May 7th, 2008

Erica’s News Note: Back in action

Erica Hill
360° Correspondent

Happy Wednesday, my friends! Wow, talk about a weird night…it seemed every time I left the room and came back, something had changed in Indiana. My in-laws have said how exciting it’s been the past few weeks to really matter this time around – something they haven’t felt in decades. Confirmation last night that Hoosier votes DO matter in this primary. What a ride…
_________

I can’t stop reading about the creepy man in Austria who confessed to holding his daughter captive as his sex slave for nearly a quarter century. The latest? Josef Frtizl doesn’t like the way he feels he’s being portrayed in the media. He says he’s not a monster, and that the coverage was “unfair”, noting he didn’t kill anyone while he held them prisoner and that, in fact, if it weren’t’ for him, his 19 year old daughter/granddaughter may have died. Riiiight, so now he’s a thoughtful humanitarian? These delusional comments make me even more upset.
_________

Toddlers smoking pot? And cigarettes?
Kids don’t just find a joint and decide to fire it up – someone has to teach them how, especially a 2 year old. Whoever did (allegedly) teach these kids to smoke deserves every available punishment and then some. There is NO excuse for harming a child like this.

Sadly, it’s not the first time this has happened...
Last month, there was a similar story about two teens allegedly trying to force an 18 month old to smoke marijuana. Last year, a Wisconsin toddler was shown smoking pot with his mother in the room – the images captured on one of the mother’s friend’s cell phone. And this is just the beginning. If only I could answer the question “What is wrong with people?!”, maybe we could spare some of these children.
_________

I can’t leave you without mentioning Burma/Myanmar and the rapidly rising death toll there. I know several CNN bloggers are talking about the aftermath of Cyclone Nargis, and I encourage checking out their posts, too. David Reisner, one of the 360 producers, really puts the numbers in perspective. Dan Rivers – our correspondent on the ground – has some important and rare insight into the real aftermath and the reasons why it may last much longer than it should.

The tragedy is almost incomprehensible, the damage is unbelievable and the toll on the people of Yangon is one that will be felt for years – and perhaps generations - to come. It is a story we need to keep alive.

Filed under: Erica Hill
  1. Christopher

Hello Erica,
    I don't think that 90% black people think Sen. Barrack Obama is better than Sen. Hillary Clinton. Here is the question, why 90% black people vote for Sen. Barrack Obama? The answer is he is black. If white people are voting that way, then Sen. Hillary Clinton already became the Dems nominee. Is that racism? I don't know, you tell me.
    Christopher

Do you know if I need to change from Dems to Rep. to vote for Sen. McCain in November?

May 8, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  2. kevin lynch

Wake up Dems all the negatives came from the republicans!!! Count Florida, Count Michigan Now or lose in the general!!!

May 7, 2008 at 9:27 pm |
  3. pamela kenney

Jack Cafferty nailed it last night when he read between the lines in regard to Hillary's late night speech in Ind.

That was Hillary's concession speech. She will be looking for a graceful out.

May 7, 2008 at 9:26 pm |
  4. kevin lynch

wE WILL COME IN DROVES LIKE YOU NEVER SEEN BEFORE!!
    We dems will vote against Barrack Hussein Obama!!!!! He is a total fraud!
    I will debate this half whit!! He is a separatist!! He likes to smirk when he thinks he is getting over on us!!! Pensylvania told you 38% of Hillary voters in Pensylvania will vote against Barrack stepping in our white house!! We are ready for the civil war!!!!

May 7, 2008 at 9:23 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar

Hello Erica!!!!!!
    Welcome back!!!! I am glad see you tonight! Miss you last week!!! I betyou had fun with your in-law. I did wrote to Anderson 2 days ago talking about Burma, my hearts go to Burma people there, their homes, business, food, and death...... I asked him, that he will have plan to fly to Burma. I am praying for him and Burma people.
    I hope see you there tonight! 🙂 See you tonight!!!
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

May 7, 2008 at 9:21 pm |
  6. kevin lynch

McGoven,Kennedy,kerry, Richardson don't matter. They matter allot less now!!! After this prascticing separatist stood their and insulted our intelligence with his smirky lies! Then these people endorse him???
    They collectively are insulting our inteligence and it is due time they all get the hell out!!
    Pelosi has FAILED, they all failed!!! Hillary is a fighter and people need to see it!! The major networks have been against her everyday this campaign!!!
    All these so called big dems can all go to the loosing party when Barrack "The Fraud" Obama looses as WE DEMS WILL CAMPAIGN HARD AGAINSDT HIM. wATCH mASSACHUSETTS AS WE WILL SET BTHE EXAMPLE!!!!

May 7, 2008 at 9:19 pm |
  7. Annie Kate

Welcome back Erica!! We missed you.

I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to teach their toddler to smoke pot and then even more stupid to take pictures of it. Geez, what were they thinking??

The cyclone victims and the destruction are so sad; and its so frustrating to know that aid waits for these people but the government that is suppose to look out for their safety won't let it in.
    Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

May 7, 2008 at 9:12 pm |
  8. Gary

Yes, Indiana and NC were fun to watch. Look out for the 'nuclear option' out of the Clinton camp–Hillary as an Independent candidate! Think about it. Almost all of the Clinton political capital has jumped ship and gone over to the other side, the party refuses to do anything about Michigan and Florida, and the country seems to be about evenly split among the three candidates. So why not? It seems she has enough excuses to push the button on this option!

May 7, 2008 at 8:45 pm |
  9. Connie

Glad you are back. You and Anderson have great chemistry. That being said I got so excited by CNN's incredible coverage of my home state, Indiana. I loved they way the whole staff called the mayor of Gary to task and can't help believe we might not have gotten the same results had it not been for CNN. I know nothing about Lake County politics but it is well known that Lake County is not accountable to the rest of the state.

May 7, 2008 at 8:43 pm |
  10. Jan - OH

Oooops; my bad...

I meant INDIANA!!! (She squeaked that "win" past him, happy that he crunched her in NC!!!)

IN & NC voters ROCK, by the way!!! 🙂

Happy night!!!

May 7, 2008 at 8:08 pm |
  11. Jan - OH

Welcome back Erica!!!

The set isn't the same without you – and Anderson seems a bit out of sync too!

I must admit, I was really shocked that Hillary Republican Clinton didn't pummel Obama in NC last night! It is only going to make her arguments of "electability", Clinton "math", "for" American People! Too bad, so sad 🙁

I can't even comment on the Austian wack-job! Disgusting!!!

Our thoughts & prayers are with the victims of the cyclone in Myanmar.

Have a fun & great night!!!

Obama – 08/12

May 7, 2008 at 8:05 pm |
  12. Jolene

Hi Erica, glad you are back! I stayed up late watching the primary coverage yesterday. It was exciting to say the least. Gotta love politics. It's always interesting to hear what everyone has to say the day after too.

I'm intriqued with the Fritzl case. It does make you wonder why people do the things they do. I was just waiting for his side of the story to come out. He's not a monster, yet he's going to plead insanity but had enough smarts to create that dungeon and hide his daughter. Hmmm. I suspect more will come out as this case develops and yes, I'll be following it.

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

May 7, 2008 at 6:39 pm |
  13. Jan Wyllie

I am a 65 year old single parent that raised 3 children and have 5 grand children. I worked all my life and retired 1 1/2 years ago. It is a struggle to make ends meet and am still assisting grand children in their effort to get higher education through college. I DO NOT SUPPORT Senator Clinton. I support Obama. He is a vision of change and I can tell you that working the past 8 years has almost devatated me and WE NEED CHANGE. I think Clinton has a personal agenda to be the first woman President. I lost all respect for her when she did nothing when her husband CHEATED ON HER SO PUBLICY....because she needed him for her personal agenda. As far as I am concern she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth. She NEVER experienced hunger, the thought of no roof over her head and how to pay the next electric, heat or food bill, not to mention medical expenses. Obama does....he lived it, just as I lived it. She will not make a good President in my opinion. I really am disgusted with the dirt she puts in her ads on television to the point I change channels when her ads are shown. McCain will not make a good President either. I can not believe that there is anyone in their right mind that would vote for him, even a Republican . He is so unaware of the situation in the U.S and feelings of people that it is unbelieveable. I was raised in a Republican household and was very active in the young Republicans. Through the years I have voted Democrat on many ocassions and of late, I seen to vote almost 100% Democratic, although I really consider myself an independent. In local elections I often forget the party and vote for the person whether they are a Republican or Democrat. Obama gets my vote! By the way, I'm from Michigan and I don't want Hillary to have my vote!!!!

May 7, 2008 at 6:34 pm |
  14. Lilibeth

Hi Erica, glad to see you’re back. We missed you!

The results from yesterday’s primaries...I thought Hillary would win big in Indiana, but she just squeaked by! I was surprised by the result. I think the longer this goes on, the worse it will be for the party. My opinion only...at some point, the party has to focus on becoming unified soon.

The creepy Austrian man says he’s not a monster??? Geez...if he can only hear the choice words I have for him! I can guarantee you they are not printable here...

The aftermath of the cyclone in Burma leaves me sad and wondering what other natural disasters we will see. We keep hearing about extreme weather in different parts of the world more often these days...proof that global warming and its consequences are real. I pray and hope that the people in Burma will eventually get all of the aid the world is trying to give them.

See you tonight, Erica.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

May 7, 2008 at 5:45 pm |
  15. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Welcome back Erica.....missed you while you were gone. You should have done a piece about voting in Indiana and used your in-laws.

The man in Austria is just so disturb and trying to play off the fact that he took his daughter/granddaughter (weird to even write that) to the hospital is just pathetic.

The tragedy in Burma is so sad. My thoughts and prayers are with the entire nation.

May 7, 2008 at 5:34 pm |