April 30th, 2008

360° Interview with Michelle Obama on Wright controversy

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/30/art.michelleobama.jpg%5D
Hey Bloggers,

Just wanted to let you guys know about our program tonight:

AC360° will have the first primetime sit-down interview with Michelle Obama, wife of Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.

We’ll talk about how the re-ignited Rev. Jeremiah Wright controversy is affecting the family, her husband's campaign, and everything in between….

Join us tonight at 10p ET for the 360° interview

1. Lisa

Will you guys PLEASE tell me what is so admirable and great about Michelle Obama? I read her much-talked about thesis (not real well written, but complaining about her Ivy League education), watched her walk all over her tongue with her comments, and have not seen any warmth come out of her. Please tell me what "great" things she has done and how you reach the conclusion that she will be a great first lady...I really want to know.

April 30, 2008 at 7:06 pm |
  2. Selina

Michelle Obama is fabulous-she will do great tonight on the show!!! Judge the Obama's on their values NOT on their associations!!!! Barack Obama for U.S. President!!!

April 30, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  3. LindaJ

"… for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country..."
    Michelle Obama: 2/18/08

Haven't we heard enough from this woman?

April 30, 2008 at 7:04 pm |
  4. Barbara Smith

The media is putting too much on this. I keep hearing: " Obama has been a member of Wright's church for 20 years, I can't see how he didn't know his views." That is absurd!

First of all Church and politics are not suppose to mix. I've been a member of my church for 30 years and I do not know the political views of my Pastor. I've babysatt his grandchildren, my family vacationed with he and his family. I've housesat while he has been on vacation & we've had dinner together at each other's homes. My entire family was baptized, married, or eulogized by my Pastor. I was his secretary for many years and never has our political point of view been a topic.

Obama should not be held accountable for what Wright has said. He has distanced himself from Wright and that should be the end of it.

April 30, 2008 at 7:03 pm |
  5. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

All of CNN's kings horses and all the king's cheerleading men couldn't put Obama back together again....

April 30, 2008 at 7:03 pm |
  6. Gina

TESAP – She's talking about Rev. Wright b/c the Obama campaign doesn't want her to talk about anything else. She doesn't exactly have a great record on interaction with the public.

April 30, 2008 at 7:01 pm |
  7. Cheryl R.

Sorry, the Barack Obama advisors didn't see this coming and if Barack was in office, his judgement is evident, from the decisions he made "bitter...clinging" comments, took his name off of the ballot in Michigan, side with Rev Wright knowing full well he was volatile personality. Does it take someone to tell him to be unhappy. The world is looking at this candidate and I see question marks.

April 30, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  8. Ruby Coria, LA., CA.

360* it looks like it's already getting heated up on the blogs.. can't wait to see and hear what Ms. Obama wants us to see and hear..AC. see you and Erica* tonight.

April 30, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  9. Bob

As I am reading through all these messages, I can't believe some people are saying that what Obama does in the past matter. It is like saying History doesn't matter. Obama's past actions reveal his character of who he is and what he believes in. Obama keep talking about Change and how he will transcend America. I have not heard any details on how he is going get that done. Initially, I gave Obama the benefit of the doubt that he could change America and he just needed some time to put a plan together. As his campaign progresses, I can see that there isn't any details behind it. At this point, I think that he is just a slick talker who would say anything that benefit him. Maybe Michelle Obama is right, she is now proud to be an American because her husband is running for president. Otherwise, she believes every word that Wright has preach in the past.

April 30, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  10. Lisa - Ft. Lauderdale

For the first time in her adult life, Michelle Obama is NOT really proud of Rev Wright (because he called Obama a "say anything" politician) – Obama says anyone who knows him knows that Obama is about – well, Wright knew Obama for almost 20 years – I guess he knows...

April 30, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  11. Conchita Vecchio

@ Christina:

"If you don’t like Michelle Obama, you must be racist. There’s nothing bad about her. It’s unfortunate that they have to answer to Wright’s comments but much of what he says is also the truth"

Let me put it to you this way...I'm a life long Democrat but if the race hypothetically came down to Obama and Condi Rice I'd vote for Rice in a heartbeat. She is far more cultured and knowledgeable than the Obamas combined, is a low-key, tireless worker and does not have the sense of entitlement the Obamas have. Though she's at a complete 180 from my political views, I've loads of respect for her because she has truly earned the position she is in today.

April 30, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  12. Larry Ikon (Atlanta)

This is senseless! Who has not sat through a sermon that did not have some element that made them uneasy? You don't leave the Church! You wait for another Sunday when the sermon is more of what you want to hear! What we are making Obama do to Rev. Wright is far worse than anything Rev. Wright may have said!!!!! Wake up people!

April 30, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  13. Alan H, Des Moines IA

The Obama's must distance themselves from Wright out of pure necessity. Barack Obama realizes that most Americans can't look deeply at themselves enough to realize that Wright's perspective is justified, and material for civilized discussion. However, Obama must play the game in order to win. And part of that game involves not offending Americans who can't understanding anything beyond the sound bite, but really do need help, and the kind of "healing" that he can bring to the US and abroad.

April 30, 2008 at 6:52 pm |
  14. Nicole

First of all, the Obamas are like fresh air to politics. Wish everyone could get theri math straight. He joined the church in 1992. Last time I counted 2008 -1992 = 16 years. He met Rev Wright 20 years ago but didn't immediately join the church so he wasn't sitting in the pews for 20 years. secondly pastors discuss many topics in the pew. the republicans are assuming that every Sunday Rev Wright said those few sound bites, and that every Sunday Obama was sitting there. Wake up, Rev Wright is the only ammunition the Republicans have and that means Obama must have a clean record!!

April 30, 2008 at 6:52 pm |
  15. Jean

I dont know how can Balack share with R.Wright the same idea. This guy is totatly innocent and he deserve a break. He explained enough where he stand, and I dont how many explainations some people want from him. Lets Fox News keep playing this crips and move on to the imporatant issues.

April 30, 2008 at 6:51 pm |
  16. Pam (Lawrenceville, GA)

First I want to say, we can display all types of dissapprovements when it comes to our self. But when we are wrong we want everybody involved to forgive and forget. We keep forgetting one very important issue. Obama can't control other people, I repeat, Obama can't control other people mouth. What they say is completely there choice. We divide ourselfs with politics and all of this other bab behavior that we want to display. It's very hard for american people to unite and come together. That's why Bush was able to so much damaged. Because we (Americans) love to critize each other and find fault. Rev Wright is truly hard when it comes to racial remarks. So God will hold him responsible for that. Obama and his wife Michelle are human and what someone does now oppsed to what they do years agao. Is completely different. We can only be responsible for our selfs.

April 30, 2008 at 6:51 pm |
  17. theresa denton

I think this will be a good program, as long as the narcisstic media don't try to spin it or make it their agenda!! I think after this interview with Ms. Obama and the last press conference Sen. Obama gave, ENOUGH ALREADY, damn it is getting really really old. Folks are wanting to know about how Sen. Obama is going to help us with gas, economy, folks losing their jobs, the war, etc, again and again and again reinterated over and over again– we don't give a damn about Rev. Wright, what he said, says, did or does, they are 2 separate people. Sen. Obama just stated he was not the man he had come to know over 20 years, so we don't know anything 100% of what was preached and heard in that church and as I said, WE DON'T CARE!
    Obama is a man of extreme brillance, intelligence and wisdom with respect, dignity, humility and humbleness, that is what I and others judge Sen. Obama on.

April 30, 2008 at 6:51 pm |
  18. Charles, Greenville, SC

I wonder how far we are going to go with this? Maybe we should do background checks on every candidate's Pastor, Priest, Imam, or Rabi before they can meet the qualification to run for president? We certainly have a basis now that everyone is making such a big deal over Obama's former pastor.

April 30, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  19. Karen, Leesburg VA

I hope when you interview Michelle Obama she has a chance to explain how personally painful it must have been for Barak to have to make such a dramatic break with his pastor. It is central to Christian teaching that we be “slow to anger,” to not pay back evil with evil, but to do our best to “live in peace with everyone.”

When Barak Obama delayed his response the until he had completely heard and seen what Rev. Wright said for himself, Obama was not only demonstrating a “Christian Character,” but sound leadership. Barak Obama may not have done everything right, but this was a still good illustration of “Grace under fire.” No imaginary snipers here!

We also need to realize that the fallout from the breakdown of the relationship between these two men is not limited to the political realm. It might be suggested that these men were baited into a high stakes game of “Let’s you and him fight.” Unfortunately, Rev. Wright took the bait hook, line, and sinker. Pastors are far from perfect, but if the relationship with yours falls apart, it wounds you deeply.

Further, have we become so unfamiliar with church-life in this country that we cannot appreciate how hurtful and damaging this quarrel could be to the faith community at Trinity United Church of Christ? Whole congregations have been ripped apart by far less public disagreements. Christians often remind each other that “our struggles are not with flesh and blood,” that we do have “an enemy” purposed to “lie and steal and kill and destroy” any good the Church might do.

If Rev.Wright truly loves his “flock,” the very least he will do is to keep his own counsel or better still work quietly within the framework established in the New Testament to be reconciled to his “brother.” If Peter and Paul could quarrel and make peace with each other, so can Barak and Jeremiah. However, Jeremiah Wright needs to give up the idea that Americans will see him as a good choice for leading anybody’s Presidential Prayer breakfast.

April 30, 2008 at 6:41 pm |
  20. Kimberly

While I don't agree with the whole rev.wright thing.We all know the media isn't going to let this die.Their stuck to to it like fly's to .....!
    My whole question is this. Is this all anyone can come up with on Obama? THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST? You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Heck thats nothing compared to the stuff Hillary and Bill have been involved in and yes even Macain. But yet we hear nothing of their real shady dealings. It makes wonder how honest and fair the media really is. The Clintons have been involved with alot more shady people than rev.wright. Heck Bill even had the The Rev. come to the White House to pray with him when he got caught cheating for the hundredth time. Keeping them honest uh? Who's keeping the media honest.

April 30, 2008 at 6:41 pm |
  21. Amber

Wow, amazing that a lot of these bloggers rip CNN & 360 apart on here. If it's such a bad show with biased reporting why are you watching it? Why take time out of your day to blog?

I still haven't figured out what Barrack Obama believes in. He says he is a christian and distanced himself from Wright's comments. That still doesn't tell me who he is. Perhaps his wife could give better insight into who Obama really is and what he believes in.
    If it's the same old "change, we're about change" spiel I'll be turning her off.
    P.S. Perhaps 360 could get someone besides Roland Martin to be the Obama supporter on your panel for a while. Roland seems to be a spinner...every night his comments for Wright/Obama are always geared toward vote Obama twisting or disregarding facts as necessary.

April 30, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  22. Yvonne

What the news media is engaging in is what Chief Justice Clarence Thomas once called a " High Tech Lynching"

It sickened me to my stomach to know that Barack was forced AGAIN to denounce his pastor... a good man who served his country and continues to make his community a better place. For those of us who are Belivers, we know if God has ordained Barack to be our next President, no devil in hell can stop it.

Oh, by the way.. why don't Catholics leave the Roman Catholic Church because of the number of priests who engage in Pedophilia?

Let those who have no sin cast the first stone.......

April 30, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  23. Melanie

Danielle you are an idiot and racist – get a life!!! You wish you were like Michelle Obama – stop HATING!!!!!

April 30, 2008 at 6:26 pm |
  24. Katye Williams

Michelle Obama is a "Strong Woman" and I have great admiration for both she and the next President of the United States, Sen. Barack Obama. Let all of the Jeremiah Wrights of the world be condem by the words of their own mouth and I pray the the "Peace of God" and the "Wisdom of God" continue to lead you as you enter the Oval Office.
    I strongly believe that you will be the next president and despite all of the traps, schemes by Hillary & Bill Clinton, Jeremiah Wright, Sean Hannity and all of the Rush Limbaughs of the world, all of the Charlie Gibsons and the George Stephalopolis of the world,
    Because "If God be for you, he is more that the World Against You!.
    Go Barack and Michelle Obama, you have made us proud!......

April 30, 2008 at 6:26 pm |
  25. Laura

I can't wait for Mrs. Obama speak again. What she stands for comes right out her mouth. And the truth will prevail!!! Yes, MIchelle, keep talking, but this time tell the truth, not just what people want to hear.

April 30, 2008 at 6:20 pm |
  26. Raaj Parekh

It is time American realize that Obama has passed the Wright TEST with flying colors. He did not disown Wright in March just as most opportunists would have done in similar situations.

There is a lot of negativity, anger and frustration that we see among the people around us. You do-not abandon people when you hit the crisis.

REPLACE can not substitute for CHANGE. He will bring about the CHANGE that he talks about. He will be one of greatest STATEMANs that will define the high standards in public life and politics in the 21st century.

April 30, 2008 at 6:17 pm |
  27. CH, New York

Nice points C.E. Adkins. You are right on the money with what you outlined. The issue here is that Obama changed his view of Rev Wright because he saw the impact it had on this campaign! Everyone was giving him advise on how to fix the problem. They were saying that in order to save his political career he needed to get MAD, DENOUNCE the Rev Wright!!! That is exact what he did! Not because he wanted to do it, because those that contributed to his campaign told him YOU BETTER DO IT! His wife is the same. They sat listening to the Rev 20 years and now say you NEVER, NEVER KNEW WHAT HE WAS ALL ABOUT. Ms Obama, " for the first time in my life I'm proud of America"! These things say it all!!!!!!

April 30, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  28. Lance

It’s over! Both Clinton & Obama need just relax now for the rest of the primary season and the general election for they have both handed the election to John McSame. The really tragic thing is that both would have made an excellent President.

April 30, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  29. Jan from Wood Dale IL

A few short weeks ago, Sen. Obama gave an eloquent speech on race. During that speech didn't Obama tell us we need to understand where Rev. Wright is coming from? Wasn't it Obama who said he could no more disown Rev. Wright than he could disown the black community?

Are we now to believe Rev. Wright is somebody different than the man Obama asked us to "understand"? Or since Obama has now "disowned" Rev. Wright, is he disowning the black community?

Senator Obama is sending out conflicting messages. I wonder if Michelle can justify these conflicting messages, since her husband has not.

April 30, 2008 at 6:14 pm |
  30. Peymon Gorkani

It should be interesting.
    When I saw Rev Wright speech on Sunday on CNN , I was fine with it.
    But on Monday I saw a different person than on Sunday .
    A man of God as he claims to be should stand above all things and teach forgiveness and be a mentor to others. Not to be revengeful .

What ever credit I was going to give him on Sunday , he Rev Wright lost it on Monday.
    I was Obama supporter before and still support him, Nothing has changed.
    Peymon Gorkani

April 30, 2008 at 6:14 pm |
  31. Christy

I am voting for Hillary. She can turn the economy around just like her husband did. He did a GREAT job of it! I trust and feel familiar with the Clintons. She hasn't dragged the country into a destructive fight about gender because of some crazy pastor. Even though women are still beaten, raped and murdered EVERY day because of their gender. Women experience more violence than black men today, but we aren't alienating people because of it. Women didn't have equal rights, and only were able to vote after Black men. Yet Obama and his repulsive wife can't be proud of America unless HE wins the election.

April 30, 2008 at 6:13 pm |
  32. stone

Neither Obama belongs in the white house. He does not have enough experience and she id "finally" proud to be an American.

April 30, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  33. Chris, Boston, MA

CNN is biased against Obama and want him out of the race, till you guys accomplish that, you will not rest
    As far as your interview with Michelle Obama, looking forward to seeing it. I'm a Christian and have been for over 30 years, been to white, black, asian churches, I have heard all of them say that the US stands condemned for its's past mistakes, just tune to TBN and you will get enough of it every single day. It really saddens me that you guys are not fair. Please right your wrong

April 30, 2008 at 6:07 pm |
  34. Juan

I thank God that rev. wright has done a good service to God and man before his discourse.

April 30, 2008 at 6:07 pm |
  35. Shamara

Michelle, be careful the media can break you or make you. One wrong word and it will be spun every minute of the day. Please help your husband. I am voting for him.

Some of you ppl are so negative to Obama for something that he did not say out of his own mouth but, Helery say she was under sniper bullets which she lied but yet still you all are voting for her and she claimed that she miss spoke. The media is hurting Barack because they will not let this Mr. Wright thing rest. This man feels tha he is a Celeb.

Obama all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

April 30, 2008 at 6:03 pm |
  36. joseph p. casey

Big Deal, she's another left wing racist completely out of touch with Americans.

April 30, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  37. De'Borah Mozelle

Hope Obama hope, Anderson like most of us, we have just learned alot about politics. I don't learn THIS in school! Obama campaign makes me feel like I would have lived during the civil rights movements ( A CALL TO ACTION) and JFK times. So I hope that your CNN viewers will understand when I say: We need this change. We meaning eveyone in this country call the United States of America. Shaaaa!!!! You will hear this country crying out for H O P E. Hope Obama hope!!!!
    I have not done eveything for 20 years. So my hat goes off to the Obama family. To you I pray, Keep looking good, feeling good and smelling good. And that is what we want in our President. So Anderson keep covering the issues of this campaign. We love it.

April 30, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  38. Beverly, Virginia

Great, she is truly a beautiful woman, Barack is a lucky man. You know it is pretty funny. Think about it, this is the ONLY thing the media can report negative on Barack Obama, they have nothing else. They are going to beat this into the ground because there is nothing else. Rev. Wright is just a pastor and not running for the White House. Nobody can control his mouth. Senator Obama will be a great leader with great judgment and will bring this country together. You folks are too funny, how can he be a racist when his mother was white and he was raised by his white grandparents. LOL He is our first bi-racial candidate who truly represents all of us. His family is a rainbow of colors and nationalties.

OBAMA 2008!

April 30, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  39. Pilar

I am in agreement with Lance..... and may I suggest that you ask MRs.Obama if she is for the first time "PROUD TO BE A CHRISTIAN – OR NOT"....It seems that these two (Mr&Mrs Obama) are making-it-up as they go along. At least with the other two (Mr & Mrs Clinton) we know where they have been and where they want to go; thank god Hilary is tougher that Rocky Balboa – or Rocky 1 thru 10.......

April 30, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  40. Sue

I agree with Dennis who posted the following:"Many ask the question as to why Obama stayed at Trinity all those years. The answer is simple. Wright preached christian based sermons 99.9% of the time that’s why. What we got from reverend Wright over the past weekend was the greatest hits of his thoughts over a 40 plus year span. If he was saying this stuff every Sunday don’t you think we would have more footage. Afterall the church’s service is broadcast on TV and the internet. Where’s all the footage of this so called raving lunatic? I bet after 9/11 there were a lot of sermons in tuned with Wright’s perspective in white and black churches. I wonder if any video surfaces from some of those."

Please, enough of this and get to real issues: economy, health care, gas prices. Obama has my vote. I'm sorry the media won't let the preacher issue go. If a candidate's church relationship is so important, then Hillary and McCain need to be scrutinized too.

Michelle, I hope you knock it out of the park tonight–but someone will surely find fault with what you have to say.

April 30, 2008 at 5:59 pm |
  41. Lorrie Wood

I'm appalled that Senator Obama only denounced Rev. Wright when it seemed to be hurtful to his campaign. Where was Obama's denouncement when Rev. Wright's comments were hurtful to millions of Americans a long while back? Even Hillary said Wright would not be her pastor straight up. This whole incident proves Obama will only denounce in his best interest not in Americans' best interest!

April 30, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  42. Lisa

I belive Rev. Wright is a very good man and Obama Family let the mess go people.

April 30, 2008 at 5:56 pm |
  43. Mr. Williams

It's amazing how CNN is so PRO OBAMA....... You all have given him such great coverage and you continue to give him the opportunity to explain himself....... At least you can hold your heads high when he looses and say "WE TRIED TO HELP HIM WIN"....... The networks coverage of this primary has been so ONE sided...... I would like to see you stop giving Obama so much FREE press..... can we talk about something else....... I don't care what Michelle has to say regarding Rev Wright. I ask anyone, if we discovered that Mccain or Clinton were members of the KKK for 20 years but they then say they had no idea of the philosophy that was exposed by the leader what would we all say about that? The only story here for me is that i find Obama to lack honesty. I find it amazing how he only now attempts to disown Rev Wright..... Maybe it shows that Obama will actually say and do anything to get elected. When he was in Chicago running for Senate being a member of Rev Wright's church was a GOOD thing.... necessary even, to appease his base... Now he's in a General election and Rev Wright is a bad thing...... Will the real Barack Obama please stand up!!!!

April 30, 2008 at 5:54 pm |
  44. Larry

Who knows, perhaps someday she'll have her own Bosnian-sniper story. Ya vote for the man/ woman ya gotta take the baggage that goes with him/her.

April 30, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  45. Ray Robinson

Why is she doing this??? Leave the subject alone! Her husband said what he had to say. Let's move on...

April 30, 2008 at 5:53 pm |
  46. Lisa

Let's all deal with the issues:

Jobs
    War
    Outsourcing etc...

Love is the key!

April 30, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  47. Debbie

I will never forgive the media for the totaly lopsided coverage initially given in this campaign. Obama was treated like a rock star and Hilliary was not given a grain of credit for anything. I just hope theres enough time for her to still win this thing. I do feel badIy for Obama now for it is very disturbing that one individual like Rev. Wright can cause so much distruction in a political campaign. I would prabably pick Obama over Hillary to spend a leizure weekend with -but when it comes to the White House I will take Hilliary hands down. I believe she will fight as hard in the white house as she has in this campaign .
    She is strong, intelligent and determined to make the changes we need.

April 30, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  48. John

Anderson why don't you stop asking stupid questions about things that people dont really care about? Why is every media station covering a story about a guy who wants to throw wrenches in the Obama campaign. Why dont you ask important question? i.e. about our economy, our justice system, opec and high gas prices, and if you really want to ask questions about Wright, why dont you investigate who gave him money to make those public apperences... my guess is the Clinton Campaign!

April 30, 2008 at 5:51 pm |
  49. Darcy

I'm just looking forward to listening to a sane, intelligent and honest woman for a change....it will be a breath of fresh air.

April 30, 2008 at 5:50 pm |
  50. Sarah

GOOD GRIEF GUYS!!!!!!!!

No more Obama/Wright. Christiane Amanpour is in Sarejevo talking about the happenings over there, why not have her file a report on WORLD news! Please. I am so sick of Obama and his pastor. Let the story go.....use some integrity.

April 30, 2008 at 5:50 pm |