April 30th, 2008

What I saw when Reverend Wright preached

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/30/art.wright2.jpg%5D

Editor's note: Eboo Patel is founder and executive director of Interfaith Youth Core, a Chicago-based nonprofit that promotes interfaith cooperation. He adapted this from his On Faith blog posted by The Washington Post:

Ebo Patel
Author, Acts of Faith: The Story of an American Muslim, the Struggle for the Soul of a Generation.

I discovered in the African American tradition – the poetry of Langston Hughes and Gwendolyn Brooks, the novels of Toni Morrison and Ralph Ellison, the scholarship of Cornel West and Henry Louis Gates, the sermons of Martin Luther King and, yes, Jeremiah Wright - a way of being that gave an honored place to my heritage as an Indian and a Muslim, and an invitation to bring those parts of me to the American project, which is fundamentally about people from the four corners of the earth building a nation together.

When I first moved back to Chicago in late 2001 to start the Interfaith Youth Core, it seemed like I heard Jeremiah Wright’s name mentioned every place I turned. All kinds of people –rich folk and poor folk, traditionalists and progressives, young people and old people, black and white, believers and atheists – told me I had to go see him preach.

Nobody said anything about radical politics or hating America or stirring up a race war. The one word I heard used in reference to Jeremiah Wright over and over again was the word that University of Chicago divinity professor Martin Marty used to describe his ministry: “Hope”.

Here is what I remember most about that morning: At the end of the service, Reverend Wright read aloud a letter that a young woman had sent him. She had grown up in the congregation, was now studying for a PhD in oceanography, and was writing to thank Reverend Wright and Trinity for all they had done to support her.

This is what we’re about, Jeremiah Wright said, waving the letter from the pulpit, proud enough to be her own father. The congregation cheered wildly.

At this point, everyone has an image of Jeremiah Wright. But that moment made a lasting impression.

Read Ebo Patel's entire blog here

1. Soji from Texas

Kyle in NJ, well said, a lot of the white people in this country are then racist because their parents were. How many of you white people, especially older people looked down on black people pre-segregation and even after? So your children are also racist too, because they grew up listening to your views. Especially all you women who talk about big mouthed black woman, women who didn't have a voice and had to speak loudly and fight for a voice, and now you talk about big mouthed black people? Talk about racist. Race is clearly an issue.

Obama 08

April 30, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  2. A Silent American

The reverend was the center of attention at his church....He can't stand not having the attention of a "big crowd". With the media – he just found another "big crowd", that's all. I have a few loud mouthed "relatives" myself.

Sympathies for Obama

April 30, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  3. ophelia/FL

If you haven't lived someones life you should not judge them for how they feel, some people have had it alot harder than other, & also seen way worse things. If Rev. Wright is wronge, then I have three words... FREEDOM OF SPEACH!!!!!
    Let Move On!!!!

April 30, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  4. Shannon McMurphy

Yes, poor Barack Obama, being the target of his vengeful pastor.
    BUT FOR 20 YEARS?
    No one can tell me he NEVER witnessed any of Rev. Wright's rants and raves in all that time, as would his wife.
    Now they trot her out on CNN to cry the blues in some "in depth" and "soul searching" interview.
    I guess we're supposed to feel sorry enough to vote for him. Not a chance.

April 30, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  5. DJ

Obama said he could never throw his pastor 'under the bus'. He even equated his pastor with his grandmother: me thinks his granny better go into hiding...there is a bus looking for her.

April 30, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Jane, Detroit, MI

Trenton Sims, you are so right! Why is it Clintonphiles are so quick to jump all over Wright when they don't see that their own candidate Hillary has a pastor, William Procanick (please google search his name) who is convicted and sentenced to 3 years in prison for child-sex abuse of a 7 year old girl. I guess Hillary chose her pastor didn't she? Is this more acceptable (child molestation) than Wright's rantings? And John Hagee (McCain's pastor) hates Catholics and says we got what we deserved when Katrina hit New Orleans. Said it was punishment from God. There is plenty of dirt to go around, so I say we call a truce on attacking Obama and Jeremiah Wright.

April 30, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  7. Pam Blaker

We need someone who can mean business. Americans have lives to live and need to put someone in office who can carry on and represent the constituents of this country. We go to work everyday and know what it takes daily to keep our lives and our businesses moving forward. We need to elect someone to carry on without us having to interfere in every day duties. We have our lives to live and that is why we need to elect someone who has our best interest in mind. Get real. All of us deal with the same things on a daily basis only with more staff and crucial decisions. If we have to constanly deal with issues that we have elected people to do that for us, then we need to run for office ourselves. Hillary Clinton is the best candidate. Vote and move on.

April 30, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  8. Mr. McClain

It's funny that the press/media is not talking about who organized the National Press Club event. It was organized by Rev. Dr. Barbara Reynolds one of Hillary Clinton's sponsors. Now that should be something that they also need to talk about.

April 30, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Pam Blaker

Please don't insult my intelligence and the voters of Pa.

We know Hillary is the better candidate for president. I think there is more behind the scenes than what we know.

Hillary, we support you!

April 30, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  10. ML.Holmes

A talented surgeon may save 3,000 patients from a certain and almost immediate death, then go home amd kill his devoted wife. His wife was entertaining another man in the bedroom.
    This man is a murderer first and foremost. He will spend the rest of his life in prison. The saved patients don't care.

Senator Obama has not saved even his own district of South Chicago from further deterioration of proverty, drugs, crimes and gangs. He should practice what he says he will do in his own district before stating he is capable of fixing the problems in all 50 states. Of course, he better himself by moving into a manion with the help of criminal, Tony Rezko. He just wants the power, he does not care about the people.

April 30, 2008 at 9:51 pm |
  11. Annie Kate

Just as Reverend Wright does not represent all black miinisters the priests that committed heinous sex crimes against the young children of their flock are not representative of the priesthood as a whole. There are many priests that have labored long for the church and have been the type of priest the church is proud of – don't generalize the ones that weren't as representative of all of them. In attending the Catholic church for over 30 years I never heard one or met one that was a pedophile.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

April 30, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  12. Jena, Australia

My enduring imagery of Jeremiah Wright is that he and the current pastor, together with whatever operates as a `board` for this church have used parishioners' funds to build their retirement home: a 10,000 sq ft multimillion dollar mansion in a rich white gated community complete with golf course and coupled that monstrosity with a multimillion dollar credit card for him.

Ghandi this man is not. A damned charlatan he's become in his middle years. He says he ministers to the poor and answers to God? Maybe he should stop focusing on the Old Testament and focus on the New. (Jesus to the rich man...)

The whole thing's disgraceful.

April 30, 2008 at 9:18 pm |
  13. Scott

A pastor, superintendent, president etc. should NEVER be in power
    for more than 6 to 8 years. How could that church let him monopolize the pulpit for so long? No one else qualified?
    Rev. Wright has lost sight of his calling. He is now trying to be
    as righteous and holy as the Pharisees...

Power corrupts

April 30, 2008 at 8:28 pm |
  14. Sharon Melichar

Rev. Wright is a conspiracy theorist. Give him a set of Ginsu knives, a Star-Trek dvd and send him home.

On the other hand, Hillary wants to "obliterate" Iran. Hmm...

Which scares you the most? A man with a good Stephen King premise?
    Or a would be leader promoting nuclear solutions to political problems?

April 30, 2008 at 8:02 pm |
  15. Christine

Trenton Sims – it is idiot people like you who believe that all priests are pedophiles – with thousands of priests in the world will there be bad ones yes of course – but not as wide spread as some people would have you believe. And as a Catholic I would not sit with a peodphile priest I would turn him in to the police, but I have never heard a priest preach such bull as Rev Wright has.

April 30, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  16. Wens

I am a professional African American nanny to 3 children in a bi-racial family who attend an Evangelical Christian school. The comments that are made to these children by their fellow "Christian" white classmates are appalling.

Differences are still not being taught by parents; deficiencies are. We still live in a society where some people still believe that because of our ethnic/cultural backgrounds, there is something wrong with us. We aren't seen or accepted as being different. Can you imagine what it feels like explaining to an 8 year old the reason why he/she wasn't invited to a classmates birthday party is because of the color of their skin?

What I saw with the press club was a Vice President and some press members (the Q & A portion) that didn't do their homework on Rev. Wright, the UCC, Trinity UCC and Liberation Theology. They really thought that Rev. Wright was an un-educated pastor. He was totally misjudged and underestimated and that's probably why the same notion is being portrayed about Barack Obama. Not one time did I find Rev. Wright's comments divisive; he talked about unity, acceptance and understanding for the United States and the world.

April 30, 2008 at 7:45 pm |
  17. Mark

I'm a 50 year old white man with limited education and I found Pastor Wrights speech at the NAACP to be illuminating and touching. I was moved to tears near the end when he began speaking about the harm we've done to ourselves and others through ignorance. I was moved to hope when he stated that change IS coming. I believe he is correct on this. I've been tuned into politics in America from the time I was twelve years old and I've never seen or felt anything like what is now unfolding. People are getting involved and they want change.

I'm sorry that things appear to have turned out badly between Pastor Wright and Barack Obama, but I have faith that in the end it will work out for the best.

April 30, 2008 at 7:42 pm |
  18. Trenton Sims, Los Angeles, California

At least he is not a Pedophile..

Maybe all Catholics should be asked to leave the Catholic Church..

How can they sit there for 20 years listening to Child Molestors?

April 30, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  19. Brenda

This incident with Rev. Wright exposes America. The comments I've heard and read since he's been forced on the political arena have been hypocritical and just plain ridiculous. Imagine white Americans out raged because a black man who was raised in a racist society dares to speak on it. Christians mocking him when christianity initially approved of slavery. Lets not forget the self righteous, the ones who enjoy the racist jokes told in the privacy of their own homes, belong to the clubs and organizations that they know have racist people and leaders in them, or those of you with your racist friends that you have drinks with by choice. America open your eyes and look at yourself the world is watching. How dare we go to another country and fight for Democracy if we don't want to deal with our own issues. Is Iraq really any different than America? Do you think these are the kinds of issues the Shi'a and Sunnis are having? Lets admit that we all have racism issues and deal with it not pass judgement on others. It's always the ones who are most outraged that are the biggest offenders.

April 30, 2008 at 6:30 pm |
  20. Rob

I think the Reverend Wright is trying to upstage his friend and peritioner who has set the stage for him to out do Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton. I think he is a bitter , with possibly good foundation, however one in his position has to rise above the muck and the mire. One can't walk through a field of mud without getting a little dirt on themselves so stay out of the mud.

April 30, 2008 at 6:25 pm |
  21. Bonnie

When we stand before the JUDGEMENT SEAT OF CHRIST the only sins we have to account for are our own. Not someone we knew for twenty years or a day. Obama is his own man. Do the whole Catholic church have to repent for the acts of the priests that raped young boys? No! Was the Pope asked over and over about this situation? No! In fact this has died down. How many of those priests went to jail? When that one white preacher had been caught cheating on his wife he stood and cried. So why is it that Obama is being crucified because of his pastor? We all have people in our lives that in certain circumstances would embarass us or might say something outrageous. Maybe in our own families. But with Obama he has to denounce Rev. Wright, Farracon, and any strong black man. I challenge people to read BLACK LIKE ME" and see how we as blacks are truly treated in this country. Also watch MRS. BAKER BOYS a movie about how the gouvernment of the United States inflicked black men with the sysphalis virus. White people are so quick to judge our leaders while theirs go around doing things and nothing is said or little is said. If Obama were white Rev. Wright would not have been an issue. The reason I say this is because when Bill Clinton called Sen. Obama a "BOY" THIS WAS NOT BLOWN ALL OVER THE UTUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 30, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  22. ck moon

you guys dont have any news to report? people are sick of wright 's news. i'm sure there is somewhere in the world need to be report.

April 30, 2008 at 6:04 pm |
  23. Kyle in NJ

Someone please explain this to me, if your parents are racists, say racists things and move through life with racists attitudes, should we conclude that you, yourself are of the same. If that is the case, all african americans can conclude at least 55-64% of white americans have a racists attitude. I choose to associate people with their own actions and not with the actions of others. Please let me know if I should start associating a person with the actions of his/her friends and/or family.

April 30, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  24. P. Morrison

Rev. Wright is a charater, he may be offensive to some and down to earth and funny to others, you have to look beyond him and keep it moving. He can talk a big game, and has developed his own oppinion over the years. Rev. Wright will tell it like he see it with out a sugar coating, do not let him offend you. Through my eyes and ears, I see and hear Rev. Wright but what he has to say should not influence any American of any race against Senator Obama. This is an American thing and not a Church or racial thing.

April 30, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  25. Allie in Seattle

I saw an old fool.

April 30, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  26. Katt Morris

Obama will recover from the "Wrath of Wright."
    My opinion is that the Rev. did an injustice to his Church and to the NAACP for whom he spoke for. His flippant speech on Monday did nothing to advance African American equality in our country. As Obama tries to reach over the lines of race and political differences, Rev. Wright's bigoted and hateful words threaten to unravel the good that Obama has started. I agree that the Rev. should be allowed to answer to the media frenzy over the soundbites that were played, but Monday's speech was more than explaining his point, more than saving his reputation. Oh how intoxicating the limelight can be, shame on you Rev. Jeremiah Wright, read your Scriptures about temptation.
    "Yes, we can... MOVE ON!"

April 30, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  27. kevin jetz

white people would never vote black person...they are just pretending in the primaries then come november they vote white person, it's when they meet you on the streets and smile at you then once you pass them they call cops on you.......am only 19 and have experienced the worst racism...both from the east to west...and have realized that the only solution is to be radical even if it cost my life...after all i was born dead just like other young blacks around the country

April 30, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  28. Mike in NYC

Carol wrote:

"I do not know the answer – could a Reverend of this stature be an egomaniac as well?"

He wouldn't be the first.

H Sapiens wrote:

"... a lifetime of bitterness from personal slights received, no doubt, but even more, from the oppression and indignities imposed upon his people from 1619 on."

Familiar song. A person of quality does not wallow in bitterness from
    "slights, oppression and indignities," real or imagined, but strives and moves forward.

"... the racial animus of the white race ..."

Sure, the "original sin" of being white.

April 30, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  29. Jolene

Ebo:
    In all due respect, your perception of Rev. Wright is based off a sermon you witnessed back in 2003. Whether right or wrong, my perception is based off his speeches this past weekend. What may be offensive to me may not be so offensive to you. Regardless, he has offended people and rather than be defensive, he should apologize.

Remember Pope Benedict XVI’s speech that resulted in protests and outrage from him citing a text book that characterized the teachings of Islam’s founder as being “evil”? Did he go around and defend himself? No, he apologized.

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

April 30, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  30. kevin jetz

REV Wright is now saviour and jesus for all of us young black people...Obama doesnt represent black...he's half white, we adore Wright and Farakhan....hail the black revolution......we are moving back to the 1960s...and yeah now we really need segragation...we wanna state for us blacks and browns...matybe california coz it's mexico....what i know is that most of us blacks are fed up with this country....watch out...we are coming out.

April 30, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  31. AJ

Rev Wrights speach sickened me to be perfectly honest. I felt like he was not only talking down to anyone who wasn't black,I felt like he was making fun of them aswell. I do not think he is fireing on all cylinders because he spoke of right brain/left brain being determined by race! That man needs a science lesson along with a lesson in humility. He looked like an idiot standing there speaking selling his friend Obama out! Obama basically lost the nomination due to Wright...I wouldn't vote for Obama now! I think Wright gave America a sneak peak of what our news would be like if Obama got elected....Americans don't wanna have to listen to such crazy and outragious remarks for the next 4 years!

April 30, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  32. Debbie from Texas

Yes, and do you think that people are there in his church just to listen to him. "LOVE" is an action word – it is his WORKS that people admire. You good old news media people will defy a 'pope' if you had the opportunity. I see you all as evil people. You are trying to portray Rev. Wright as racist, when in the eyes of many YOU ALL portray yourselves as some kind of racist.

April 30, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  33. TaWaun

Im a 28yr old black man I lost alot of respect for my country after the lies that lead to this Iraq war. Since I started following this election Mr. Obama has lifted my spirts about being an American he has giving me a sign of "hope". Something not only I needed but every American that is struggling to see the American dream. Clinton & McCain represent the same status quo. We need a change and the change is now.

April 30, 2008 at 3:28 pm |
  34. Dorothy, MD

In this primary election, the media is our worst enemy. The media needs to stop talking 24/7 attempting to program our minds on what we should think about McCain, Obama and Clinton. The media just need to let us listen to the candidates and make a decision on our own without all their added comments. By the way, who is all these people that continuing telling the candidates what they should and should not do. If they know the politics that well....why are they not running for the office of president. I can't begin to say how tired I am of the media. It has been said that the media has the power to make you or break you and in this primary...it has proven to be true. And we say we live in the land of the free and brave. The media has destroyed the freedom of the people to make decision on their own. Bottom line, it's which media can get the better rating.

April 30, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  35. Chantay Courtney

Rev Wright, you are wrong selfish and ungod like. I reject you and hold you accountable for the outcome of this presidential race. You alone and your own mind should suffer what you have reaped.

April 30, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  36. H Sapiens

The Patel piece certainly gives us a different picture than we saw Monday at the Press Club, and a world of difference from the now notorious loop of Wright's fulminations shown ad nauseam on the cable shows when every station became Fox for a week.

The point to be noted is the extreme complexity of this man. A brilliant and trained mind, but one that cannot escape a lifetime of bitterness from personal slights received, no doubt, but even more, from the oppression and indignities imposed upon his people from 1619 on.

Imagine the mixed feeling in the mind and heart of Barak Obama, as he beheld this man who led him into the Christian faith, and offered hope to his people, but who was clearly scarred and stunted by his past, and therefore limited in his ability to be the agent of reconciliation that he desired to be.

Imagine too, Obama, pained as he beholds this sad, tragic figure that has become his pastor and friend. Capturing at once the Hope that Wright proclaims but cannot offer, he nevertheless learns from Wright. He learns not to appropriate and emulate the deep residual hate in the man, but to rise phoenix-like above the sad ashes of Wright's animosity, and offer hope, cleansed of the bitterness, to those who will follow.

As a white American male, past middle life, I would affirm the Hope Barak Obama offers –The hope that transcends the racial animus of the white race, and the answering suspicion and anger of the black race. I fear that the same spirit of rejection that resides in the heart of Jeremiah Wright may be at work in the hearts of many whites, and so I fear for the Obama candidacy. It is a sad turn of events.

But there is always hope!

April 30, 2008 at 3:06 pm |
  37. Chantay Courtney

Obama not vetting, or should I say judging his pastor should be taken into consideration. I don't think that he attended this church on a consistant basis either. I must say that we have all had a friend or two that has crossed us or wasn't what they appeared to be initially. Think about it in this way, newly weds men say women changes after the ring and vows are made. Women say the same. So who's correct? For white voters to claim that it's too late, baffles me, they are willing to forgive outright lies from HRC but not willing to give Obama the same opportunity whom to me has less infraction.

April 30, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  38. Dennis

Interesting...I have yet to see anybody else quoted that has claimed that Wright promoted hate speech in his sermons each Sunday. It is obvious that this man has made a POSITIVE impact on people's lives. Of course one doesn't agree with everything he says, however, it was unfair to demonize him like the media has done. I have more respect for him then anyone in the media. Do you think Sean Hannity would hold up to such national scrutiny? Bill O'Reilly? Bottom line is IT'S CALLED CONTEXT PEOPLE! The media should report news IN IT'S CONTEXT. If the Wright matter would have been reported in its context instead of its most controversial sound bytes, this issue wouldn't have been that big of a story. But then that's the point isn't it? Ratings sell!

April 30, 2008 at 2:57 pm |
  39. Chantay Courtney

I am surpised that people don't judge a person by whom the individual is and not who he associated with. Even if you are married and living with someone, you don't know that person. How could you, when we don't know ourselves in certain situations or what we would do. To think that one is faulty by association why isn't HRC held to this same degree in the media surely Bill has a heap of stuff that could be lavished upon.

April 30, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  40. Keith

Is any one else tired of the Media's obsession with Why did Obama stay in the church for 20 years?

This is a ridiculous questions here's why?

A church would not grow from 87 memebr to over 8,000 if all it represented was the messages represented in the few minutes shown.

If what was shown was typical there would be far more clips being shown.

This church is known for its contributions to the community, a big part of belonging to a church.

It woudl be great if the media would present facts instead of the hyperboil we have seen the past weeks; many of the people in the media commenting on this issue have not heard the entire sermons or even have background knowledge of Jeremiah Wright and his church...translation they are reacting to soundbites.

April 30, 2008 at 2:47 pm |
  41. Carol

This was exactly how Barach described him. Why then did the Rev, knowing he was on national TVmake a spectical of himself and rant exactly how the right -wingers wanted Americans to see.

I do not know the answer – could a Reverned of this stature be an egomaniac as well.

Very sad

April 30, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  42. Brice Smith

Please ! Please ! enough already. People have heard enough about Rev Wright, he serves only as an distraction and should be look upon simply as entertainment. Let's stay focused on the real issues.

April 30, 2008 at 2:25 pm |
  43. Judi, Washington DC

It is so sad that some preachers (both black and white) have turned the house of God that is supposed to be a holy and sacred place to preach the gospel into a political arena to voice their personal opinions and promote the highest political bidder.

On another hand, what is this hear about Rev. Wright and Louis Farrakhan? Talk about foolishness. I say, what business does a rat have with a snake? …to be eaten for lunch!

April 30, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  44. Slater

I watched his speech on Sunday and while I felt he had many good things to say, it was sort of like watching an oxymoron in action. The entire time he stated he wanted to "unite" the races through mutual understanding, the very composition of his speech dissected and compared each race, leaving a person feeling they are still pretty divided. I had a feeling of hopelessness about race unity similar to that of trying to get from one mountaintop to another in the Grand Canyon without a bridge.

Perhaps Rev. Wright should stick to retirement.

April 30, 2008 at 2:18 pm |
  45. Amanda

Rev. Jeremiah Wright is not running for the highest office in America. The man who sat under his teachings. Whom asked for his advice on religious matters and personal matters is. That concerns me. He says he wasn't there when he preached the clips we have seen in the media. But, I still believe he knew his views that he expressed in those sermons and at the AP. If he doesn't agree with him why associate with someone who does. Why put him over you and your family for 20 years? Has the American people lost their minds??? YES THIS MATTERS! It matters a lot.

April 30, 2008 at 2:15 pm |
  46. Michelle

There is strength and weakness in all of us. Those who are without sin cast the first stone. How many of us could maintain our integrity in a maelstrom of outrageous public attention? One's character is truly tested by adversity. While I agree Rev. Wright has been, and still can be, a force for good, he went through the fire and was found wanting. All that is left is for us to forgive him and move on.

April 30, 2008 at 1:57 pm |
  47. George Z

I think Rev. Wright is an honest man though I don’t share his view about this country and many issues in his speech. He told us what he believed. That is honesty.

April 30, 2008 at 1:52 pm |
  48. Michelle

It saddens me to see this day. I can feel the pain and hurt that Mr. Obama is feeling. For us as Christians, our Pastors are like a father figure and that local church is our family. In the beginning I could understand the need for Pastor Wright to want to defend himself and he did in a very dignified and respectable way on the Bill Moyer's show and to some degree at the NAACP Covention, but after that his motives have become suspect.
    Reflecting back on the picture with him and former President Bill Clinton, some of us are wondering if he is some way still connected to the Clintons. I know that there is one pastor (African-American) who is so anti-Obama and very pro Clintons. The pastor has made some volatile comments against Mr. Obama, his mother and his father. I'm not a conspiracist but I don't put anything past anyone, especially when the stakes are so high.
    Pastor Wright, knowing the word of God was supposed to take the high road, knowing that if someone slaps you on the cheek you offer them the other. Mr. Obama tried to stay above it all, but Pastor Wright forced his hand. I "hope" that people see beyond this and their fears of black America and see Mr. Obama for who he is and if they don't know read his books; it gives insight to him, the father, the husband, the son and the candidate.

April 30, 2008 at 1:29 pm |
  49. Cathy

well maybe his views changed since then, now he is as bad as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Big Mouthed black Men with a hole lot of attitude that is misplaced in the USA today

April 30, 2008 at 1:16 pm |
  50. xtina, chicago IL

Dr. Patel, if TUCC and Rev Wright promote interfaith cooperation and racial unity, why do U think they set up the Black Values System? Why not American Values System or Christian Values System? Should my church set up a White Values System?

April 30, 2008 at 1:14 pm |