May 6th, 2008

Things You Will Hear Most Often on Cable TV Through Wednesday (Depending on What Happens…)

Courtesy Time.com/istock photo/various networks

Mark Halperin
360 contributor and senior political analyst for TIME magazine

1. “She did what she had to do.”
2. “She didn’t do what she had to do.”
3. “John McCain is the big winner tonight.”
4. “No matter what, Clinton can’t overtake Obama’s lead in elected delegates.”
5. “There is no way the Democratic Party is going to take the nomination away from an African-American who is the winner of the elected delegate race.”
6. “It was the fight over the gas tax that did it.”
7. “This leaves us right where we were.”
8. “Look at how he did with white, working-class voters in the exit poll.”
9. “People are going to start telling her she needs to get out of this race.”
10. “Once again, he missed a chance to put her away.”
11. “Evan Bayh – he really worked it.”
12. “She’s a fighter.”
13. “He looks tired.”
14. “No doubt about it, the Democratic Party is in chaos.”
15. “Could there be a dream ticket?”
16. “This thing goes on and on.”
17. “Unbelievable!”
18. “Reverend Wright really hurt him.”
19. “Reverend Wright really had no effect.”
20. “This is really about 2012.”

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Gary Chandler in Canada

Doesn't CNN have a political science expert to point out the double harm Clinton, and her supporters, cause her campaign when she harps about 'being outspent 4 to 1' by Obama? (Can we make it 5 to 1 please?)
    Sure, in some campaigns, where a populist, grass roots candidate has gone up against an established opponent, funded by lobby groups and special interests, the 'they have more money' line has been effective.
    In this case, where Obaama's funds came from Joe and Josephine America, it 'was' very counter productive for the establishment candidate to give media exposure to this positive aspect of the Obama campaign. It is tantamount to a running advertisement by the opponent, similar to, 'he is ahead in the polls by 4 to 1!' It is free advertising for him.
    The other negative aspect of the spending comments is the disenfranchisement of the grass root supporters who made those populist contributions. Americans, rightly so, love their democracy. Why would an astute politician belittle the voices of political will that were raised with these small contributions?
    Because I believe Obama is the world's best chance in the nearly hopeless situation we are in, I cheered every time I heard 'he is out spending us 4 to 1', knowing the comment was losing her votes.
    (Now that the campaign is over, I don't have a problem pointing out the flawed strategy.)

May 7, 2008 at 12:01 pm |
  2. Claudia

This stupidity about race needs to cease. FYI African Americans are a small population compared to Caucasions. My point being, you do the math that supports Obama's candidacy. Further, as a Democrat I will support Hillary just as I support Obama but we need to stop bashing these two democrat candidates. The big prize is Democrats winning the White House. Enough said.

May 7, 2008 at 11:34 am |
  3. Brian

Lanny Davis is the biggest crock I have ever heard on TV. His arguments are so flawed it is ridiculous. CNN needs to rethink their decision in putting him on air.

May 7, 2008 at 11:24 am |
  4. Chris - Hemet, Ca.

I think I hear the fat lady warming up her voice backstage. Then again it could just be Lanny Davis crying.

May 7, 2008 at 11:23 am |
  5. Curtis

It is statistically impossible for her to catch up. Why is she still running???

May 7, 2008 at 10:57 am |
  6. Michelle

I am curious., How come CNN never does a panel
    with younger journalists take on this year's election ?
    For example, some of the people at Current TV and
    Current TV.com. Bret Erlich does a campaign roundup
    that is way to funny but right on point. Also, there is
    Connor Kinghton with Informania. Behind your politiclal
    and news coverage. Current is my next choice.

May 7, 2008 at 10:34 am |
  7. Sheryl Kemp Bailey

If the Democrats are truly THE party of inclusion, shouldn't those who would refuse to vote for Mr. Obama because of his race, if he gets the nomination , be ashamed?! For all the pundits out there who are looking at black voter turnout, and implying that this is the only way that Mr. Obama is winning primaries, you need to reexamine the numbers. He has pulled together an awesome coalition. He was not my original choice but I have watched his grace under fire, and I think that he can win. Ms. Clinton needs to do what she knows needs to be done for the party, and the nation, and GRACEFULLY bow out. This is not about her personal feeling of entitlement. I personally would respect her once again if she did that. I recall, the excitement of 1968 and Bobby Kennedy. When I remember him and listen to Mr. Obama, I think that the Obama supporters feel to loosely quote: 'some people see things as they are, and ask why? I dream things that never were, and ask why not!' America can support him.

May 7, 2008 at 10:16 am |
  8. Kent, Illinois

As Hillary was clobbered in NC and barely won IN by 2% she says" full speed to the White House". Listen lady. You are barely moving. You are as Paul Simon sings " slip sliding away.......slip sliding away e ay". I just wish you could put aside your ego and actually get off the horse and realize that the battle is over.

Try again in 2012. Get out on a high note and we will support you in the future.

May 7, 2008 at 10:15 am |
  9. suzy

John King forgot to comment that Obama won in Tiippecanoe County, Indiana, home of Purdue U- 60%-40% (huge). He referred to Bloomington, home of I U, and Notre Dame, South Bend, IN, but in the fall, I hope he remembers that Tippecanoe County is also a pocket of white collar democrats.

May 7, 2008 at 9:52 am |
  10. Mohammed A Alansi

Even After Tonight's Speech after the W . I . N for Mr.Obama, issues are still piled up for both candidates.

May 6th 2008 will be only remembered for Barack Obama as the day he started getting back into the shape of his first days, early days of his campaine as He rallyed with people as he said" farms of Ohio, parts of N.C. and the great state of Georgia. Also the way his speech was timedley statactically needed. As we all know
    Mrs. Clinton was still confident with her win, her big support which is abiovislley showing on her speech that puts and she is picking up the slack of Obama's campion winner in N.C. being close to delegates vote.

ThankS AC360

May 7, 2008 at 4:54 am |
  11. JB

The real question at the end of the night is:

What will it take for her to give up? The party division is real and time is needed to bring it back together before November and to give us a chance to run against McCain. I think she's selfish for continuing on! It's been over and no matter how you "tweek" the numbers, she still can't get there. I believe in the Democratic party to heal and come together, but I am just ashamed of her for continuing on when it's clearly not in the best interest of anyone but her.

I am very curious to see when it's over and Barack is the nominee if she really will rally behind him as she stated in her speech. Did it seem to anyone else that she was in succession mode?

May 7, 2008 at 3:58 am |
  12. peter

jt.. senator clinton had a comfortable lead amongst black voters at the begining of the campaign, over 50% to senator obama's 30%.. the same reason why govenor bill richardson, mr riech and others switch their support from senator clinton to senator obama is the same reason why blacks switch their support.. race baiting, coding and kitchen sink tactics is why she lost the support,, blacks are well aware of what senator clinton means when she brings up obama's electibility etc and if senator obama acted in the same manner he too should lose his support.. never take voters for granted , earn their votes instead automatically assuming the votes will be there when u need it

May 7, 2008 at 3:48 am |
  13. Haknil

Michelle Greico, I sincerely believe you are out of touch. If the media treats Hillary as they did to Obama, she will be out of the race by next week. she spent eight years in the white house as a wife and a mom... what an experience!

May 7, 2008 at 3:05 am |
  14. Toni Sirois

Wed, 5/7/8, 1:00 am
    With 99% of Indiana's votes counted, and a minute "win" by Hillary, I go to bed listening to pundits continue to ask "IF!"
    But, "IF" Obama were Hillary, "IT" would be all over! Done! Finished!
    I need to wake up tomorrow to either a Hillary drop out, or a Super Delegate force out of a failed candidate; you can't ask the public to keep allowing Hillary to destroy any chance for a Democratic win in November without being seen as racists.
    The 2012 campaign for Hillary, after Mc Cain's failed one term, will be assured unless the media can come to grips with the Obama Idea of a different democracy.
    I am a 66 year old white female who needs the constitution restored.

May 7, 2008 at 1:21 am |
  15. regan

Shame on Anderson Cooper, Wolf Blitzer and John King for harassing Rudy Clay, the mayor of Gary, IN. It's so obvious they were upset of the numbers comng out of Lake County, IN in favor of Obama.

These so called news commentators obviously crossed the line. Tonight, CNN clearly earned their name of "Clinton News Network." The people has spoken.

May 7, 2008 at 1:07 am |
  16. r shivakumar

If the current nomination contest is a Presidential contest , with michigan and florida not counted, who is the winner- obama or clinton
    would like to hear from AC360

May 7, 2008 at 1:01 am |
  17. Lydia Wright

I pray to God Almighty that they are not thinking of, or actually cheating with the counting of the votes in Lake County Indiana!!!!!!!!! Why on earth is it taking them so long to turn in the total!!!

May 7, 2008 at 12:46 am |
  18. Jill

Anderson, You have to get John King to quit playing with his screen so much. Especially while guests are talking and aren't making any reference whatsoever to the map. My husband and I couldn't even watch CNN tonight because he was so distracting, not to mention annoying. We think you are great because you are fair and make it a point to show both sides of things, but my god man, make him stop!

May 7, 2008 at 12:45 am |
  19. Allyson

The "news" coverage for the Democratic primaries is ridiculous. The news media is making this contest a racial issue. "Barack won is county/district X because there is a high concentration of African Americans in the county/district." Indiana is 88% Caucasian, 8.9% Black. He took (as of 12:19am) 49% of the Democratic votes in the state. Clearly his strong performance in the state is not just because he has the support of African American voters. African Americans make up less than 13% of the US population. Even if every Black person in America voted for Barack, without strong support from White voters he wouldn't be leading in this contest.

The real race story, if there is one, is that a Black man is getting a lot of support from White voters. Period. Gary Indiana being the "most African American city" in a mostly White state and nation is focusing on the wrong data points, John King. The news media should be focusing less on the points that divide and distract the nation (e.g., race, Reverend Wright) and put attention back on the issues (e.g., the economy, energy costs, food costs, health care, national security, foreign policy, etc.,) that really matter to ALL Americans this election season!

May 7, 2008 at 12:37 am |
  20. Maryann Pike

I think Obama would be very wise to offer Senator Clinton
    the Vice Presidency.
    She can help him t navigate inside the beltway which he
    will find a lot more difficult than he believes.
    Hillary Clinto is a smart savvy lady.

May 7, 2008 at 12:31 am |
  21. Bill H

The whole process is a disgrace. 6 hours after the polls close nearly 10 % of the precincts have not reported (Indiana). Seems to be all in Obama counties. Where is the outrage ?? Is the handling of this election designed to turn all of us away from politics and the election process or just this election ????

May 7, 2008 at 12:19 am |
  22. Ann Price

I can't believe Cnn is actually accusing Indiana for voter fraud...without any cause...this is news making news....come on...Hillary will win...let's not add any unnecessary drama to the mix.

May 7, 2008 at 12:07 am |
  23. VoteResponsibly08

The Indiana votes coming in is very strange... I can only imagine
    just like the caucus"
    Fools!

May 7, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  24. JT

How about: What is the meaning of 9 out 10 black voters voted for Obama in North Carolina.

If whites voted like the blacks is that mean that Clinton will be the clear winner.

But white people can not really vote like the blacks because they will be called racist.

Anyway, Hillary still hanging tough. In the end she will win.

May 6, 2008 at 9:40 pm |
  25. Annie Kate

As I write this Obama has won NC and IN is too early to call although right now Clinton is ahead. So #4, 7, 9, 10, 15, and especially 16 look really feasible. This campaign is getting too much like the movie Groundhog's Day – from primary to primary the same thing happens. Its starting to feel like a regular part of life now. I hope the Democrats truly consider the "dream ticket" – I'm afraid if they don't they will see real problems in the fall and the GOP winning.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

May 6, 2008 at 9:32 pm |
  26. Tom Mize

How can Indiana be to close to call at 71% and Obama be claimed the winner of North Carolina with only 43% of the vote in, in fact was declaired the winner with 0% of the vote in. The media needs to let the american people decide the out come of the elections.

May 6, 2008 at 9:28 pm |
  27. Michele Grieco

Since the political elections started the media has slanted the reporting towards Obama. 99% of the comments about Hillary have not been very supportive. I just think that it is very unfair. The media is so powerful it can sway the public towards one more than the other.
    I just wanted to express my opinion because this has really been bothering me. Thank you for your time.
    Sincerely Michele Grieco Niagara Falls NY

May 6, 2008 at 9:27 pm |
  28. Frank Jones Jr.

My greatest fear in these primary elections is; the majority of voters for Senator Clinton will not vote for her in the general election if I'm to believe (The Operation Chaos Radio Talk Show Host). Senator Clinton could win the battle to become The Democratic Canidate for President however, I believe She will Lose the War. My Hope is that Democrats will chose The most reliable Person for the Office of the President of the United States of America.
    Thanks,
    Frank Jones Jr.
    U.S.A.F Retired

May 6, 2008 at 9:24 pm |
  29. Jack

Good Evening!

OBAMA >>>>>> Not qualified to be the " President of the United States!. How can you guys be so BLIND!
    Jack

May 6, 2008 at 9:21 pm |
  30. EJ

I am so excited tonight – I am so happy for Barack! Yeah!!!

May 6, 2008 at 9:18 pm |
  31. Mary Ann

As a life-long Democrat, I'm amazed that we once again seem intent on nominating someone who can't win in November.

I am a well-educated, self-described liberal who just doesn't see the appeal of Obama, especially when one considers his actual experience. More importantly, I don't see his claims of a change agent, "healer", one who can change the dynamics of politics exhibited at all in the campaign. Where are his skills here? Yet, no one seems to comment on his lack of demonstrable skill to reach a broader audience. He hasn't closed the deal with me. In fact, the more his campaign progresses, the less impressive he seems.

Our party may well be pleased to elect Obama as the nominee, but I'll be surprised and hurt once again that we have selected one who speaks to our party but misses the boat when it comes to broader America.

I hope that the DNC is holding some of its moeny for the 2012 election. it certainly will need it when it becomes all the more difficult to unseat another Republican incumbent. I wished that all of our "educated" folks would wise up and actually employ some analysis on how to actually win an election.

May 6, 2008 at 9:16 pm |
  32. EJ

I knew he was going to pull out a win much more than 7% in NC. I knew it!

May 6, 2008 at 9:13 pm |
  33. EJ

21. She got CREAMED in North Carolina

May 6, 2008 at 9:12 pm |
  34. Teresa, Ohio

The funny thing about all those quotes: they will ALL BE TRUE.

My favs are no's. 12 & 13.

May 6, 2008 at 9:06 pm |
  35. John

If 90% of white americans voted for Hillary, whites would be labeled as Racists. Why does no one bring this up about Black Americans Voting for Obama????

May 6, 2008 at 9:04 pm |
  36. Alex

It will be dissapointing to see Hillary Clinton win even if she is down in the numbers. Moreover democrats would be hipocrites if that happens, since they have stood by the argument that Al Gore should have won against President Bush years ago. If numbers dont count then there is no sense in voting at all. Finally the votes of a person in one state should be worth the same as the vote from another person from any other state, whether it is a black, white, hispanic or any other race or gender.

May 6, 2008 at 9:01 pm |
  37. Osu

21. If Obama wins the nominee, McCain will be the next president

May 6, 2008 at 9:00 pm |
  38. STEPHANIE

THE VOTERS SAID "YES WE WILL" GO OBAMA

May 6, 2008 at 8:53 pm |
  39. Zane Thomas

Can someone explain why everyone is so willing to discard the vote of those of us in Florida because some Republican knuckleheads controlling the legislature made a decision and some "democratic" knuckleheads with the national party decided to teach them a lesson? Let's pretend for a second that what really matters is the protection of democracy. Have you ALL lost your minds? I spent 25 years of my life defending our right to vote... sometimes I feel like I returned to a third world country! Where in the hell is Lou????

May 6, 2008 at 8:50 pm |
  40. G from Canada

Donna , good for you,!

The most sensible words I have heard all night. or maybe even the wholle cycle.

May 6, 2008 at 8:49 pm |
  41. G from Canada

I guess I don't get it. Barack Obama has been beat up for 7 or 8 weeks. running against the most famous politician in the US and not only is he just standing , he is winning.
    Shouldn't the story be why can't Hillary close the deal?

You have all been duped by the Clinton goons who keep changing the goalposts.

Also, there is so much more baggage about Hillary that Obama hasn't brought out that the Republicans will ,

And all these Democrats know Hillary , and it seems a lot of people who know her well such as Reich, Richardson , Andrews, etc. etc. who are supporting Obama

What am I missing?

May 6, 2008 at 8:42 pm |
  42. Jimmy Lopez

Another thing you will hear tonight.....The loser needs to bring the party together......

May 6, 2008 at 8:37 pm |
  43. Fay, CA

What about "game changer"?

We've pretty much heard all the spin, repeatedly. The only thing I want to hear now is who the actual Democratic nominee will be, but it looks like "this thing is going to go on and on!".

May 6, 2008 at 8:30 pm |
  44. Jane, Detroit, MI

Congratulations to Obama for the HUGE win in North Carolina! Guess what Hillary, N.C. is a BIG STATE! Yes we can, yes we did!

May 6, 2008 at 8:28 pm |
  45. Yves

The race should be over, obama took nc even if she wins this on wednesday im pretty sure you will hear "she did what she had to do but...over!! let say bye bye to Clinton!!

May 6, 2008 at 8:26 pm |
  46. Cindy

So true!! We will hear all of this rhetoric and more unfortunately over and over and over. God...please help us! LOL

Hey you left one out...He's only winning in the "red" states he'll never beat McCain doing that.

May 6, 2008 at 8:24 pm |
  47. wayne C

could hillery even pull ahead if they did count florida and michigan 45% Obama to 55% hillery?????. Or is she just dreaming now?????????

May 6, 2008 at 8:20 pm |