April 30th, 2008

360° Interview with Michelle Obama on Wright controversy

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/30/art.michelleobama.jpg%5D
Hey Bloggers,

Just wanted to let you guys know about our program tonight:

AC360° will have the first primetime sit-down interview with Michelle Obama, wife of Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.

We’ll talk about how the re-ignited Rev. Jeremiah Wright controversy is affecting the family, her husband's campaign, and everything in between….

Join us tonight at 10p ET for the 360° interview

1. jennifer

I think Obama made a big mistake in distancing himself from Wright. He is doing exactly what Wright said, "Being a politician!" I am Asian and I think whatever Wright said about this nation, religion, race is 100% correct. Those that regard his speech correct but still want him to keep quiet know some people are not ready for honest talk. They fear Wright's honesty may hurt Obama's chances.

Years from now when we look back at Wright's speech, we'll realize what he said was right. America was not ready. I was going to vote for Obama knowing he had a good and honest preacher, but now I despise Obama for being an opportunist! He is willing to sell the man that has been a big influence in his life, in order to be a politician. Who knows what else he is willing to do in order to keep his position. He should have stood by Wright and tell Americans to listen to Wright, because Wright is honest!

A very disappointed supporter, Jennifer

April 30, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  2. jen

What a beautiful and intelligent women. I will be proud when theyre playing with theyre new puppy on the whitehouse lawn. Hillary you dream of having the class this woman does, Its a wonder only the intelligent people back Barack. The Clintons get the dumb ones to believe They dodge sniper fire when A child Is handing them a flower.

April 30, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  3. Rhonda Davis

thank you for the interview. this is the hope we are looking for...change and hope fpr he future through the Obama story and vision...nice piece and thank you CNN...finally

April 30, 2008 at 11:48 pm |
  4. Joel O'Connell

This is an example of free press for Obama...So Obama get caught with the Rev incident and leave it to the press to bail out the Obamas. First, Obama's response...understandingly...but to put Michelle and Carolyn Kennedy on together...so long for an unbiased press.

April 30, 2008 at 11:47 pm |
  5. Deb McAll

I never thought I would ever favor Fox over CNN or MSNBC, but lately your bias and half-truths are disgusting. Both are Obama campaign headquarters. You people need to be trained by ABC on how to conduct a debate! The interview tonight with Hillary Clinton on Fox was outstanding! Sorry, as much as you tried, I marked Obama off the list of potential candidates in the early debates for his lack of articulating his platform. He was too busy degrading the other candidates. Likewise, Michelle Obama showed her true ilk in an earlier interview. Both appear to have a chip on their shoulders. American is not ready for divisive individuals like them! John Edwards was a much better candidate with true passion, a better track record of working for people and donating to the less fortunate. I was so upset when I found Obama up to his dirty trick publishing a negative pamphlet about Edwards in Iowa! Fox is fair and unbiased.

April 30, 2008 at 11:46 pm |
  6. Mel

Michelle Obama is touting the familar line of “my husband is the under dog.” She wants us to feel sorry for them and to vote for him even though we are learning more bad things about them everyday! This is a couple that has sat in church and listened to the hatred and anti-white sentiment from Obama’s mentor and pastor for the last 20 years and they give all of their charity donations to organizations that help minorities only. This is a couple that is for Black America not all Americans. Whatever you think about Hillary Clinton and her staying with a husband that has had affairs outside of their marriage (I personally think she is a bigger person than I because I would have tar and feathered him on the front lawn of the White House) I have never doubted for one minute that Hillary wants anything other than to help all children and all Americans. Hillary wants all people in our country to have affordable health care, a house they can afford, a good paying job, and healthy chidren.

April 30, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  7. Kathy Priester

Let's let this story die. Let's get back to fixing America, and not the personal politics of denominational religion.

April 30, 2008 at 11:44 pm |
  8. Patrice Archuleta

I completely agree with TESAP
    You have the next First Lady in your company and you ask such trival questions!!
    I am so happy she lead you to higher ground!!!
    I really wish you folks in the media would stop "talking down" to
    ME AMERICA.
    I'd like your job! I'd ask better questions! And I would certainly be more respectful! And get off the soap opera dialog and get down to what we want to know about.
    How much does your boss pay you to NOT ASK the big questions ?? Come on, tell me!!
    ABOUT:
    WAR
    Economy
    Education
    Vets coming home mentally damaged with no medical care!!
    Get real, will you please!
    There may be hope for you,
    P

April 30, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  9. Janet Max

I am concerned that there is far too little discussion of the economic challenges that America faces, and they are only going to get worse over the next few years.

Our national debt is over NINE TRILLION DOLLARS. We need to vet the presidential candidates and their policy teams to determine who will be best able to lead us as we confront this and other challenges, such as a crumbling infrastructure, poverty, and a war that has had devastating impact on our county and Iraq. We need to let these candidates be frank about what we need to do.

Instead, we obsess over flag pins, ministers, and sniper fire, and we tear apart every word anyone connected with the campaign utters, just looking for a reason to dismiss them and hate them. The media has a responsibility to help examine the issues that are critically important to our future, but instead they feed the beast that demands inflammatory superficialities. Americans, demand substance in the coverage of this campaign!

April 30, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  10. KEN in NC

I agree with you Kasha and Jana Brown you have herd their response on the Rev Wright issue so live with it. It is all that needs to be said. Each and every person in this party cannot be given responses until the responses satisfy them. You have to have some faith and confidence. I know that is hard to do on the heals of the bush administration but you have got to try.

April 30, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  11. Char

I think Michelle spoke open and honestly. I really believe that America has been looking for a reason to tear this man down from day one. I'm saddened by hateful comments I read on the blogs as well as well as the divison that has happened to the democratic party. After the way that this has been handled, I cannot in good conscious vote for Hillary if she is the nominee. I have always been a fan of the Clinton family but you see the "true colors" of an individual when they are faced with adversity. Hillary has shown that she wants this at all cost.

Her personal business with her husband was "her personal business" Obama's personal business with his pastor is "his personal business".

I will be voting Republican in the fall and I will encourage everyone I know to do the same.

April 30, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  12. Bill

How can an interview with Michelle Obama not ask her if she wished she said never said a few weeks ago ( quote ) " I was never proud to be an American until recently "

If someone at CNN can't ask that in a sit down interview with Michelle Obama, then you can be assured some other reporter will ask her to elaborate on that statement that Michelle Obama made.

April 30, 2008 at 11:37 pm |
  13. Marie

Can some of the earlier primary states get a revote? We're starting a petition for one.

April 30, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  14. oglesby

What about the issues folks? Aren't there things people say, even in our familes that we don't agree with But still they are family...do their opinions reflect your belief?

April 30, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  15. TOM

Mrs. Obama did not tell the complete truth during the interview..They ask her what she thought about a possible ticket with her husband and Hillary on the same ticket? she responded–I have never thought about it????????? Give me a break, any idiot knows better than that. Its been talked about many times between her and her husband and handlers,,,I am not so sure Mr. Wright(as bad as he is) was not telling the truth when he said they will do and say anything to get elected.( Not word for word what he said)/ But it all boild down to the same thing....

April 30, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  16. Joan Godfrey

When you misquote Michelle's words, you obviously distort the whole meaning of the quote. She said "for the first time in my adult life I am 'really' proud...She emphasized the 'really. She only has to read these blogs to know how 'mean' the country really is. This hatefulness makes me 'really ' ashamed of those who call themselves human beings. What does it say about the writer when they are so determined to call Barack a'liar'.
    When you listen carefully to all of his speeches of explanation, you see that he is telling the truth. He said he did not 'vet' his pastor. In these churches, the children go to the Sunday school for church. There are no children in those pews. When the minister marries you, he talks about marriage and fidelity etc. If you miss those volatile sermons, no one 'tells' you about them because the full context is just not that important.
    This petty stuff is important when you are looking for something to justify your own personal hatred and biases. Jealousy and resentment are alive and faring very well. If you allow MCCain to take over the White House because you do not want a 'biracial candidate' then America will get what it deserves. If people vote against their own self interest out of this intense hatred, then do not complain when things get much worse which they definitely will do. This country is not perfect and saying it is not a crime. I pray and hope that the good people will step forward and take charge because things need to get better. The positive people need to out class the negative people.

April 30, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  17. Polly

What question can you ask about Reverend Wright that has not already been asked? What answer can Barack or Michelle Obama give that they have not already given that will satisfy your hunger for mre? Let it rest!

April 30, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  18. deb in alabama

Michelle is doing what any decent person would do, she is standing with her man. As the saying goes, "behind every good man, there is a great woman." I support and stand with the Obama's doing their trials in life. I think we can all relate to those!
    I love you Barack and Michelle.
    Obama 08'

April 30, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  19. Belay

I am just wondering why and how Mr. Rev. jumped into such game of racial issue. I think he is supposed to teach and live according to the Love of God as we have learned from Jesus. There should be no bias in his heart if he is a true serevant of God.
    I know Americans are matured enough and will not run behind every emotions and comments of evry stubern. I do believe that Americans are no longer behind the skin and gendertoo. However, when the gender issue comes the whole world is not ready for female leadership and I do not know what to do with Hillary Clinton. America is one of the nations to lead the global politics, social, and economical matters. Hillary may not be objected in America because of the lesbians movement and the already developed culture there. But no matter what she will not be welcomed in the other part of the world as aleader of world because most of us are not ready to take such task. I think all conservatives and true Christians agree with me. Christianity is not about the denomination in the church it is about respecting, obeying, and living the according to the principle of God which includes who should be the head of house as well as of nation and in fact prolife principle too.

May God Bless America once again,

April 30, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  20. KEN in NC

Michelle is a very dynamic speaker. She has fortitude and is very forthwright (PUN INTENDED) . I am a strong supporter of Senator Obama but if she was running for President I suspect that even John McCain would vote for her LOL.

I am tired of the dirty polotics now and tonight she elevated their campaign above it all and I think she did a good job of putting things to rest and she stuck to it. Strong woman. Hillary could learn from her after the re-election LOL.

April 30, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  21. Nancy

I am so sick of the media constantly dredging this issue up. How many of us go to church and sit there and don't always agree with the pastor? Did you leave? Obama chose this church for their outstanding outreach to the poor. I think that is what people need to consider when they compare Obama & Clinton. What has she done as far as reaching out to the needed of our country?
    The media needs to cover what the candidates are standing for.not sling dirt! I haven't seen an media show the outrageous comments of McCain's pastor.
    We need a president who has the forsight to try to bring this country together again. If we don't all work together then we will only see more and more problems – like we don't have enough due to the Republicans! So, when you go to vote, forget your racist thoughts and vote for the person who can really lead this country with a true desire to come together and work with all people.

April 30, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  22. Polly

Do you guys have anything else to report on besides the "Reverend Wright" ? Are you trying to secure your bonuses for the year? Enough already!

April 30, 2008 at 11:32 pm |
  23. Bobbie Cayce

I just loved her. This is the first time I've heard Michelle speak at length.
    I am an Independant that in 04 was caring for my dear late friend Rose, 95. A Democrate through and through. I remember discussing Barack Obama with her the morning after his keynote speech. She had stayed awake for part of the speech. I told her how inspiring this young black man was and that I had a gut feeling that he was someone very special. I wish she had lived long enough to see this race. Perhaps she is watching. To see both a woman and a person of color running for President. Wow. This is historical. But back to the question.
    Barack and Michelle are shineing stars and examples.

April 30, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  24. Amos Zezmer

What was Caroline Kennedy doing at the interview? Perhaps Michelle should have also asked one of MLK Jr.'s children to sit beside her? As President Truman said, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!"

April 30, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  25. blacknwhite

Pastors are men, they are not without sin. Your husbands have inappropiate conversations, look at websites they should not be on and check out women and you claim to know your pastors when you don't even know what your own husbands and children are doing. Give me a break. So what if he knew that his pastor had a tendency of speaking his mind. Isn't that what you are doing right now? Aren't you really a racist and looking for a polite way to get your point across without coming off like you can't stand the thought of a black man being the President of this country. Who are you to judge? Hillary is not closing the gap because she is the better candidate, she is playing high school games by spreading and over exaggerating lies. This is the person that you want going to countries in the Middle East where women are not respected? How well do you think her aggressive attack will go over there? She is no diplomat, she is a attack dog and that is not the personality that should be running this country. I am all for women in power but her tactics will force the worse out of our foreign friends and foes.

April 30, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  26. Latonya from NC

Michelle is eloquent and strong. As an African American I am proud of this couple. Our African American youth need role models like this. They are family oriented and they are smart. I am proud that our youth will have examples such as this, examples that say you can get far in life because of your brains and your convictions and not all BLACK MEN are in jail. BRAVO, OBAMAS.

April 30, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  27. ad

I can't help thinking of the saying "Beware a sheep in wolves clothing" when I see Obama. He is not what he appears. He's very guarded with his words and when prompted at the air strip about Wright, he never once, looked directly into the camera. This man is not spontaneous, he's very deliberate so it seems odd that after a 20 year relationship with Wright, he would not know how the man really thinks. He even carries some of the arrogance displayed by Wright (Remember his speech about brushing the comments off his shoulder?) That was like a page out what we saw when Wright was bouncing around on stage acting a fool. I resent that fact that now just less than one week before two important and defining primaries, Barack and Michelle are getting all this free air time. I've yet to see any free press time of this length given to the Clinton.

Further, if this was not a racially motivated election before, it certainly is one now.

April 30, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  28. sylvia

Do you leave the church because the minister says things you disagree with? WHO ARE YOU THERE TO WORSHIP? THE MINISTER OR GOD? For those of you who would leave, would you move your membership each time you disagree with the minister? Again, who are you following? As my grandma use to say, "Preachers come and go, I was here when they came, and I'll be here when they leave."

Michelle Obama spoke very well tonight. I also listened to Hillary's answers to O'Reilly's questions and I was disappointed. Her answers were the answers you give to get votes. Hillary can do better.

Americans we need change! We continue to fall into the same old same old and we will get the same old same old.

April 30, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  29. jim

you have a woman that just got proud America i was waiting for violins to come out and the crying to come out i think she wears the pants in the family any way

April 30, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  30. Dellareesa

Wow!!!!!!!!! Awesome Woman. I would be proud to say she is my first lady. She is strong, poised, most of all intelligent and can handle the press. We love you Obama, Michelle and the girls. I am keeping HOPE alive. Michelle and Obama you inspire me not just with words but, you actions are pure to my heart.

Dellareesa,
    Georgia

April 30, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  31. Sheree

She didnt change my view on her husband. If Obama wins, I'm voting for McCain

April 30, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  32. chris

Come on, get over it, move on.
    Rev. Wright is done, there are other issues, bigger issues by far.
    For instance, there were more Iraqi civilians and American soldiers killed during April than during any other month since August and September respectively!
    Isn't that important?
    How about gas prices, jobs, consumer confidence, health care, torture etc. etc. etc.
    Come on, be responsible, cut it out.

April 30, 2008 at 11:21 pm |
  33. Dusty

I wish they would ask policy issues. Lets talk about issues that are important and matter to the people of the United State.
    What Rev. Wright says has nothing to do with the integrity of Michelle or Barack.
    I hate the media and how they play these issues up.

I think Rev. Wright is on the payroll of the Clinton campaign. Ha

At this point Clinton is only trying to sabotage Obama so McCain wins and she can run for the Democratic Nomination sooner.

April 30, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  34. Keith in Pennsylvania

Many people on this blog appear to have a lot of contempt for Obama and its very disapointing. If they had found themselves in simular situations, they would expect others to be totally understanding. Some of what I consider to be their unwarranted anger towards Obama is just plain pathetic. If you were to be judged by a person you only had an association with as a member of a large congregation, and people began to blame you for the actions of others.... This like being a member of a Catholic church, having the priest found to be a pedofile and the media running stories saying that all the members of the congregation are pedofiles and other horrible things. I think part of the dispise some bloggers have towards Obama is that deep down they like him but are afraid to admitt it. After all, Barak and Michelle have shown themselves to be people of class and character.

April 30, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  35. DeeDee

I am watching Campbell Brown tonight. And, I am surprised by her attitude. Every time she had to speak about Hilliary Clinton, her voice reflects a negative tone.
    RE: Michelle Obama. My question is: how could she subject herself and her children to 20 years of listening to Wright's Sermons that obviously had not only hatred in them, but were unpatriotic to AMERICA. I could never vote for Obama, who was also groomed in this environment.
    Wright said that Obama had to speak politically or he would not be elected. And that what he spoke was not what he believed.
    MICHELLE, could not convince me that she loves this country for its historic relevance.
    Susannze was a great interviewer....but Michelle body language spoke of her own defensiveness and her evasiveness to answering the questions. And Caroline Kennedy adds nothing.

April 30, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  36. Sol. H.

Ebknows, it was Bubba Clinton who passed NAFTA, not Obama. Think about it!

April 30, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  37. Anne

Yup ... another wasted moment with two extra-ordinary women! Malveaux had both Michelle Obama and Caroline Kennedy in the same room with an amazing opportunity for a really really profound interview! She blew it! It was barely interesting with misplaced emphasis on a Pastor who is not running for office. As Mrs. Obama so nicely requested ... Move Forward!!!! And please have a back-up of intelligent questions when the dumb ones are not working!

April 30, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  38. jana brown

Hi everyone, I do believe that this "Rev. Wright thing" is relevant to the campaign. Obama is a candidate with very little experience, and wants us to vote for him based on his judgment. I am, now, very uneasy about his judgment. I feel that my intelligence is insulted by asking me to believe that he sat in that church for 20 years, and didn't know about the doctrines of the preacher. Michelle says that they just want to put this behind them. The problem is that a lot of us Democrats would like to vote for Obama, if he is the Democratic nominee. I won't be able to until I hear,from Obama, a better explanation than "I didn't hear these comments".

April 30, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  39. Kasha

The American people will all be able to move beyond the Rev Wright issue IF the American media stop making a spectacle of themselves by trying to make it news.

You had a wonderful opportunity to really speak with Michelle Obama, who is an amazingly intelligent and insightful woman, about the issues that matter to all Americanss, but you just could not help yourselves and had to try to dig for anything you could on Rev Wright and the very PERSONAL struggle the Obama family has had to endure.

Thankfully Michelle did a wondeful job at shutting you down on your useless questions.

Move on – America is ready to, but the media just sees dollars and ratings and you think you have to shove this in America's face every minute.

Doubt you will publish this one.

April 30, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  40. Bonnie

Interview was excellent. What a gracious, poised lady. Hillary could take a few lessons from Michelle on class! Anyone who cannot yet see the honesty and commitment of the Obamas needs to read Senator Obama's books.

April 30, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  41. mlw53

Michelle & Barack Obama made a big mistake staying with Rev Wright 20yrs ago. I don't believe any of this hype about Barack distantsing himself from Wright. This is just POLITICS, he had to do something. JUST WORDS JUST WORDS. Brarack Obama will NOT win the democratic nomination. Its not just the Wright issue, he is not ready. Come back in 4 or 8 yrs. Then we will see if he distant himself from Wright & maybe he will be ready by then. He doesn't have the fight in him like Hilliary. We need someone strong & someone with more experience in the White House.

April 30, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  42. Denise

Personally I think the Michelle has handled this situation in a very dignified way. She would make a excellant 1st Lady....someone poised, intellegent, strong, who puts her family above the typical Washington game of politics. She is always uplifting to her spouse and not someone who wants to control and be more well known and established than her husband. A strong and dedicated woman, wife and mother is what our country needs to uplift and inspire our country.... not someone controlling and bickering over who was the best president! Looking back at the greatest 1st Ladies...they always protected their familes not feed them to the political wolves, or attempt to over shadow the good their husbands did. Each incredible 1st Lady (Jackie O. and Eleanor Roosevelt) inspired our nation by their presence, loyality, kindness and sense of family value which gained them the respect and admiration of our nation. Go Obama Go!

April 30, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  43. gerry

Why does CNN run in two different 360 shows the same portrait of Mrs. Obama ? Because you are so Obama-biased. You could have used that time to report on Senator Clinton. That would have made your show somewhat more balanced !

April 30, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  44. Al, Windsor, Ontario

It was nice to see an unbiased AC360, 45 minute Obama cheerleading interviews. Way to go Anderson, another example of CNN bias. You can be proud.

April 30, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  45. Mary

Are we now going to spend the remainder of this election wondering what Obama will do if Rev, Wright speaks out again? Oh, yes isn't it wonderful that Obama looked human yesterday when he dismissed Rev. Wright! Must Obama also have to produce his DNA map to be accorded the rank of being human? Should he cry like Hillary? What's wrong with all of you?

April 30, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  46. Gioachino Andreozzi

I think about Minister Wright's comment on damning America and I think back to Michelle Obama's comment about being proud to be an American for the first time and I wonder if minister J. Wright's sermons are responslble for her thinking that way.

April 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  47. Sue R

I'd like to know if Michelle Obama was proud of her husband when he became a senator. Was she not proud of the people in Illinois when they elected him?

How could she have said this was the first time she was proud of Americans...in this run for the Presidency?

I would not vote for him, and my first reason would be he's married to her. I don't want HER in the White House.

April 30, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  48. mark

I thought that the Obama headquarters and Mr. Obama himself putting everyone down......It seems to me that he has recieved hundred of millions of dollars and he thinks that no one matters ..... he has his own sceldule and nothing else matters. He is the one raising the race card and everyone is for that???? What is wrong with this picture.IS AMERICA THAT STUPID?

April 30, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  49. Ijane

What can Michelle Obama possibly have to say about Wright? Have you read her Princeton thesis paper? Michelle and Wright are two separatists in a pod! Good grief!

April 30, 2008 at 9:01 pm |
  50. ebknows

So what values will Obama embark on now? He apparently abandoned the last 20years of faith, and for his family too I assume. How can the White House be run this way? Isn't Obama just saying this to us to sound good, but behind our backs, like NAFTA, he's saying 'oh don't worry, I don't mean it'...hmmm

April 30, 2008 at 8:59 pm |