May 1st, 2008

Morning Buzz

Morning folks.....

Suzanne Malveaux had the FIRST prime time sit down with Michelle Obamaon our show last night...She said that her husband's move to distance himself from his controversial former minister has been "painful," but that she's pleased with the way he's handled the situation. BUT it may be a little too late...The Democratic presidential race is tightening nationally, according to a new CNN average of several recent polls. Obama's lead is now down to 1 point over Clinton nationwide, 45 percent to 44 percent, in CNN's "poll of polls." That margin is down 3 points from another CNN poll of polls conducted two days ago. In that analysis, Obama led Clinton 47 percent to 43 percent. AND a NEW NY TIMES/CBS News poll shows that Senator Barack Obama’s aura of inevitability in the battle for the Democratic presidential nomination has diminished after his loss in the Pennsylvania primary and amid the furor over his former pastor.... Fifty-one percent of Democratic primary voters say they expect Mr. Obamato win their party’s nomination, down from 69 percent a month ago....The results in INDIANA and North Carolina are even MORE important NOW...all eyes will be on Tuesday's primary...

AND even though the WASHINGTON TIMES writes about "the softer side of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton" –Gone is the tough and all-business presidential candidate who regularly blared at rival Sen. Barack Obama, who lately is instead battling self-inflicted wounds. In her place is what most people who know her well say was there all along — a warm and engaging woman willing to laugh at herself. AP is reporting that a leader of the Democratic Party under Bill Clinton has switched his allegiance to Barack Obama and is encouraging fellow Democrats to "heal the rift in our party" and unite behind the Illinois senator. Joe Andrew, who was Democratic National Committee chairman from 1999-2001, planned a news conference Thursday in his hometown of Indianapolis to urge other Hoosiers to support Obama in Tuesday's primary,

For AC360 tonight...Candy Crowley  will be in Indiana covering Obama, Suzanne Malveaux covers Hillary Clinton, and Gary Tuchman has spent the last two days on the campaign trail with Bill Clinton...It is interesting how his role has changed... AND ultimately this will all come down to SUPER DELEGATES...so Tom Foreman  will tells us that while Hillary had a commanding lead when this game started...there has been a massive switch-over...but all eyes are on the "undecided" ones...

TODAY is also the 5th anniversary of "Mission Accomplished." AND according to AP..the White House said Wednesday that President Bush has paid a price for the "Mission Accomplished" banner that was flown in triumph five years ago but later became a symbol of U.S. misjudgments and mistakes in the long and costly war in Iraq. Reuters reporting that an explosion near a U.S. patrol in Baghdad killed nine Iraqis and wounded 23 on Thursday, Iraqi police said.April was also the deadliest month for U.S. troops in Iraq since September, with 49 reported killed. Soo we might check in with our reporters in Baghdad....

Finally - it is IMMIGRATION DAY... there are various marches and rallies planned around the country (in LA, DC, NY, San Diego, SF, San Jose, Chicago). Randi Kaye looks at a complete immigration policy reversal in Arizona...a state that once had the TOUGHEST immigration legislation in the country.. NOW that the jobless rate is creeping higher, it has dawned on lawmakers that an enforcement-only strategy may inflict a lethal blow to state employers in agriculture, hospitality, construction and other industries, all of which have depended on a steady supply of low-skilled immigrant workers. So guess what! Legislators are now looking to reverse the law since it's killing businesses in the state. Oops! In other words, having done its utmost to have undocumented Hispanics fired and driven from the state, Arizona has now decided it badly needs low-skilled labor after all.

AND the Joe John's Keeping them Honest story about the multi-million dollar earmark for a road in Florida requested by the Congressman from Alaska WILL, I repeat WILL, get on the show tonight....sorry but sometimes news over takes us...

Enjoy the day...

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. s. smith

Cnn is known for being fair and balanced.
    Why is Obama and his pastor the only knews we hear about day and night.
    Will you honor your fair and balanced claims? Let us hear about the mistakes other candidates have made.

Will you please cover what Russ Limbaugh is doing. He is influencing people to vote for Clinton and maybe over turning the will odf the peole with false voters.

May 1, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  2. S. Krieger

My suggestion is to allow the Rev. Jeremiah Wright story die. It has been reported, turned inside out and every drop of news squeezed out again and again. It's overkill. We the people can always count on the "news" trying to brainwash us with repetitious reporting. Most of us are able and mature enough to make up our own minds without the news trying to convince us who is right and who is wrong with endless rehashing of the SAME news. If you have something new to report, do it, but please stop the innuendos, name calling (Ann Coulter's specialty) and hypothetical questions. That does not make "news". If the news doesn't police itself soon there will be no listeners or believers any more.

I am a 72 yr old Methodist and have not always agreed with my pastors through the years but I do not practice "church hopping" (our pastors are changed every 5 years or so whether we want it to happen or not). My friends and acquaintances are in that church and I love them and don't want to start all over getting acquainted and making new relationships.

If the news reporters don't stop this intense derogation of people, particularly office candidates we will not have good honest people running for office in the future. What sane person would want to put themselves up for such intense scrutiny?

Please use "good taste" for your reporting criteria.......please.

May 1, 2008 at 2:27 pm |
  3. Paris

Suzanne Malveaux,
    I watched your interview twice, I thought it lacked substance
    No tough question was asked, Michelle wasn’t challenged at all.
    It was more of an opportunity for a political talking points for her.
    Too short and not to the point. You should have asked about her Princeton thesis.
    And I thought having Caroline Kennedy there was a bad idea.
    The first lady of a nation should be able to this alone.

May 1, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  4. angie

It's funny how little things become big things over night.. I personally don't care what rev wright say or do because he is not running for president, my concern is what the canidates say. The news media has been harping on rev wright for far too long. I haven't seen any or much of the lie clinton told about sniper fire that came out of HER mouth if she would lie to those people she would lie to me as president.. I haven't seen any or much of the pastor who endorse mccain while he call the catholic church whores.. If you're going to bumbard us with rev wright it's only fitting you bumbard us with the other 2 canidates errors in judgement or is this the media slick way of showing they are racsist

May 1, 2008 at 12:28 pm |
  5. Michelle

Okay I nominate the baby tossing for the shot.

May 1, 2008 at 12:16 pm |
  6. Achilles

Anderson,
    Why can't the pundints ask the hard questions ?
    This morning on cnn there was a man complaining about immigration and workers visa's in Florida and that he couldnt get enough workers for the golf courses , why cant the reporters ask why they dont raise there wages and hire Americans to do these jobs. the unemployment rate in America is rising and I'm sure there are many Americans that would love to move to Florida if they knew they could get a job and benifits enough to survive there.
    Achilles from Las Vegas

May 1, 2008 at 11:36 am |
  7. Ann

The interview with Michelle Obama was a waste of CNN's time and my time. She avoided the questions the people want answered, not everyone wants to move on, you have many Christian voters out there who would be interested in that relationship.

You will no way make me believe that this man is out of Obama's life, he was a father figure to him, a spiritual mentor, like his own grandmother. If I was walking away from someone I have known and loved for 20 years I would be a little more upset about it than either of those two appeared. Don't be fooled folks, Rev. Wright is not gone.

And why did it take him 20 years to decide he didn't like what he was hearing, oh wait, he never heard anything, I never listened to my preacher either, right.

I believe there is more to Obama than we will ever know unless he should happen to become president, heaven help us all.

Vote Hillary folks, don't let the people who once supported her and now turning against her stop you from voting for the only Hope of America.

May 1, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  8. Kathie

This interview was about as riveting as watching paint dry. Suzanne
    you let her walk all over you and take total control of the interview.
    Just like her husband , her lips move but she didn’t say anything
    during that interview. Even though all she got tossed were soft
    ball questions. Actually , they were just nerf ball questions.
    Why don’t they get that if you want to be president and first lady
    you have to be prepared to answer all the questions the people
    ask you. You can’t pick and choose , avoid or double talk .
    Remember aftereall,you are wanting to be a PUBLIC
    SERVANT in the highest office in the country.
    Shame on Caroline Kennedy , for supporting Obama and sitting
    there beside his wife, when these people supported a man for
    20 yrs who recently insulted and mocked her slain father and
    the way he spoke.

May 1, 2008 at 9:38 am |
  9. Deb, Texas

I enjoyed the interview with Malveaux, Kennedy and Michelle. All three of them are classy ladies. Michelle would make a great FIRST LADY!

A far as immigration, I think it is ashame that the immigrants have to go through the harsh treatment. The criminals – sent them back to Mexico, however there are a lot of people here who are hard working and want something out of life. McCain doesn't talk about immigration at all now that he is a candidate and the media doesn't make him talk about it.

May 1, 2008 at 9:23 am |
  10. Marisa Melia

My big question to CNN is why all your news programs and your news reporters , who should just report the news, are all so obviously supportive and slanted towards Obama. This is just appalling!!
    The ultimate was the way the Michelle Obama interview was handled so delicately ,not to ask her any controversial questions as to why they were so closely associated to Rev. Wright for 20 years, and have just come out now to renounce him, and the only reason they are doing this is for political "damage control". , also what aboout the all important question of her famous quote of " I have never been proud of this country".

Please CNN , you are very transparent , and any intelligent American viewer should come to their own conclusion, like this one has.

May 1, 2008 at 9:15 am |
  11. Rahni, Connecticut

What get my goat is Obama denounced Rev. Wright and people still not satisfied. What do you want Obama to do? Smile and dance the shuffle? People said that they were not going to vote for Obama due to Rev. Wright situation, they were not going to vote for him anyway.

Rahni, Connecticut

May 1, 2008 at 9:12 am |
  12. shannon massey

The Democrat party should take note: there are a few of us out there that agree-as a registered republican woman I will be voting for Senator Obama if he is the nominee. However, if he is not, I will vote McCain, not because I support him, but to help keep Hillary out of the white house! I just don't trust anything she says or does. Obama on the other hand is the most genuine and sincere candidate. I read his book and even though I may not totally agree with everything, he has the best understanding of what needs to happen in this country to fix so many of it's problems. I truly believe in him. I am a wife and mother of three AND I am a devout Christian. Those who aren't sure...please take the time to read his book.

May 1, 2008 at 9:01 am |
  13. Dee Stevens

Around & Around in Coopersville in a complete cirle of 360 degrees.

May 1, 2008 at 8:56 am |
  14. Dee Stevens

This certainly is the longest Presidential election I have ever seen at a primary stage of the game. Your right Anderson about feeling your coverage has been everyday of you life as you stated last Tuesday night.

May 1, 2008 at 8:53 am |
  15. Mark

I watched Michelle Obama last night and on a morning show this morning with Barrack. Now I believe she is hurting Barrack. She will not denounce Rev. Wright personally. She just keep saying that she thinks her husband has say all that needs to be said. Even when press repeatedly she would not answer the question whether she will denounce Rev. Wright. She looked angry, especially when pressed for her own answered. It tells me that she and Barrack are being disingenuous at best. It would have been better for Senator Obama if she was not by his side.

May 1, 2008 at 8:52 am |
  16. Dee Stevens

Good news this morning today is a better day for people who love NYC and who can live and work here. I always love watching your show when you are sitting in your anchor chair broadcasting the news.

May 1, 2008 at 8:36 am |
  17. Kent, Illinois

Candy Crowley is an obvious Hillary Clinton supporter. Why are we having her cover a story on Obama? I can imagine what the story will sound like before reading it.

All Obamamaniacs will continue to support Obama. Obama 08

May 1, 2008 at 8:15 am |
  18. Ringneck1

As much as CNN has supported Hillary Clinton in this race surprises me that Michelle would even take time to talk to CNN

May 1, 2008 at 7:48 am |