April 30th, 2008

360° Interview with Michelle Obama on Wright controversy

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04/30/art.michelleobama.jpg%5D
Hey Bloggers,

Just wanted to let you guys know about our program tonight:

AC360° will have the first primetime sit-down interview with Michelle Obama, wife of Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.

We’ll talk about how the re-ignited Rev. Jeremiah Wright controversy is affecting the family, her husband's campaign, and everything in between….

Join us tonight at 10p ET for the 360° interview

1. Debbie

What are you trying to do Anderson, stick them a little harder.

April 30, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  2. Sue-BC-Canada

Between you & Larry King (Michael Moore) I'm really looking forward to getting home from work and tuning in. So far, Michele Obama has impressed me as being as sincere and honest as her husband. Be nice to her.

April 30, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  3. Diamond Dixon

Obama has lost my vote because of this. Not because of Pastor Wright, but because he denounced him

I have seen Obama in church before, sitting there listening to Rev. I cannot believe that he would throw Rev. Wright under the bus like that, when Rev. Wright just took responsibility for what he said. He separated himself as a minister, from Obama as a politician. And what did Obama do? He got on TV and trashed him.

What happens if Obama loses? Then he has severed ties between the man the backed him for running for President in the first place, when everyone was against it at first.

To me, Obama is a punk. He punked out on Rev. Wright, and did not defend him. Rev has been painted as a monster in the press, so NO ONE can judge his actions because NO ONE has received the negative press that he has.

I want a president that will stand up for what is right, no matter what the consequences are. And THAT IS NOT OBAMA!

April 30, 2008 at 3:29 pm |
  4. dora

I didn’t know that ‘low lifes’ existed among the presidential candidates.
    Hillary’s campaign has followed the ‘low life’ style by insulting, degrading and poisoning. Is Rev. Jeremiah Wright being paid by Hillary?
    I am interested in ‘BEST JUDGEMENT SINCE DAY ONE’ on: the war, gas, food and house prices, foreclosures, health care and college tuition; not in ‘low life’ style criticism.
    We need someone ‘calm, cool and collected’ with BEST CHARACTER and BEST JUDGEMENT – like OBAMA – for the decision making process in politics.

April 30, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  5. Jim

Enough!! Leave the Reverend Wright thing alone. There is other news. How much more do you want to hurt the Obama campaign. Perhaps the press can anger his wife also and get her to misspeak to extend this more. Does she have to back the bus over Reverend Wright too? Will that be enough for you?

What about Hillary's Pastor. Get her on to talk. Lets get to know her pastor. McCain? Does he have a pastor can we hear from him? Perhaps they have said something that can be blown up out of proportion.

Bill Clinton was freindly to Rev. Wright. Bring him on and have him drive over Pastor Wright too.

April 30, 2008 at 3:26 pm |
  6. Esenei Stephen

Obama is the only candidate for now that will be able to uinte this party.If he is not,repulicans will surly stay in power.I have hopes that Obama will come out in flying colours.His ex-pastor has nothing to offer.

April 30, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  7. Veda

I felt Senator Obama's pain and anger yesterday at what can only be described as a sneak attack by someone he considered a friend.

It is unfortunate that the Senator in Philadephia put everything on the line for this person who then turned around and betrayed him.
    Rev. Wright could have waited to fight back. If he was a real friend and someone that put his friend's campaign above his own possible book deals he would have remained behind the scenes.

I think Senator Obama should realize that if this is important to him that the fight for this campaign and for this country and the people that he can't place them second again. He did in Philadelphia and Rev. Wright proved that that was a mistake.

People are now wondering if he's strong and tough enough to fight for this and do what is necessary. Clinton is showing she is willing...
    and unfortunately letting Wright off the hook and distancing himself from "jump street" people are questioning his determination and gumption.

He now needs to put Rev Wright COMPLETELY behind him and focus on the people and winning this election. And that's it.

VA

April 30, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  8. EBC

God Bless Her...

April 30, 2008 at 3:19 pm |
  9. Charles..Los Angeles

Why...we need you to let it go now

April 30, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  10. Madhuri

I don't know what the big deal is about Michelle Obama attending your show tonite. It is much more of a publicity being given that needed. Why do they have to get a special treatment? I think despite Obama's lack of judgement about the Pastor, it seems to do no harm to him. He is allowed to make mistakes and be forgiven but not Hillary. Ridiculous!!!

April 30, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  11. valerie wentzell

Anderson....I look forward to your interview with Michelle Obama tonight. I am a Canadian rooting for Obama and am sick of all this unimportant slander that he's been hit with. You have brought a new meaning to journalism in my life and many others....your interview will help heal some damage, Valerie Wentzell

April 30, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  12. sowi papadopulous

Nothing will convience me to vote for Obama. He has changed is words many many times.

April 30, 2008 at 2:59 pm |
  13. Jennifer Dantas

I have been following this race tale for tale, and word for word. This is the most exciting race and I contribute this ALL to Obama. His fame and name has travelled far and wide, I sincerly feel that the World is looking towards America to pratice what they preach, and elect a President that will bring the world together,rather then divide us, he is neither black nor white he has the best of both worlds in him.

Jennifer D
    Toronto Canada

April 30, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  14. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Day one of the Obama/Wright controversy-entertaining
    Day two of the Obama/Wright controversy-yawn
    Day three of the Obama/Wright controversy-click to another channel

April 30, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  15. Blogger

I applaud Mrs. Obama for sharing her thoughts and concerns on how this is affecting her and her family. How does one explain this situation to children? I hope that she has found some way to help her throught this time.

April 30, 2008 at 2:53 pm |
  16. Martha

The thought of this woman being in the White House or representing this country in any way makes my blood run cold.

April 30, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  17. Carol

Enough of this controversary – be careful Michelle – saying one word off beat, might bring this to a head of the 3rd time.

Everyone is watching you. Make the conversation light and uneventful, for the sake of the campaign!

April 30, 2008 at 2:45 pm |
  18. Camille Johnson

Michelle I truly wish you Obam and your girls all the love and prayers at this time .Be strong!!! We love you !!!

April 30, 2008 at 2:44 pm |
  19. Larry from Georgetown, Tx

I hope she responds like the first lady she will become next January. Now that is optomistic for a cynic.

April 30, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  20. Mrs. Linda Carter

I'm glad that Mrs. Obama will get a chance to talk about the controversy surrounding Rev. Wright. It's refreshing to see this great woman stand by her husband. Obama for President.

April 30, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  21. Dennis

Many ask the question as to why Obama stayed at Trinity all those years. The answer is simple. Wright preached christian based sermons 99.9% of the time that's why. What we got from reverend Wright over the past weekend was the greatest hits of his thoughts over a 40 plus year span. If he was saying this stuff every Sunday don't you think we would have more footage. Afterall the church's service is broadcast on TV and the internet. Where's all the footage of this so called raving lunatic? I bet after 9/11 there were a lot of sermons in tuned with Wright's perspective in white and black churches. I wonder if any video surfaces from some of those.

April 30, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  22. Raymond

I believe this battle is not yet over. The daunting task with respect with the Rev. Wright issue should be brushed aside. My main contribution to Mrs Obama is that she is a woman of faith and that alone should lead them through this uphill battle to reclaim what has been destined by God to be. We all have come to terms with the fact that our loved and cherished friends, family relations have in more than one instance failed to stand-up to their obligations. More often than not, we fall and and we don't stay there, but rise up with a new enthusiasm to fight and finish the race. Mr Obama is a true fighter and the world world is watching and those of us who wish to see that change happen, only needs to pray hard for God's direction, in times of trial and tribulations as this.
    May the Lord give you and your husband the wisdom to come out of this controversy and let reason prevail in the minds of those who are still sitting on the fence.

April 30, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  23. Sharon from Indiana

I was an Obama fan. However, he has flip flopped on his position with regard to his pastor so much that I am now going to cast mty vote for Hillary. I thought he was honest and not e in this as a game, but I guessed wrong. In fact, many of my friends and I are thinking about how we could have been so fooled? Hillary is correct. Talk is just talk -20 years, a spiritual mentor, and a book title are no good for politics, so throw him to the curb. Which decision will he throw to the curb next? His desire to help the low income families?
    No longer supporting the candidate of great Judgment – so great that we should "trust" it.
    WAs Obama, now Hillary!

April 30, 2008 at 2:21 pm |
  24. Debra Edwards

I am an Ind. voter and lower middle class 50 plus woman that thinks that the issues as Obama has stated has taken 2nd place to this Wright story. I go to church for religion and forgiveness of sins, as Obama has stated from day 1. NO paster of a church dictates how an individual thinks. Most are placed by their superiors, besides he is NO LONGER the head paster there The more people talk of Wright the happier he is. You are feeding his EGO. Wright is not an Amer. problem. Let;s start looking at issues that are. Deb

April 30, 2008 at 2:19 pm |
  25. Mrs. Linda Carter

I'm glad that Mrs. Obama will be able to share her thoughts concerning all the controversy of her ex-pastor. I feel that there's just too much press concerning Rev, Wright and that it's a distraction from Senator Obama's campaign. As Senator Obama stated he is running for President and it's the issues that American are facing is what needs to be heard. I applaud this great woman for standing by her husband and I pray that he is the next President of the United States. WE NEED CHANGE!

April 30, 2008 at 2:17 pm |
  26. Pat_HOU

Obama simply has too much baggage/controversy. We all have Obama fatigue. I wish the media would stop giving their ongoing, bias coverage in favor of whatever Obama does. Last night the pundits tried to convince us that Obama was slow to come out and speak about the Wright issue because Obama had not heard or seen Wright's comments soon enough. Get real - Obama's watchdogs are able to report & respond to any issue from any TV or radio immediately, so why not the same immediate response on the Wright issue?.

April 30, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  27. Slater

Hats off to CNN: It is about time Obama deals with the hard questions...Hillary certainly rose to the occasion!

April 30, 2008 at 2:12 pm |
  28. David Joseph

How can something so personal as weather or not you should stay with a church for x amount of years be put into the spot lite; public person or not. I am catholic and although I dissagree with the fact that preist abused young boys for years; I still attend the catholic church and not intend on leaving any time soon. Anderson please share this anology with your audience tonight.

Thanks

April 30, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  29. Sheila

Hello Anderson

are you going to potray president jimmy carter as a person with radical views just like you did with Rev. Jeremiah Wright? President jimmy carter is blaming US policies in middle-east as terrorist act. Your show made a big scene about Rev. Jeremiah Wright than any other show i know. I hope your show Anderson cooper 360 degrees comes to 0 degrees. By the way where is Erica Hill?

April 30, 2008 at 2:07 pm |
  30. Stephanie Vogelsong

Anderson:
    I am unclear as to whether Michelle Obama actually opposes the controversial positions of Rev. Wright. Below I quote part of the introduction to her senior thesis at Princeton. If these divisive statements are no longer views held by her, what exactly influenced her reversal of opinion? I feel the first lady of the United States should be more open minded and unifying as a role model for both blacks and whites. Finally, her own words state that she would concentrate her resources to benefit the black community. This is dangerous language. How will a Obama led administration distribute its resources? As a white middle aged female, do I have to be worried about reverse discrimination?

MICHELLE OBAMA:
    "These experiences have made it apparent to me that the path I have chosen to follow by attending Princeton will likely lead to my further integration and/or assimilation into a White cultural and social structure that will only allow me to remain on the periphery of society; never becoming a full participant. This realization has presently, made my goals to actively utilize my resources to benefit the Black community more desirable."
    –quote from introduction to her Senior Thesis at Princeton University.
    (this thesis was held from public access until recently)

Stephanie from Ohio

April 30, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  31. jes

Hi Anderson, Is Mrs. Obama concerned that if the Obamas become the First Family the Rev. Wright will probably write a tell all book (or two)about them. For 20 years Wright served as confidante, spiritual advisor, friend etc. to the Obamas. He will make a fortune writing a bestseller about his long & personal relationship with President & First Lady. Now that Barack has denounced Wright & his ministry the Rev. will be a thorn in their side for years.

April 30, 2008 at 2:03 pm |
  32. M.

Do you wish you could turn back time and not give your husband the okay to run for the nomination?

April 30, 2008 at 2:02 pm |
  33. Lela-NC

I can't wait to watch it! Michelle is so honest and straight forward. I hope she'll state how it was a Clinton a high-ranking supporter that invited Wright to speak at the National Press Club. Either way she's a strong woman, and Obama is lucky to have her in his corner.

April 30, 2008 at 2:01 pm |
  34. Kathy

Good luck, Mrs. Obama, you are a lady of grace and light. I hope that the media doesn't take any of your comments out of context and use them to hurt you and Senator Obama (again). You are very brave. I wish the best for you and your family as this must be a difficult time for you all. Thank you for hanging tough and letting Senator Obama try to lead us all into better times. We are counting on him!! (Mr. Cooper: you better be nice or I'll be sending you a nasty-gram tomorrow. Worse than that ... I'll burn your book that proudly sits on my shelf!) Thanks, Anderson, for letting us comment.

April 30, 2008 at 1:59 pm |
  35. Rena

Anderson-

Personally I don't think Michelle need to have this interview. Everybody in America will be waiting for her to say the wrong thing. How will Obama move forward if everyone keep talking about it. Just rest assure all who are having a problem with voting for Obama will be looking for any excuse that will come out her mouth to use against him and his campaign. Are you all trying to set Obama up to lose? I mean let it go already. Why haven't you questioned Hillary on their relation with Wright?

April 30, 2008 at 1:56 pm |
  36. Dasun

"Great lies can not hide forever"
    it will reveled oneday,

April 30, 2008 at 1:55 pm |
  37. Regina Harpe

Why now,near the end of election religion comes into play. It's disturbing since government has seperated church and state.
    Now this shows up in the media -is it strategy. Sure is getting
    alot of air time.
    I'll still believe you walk the walk ,not talk the talk.

April 30, 2008 at 1:51 pm |
  38. skm

AC, Perhaps you could also ask about the Ayers, Dohrn and Auchi connections, and Odinga connections.

April 30, 2008 at 1:49 pm |
  39. Amelia

I'd like to know about Michele's thesis, why it is under lock & key. Did she write about the fact that she wasn't proud to be an American but only now since her husband has a chance at the White House with her being the first lady

April 30, 2008 at 1:49 pm |
  40. THERESA

I'm sorry but I just don't believe that any of Rev. Wright's comments are new to the Obama family. I think that Rev. Wright probably feels that Obama through him under the bus to protect his public image and I think he is probably right. Wright seems very passionate about his vies and I don't believe he would have or could have hidden them from the Obama's for 20 years.

April 30, 2008 at 1:49 pm |
  41. M.clarke, Mamaroneck, NY

It is not a good idea for Michelle Obama to be on CNN tonight. She has good intentions for her husband; however, her demeanor reminds me of that of Rev Wright. She is well educated but she comes off arrogant, I guess she was in church more that Obama.

April 30, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  42. emmanuel

I think Rev. Wright has been an enomous stombling block for Sen. Obama's campaign. I'm suprised that as a powerful intellectual as his stature he cannot see the damage he is causing his own church memeber's success in life. This is a big challenge to him to reflect. I think he has to go back to his mother for an advice.
    Thank you.
    Emmanuel
    St. Paul, Minnesota.

April 30, 2008 at 1:45 pm |
  43. Paris

This is not about her family. This is about the truth behind the believes of this family.
    This reflects the lack of judgment and leader ship on Obama’s part.
    He knew this man for 20 years, had him involved in every important event in his life and yet he had no Idea what Wright stood for and was all about!!!
    Obama is either not very smart or not telling the truth about who he is.
    If he was very courageous as some you in the media is calling it, Obama should have said all this two months ago.
    He didn’t until the pulls showed that he is loosing. I call this opportunist and certainly NOT courageous.

Either way he is not fit to be the president.

April 30, 2008 at 1:43 pm |
  44. Nelly

Oh, this should add to CNN's even-handed coverage of the Dem race.

April 30, 2008 at 1:39 pm |
  45. joyce

great she is a wonderful and smart lady. how great for barack to have such a strong lady to be by his side. with the two of them we will take back our country, pride.dignaty
    go micheall

April 30, 2008 at 1:37 pm |
  46. Mario O'dwyer

The country would be honoured to have you as our first lady!!!

April 30, 2008 at 1:36 pm |
  47. Annette Smith

The thing that troubles me the most is that Rev. Wright may be "right" when he says that Obama is a "politician". If Obama really wanted to go out in the community and do good why didn't he stand up against the radical preachings of Wright and express his beliefs? You cannot sit there for 20 years and not agree with these beliefs to some extent. If you were indeed offended or did not agree with these preachings would you have not left to find another church and/or pastor that espoused your belief system? He can say what he wants, this man was more than just his minister by his own admission, some of what he said had to rub off, after all we're talking of the 20 years of his adulthood. The last guy that wanted to be a "uniter" has a 28% approval rating.

April 30, 2008 at 1:34 pm |
  48. Debra of Rochester Hills MI

Good Afternoon Anderson,

As an Obama supporter I would first share my sorrow with the family. We forget these are real people just like we are. Many people don't understand that your church is apart of your family; so I'm sure this is a very difficult time. I would also like to express how Barack continues to rise to the occassion. In the face of adversity he stands up and takes personal responsibility each and every time; it's appreciated and respected.

One last thought/suggestion: I think it's important to address the bitter comments head on as he has done with everything else. He needs to give a press conference as he did on race and Wright; explaining what he meant and not allow Hillary and Mccain to define him. I saw an interview with Barack and Charlie Rose (4-years ago) talking about the same thing; this would help voters understand what he meant and to better understand that his opponents and the media have mangled his words to define him on their terms.

With you'll to the end
    Debra
    Rochester Hills, MI

April 30, 2008 at 1:33 pm |
  49. JIM IN OKLA

THIS SHOULD BE GOOD, SHE IS PRETTY GOOD AT SPEAKING BEFORE THINKING.....................HAS THERE BEEN ANY COMMENTS FROM ANY OF THE OTHER BLACK LEADERS, AL SHARPTEN OR JESSIE JACKSON CONCERNING REV. WRITE? THEY ARE ALWAYS THE FIRST TO CONDEM OTHERS ON RACE AND HATE.

April 30, 2008 at 1:32 pm |
  50. emmy

it's all a plan..Obama and Wright..scripted srategy..

April 30, 2008 at 1:29 pm |