changing.

May 7, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Kathy, Chicago

Wow, I havn't watched Oprah since Anderson was on. I'll have to watch for you!

May 7, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Annie Kate

David

I guess congrats on being on Oprah – sorry I missed it. Tell me – did you jump on the couch??

All kidding aside – your reporting on the FLDS was great. Too bad they have retreated back behind their fence again.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

May 7, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  9. Christine

Your reporting on the FLDS is very good, but I can not be the only person who can not stand Oprah. She is so fake. Makes me want to pull out my hair.

May 7, 2008 at 9:58 pm |
  10. Jolene

David:
    Bummer, I missed you on Oprah! Congrats. You hit the big time now!

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

May 7, 2008 at 9:53 pm |
  11. ArIzOnA pRiDe

Good Job.. Heck, who doesnt wanna be on Oprah?

May 7, 2008 at 9:41 pm |
  12. Renee

Congratulations, David for being on Oprah! I guess you can put that on your resume and your bio. She has great taste and hey, I guess you wife does too!

Please stay on these folks in TX for the sons and daughters and future of these children.

May 7, 2008 at 9:36 pm |
  13. Marion

Surely, you can't call this news. Opah is yesterday's coffee and tea.

May 7, 2008 at 9:13 pm |
  14. E.Bolton

Hey David
    Congrats on the Oprah show i have been a fan of Oprah from day one,i wish i could just be in the audience.

May 7, 2008 at 9:11 pm |
  15. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

No one can deny that Oprah is a star. She does an awful lot of good for people each and every day. As far as a big bounce from your appearance? Let's just say, it's a show that gets the eyeballs, and has a message..big bounce? Probably. At the very least, more people will get the story on the FLDS. Good job.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

May 7, 2008 at 8:55 pm |
  16. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Oh man.... I watched parts of Oprah today but I missed you David. Oh man I wish I saw you. I am sure you did great.

May 7, 2008 at 8:51 pm |
  17. EJ

When were you on Oprah? Did it air yet? If not, when is it going to air? Give us a heads up.

May 7, 2008 at 8:49 pm |
  18. Jan - OH

You've done a wonderful job on the FLDS case, David! Very sorry that I missed you on Oprah today, though :(; was too deep in the blogs on "the Situation Room" at that time!

Any way, David, good job and Congrats on "steppin' up" in the world!!!

Obama – 08/12