May 1st, 2008

Michelle Obama: On Wright, Race and Hillary Clinton

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/30/art.michelleobama.jpg%5D

CNN's Suzanne Malveaux sat down with Michelle Obama on Wednesday to discuss the Rev. Jeremiah Wright controversy, the issue of race and the possibility of an Obama/Clinton ticket.

Watch Michelle Obama's riveting three-part interview which aired on AC 360°

Filed under: Barack Obama • Raw Politics
  1. kiesha johnson

Give Michelle Obama her props this lady has class & is very intelligent ! Besides she is our next first "Lady"

May 1, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  2. Rea

Michelle Obama did a great interview I thought gave peace to her husband as well as provide the excellent opportunity for the country to move on. America has to remember that we have a history that has not been kind to the experience of African American people. Not to mention for Barrack whose mother is white but Barrack was not embraced by white people. Hillary is a hipocrite and I hope she does not think she is clever in finding this predicament for Barrack to be to her advantage. I am appalled at how quick she has forgotten her own experiences with the media. Hillary will do well to be mindful that she is still a candidate when there is time for something to emerge to put her in the same position. Republicans, particularly those who have so much to say and criticize, should also be mindful of what may fall out of their closets.

May 1, 2008 at 6:05 pm |
  3. Zandria P

Michelle is definitelty the type of First Lady that America needs. Barack and his family will be the best First Family that this country has had in many many years! I can not wait until the Novemeber Election when an Intelligeint, Black MAN will be elected as the Unites States President. It is so sad how the media and some of white America is trying to do any and everything to keep Obama from winning- what are you afraid of???? Obama is going to assume poisition in his rightful place, so you all need to get ready to face it and accept it! The Bible says that if we resist the devil, he will flee- well thank God that intelligent people have enough sense to RESIST the devil and his devilish ways to try and distract us from what really matters. Grown up people, FOR REAL!!!!

May 1, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  4. rene h

I think I just enjoy reading the entries because it's like people watching. Right now someone is people watching me as they read this..and that's okay. This only becomes a problem when we take the opinions of others and "get it twisted" into our own thinking. We all should have a moral compass that lets us know what is truth and what is an orchestrated lie. Media is entertainment, mind candy and too much candy isn't good for you. As Bill Cosby's book title says, " Come on People", get a grip. CNN, FOX , PBS, etc are pure entertainment not objective news to inform the mind. That kind of informative research comes only from time and energy spent digging, reading, and discovering on one's own the unadulterated truth. UNTIL you do that you will always be reacting to entertainment and not moving on information. Let us not choose a president on entertainment but substance. I like Obama so far but, I'm a long time Republican and I'm married to a long time Democrat. It gets interesting around the house at times because I can see the Republican side of things. I'm still undecided but I'm doing my homework all along. I suggest others do the same.

May 1, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  5. Dee from Canada

She said everything anyone would expect her to say. She almost lost her cool a few times. I bet she does lose her cool behind the scenes. I seems to be a very pushy type and would not be happy if she did not get her own way and will be a poor loser. What's up with Kennedy? Is that suppose to sway voters or something? It didn't work before, why now?

May 1, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  6. Barb

Everyone is saying that Barak Obama should have known Rev. Wright's views and agreed with them since he had been a member at his church for 20 years.

Well I've been a member of my church for over 21 years. My Pastor's teachings have changed over the years. Twenty years ago he was not preaching what he is preaching today. I mean the general themes. He's not even preaching today what he preached 10 years ago. His message has changed as he has changed over the years. His most recent views are things like women can't wear pants to church and criticizing other churches views I strongly disagree with. But I would not leave the church. The messages that changed my life and made me the wise person that I am today came from his teaching of deliverence of the mind body and soul. These messages were from the first five years of my membership.

May 1, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  7. Steve from El Paso

I believe that Mrs. Obama is more like pastor Wright than is Senator Obama., and more like pastor Wright than she wants to let on. Her now-famous comment that only now, for the first time, is she proud of our country is telling. For a smart woman, she does not recognize the contribution America made to the Marshall Plan to rebuild Europe after WWII. She is not proud that America played a major role in bringing down the Berlin Wall. She was not proud of the way that all Americans came to the aid of New Yorkers after 9/11. Is she not proud of the America that gave her an Ivy League education and provided her the opportunity to earn far more money than, probably 90% of all Americans? I could go on for days about the reasons for which I am proud of America. I believe we should be wary of her potential influence as First Lady. A lot of commentary has been tossed around about racism in the campaigns. I read three newspapers a day and am well-informed. I believe that her beliefs are the most racist of all the persons involved in the current Presidential race, candidates and spouses alike. She is one of the main reasons that this lifelong Democrat will not vote for Senator Obama. I will cast my vote for Senator Clinton, and if she is not the nominee, for Senator McCain.

May 1, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  8. Suzette

I found it very revealing that Mrs. Obama didn't come right out and say she disagreed with Rev. Wright or that she found his comments offensive. She didn't answer the question at all, she just avoided the subject. That's what is hurting the Obama campaign. If you aren't in step with the views of Rev. Wright why is it so hard to say so? More question marks on what kind of person may end up leading this country.

May 1, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  9. Suzanne

Michelle Obama is a clear reflection of Obama's greatness. She is centered, intelligent, poised, caring for her family, honest, direct, and a whole lot of other things that would make us so proud to have her in the White House with Barack. Barack too has integrity, honesty, a quiet toughness, and an ability to be diplomatic and Presidential regardless of all the hot air blowing his way. He stands his ground with a dignity that is admirable.

How refreshing it will be to see them both in the White House.

Enough is enough! Time now for a new chapter in American politics.
    America is ready.
    The best is coming! Obama '08

May 1, 2008 at 1:01 pm |
  10. Laura

Now she's worried on how Wright is affecting her and her children. I wonder why it didnt worry her before the truth came out. What are they really hiding!!!

May 1, 2008 at 12:53 pm |
  11. jimmy vekmen

IT'S EITHER HILLARY OR MCCAIN FOR ME. I AM AN AMERICAN
    AND WILL NOT VOTE FOR ANUONE WHO DOES NOT TOTALLY
    LOVE OUR COUNTRY . ANYBODY WHO PUTS OUR COUNTRY DOWN LIKE PASTOR WRIGHT SHOULD GET OUT AND LEAVE THE COUNTRY.

May 1, 2008 at 12:50 pm |
  12. nerakami, Miami FL

The Clintons former pastor was sentenced Friday to THREE YEARS IN PRISON for inappropriately touching a 7yr old in his home last March by judge Micheal Dwyer.
    Accountable by Association ??

Why is Hillary pastor getting a pass. Why isn"t this story in the news?

THERE IS CLEARLY A DOUBLE STANDARD HERE or are we saying child molestation is OK in America, just like we don't ask Catholics to denounce, reject the Pope who has shielded and harbored their thousands of priest who have molested tens of thousands of young children.

What's wrong with our thinking, There is something fundamentally wrong with this picture.

May 1, 2008 at 12:46 pm |
  13. Maritza

Are you kidding me ,? you call this an interview not only does she do the same as her husband, gloss over questions and issues with generic general words and terms , don't quite know what glub" means? Her body language and expressions on her face were harsh , and defensive when asked by Suzanne about Rev Wright , she became very tight faced and raised her eyebrows, glarring , how dare you ask me again, again just like her husband , too much attitude for the White House, What is most important and what so many ignore is the gross lack of qualification ,skills and experience to run this nation her husband also lacks the judgement necessary for the most difficult job on the world, Hillary interviewed with Bill O'Reilly , here we see a candidate that could hold her own with a challenging interview , give examples of how she will fix problems, explain her position and why on issues such as taxes , the economy in detail , none of this fluff, what was the purpose of the Kennedy buffer" ? the two looked like they gulpped down a bottle of Night-Quil. Suzanne acted as if she was sitting on egg shells. Where were the real relevant questions Americans want to hear, not her kids are getting a dog" some advise go to the Humane Society .

Maritza

May 1, 2008 at 12:45 pm |
  14. Rob -BC Canada

Why are you asking the question? To show that you will move on at CNN from tabloid journalism, thats laughable,but we can only hope.Keep wagging the dog.C for Clinton News Network

May 1, 2008 at 12:29 pm |
  15. naknudson

I cannot believe this woman had the nerve to show her face publicly after her ignorant comments. I have no desire to watch. Her comments were every bit as disturbing as Rev Wright's.

May 1, 2008 at 12:27 pm |
  16. Jan from Wood Dale IL

Nothing against you, Suzanne, but last night's interview told us absolutely nothing. The Obama's have set a pattern with dealing with the media: Asked, Answered, Move On

I do find it somewhat strange that Senator Obama can control the media to his own advantage, and now he has taught his wife to do the same.

May 1, 2008 at 10:39 am |
  17. Terek Y. - Westbury, NY

Okay, so now that Bill and Hillary Clinton's pastor, Rev. William Procanick, has been convicted of child molestation, will we see the same furor directed at Hillary that Obama has had to endure these last few weeks? If Obama bears the guilt for his pastor's comments, then Hillary has to be equally tainted by this guy's crimes.

May 1, 2008 at 10:37 am |
  18. nerakami, Miami FL

Americans need to RESIST main stream media's attempt to hi-jack our entire democratic process by defining what stories go on perpetual sound bite loops and which ones go under the radar.

This is an injustice to the American people and it has got to STOP. It is anti-American to push your personal self-interests (RATINGS) and not the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Shame on all of you and we need to RESIST this madness !

May 1, 2008 at 10:29 am |
  19. Mark, VA

I watched Michelle Obama Wednesday night on CNN and on a morning show Thursday morning with Senator Obama. Now I believe she is hurting Senator Obama. She will not denounce Rev. Wright personally. She just keep saying that she thinks her husband has say all that needs to be said. Even when press repeatedly she would not answer the question whether she will denounce Rev. Wright. She looked angry, especially when pressed for her own answered. It tells me that she and Senator Obama are being disingenuous at best. It would have been better for Senator Obama if she was not by his side.

May 1, 2008 at 10:26 am |
  20. Karen

All I have to say about last night's interview with Michelle Obama is.....Michelle, would you like a pillow?

May 1, 2008 at 9:33 am |
  21. Deb, Texas

Michelle is a very intelligent woman and her responses were excellent.

May 1, 2008 at 9:24 am |
  22. Dolly

How very interesting that Mrs. Obama wants to get back to issues when previously they wished not to debate issues as it was to divisive. What can we say? I want what I want when I want it.

"Listen to your heart. Never stop listening."
    Henry Quick Bear, LAKOTA

May 1, 2008 at 8:47 am |
  23. michelle

This interview to say the least was disappointing and was nothing more then a puff piece considering in went toe to toe with Bill Reilly it lacked content and any value. Asking Michelle Obama about getting her kids a puppy was laughable given the engaging debate that was going on at the same time. I really disagree with Campbell who thought the interview was compelling. Just very disappointing for an avid AC360 watcher.

May 1, 2008 at 8:45 am |
  24. patricia charles-finn

So that we are all on the same page- Bill Clinton and Rev. Wright knew each other from way back in the 90's-Bill even invited him to the white House the day the Monica L. scandal broke out, and he was seeking counsel from him-read the article....and then a couple of days ago -Rev. Wright shows up at the National Press Club...On XM radio 130 today stated that one of Hilary's donators invited Rev. Wright to the Press Club because they knew that this was the smoking gun they were looking for ... and so this is why Hilary has not commented until after the storm... Why is the Press not covering that story-are they paid for? Or is everyone a hypocrite with temporary amnesia? If they talked about this story-then the Rev. comments would be stopped all together-because one can’t attack the other without bringing the guilt by assoc. -especially if both parties knew the Rev. This looks all too “fixed” for me. Watch the P. Paul vs. Hilary story on the U-tube.

May 1, 2008 at 5:18 am |
  25. ALTON WILLIAMS

I believe that the driving force behind the Obama/ Wright controversy is guilt and fear. Many whites in this country are aware of the history of African Americans and what we as a people have had to endure in America. Imbedded deep in the hearts of many whites is a guilt and fear that if an African American ascends to the leadership of this nation, it may mean to many whites that blacks will now get some type of revenge from all those years of oppression. It is this fear that is causing the white media in particular, to keep rehashing the story over and over again. Making sure that every rock has been turned over to see if there is anything in Obama that is similar to a Louis Farrakhan.

May 1, 2008 at 4:16 am |
  26. Vera California

Good Job Michelle, Just like a First Lady. Remember to keep your eyes on your Savior, the bible says, it is He who choose the King. ( President) Love your enemies and those that despitfully speak against you. May God continue to bless you and your husband, it Jesus name.

May 1, 2008 at 4:08 am |
  27. mohamed

why is it that you guys always talking about the white vote for HILLARY and never try to check on the black vote for OBAMA? you have 92 percent of blacks voteing for Obama and no one says anything but when 65 or even 50 percent of white vote for Hillary the whole media want to know weahter they are voteing on racail line . i am a black man who is surporting Hillary and i am very much disturb with that .irefuse to surport Obama because my family want me to vote for him becaise his black and not for what he has done or what he will do .

May 1, 2008 at 3:20 am |
  28. Gary Chandler in Canada

What did the bitter old man, who misconstrues religion to fit his opinion, mean when he said 'we get revenge by the dozens'?
    Maybe hoodlums do, but christians, especially christian pastors, turn the other cheek.
    His 'joke' about the Irish, which he made at the NAACP, is awash in all the other garbage he spews. If that was the only 'over the line' comment he ever made, it would worthy of a 'controversy' all in itself.
    Yet this might be the only public comment on it.
    Before he speaks, he should think of NOT having to use 10 pages to explain each sentence.
    In the NAACP speech he also made two snide and vindictive references to an NAACP chapter who tagged him as divisive. Aren't they thanking him now that he has proved their position beyond a shadow of a doubt?
    You have to hand it to Bush in letting McCain slap him around the side of the head to further the Republican cause. It may turn out that Obama's strong stance against Wright might be all the public needs to finally see him as strong as Clinton.

May 1, 2008 at 2:43 am |
  29. mitzi

Come on CNN give the other 2 canidates the same time as you have Obama!! I am getting sick of seeing the same ole thing. You have run this Obama-Rev. Wright story into the ground .Interview Hilary and her daughter, McCain and his wife. Give them same air time you have for the last 3 days you have given Obama. I am so sick of hearing, gag , gag!!!! To my point of view he should have left this Rev. Wright years ago.The only reason he is now is because he is running for president.

May 1, 2008 at 2:27 am |
  30. Shirley Goffney Ali

I am very disapointed that the media will not let the Rev. Wright talk go. You keep asking people if they think that it will continue and at the same time you will not let it go. As long as you keep showing the tapes over & over, it will continue because you just won't let it go. I have heard several people such as Arianna Huffington saying to you that as long as the media keeps it out there it will continue. I am sure that there are alot more issues that you could discuss then this. I am beginning to wonder just who's side you are on. I thought that the media was suppose to be impartial.

May 1, 2008 at 2:18 am |
  31. Reggie

CNN,

Please, please, please stop talking about Rev. Wright. Barack Obama has moved on, Michelle Obama has moved on, Obama supporters have moved on, and to a large part the Democratic Party has moved on. Why can't the media move on? It seems as if the media is more interested in creating news than reporting the news.

May 1, 2008 at 2:18 am |
  32. Michelle

There is a spiritual tie that binds those who bring us to Christ. That tie exists even if the person is terribly imperfect or hurts us later. What we saw in the other is the "face of Christ", a light that opened our hearts to God's Love. Love is perfectly reflected off the imperfect surfaces of our souls. A former agnostic, I have discovered God's love and light is a mystery that transforms the heart and allows us to truly forgive and, therefore, truly love others...even if we have to seperate ourselves from their disfunction.

What is different about Barack and Michelle Obama? They are striving to be followers of Christ.

Blessings to the Obama family.

Be the change you wish to see – Gandhi.

May 1, 2008 at 2:15 am |
  33. mitzi

I think Obama and Reverend Wright is just a policital ploy. If a person goes to this church for 20 years why did it take him this long to disasoicate himself from Reverend Wright? I have to admit he has gotten a lot more coverage and Cnn you are really giving Obama a lot of time. Move on would you? I would like to hear more with and about the other 2 canidates. And oh that was so sweet Mrs. Obama and Caroline Kennedy sitting together. What a put up job. Is CNN supporing Obama??? It sure looks like it to me. Give me a break from hearing about this day and night. Let the other canidates have the same amount of air time. You are really showing favortism here. And its all with Obama.

May 1, 2008 at 2:12 am |
  34. Arlene Merems

CNN, specifically the AC360 coverage tonight, should be ashamed of itself for perpetuating the very problem that is wrong with the media. You cover these sensationalistic pieces and feed it to the public. Your job is to bring "news" to the people, not fan the flames of sensationistiic journalism. This country is at a strategic juncture with its leadership and you spend precious airtime tonight on the Rev. James story. You do a serious disservice to the intelligence of your audience. I did hold CNN in higher regard than network and certainly FOX news channels. Not so sure now. Today's MEDIA is a huge contribution to "America in Peril"...... Shame on you.

May 1, 2008 at 2:08 am |
  35. Mattie

Michelle was awesome!!! She is smart, energetic and very focus. Yes, I would be very proud to have Michell Obama as the "First Lady" of the United States.

May 1, 2008 at 1:52 am |
  36. G.Berry

Michelle Obama, is a outstanding lady. the interview open my eyes on Barack Obama. I feel they are rooted and grounded for the people and moving forward. Put yourself in their place, after 20 years praying with someone and thinking you know that person, and get slap in the face; it is a painful feeling. Obama has my vote.

May 1, 2008 at 1:47 am |
  37. Sarah

How about the following:
    The latest feud between Obama and the Rev. Wright was planed, coordinated and staged by both of them. This way it gave Obama the opportunity to repudiate himself completely from the Rev. thereby avoid further criticism about their long term relationship.

May 1, 2008 at 1:39 am |
  38. Maggie Reilley

Why does Mrs. Obama need Ms. Caroline Kennedy seated next to her during a rare primetime interview? A little over the top? I have nothing but sincere respect for Ms. Kennedy, but Pleeeeze wasn't Oprah or better yet Sen. Obama available? Thats a true, "Profile In Courage" for women everywhere! I find Mrs Obama mean spirited on campain stump and fragile on rare AC360 interview! Sen. Clinton Had the COURAGE to go head on with O'Reilly on Fox this evening! Where was Michele?

May 1, 2008 at 1:32 am |
  39. Michael Anthony

Do you chaps ask any hard questions. For eample:

Michelle why only now is the Senator cutting with the Rev?

Michelle, would the voting public view the Senator latest cut as politics as usual?

Ms. Kennedy, how do you settle voters merging the concept of 20 years under the Pastor's guidance and your words describing the Senator as extraordinary leadership?

Many of the interviews seem like prepared promotions and the critical questions being glossed opportunity to score points.

Thank you for the space.

May 1, 2008 at 1:23 am |
  40. deborah

I hear dyour interview with michelle and caroline. Now I am sure you know that Hillary's church methodist does not accept gay and lesbians I hope you give her as much attention as you have given obama and his pastor.

May 1, 2008 at 1:10 am |
  41. Deborah S.

My heart goes out to Barack and Michele Obama for what Rev. Wright and the Clinton campaign have put them through in recent days and in recent weeks. Nothing angers me more than Hillary's hypocritical statement that she would not stay in a church where such outrageous comments were made by the Pastor/Minister. My quest​ion to Senat​or Clint​on is this:​ Why do you stay invol​ved with the Metho​dist churc​h when they vehem​ently​ oppos​e a woman's right to an abort​ion and church doctrine belie​ves homos​exual​ity to be a sin? If the value​s and belie​fs you adher​e to are in direc​t oppos​ition​ to those​ of your minis​ter and your congr​egati​on,​ how can you atten​d this churc​h?​ Could​ it be that your "true" belie​fs are in align​ment with the Metho​dist churc​h and that your publi​c state​ments​ on abort​ion right​s and homos​exual​ity are just polit​ical postu​ring in an effor​t to becom​e the Democ​ratic​ nomin​ee?​ I certainly hope that this is not the case. I hope that you would​ say that you are comfo​rtabl​e sitti​ng in your Metho​dist churc​h,​ heari​ng these​ infla​mmato​ry state​ments about homosexuality and abortion rights​ becau​se you can diffe​renti​ate betwe​en what your minis​ter says versu​s what your own personal belie​fs are. I give you the benefit of the doubt. Why don't you give Senat​or Obama​ the same benef​it of the doubt​.​ Can't you see the hypocrisy in all of this? You can't have it both ways.

May 1, 2008 at 1:09 am |
  42. Henry MC

WELL SINCE I KNOW NOW YOU GUYS DONT LIKE MY VIEWS AND REFUSE TO READ OR POST MY COMMENTS I WILL MAKE THIS SHORT AND BRIEF,HILLARY DONT DESERVE TO BE HIS RUNNING MATE,AND SECOND YES THE RACE CARD IS BEING PLAYED.NOT JUST BY HILLARY AND BILL,BUT THE MEDIA AS WELL HENRY MC-FROM EAST ORANGE NEWJERSEY

May 1, 2008 at 1:03 am |
  43. Lilibeth

Thank you, Suzanne, for interviewing Mrs. Obama. The more I hear her, the more I'm impressed with her. She is so intelligent and seems to genuinely care about other people. She would make a great First Lady.

May 1, 2008 at 12:52 am |
  44. Y

Great Interview Suzanne. I'm so glad the Rev. Wright thing has been put to rest. And if the Republicans & Hillary want to keep riding on Wright then my argument to them is since they've decided that a person�s church is going to be the determining factor of becoming President, does that mean that out of the thousands of Americans attending Rev. Wright�s church, John Hagee�s church, Rod Parsley�s church, Jerry Falwell�s school and Pat Robertson�s school, not one of them can become President? These are all Christian churches with similar Statements of Faith, with pastors that have various questionable points of view, but they never waiver from the truth of God's word. That�s all we should be looking at.

May 1, 2008 at 12:33 am |