April 30th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 4/30/08

Tonight, Michele Obama speaks out, for the first time, since yesterday’s press conference during which her husband criticized Rev. Wright.  She talks about the controversy, how her husband finally put the hammer down, race and the possibility of Hillary Clinton as a running mate.

We want to hear your thoughts so we’ll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Anderson is off tonight so Campbell Brown will be anchoring the show.  You can see her and Erica Hill on our web camera starting at 9:45p ET.  LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

And for those of you feel like your comments are being ignored please check out a post that explains why some comments get posted while others do not. LINK TO COMMENTS POST

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. michael san francisco

Michelle obama has an obvious attitude problem. We the people will decide when it’s time to move on from the Rev.Wright issue. Maybe it would help if she addressed the Reverend’s comments directly. After all, it was most likely she who introduced Barack to Rev.Wright. This is serious business, this guy has made some outrageous allegations about the United Sates goverement.

April 30, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Michelle

I think Michelle Obama will be an outstanding
    first lady. I am impressed with her style and
    intelligence. She is a real class act.

April 30, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Rob Rowen

Sorry Michelle, the people your husband has spent his life associating with. and being mentored by , are not little problems. The fact that both of you have surrounded yourselves with radical thinking people that have radical racial and political views, should concern every voter. If someone spent 20 years in the company of a Bin Laden, I believe that we would scream foul. The Rev. Wright is not Bin Laden, but his remarks are full of the same kind of hatred, and Obama not only has been a close friend, but considered him like an "uncle" That should concern any person with the ability to think logically.

April 30, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Brian Persaud

This is politics, I don't feel sympathetic to any candidate. I feel like this is college hazing period, and if they can't hold up they need to find a different job.

April 30, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  5. Antonio Diaz

Michelle Obama said she is proud of the USA for the first time in her adult life, now. And still there are even some people that pick her as their role model.

I guess many out there rather to see the glass half full, instead half empty (Notice also this glass contains Vinegar).

April 30, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Paris

You keep insisting that this is the small stuff.
    But the problem is that it is not small.
    This goes to the root of your husband’s campaign.
    Unity is not what you or your husband is preaching.
    It is not reflected in your action and in your case even your words.

April 30, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  7. ericacnn

I think that's a great point about kids...sometimes they're more honest than the adults are comfortable being, but, man!, we could definitely learn a few things.

April 30, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Sandy Nelson

I teach college-level critical reading and thinking skills. It doesn't take long, when you look at the character, message, and platforms of the candidates, to see what this country is hurting for: Barack Obama as a President who reads, thinks, defends the little guy and the constitution, and a first lady to match!

I think it's time our country becomes color-blind, and time the media picked up on what everyday citizens are already doing.

Good luck, Sen. and Mrs. Obama. We are with you!

April 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Paris

The sacrifice and jumping on the problems all starts with your intentions and your believe system.
    You have never been proud of this country and you said we are down right mean.

How can you be our first lady?

April 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  10. michael lashway

Suzanne, if you throw Mrs. Obama one more softball, I am going to bark.

April 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  11. Kim

If the news media would have shown the true Obama from the start he probably would not be where he is now. It will be a shame if he gets the nomination, and as a democrat ensures my vote for McCain.Obama is not what he or most news media portray him.
    Only Hannity gets it.

April 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  12. Fay, CA

Michelle Obama comes across as a very intelligent and strong woman–Barack has to be pretty proud to have her supporting him.

April 30, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

Obama is definitely going after the female vote now – last night, that's what Roland Martin was telling him on the show – that's why Michelle is out there with Caroline Kennedy

April 30, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Gina from NS

Talk about beating a dead horse...I don't blame her for not delving into the issue from scratch, what more can really be said that hasn't already been drawn out by every pundit on television? Time to move on. The Obamas seem (to me, at least) to be a different breed of politics altogether, and it's a shame that these authentic people are being drug across the coals over tedious nonesense, issues that should be non-issues, issues that are only being dramatized because there isn't any other ammunition to throw at them. I applaud their efforts.

April 30, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  15. carmen

there is not enough room for Obama, Bill and Hillary on the same ticket

April 30, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  16. Suzanne

I hope that the media will finally tire of asking the same questions about Wright. It's gotten to the point that I now change the channel as soon as I hear his name....

I want to hear how my next president is going to help me afford my groceries, lower the price of gas, help those who are losing their homes.

Enough with Wright, let's move on to the real issues.

April 30, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  17. ericacnn

HI, everyone - sorry I'm late to the party tonight. I was watching the first part of Suzanne's intvu and all of a sudden realized I wasnt logged on to blog - oops!

April 30, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Sandy

Michelle Obama...what a class act. How could our country go wrong with a great first family. I have never voted for a democrate before.
    This is a first for me. I am excited to vote for him.

April 30, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  19. clara, Gary, Indiana

I am obviously proud of Mrs. Obama. High Standards delivery and gosh such a smart response that should have been done a long time ago. That is what I am talking about. She is not eating your sensationalization trash. Now you eat it. I wonder when this is over what many of you are going to do with your lives. Wow!!! she is so dignified.

April 30, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  20. Carla Ontario Canada

They know Obama's in trouble, so they bring in Caroline Kennedy to try a convince people to vote for him.
    I dont think race has anything to do with it, It is about Judgement, values, and credibilty!
    Did rev wright say he wanted to be VP at press club.

April 30, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar

Good question Paris.... I agree with you

April 30, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  22. Chuck in Alabama

In the beginning of the campaign, everything anyone knew about Obama came from books he wrote about himself. # of states, $, and delegates will not make undecided voters chose Obama. She should be selling his ideas on the issues. Not more of this "change, change, change" hooplah. Sell me, Michelle.

April 30, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  23. Lilly

Good Evening I am sick of hearing that because Obama thinks of the Rev. Wright as family that everything is ok. I am the youngest of 6 siblings born in D.C. we were all taught the same moral values. My brother who is the oldest made choices in his life that made him a person that I didn't want to be around and didn't want him to have any impact on my children. I made a choice not to have anything to do with him and he has not been a part of my life since. So if you were to ask me the only reason he continued to stay in the church and think of Rev. Wright as a spirtiual advisor is because he believes the same. I like most people BELIEVE if you don't like someone or don't believe in what they stand for you STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

April 30, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  24. Jason-Riverview, FL

He wins the most states she said; well SEN Clinton has won the MOST votes...yes EVEN here in FLORIDA.

April 30, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  25. Mike from Syracuse NY

It does defy belief that they can have been in that church for 20 years and not share at least some of these opinions.

April 30, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  26. Rene-Miami

Michelle Obama would be should a great first lady, she really doesnt seem like a cookie cutter senator;s wife....

April 30, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  27. Paris

What do you mean you are ready to turn the page?
    The people are not. We need answers. You husband had 5 different reaction to Wright?
    How can we trust him as a leader?

April 30, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  28. EJ

"Caroline Kennedy is the former president’s daughter, but….why is her opinion/endorsement important? Should we be influenced by her?"

I love Caroline. Many other people (especially older women) are reminded about the Camelot era.

Obviously one person's endorsement is not going to win the nomination or presidency – but if you want someone to endorse you in the Democratic Party – I think Caroline Kennedy is one of the best figures. She usually keeps very quiet.

April 30, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  29. Lesli

Paris, I see what you mean. Obama hit a road block with Wright, and rather than communicate with him he cut him out. This is a man who talks about being inclusive but he now excludes a family friend and pastor. Is he only friends with people agree with him. If that's the case why does he think he can talk to foreign leaders and come out with solutions and better understanding of issues.

April 30, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  30. Genevieve M, TX

Michelle Obama previously said that she is "disapointed in America", now she is acting "All-American". First her husband denounces their pastor, and now she is trying to appear patriotic.

It's just more false advertising from the Obama campaign.

April 30, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  31. Paris

You can’t move on from this.
    We the people need to know why this family likes to be surrounded with this kind of radical Idea’s.

April 30, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  32. anne

give me a break.. why is obama and his wife always trying to move on to important things when something bad comes out about him.. why not face them instead of trying to flush them out..

April 30, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  33. Claire

I agree with Michelle Obama....let's move on. We've analyzed this issue to death and I think there are better things to talk about with all the candidates.

April 30, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  34. Jolene

Although I'm disappointed that Anderson didn't do the Michelle Obama interview, it was a surprise to see Caroline Kennedy there supporting Michelle. So is the media going to move on? That is the question.

April 30, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  35. Ann

Maybe I was mistaken but wasn't the advertisement for the show Michelle Obama talks about Rev. Wright?? What did she say, she didn't want to discuss it and CNN just let's it go by, that is one way to get the voters to pay attention, just blow the question off, she did it a good job, just don't discuss Rev. Wright and it will go away.

Ann

April 30, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  36. Chuck in Alabma

Michael, The "story" won't change until something more sensational happens. Every pundit and politician in America now has to answer the "What do you think about...." question. It's going to take a few days as least before this is wiped off the front page.

April 30, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  37. Carla Ontario Canada

hi everyone, looking forward to another great show.
    Sorry but i dont think that Obama has much credibility left.....he has waffled back and forth on the wright issue. How can he deal with the BIG problems.

April 30, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  38. Patty

Caroline Kennedy is the former president's daughter, but....why is her opinion/endorsement important? Should we be influenced by her?

April 30, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  39. Paris

Obama’s conduct and past doesn’t match his words of change and unity.

April 30, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  40. Maureen T

Evening all! Michele Obama is going to make a wonderful first lady, isn't she? She's classy, intelligent and eloquent and she is right beside Barack! To be getting support from Caroline Kennedy is just fantastic!! Go Obama!!

April 30, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  41. Tony

Hooray for Michelle Obama...

April 30, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  42. Michael, NC

I feel that the Obama campaign and his wife and family have done all they can to move on. It is now up to the media to move on.

April 30, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  43. Dustin

Good Evening! Long time reader, first time commenter. Love this feature on the show!!!

April 30, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  44. Janna

Fantastic how Michelle is trying to focus on the beef!

April 30, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  45. EJ

I didn't know Caroline Kennedy was going to be on as well. She's awesome too.

April 30, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  46. Angel

Why are they still interjecting race!

April 30, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  47. Tammy

Hi all...

Hello. Is she really going to go against her husband and say anything bad about him as he's running for president? Duh.

April 30, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  48. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Campbell....are you going to join the blog tonight????

April 30, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  49. DAnne

Michelle Obama,

You are my role model. You epitomize grace, class, intelligence, and strength. Keep up the fight.

April 30, 2008 at 10:02 pm |