April 30th, 2008

360° Interview with Michelle Obama on Wright controversy

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/30/art.michelleobama.jpg%5D
Hey Bloggers,

Just wanted to let you guys know about our program tonight:

AC360° will have the first primetime sit-down interview with Michelle Obama, wife of Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.

We’ll talk about how the re-ignited Rev. Jeremiah Wright controversy is affecting the family, her husband's campaign, and everything in between….

Join us tonight at 10p ET for the 360° interview

1. ML.Holmes

Senator and Michelle Obama should have known their past and close associates would be scrutized during this campaign. Both will say or do aything to gain the favor of the voters, even act outright stupid. And there are supporters who would vote for him regardless of what truths reveal.
    He does not convey honesty, good judgment or necessary experience. He is an insult to the Democratic Party and American voters. He should go bqck to South Chicago and fulfill the previous promises he has made to voters in his district.

April 30, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  2. Lisa

We all need to stop and think about what we are teaching our children. We have to live in this world together and get along.

I do believe to my heart that God created us all equal.

We all must leave here someday and be held accountable for our thoughts and words. We can't ever forget the past but we must forgive in order to move forward and see heaven someday if we belive. As a people let all this mess go and deal with the real issues.

When you love somebody whether family or not it is very difficult to dismiss that love. We should just think about our ugly thoughts, and words, remember we have children watching everything we do.

Waxahachie, TX

April 30, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  3. Carol

All of a sudden Michele Obama will be the greatest first lady. ..Highly intelligent in a graceful and dignified way, than Hilary.
    My question is: Do you know Michele Obama? Who after all these years....is now proud to be an American!!! I guess she was ashamed to be an American when she was growing up. Take a good look people. When you want to talk about , DIGNITY, talk about Hilary Rodham Clinton and I could go on and on. Class, Gracious, and tough no matter what the situation . She may slip at times ,
    but always get up and continue on her campaign trail .Wake up people before you all live to regret it. HILARY CLINTON WILL BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA..

April 30, 2008 at 5:47 pm |
  4. Christina

If you don't like Michelle Obama, you must be racist. There's nothing bad about her. It's unfortunate that they have to answer to Wright's comments but much of what he says is also the truth.

April 30, 2008 at 5:46 pm |
  5. Jean

Jeff,
    I would rather have a president like Senator Obama ANYDAY, at least I know that he won't sell me out to the highest bidder!!

April 30, 2008 at 5:45 pm |
  6. Cheryll

Do you know what really kills me in all of this is that no one has brought the tapes of his 20 years sermons so we can see if he sat through hate sermons, until you do that , MOVE ON!. Also I have been going to church all my life and my white preacher who I love sometimes says things that make you go ouch! But IF I heard this hate sermons Sunday after Sunday I would leave, but that is a big IF because none of us knows what he preached for 20 years. Oprah use to go there and she is the biggest lover of white people I know. There were whites that went there, has anyone sought them out or the Hispanics? No and why is that because then the lunch bucket, uneducated mentality people would have nothing to crucify this man with. Please surely there are more intelligent people out there then this crew of Clinton Supporters. Hear me now, be very careful about whose side you are on because there are some serious skeletons in Clintons closets that are about to come out very soon.

What kills me is that we say how could he sit there for 20 years and listen to that hate, well first you have to find out what kind of church goer was he. Second he could sit there just like the catholics sat there while their priest molested boys and girls. He sat that just like Mitt Romeny who comes from a religion that says being black is the curse of Cain and if you touch us you will be black and cursed. We won't get on Clinton's pastor.

How about this concept how about talking about the issues of how America is going to get back to being the super power it use to be because if we don't then we are going to continue to go down and China will be the next super power.

I won't go there with McCain. Except to say that everyone in Camp Clinton is acting like this man will be so tough to beat. Are you serious? The only way he can win is if Clinton keeps dividing the democrat party and crucifying Obama, it is not smart and it is not what being a strong woman is about. She is acting like the GOOD OLE BOYS!

April 30, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  7. Juan

What happens when you have a Reverend who has sought God but, opposes to show the character of God (Who is Love) because of his own personal ambitions and peddling of the word of God?
    Answer: A blind man leading the blind who cannot see the destiny of true unity of all mankind as God Himself would have it to be.
    Rev. Wrights leadership abilities are obviously disqualified and retired in the eyes of God's sight on the fact that he is no longer able to make peace with all men and walk in unconditional love as God has commanded us all. What we have witness from Reverend Wright is not Godly lead but godly (selfishly) mislead. What Wright needs to do is Wrightly retire and stop opposing the course of peace and unity.

April 30, 2008 at 5:43 pm |
  8. Michael

To Danielle April 30th, 2008 11:16 am ET:

How in the world can you say that a man accused of going to the wrong Christian church for 20 years is a muslim? Have you not been watching the news lately?

To those who say, "Obama is lying when he says that Reverend Wright is a different man today than he was when Obama attended his church.":

Please watch AC360 reruns from the last night. Many friends and associates of Wright have expressed to Roland how stunned they were at Wright's behavior at the Press Conference. Its not just Obama who says Wright is behaving differently, Wright's closest friends are saying the same thing. Let's be careful about calling Obama a hypocrite when there's strong evidence that he's actually telling the truth.

April 30, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  9. Ann

Michelle Obama – First Lady – I think not.

First off lets go back to the proud of my country statement, I am 51 years old and have always been proud of my country regardless of good, bad, happy or sad.

And secondly this woman always looks like she has a chip on her shoulder about something. Sorry Mrs. Obama but my vote must go to Hillary Clinton.

Best of luck and a well fought race.

April 30, 2008 at 5:42 pm |
  10. RuDee

To all you naysayers out there. I have attended my church for 21 years.
    I sang in the children's choir, I volunteered for vacation bible.
    My pastor baptized my brother. My father is buried there.
    I have donated to this church for over 10 years.
    I love and respect my church and my pastor.
    I just learned that my pastor's family was responsible for providing the ships and profitted greatly from the delivery of slaves to this country via the middle passage. Do I sill love my pastor? yes Do I agree with what he did? No.

Don't think that you have all the answers. It could happen

April 30, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  11. donna

Obama is the best thing we ever had happen to this country. I wish you all could see the wonderful and intelligent person he is and stop persecuting him.

We love you Obama

April 30, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  12. Greg Miller

Anderson – I hope you find something of substance to talk about instead of the Wright issue – it's really not a big deal and the media just makes it worse. The special you did on Iraq with David Gergen was excellent – more of this type of reporting would be applauded.

April 30, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  13. John

Hillary is insulting the mind and the intelligence of women by saying "it takes me too long to be prepared", by lying in silly things like snipers. She fits right into the stereotype that the general public assume about women.

I love to elect a woman president but not this one. I'll wait until I'll see a person like the Governor of Kansas or the senator of Missouri etc...

April 30, 2008 at 5:39 pm |
  14. greg

Once again history repeats itself a prominent black man being ruined by another black man. This is black on black crime at its highest. Rev.Wright for all the good he has done in his community. This betrayal is his defining moment. And elder black man causing a youn black man all these headaches. Very sad.
    Obama 08 Still.

April 30, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  15. Jim

Is CNN morphing into that "fair and Balanced" network? There is an important primary election going on and the people need to hear from the candidates not their spouses and strategists.

April 30, 2008 at 5:36 pm |
  16. Clem

I love American politics. It is the biggest reality show and this one this year isn't boring at all. I am stunned by the power of the media on the masses. I have seen collective delusion and collective amnesia. I have seen people in one moment cheered one candidate and the next booed the same. How people are judged by there records and criticised by their assoiciation yet talk of peacefull co-existence. I am shocked how unity is taken for uniformity. Yet, I doubt I see a large number of folks who truly think for themself than go with the flow. Read in between the line.

April 30, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  17. Mary in Oklahoma

Michelle Obama knew the teachings and ranting of their chosen church. She will have nothing to say that I can believe. Everything that is said about the Rev. Wright is just more political pandering.
    Senator Obama is not honest. He should just go back to South Chicago and bring some economic opportunities to his district. Help stop the crimes, gangs and drugs. If a small district can not be improved by Senator Obama's influence, how can anyone expect him to mend the problems of 50 states?

If Senator Obama is the best hope for America, we are indeed in bad trouble. He is all talk and no real solutions.

April 30, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  18. cazador

So a woman has to come in and clean up........GO HILLARY

April 30, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  19. T Davis

Seeds are planted early – why would you take your children to church week after week to train them if you disagree with what is being taught. Would you send them to a school that you felt was not a good influence unless you had no choice as to the school they would or could attend?

April 30, 2008 at 5:31 pm |
  20. xtina, chicago IL

Is ac360 asking the tough questions of Mrs Obama such as, does she still think this country is mean? Does she think some Americans who heard her say this country is mean will be insulted? Does she hold the same view as Barack that a child born to a teenager is a punishment? Why does she think capitalism should be replaced by big gov't? Why does she think it's not good for graduates to go into the private sector? In the 20 yrs. at TUCC, did she ever denounce a sermon by Rev Wright?

April 30, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  21. Maggie

AC360, first I have no money for food; I have no money for gas; soon I will have not job and then no home to call my own............ Please ask the important questions and get off of the wagon of sensationalism.......... we are a thinking, and knowledgable country and as voters we will sort out the what if's from the truths........... RIGHT now we need answers to the daily struggles all of us are facing and ALL of the canidates must answer them.......... Thank you

April 30, 2008 at 5:25 pm |
  22. Mary

As a Catholic who had no idea that priests I once considered wonderful holy men were molesting children behind the scenes, I can tell you that you don't always know the person standing in the front of the church. You can not hold one person accountable for the words and actions of another person. Does anyone truly believe that Barack Obama believes in what Wright has said about our government? Come on. Does anyone actually believe that Barack Obama, who was raised by a white mother, has a racist bone in his body? I'm tired of people using this as an excuse for not supporting Obama. Let the man speak for what he believes in. I'm certainly hopeful that nobody is holding me accountable for the pedophile priests in my faith or the bishops who allowed the abuse to continue. Maybe, just maybe, Barack Obama was in church for the faith, not necessarily the Pastor who came with it. Maybe he was there for prayer. Maybe he was there to be an instrument of peace.

April 30, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  23. Nathanial Portis

Michell Obama can hold her own and will do very well tonight. She is every mans dream smart beautiful and commited to her husband the two of them are a powerhose and an un stoppable force.

April 30, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  24. Ethel

Obama is still the best canidate out there. Hillary lied about Bosnia and repeated THE STORY several times. Nothing much has been said about it since her lame excuse OR SO CALLED APOLOGY.To make fun of it on the Leno show was disgraceful. She was not a good first lady and I certainly don't want her as my President ( NOR DO I WANT BILL CLINTON BACK IN THE WHITE HOUSE)!!! Perish the thought of having John McCain as President. We need someone better than these two. Go Obama!!!

April 30, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  25. Jolene

Perhaps it is because I'm still an undecided voter, but I'm not seeing all the bias that the bloggers keep mentioning is occurring between CNN, 360, and Obama. Every network is talking about Rev. Wright and Obama. The mixed opinions, some more passionate than others, has been very interesting to follow. With that being said, I'm looking forward to hearing what Michelle has to say tonight.

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

April 30, 2008 at 5:21 pm |
  26. John Doe

Wright blesses people who go to war, as part of his patriotic duties, rather than teaching love, the type discussed in the Bible. Then he claims the U.S. reaped 9/11 because of its attacks on other countries. It looks like the U.S. reaped the consequences of Wright's inability to teach love – what hypocracy! Wright is so bloodguilty for the lives lost on 9/11 and those being lost as a result of his teaching – that it is one's patriotic duty to kill another. I'm baffled!

April 30, 2008 at 5:19 pm |
  27. Pam

I agree with everyone who states we should be talking about the important issues: war, health care, economy and the crumbling of this nation. I still can't figure out what happened to separation of church and state? Who cares about Rev. Wright????

April 30, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  28. Victoria

To the people who say "Obama stayed in the church 20 years."

Millions of Catholics stayed on in churches were priests knowingly covered for and protected pedophiles. Why aren't you angry with them ?

Additionally, many people – including CNN newscasters who are parishioners at Wright's church have never heard him say anything untoward.

Just think about this: if Wright had been doing this for 20 years, why on earth would Hillary Clinton have invited him to the White House to comfort Bill during the Lewinsky crisis ? Do you honestly think she would have invited Wright if he had been incendiary at the time ?

Additionally, I don't know about the rest of you, but Obama was 26 for Pete's sake when he joined the church. For those of us who are in their forties, I know we all made choices in friends and activities that we may not choose now.

Obama wasn't running for President at age 26. Was he supposed to peer into the future and say "Oh, I shouldn't join this church because it might come up when I run for President."

One last thing: Hillary stayed in a marriage for more than 30 years to a man who has been unfaithful the entire time . You might want to ask her why she stayed with Bill for so long ?

April 30, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  29. jes

Hey Henri , You call Hilary liar! What do you call Obama who stated both on CNN & Fox that he in 20 years never once did he talk politics with Rev. Wright. I call that lies, enlightenig me please! What would you call it!

April 30, 2008 at 5:12 pm |
  30. Diamond Dixon

Secondly, to the girl who cant spell Obama,

Pastor Wright didnt make it seem like Obama was agreeing with him about anything. Obama and his family sat in those seats. No one forced them to do that. Wake UP!!!!!

Pastor Wright is not to blame for anything. If you were being ripped to shreds in the media, wouldnt you defend yourself?

These sermons are from 2001. Get a grip and talk about something that really matters........

April 30, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  31. Victoria

I hope you are not going to spend a half hour on Wright. I would like to hear how she is juggling her work on the campaign and raising two little girls.

April 30, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  32. Diamond Dixon

Reply to JTOMORROW:

Excuse me, whoever you are, but the church is NOT extremist. Until you've sat in a service, and not watched a 30 sec clip on youtube, U need to shut the hell up.

April 30, 2008 at 5:05 pm |
  33. Ibtesam

Michelle would be a great first lady, I am looking forward to listening to her interview. GO MICHELLE

April 30, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  34. Jaye

Come on, Anderson – what do you expect her to say? Ask her WHY they stayed with Wright for 20 years. Why they had their little girls sit and listen to this hatred. She will be smart enough to say that they didn't attend that church regularly – wait and see. She may be a smart cookie, but she is one angry woman. She is NOT First Lady material as much as her husband is NOT presidential material.

April 30, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  35. Mike P.

Come on Anderson, CNN. Let this Wright issue die. It's like you want the country to be divisive. You guys and Fox are fueling the hate and anger that Obama and most of America wants to change.

I used to love watching this network, but lately you've been acting like that high school snot that tries to instigate fights.

If that is your intention, let it be known. If not, talk about America and what America really needs, not some ego maniac who wants his 15 mins of fame. He's recieved it, move on.

Real Issues, PLEASE!

April 30, 2008 at 4:55 pm |
  36. sam

The fourth estate spends to much time on ideological "flap-trap". Do America a real favor – contrast what she will bring to the White House verses Bill Clinton?

April 30, 2008 at 4:54 pm |
  37. Barb

Ask her how her husband could make a statement like the one he made about his white grandmother. Quote " I could no longer disown the Rev. Wright than I could my white grandmother ". What did he mean by that.

April 30, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  38. Lance

Anderson: What made you a star on CNN was your coverage of Kartrina/NO. It showed your passion on the people effected. Are you running out of meaningful story to work on? Wright on Monday, Wright on Tuesday, Wright on Wed. When is it going to stop? How is this Wright guy impact American life??? It's a fair story if you somehow find something deep in this mess that is more meaningful to educate voters. So far, I heard none of that. Just Wright said this, Wright said that. When you devote so much airtime on such story, it shows you passed the peak of your career, much like the Obama campaign.
    I often go to CNN the first thing after I turn on my TV. I didn't want to do that lately because I'm tired of hearing CNN coverage of the same old things.

April 30, 2008 at 4:49 pm |
  39. JTomorrow

What is the truth about Michelle Obama who considers this a mean country she was never proud of. Was her father really a precinct captain for the Daley machine? She also sat in Rev. Wright's extremist church for 20 years. Does she also suddenly see the light about him?

April 30, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  40. Jeff

I cannot believe that Sen Obama had no clue as to his Reverends views. Senator Obama attended Rev. Wrights Church for 20 years....Rev. Wright baptized his chlidren.....Rev. Wright officiated at Obama's Wedding.....and Obama said that Reverend Wright was like a second Father to him.
    Even if what the Senator is saying Is True (that he had NO CLUE)... You would have to ask yourself....Do you want him running the country...since he was clueless to a Man he was so close to for 20 plus years.
    I am sorry to say that I voted for Sen. Obama in the Pa. primary....however he lost my vote if he continues on in November.

April 30, 2008 at 4:41 pm |
  41. African

It's a scandal that Obama is prevented from conveying his message of hope and reconciliation for America and the rest of the world because of a narcissist and self-centered pastor.
    In the meantime the other candidates and more particularly Clinton are taking advantage from this flood in a glass of water. We should be talking about imaginary snipers and the war much more and about the fact that the Clintons also sought the guidance of the same Wright.
    Last but not least, I think it is a greater LIABILITY for America to have a president whose current spouse is Bill the Cheater than a President whose EX-pastor is Wright!

April 30, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  42. Alice Cato

I think that it very sad what happen between Oboma and his Pastor it never should have happened and this is what the people wanted an know they have it, it is over because his pastor never should have made it seem like Obama agreed with him but was lying to the american people that is what made Oboma mad Oboma could have throwed him under the bus but he did not, he forced Oboma to do what he did I just pray for the both of them and Oboma can keep spreading the good word to the people.

April 30, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  43. Cheryl

I'm hoping that you'll ask Michelle some of these questions:

How can Barack say it wasn't the same man he met 20-years ago in front of the Press Corp but how about last Sunday when he was still defending Wright in a Fox interview? What about last month when he gave his famous race speech or about when they prayed together in the basement of the Illinois Capital last year? Or how about, the fact that Obama has said, not once but on many occasions that Wright was a father-figure in his church, the man who inspired him to become a Christian, married him, dedicated his house, baptized his children, gave him the title of his second book and theme for his presidential run and worked on his campaign. This isn't stuff of 20-years ago, this is stuff as recent as last week.

So why now? Because he had to? Why attend that Church with that type of rhetoric? Why for so long?

If Barack's message is that he is different, he's not a typical politician, if he is a uniter, if he transcends race, why didn't he explain this long ago and why do I feel this has created more of a racial divide in America at a time when we need to be pulling together on other issues of greater importance for the whole country?

April 30, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  44. Kathy

Looking forward to it ! See you tonight.

April 30, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  45. Mike C.

Mrs. Obama should be asked why earlier this year she said it was the first time she was proud of America and if she was present
    when her pastor made degrading comments (about America ) ,in their
    church.

April 30, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  46. Conchita Vecchio

What's there to talk about? She knew what Wright was all about just as much as her husband did.

April 30, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  47. Jeannette Winchell from St. Charles, Iowa

I was fortunate enough to be able to meet Barack and Michelle prior to the Iowa caucus and hear them both speak at several events and town hall meetings. I have the utmost respect for both of them. It deeply saddens me that others have not been able to see their faith, love of family and strong character. If we continue down this destructive road of distractions, we will lose the one hope we have to change Washington for the good. In the words of a rural Iowan, these are good people and we are blessed to know them. Please media, I'm begging you, get back to the real issues we are facing and allow others to get to know the Obamas the way we were able to here in Iowa.

April 30, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  48. Pat

I am terribly upset by the obvious timing of Rev Wright's volitile & inflammatory comments of the past Sun & Mon. How heartless and cruel, does he honestly believe they will have no negative impact on Senator Obama's campaign?!

I only hope voters can look beyond all this and truly see the man who carries such a vital message for all Americans.

April 30, 2008 at 4:10 pm |
  49. 08 Rouge

Hi Anderson,

I have appreciated your interviewing skills in the past when you have done programs for Oprah. I would like to see you have a conversation with Michelle and not an interrogation. Don't disappoint us!!! Rev Wright is not their whole life. It would be nice to hear more about her Mom and how her girls are doing with all this unnecessary media attention.

April 30, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  50. Jacqueline

Can't wait. I love her spirit and to listen to her speak as I do Barack. If Michelle Obama was running for President, I 'd vote for her as well.

April 30, 2008 at 3:50 pm |