May 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 5/5/08

It’s the countdown to the primaries in Indiana and North Carolina.  Tomorrow is what Sen. Hillary has called a “game changer” and with 187 delegates at stake it could shake up the race.   We’ll have the latest from the campaign trail and analysis of campaign strategy from the best political team on television.

We want to know what you think so we’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

If you’ve been wondering why some comments get posted while others do not take a look at our comments post.  It should have some answers for you.   LINK TO COMMENTS POST

And be sure to check out our behind the scenes live web camera from the 360° studio.  We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Megan Dresslar

David,
    I agree with you too. I'm support Hillary Clinton too.:) Thanks.

May 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Sunae, Jacksonville,Fl

Gas tax holiday won't work. The oil companies will just rasie the price again anyway.

May 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Kathy, Chicago

Hillary has been confident these last weeks. Obama just seems flat to me.

May 5, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Billi

Joe Klein, bless you! We Hillary fans have known that Hillary is a "hot candidate" and it is about time the media realizes it too.

May 5, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Joe Garmon

i think one of the difficult things people forget, is that Obama only has to win 40% of the superdelegates and pledged delegates from here on out....thats a VERY large uphill battle for Hillary

May 5, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think it will be a real toss up tomorrow. We won't know until the polls close.

May 5, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  7. denise, nc

Micheal I from elizabeth city.

May 5, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Patrick

After watching the first segment. It seems to me that Hillary has tweeked her image to be more like Oboma because that has been what was working and her so called experience wasn't. Especially afet getting caught in her lie about being under sniper fire.

May 5, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Lynn

This gas tax holiday is pandering if you are an Obama or a Clinton supporter..It wil not pass Congress and will never be approved of by Bush..plus, as Obama admits, they tried it in Illinois and it didn't work.

May 5, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Chuck in Alabama: Obama is calling the gas tax holiday a gimmick, but maybe it is a gimmick to oppose it. If it would get as far as Bush and he vetoes it the Republicans will have to take responsibility. Maybe that was Clinton's plan all along.

May 5, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  11. Tanya

I don't understand how Hilary can be promising a gas tax break THIS summer. Does she even have the ability to deliver on that promise. Today is May 5th...

May 5, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  12. David

Jo Ann I agree with you you the republican machine will tear Obama to shreds and Hillaary will tell the Democratic Party I told you so... Hillary is the best to go up againat the republican machine and John McCain.. Of course I am a Hillary supporter..

May 5, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Jay

I am frankly tired of hearing the candidates talk about the economy. Neither are experts. Lets hear from their campaign experts about the economy. the ones, if elected, will be in charge of setting policy. Interview those people. They are who I want to hear from.

May 5, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Henry from Indiana

Good Evening All!

May 5, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  15. R.S.

Hillary will continue fight because people want her to stay in a race.
    Hillary will win! She has real solutions to restore economy, bring jobs, fix or cancel NAFTA, and secure our country. I trust Hillary at 3 AM to make that vital decision whatever it is.
    And please stop derogatory comments.

May 5, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Michael, NC

Denise-what part of NC are you from? I was at the Hillary thing in Greenville today.

May 5, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Bonnie

What is this about a gas tax break, per Hillary. She isn't the president and she has no authority to do anything bout this now. She is so deceptive and trys to make people see things as she wish they would see them. Unless Congress or (UGH)Bush decides to do something quick, I don't think there will be anything different for this summer. Why are we wasting time on this now?

May 5, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Paul Theunissen

Anderson,
    how can you in good conscience lead off the broadcast tonight with the Obama/Clinton usual campaign stories when we are just learning that more than 15000 people may have died in the cyclone in Burma? Your show is one of the best news shows out there, but just because Burma is far away doesn't take away from its catastrophic proportions. Coverage is essential especially when International aid organizations are going to need every penny of public support they can get to help out the victims.

May 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  19. EJ

Hillary is absolutely relentless. In a way I kind of like that. Everytime I start to like her again, her campaign does something idiotic though.

May 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Cheryl M.

Hillary says everyone will have healthcare, 'no one will be without'. How will it be funded? Will the federal gov't fund it, or will the states be forced to fund it?

May 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Kathy

Just how is Hillary going to keep the promise of the gas tax holiday by Memorial Day?

May 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  22. denise, nc

Today was a very good day, I got to hear bill clinton speak on behalf of hilliary and shake his hand. I thought it was great that he came to our town that would never other wise be noticed. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Burma. I agree it is truly horrific.

May 5, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  23. wayne C

its time for democrats to come to gather . Go Mr. Obama, Help use restore America as a leader of democracy.

May 5, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar

Anderson,
    I agree with you...... Burma is very poor people, that is really horrible places to live there, durning cylone storm..... My hearts go to Burma people around 10,000 people died diffcult times.

May 5, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Steve, NC

I believe that Bill Clinton actually increased the gas tax by 5 cent - it's nice of them to give ppl a 6 month break

May 5, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Joe Garmon

I want hillary to win both if anything because of the fascinating nature of this race. IF she were to win both, everything would change. I think a lot of voters are aware of the fact that it would be a major comeback for her, and that seems to always work in her favor.

May 5, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Chuck in Alabama

If big oil pays the taxes on gas this summer, you win. They will keep transportation construction and jobs at full strength. Big oil will lower prices because that will lower their tax burden. Lower prices for truckers = lower prices on goods. Obama says it's just a $30 savings, but, he's not adding $ saved on goods thanx to lower transportation prices.

It's a better plan than McCains and Obama doesn't offer anything.

May 5, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Angel Manners

Vote or die? That is very punk rock

May 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  29. KEN in NC

I feel that Senator Obama will win NC by a larger spread than the polls are indicating and I hope this holds true in Indiana to the extent that he wins by a narrow margin. This should be enough to put the final nails in the coffin of Senator Clintons campaign.

May 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, Ohio

@David: If Obama gets the nomination the Republicans will not be as "gentle" as Clinton has been. He will be forced to face the difficult questions and be forced to come up with some real answers.

May 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  31. EJ

I am supporting Obama but I think he will have to strongly consider putting Hillary on the ticket.

May 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Nicholas

Hi Anderson like your show however all of the others in my house feel that you always start with Mr Obama before any of the primaries Why is that? Hey I cant help it I live in a house of all females

May 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Charlotte

Mr. Obama is very arrogant when he says we need to break our addiction to oil as if the American people have a choice. It's the failed policies of Congress and the President and their failure to act to protect the people that have us desparately looking for someone who can lead us out of this quagmire. While Obama smirks at the $30 savings, he fails to calculate the savings to truckers which leads to savings in food prices and other critical needs. Yes, it's short term to suspend the gas tax, but it's at least symbolic and points to the need for balancing who bears the burdens our country carries today due to the long-term failure of our government to show up for us. Shame on all three of them for allowing us to land in this position.

May 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  34. joeann harris

good evening anderson and blogger.

my heart go out too the burma peoples just hope that aids they need get they fast. with no trouble from the army .

jojo

sydney

May 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Stephany Hurkos

Hilliary should be the next president. Think about it... no one ever gets all the promises – but one thing she will get done is the health program. And if the US is ready for a woman in the white house then she would do right by us.

May 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

It boggles my mind that people thing Obama is elitist......I just don’t get it.

May 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Minou, New York City

Reggie : come again??? the media is constantly making her out to be quite villainous. they never said on nice thing until it SNL started to make fun of the unfair media coverage.

May 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Ronda

Hi, Anderson! I'm really looking forward to the show tonight. I'm curious about this whole gas tax holiday issue, however. How do the people voting for Clinton expect that she will even get this holiday pushed through Congress??? Obama has it right – this is totally a gimmick just to make people think Clinton is on their side.

May 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Reggie

Oh by the way Good Evening Anderson

May 5, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Sarah, Atlanta GA

Anderson, while I understand that this political race is important, I feel there are more pressing issues going on. What about the war??? I don’t even remember the last time you talked about Iraq or Afganistan on the program. And what about NOLA??? It’s been a while since you’ve really mentioned that as well.

May 5, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar

Hello Anderson, Bloggers, and Erica.....
    I have great weekend, Thanks....... I agree with Kathy too. I couldn't wait until tomorrow night.

May 5, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Minou, New York City

Hi Anderson, Erica and bloggers.
    Thanks for calling it Burma instead of Myanmar.

May 5, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Reggie

This needs to stop. The media is constantly making Hillary out to be a victim she is not. The media continues this nonsense. Hillary needs to step down NOW!

May 5, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  44. David

If Obama gets the nomination, the democratic party is in big trouble. Obama seems to be forgetting about the swift vote in November. Remember what happen to John Kerry, Walter Mondale, and Michael Dukasis and Obama will join them too. And we will see John McCain if Obama is swift voted out.

May 5, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Tracey - Boston

Cinco de Mayo everyone!

May 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Good evening Anderson and bloggees....

Happy Primary Eve!!!!!! Hope everyone had a lovely weekend

Anderson your picture is back.....hooray 😛

May 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

15,000 human beings died. It seems a shame, that we are all arguing over such little things, like a primary election, when such a loss of life has happened. My thoughts are with the people of Burma.

May 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Ahmad Masood

Anderson, you are a fab reporter.

Please discuss the conflict of interest that the Bill Clinton Foundation will create if illary is elected. WSJ and other papers have written editorials about it. Hillary has said she will not be influenced by donors. I find the TV news has not discussed this issue.
    Thanks
    Dr. Masood
    Central Valley, NY

May 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Kathy

Hey Anderson,

Weekends are good. Too short though.

It's getting really ugly out there in the democratic race. How is the party going to unite after this primary?

May 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. andersoncnn

good evening everyone. hope you had a great weekend.. We are focusing on politics tonite of course.. but we will also take you live to Burma, where the death toll from the cyclone is now believed to be more than 15,000. Truly horrific.

May 5, 2008 at 9:50 pm |